With 10.2.1 coming and the ability to run most Android apps, what is the incentive for the major/popular app developers to develop a BB10 native version of their app? Or even upgrade their current BB10 version?
    Also how much will it take away from the BB10 experience, if 90% apps that we use becomes Android only?
    01-13-14 11:38 AM
    Worthwhile question.

Simple answer: BB10 apps will still perform better and generally look better. If BlackBerry can build a niche BB10 as a "premium" and/or "enterprise" platform and build the userbase, then there will be enough incentive to draw developers.
    01-13-14 