I am not sure why he has to prove his argument (viewpoint) ... these are all just opinions . Regardless, here is another opinion . Consumers tend to want the same things that others have. Yes, the herd mentality is strong. Say that I use an iOS or an Android phone, might I check BlackBerry World to see if my favorite apps are there ? I would not be looking for maybe's or could be's. I want the apps that I want. Same with the articles that consumers read . Hey, hot new app, is it available for BB10 ?

You may be correct that the OS may make certain apps redundant but I am not sure it matters when the buying public has accepted the norm that apps are required since OS and Android offer them.
    iOS and Android need business apps to make up for the shortcomings of what is already provided by BB10. It is up to Blackberry's marketing to show people that they already have the business tools. Hopefully the new CEO will do that. It is sad that people don't educate themselves before buying a product.
    01-15-14 03:52 PM
    Having cross-platforms apps is crucial. I learned that the hard way with Password Keeper. Having your data restricted to one platform can be an issue.

Take Evernote for instance. I'm a heavy user. I like that I can use it across platforms. Whatever device I'm on (of the major platforms + web) I can get to my notes.

But there is no way Password Keeper is as functional for me as Ascendo Datavault.

In multiplatform households (and a multiplatform world), cross-platform functionality trumps the stock experience the vast majority of the time, IMHO.
    A lot of those 50 apps are no cross platform.
    01-15-14 03:53 PM
    The entire 'side load' fraction will ruin BlackBerry longterm. Why will a Dev develop an app, when you can SIDELOAD an android app.

Really sad. Imagine iPhone users SIDELOADING windows apps. Hoe pathetic.

I ask you people. Would you still buy a Blackberry if major apps like Facebook, Twitter, contact app, weather App, or browser where fully Android ports?

Why not changing completely to Android?

I want native BlackBerry apps. Proud if using BlackBerry apps. And no crappy android ports.

Posted via CB10
    The reason why they are doing this is because they can't convince big name app developers so this closes the gap and makes the "majority" consumer happy. A kid from high-school and etc won't be able to tell the difference

But then people there are like yourself (minority) who won't touch a port. Which is good and all because BB10 had their own apps and us tech geeks care about how they run and all. Even compare. But in reality that's such a small fraction of consumers.
    Enterprise is the same way, they need productivity/speed for the apps so they most likely will only run a native BB10 app but the business apps will always come to Blackberry.

Instead of complaining about it. Stop being selfish and go along with the majority of the people since you are in that 5% margin.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 04:00 PM
    A lot of those 50 apps are no cross platform.
    Fair point, but the ones I need generally are.

Take Google Hangouts, for instance. We use it for the free multi-person chat and collaboration tools. That does limit platforms, but BBM is underpowered in this feature set.

So... the question then becomes do folks go for the platform with easy access solutions, or for the one somewhat prohibitive workarounds?

Last time I checked, BB10 Evernote was not even up to par with the version on other platforms.
    01-15-14 04:01 PM
    Function is the key for handset. What ever they name it are depend upon the OS platform and Corp policy. If you are byod,the cross platform would be the best. App just an interface provided for easy customized usage. The best and most efficient UI would be single platform with native software optimized by specific OS platform. Minimum overhead. Like the machine language. However, your wife and kids may not like it. If you decoupled work to life in term of applications, that is also not efficient to use hardware and other resources.

Posted via CB10
    01-15-14 04:07 PM
    No. I said that they are and if you look at the descriptions of the apps, they are the same as provided by BB10 and Blackberry. Prove me wrong. Can you tell me why those two apps you mentioned are better than the BB10 counterparts? I am waiting for your answer.
    It's pretty clear you've never participated in a structured debate before. You need to prove your point, not try and force someone to disprove you. You need to prove that the apps are equivalent. You're not going to do that without using both. Therefore you have no idea whether or not they're equivalent or if you just *think* they are. I mean come on, you listed BBM as equivalent to 3-4 social networking apps. Unless you can access all of those social networks and their associated features via BBM (hint: you can't), then your point is just plain wrong.
    01-15-14 04:17 PM
    Know your demographics. If your demographics are business apps, then BB10 is greater than Android. Most Android users want free apps and unless you partner with ads companies, you will make more money with BB10 users.
    This is so patently false. There are significantly more Android business users than BB10. Maybe you will make more money per BB10 user; but, overall, you should make multiple times on Android.

BB10 has not gained significant business traction. If it had, its smartphone marketshare would be more than a fraction of 1%.

BB10 is still a new platform though, and not all of the ground has been staked. It's fairly easy for a decent app to attract attention.
    The developer could just write an .apk and submit that to Blackberry. if the app gains traction in BB10, then he's already written an app for Android. This is especially relevant for small developers who have limited time resources.

In terms of native apps, Windows Phone is a significantly better platform to garner attention for a number of reasons. The Windows Phone user base is much bigger than the Blackberry one. Blackberry App World has blatant app spam issues (40k app from one developer) whereas the Windows Phone store is much cleaner and easier to gain visibility.

Also, Microsoft happens to be a major developer of developer tools (Visual Studio, etc) and programming for Windows Phone has significant parallels to programming for Windows. Oh, and a Lumia 520 costs only like 50 USD. And no aspect ratio shenanigans caused from devices like the Q5 and Q10.
    Last edited by sentimentGX4; 01-15-14 at 04:39 PM.
    01-15-14 04:17 PM
    Because there are a lot of users who will download a native app over one ported from Android on their BB10 if given a choice between the two.
    I still refer the android version of TheScore to the BB10 version. Afterall, I get push notifications from neither anyways

Z10STL100-1/10.2.1.1259 "the iPhone Killa"
    01-15-14 04:53 PM
    It's pretty clear you've never participated in a structured debate before. You need to prove your point, not try and force someone to disprove you. You need to prove that the apps are equivalent. You're not going to do that without using both. Therefore you have no idea whether or not they're equivalent or if you just *think* they are. I mean come on, you listed BBM as equivalent to 3-4 social networking apps. Unless you can access all of those social networks and their associated features via BBM (hint: you can't), then your point is just plain wrong.
    OK. I see that you won't answer. You were the one that challenged my points and didn't use anything to back up your challenge. I will just accept that as a fail.
    01-15-14 08:10 PM
    This is so patently false. There are significantly more Android business users than BB10. Maybe you will make more money per BB10 user; but, overall, you should make multiple times on Android.

BB10 has not gained significant business traction. If it had, its smartphone marketshare would be more than a fraction of 1%.

The developer could just write an .apk and submit that to Blackberry. if the app gains traction in BB10, then he's already written an app for Android. This is especially relevant for small developers who have limited time resources.

In terms of native apps, Windows Phone is a significantly better platform to garner attention for a number of reasons. The Windows Phone user base is much bigger than the Blackberry one. Blackberry App World has blatant app spam issues (40k app from one developer) whereas the Windows Phone store is much cleaner and easier to gain visibility.

Also, Microsoft happens to be a major developer of developer tools (Visual Studio, etc) and programming for Windows Phone has significant parallels to programming for Windows. Oh, and a Lumia 520 costs only like 50 USD. And no aspect ratio shenanigans caused from devices like the Q5 and Q10.
    Users does not mean paying users. I guess you missed the article I posted where most apps submitted are downloaded for free and developers don't make money. I am talking about behind the scenes business that will pay for development of internal apps. That is where I made money in the past developing and will continue to do so in the future.
    01-15-14 08:13 PM
    Users does not mean paying users. I guess you missed the article I posted where most apps submitted are downloaded for free and developers don't make money. I am talking about behind the scenes business that will pay for development of internal apps. That is where I made money in the past developing and will continue to do so in the future.
    I had not realized that you are a developer who delivers apps to business clients. It seems to me this thread is populated by developers and would be developers who have invested time and energy in BB10 and might like to see BlackBerry becoming "the business enterprise phone" and there is the rest of us who say great, I can get a BB10 phone and have a bank app or use my phone to operate my thermostat ( the list is endless ).

I don't see why BlackBerry can't serve both groups. I do not see android apps as a threat to your goals and aspirations.
    On the other hand, I do not see how BlackBerry can continue as just a business phone seller. Their strategy for developing countries ( Jakarta) would suggest that the business phone strategy will be pursued mainly in the USA , where BlackBerry seems to run out of options.

Edit : I am in group 2 who just want to access to BB10 apps if available or android apps if that is all there is.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-15-14 at 09:58 PM.
    01-15-14 09:45 PM
    I had not realized that you are a developer who delivers apps to business clients. It seems to me this thread is populated by developers and would be developers who have invested time and energy in BB10 and might like to see BlackBerry becoming "the business enterprise phone" and there is the rest of us who say great, I can get a BB10 phone and have a bank app or use my phone to operate my thermostat ( the list is endless ).

I don't see why BlackBerry can't serve both groups. I do not see android apps as a threat to your goals and aspirations.
    On the other hand, I do not see how BlackBerry can continue as just a business phone seller. Their strategy for developing countries ( Jakarta) would suggest that the business phone strategy will be pursued mainly in the USA , where BlackBerry seems to run out of options.
    Did you see the link I posted?

Get-rich-quick schemes might not work for app developers | Mobile - CNET News

Investing time in any app is most likely a losing situation if you want to make money no matter what platform. Do it for fun, but if you want to make money, you have to change your focus. I did this years ago. Apps are really glorified web portals to other services that you would pay for, but most apps (web sites) are free. The money is in other areas.

Example: A movie chain puts out an app, the app is free, the movies you see are not. That is where the money is.
    stlabrat likes this.
    01-15-14 09:52 PM
    A miracle to probably.
    06-29-17 10:51 AM
    the incentive to develop BB10 is satisfy once' own ego. (if you are super good and got Pokemon Go or angry bird or some killer app, you might turned BB10 platform around).
    06-29-17 01:45 PM
    the incentive to develop BB10 is satisfy once' own ego. (if you are super good and got Pokemon Go or angry bird or some killer app, you might turned BB10 platform around).
    That would have to be some awesome app.
    And if the developer could develop for BB10, why would they when they could target Android or IOS and reach a much larger market?
    Heck they could target android and BB10 simultaneously with the same code.
    So possible, but ridiculously improbable.
    06-29-17 04:56 PM
    you bumped a post over 3 years old....
    kbz1960 likes this.
    06-29-17 04:58 PM
66 123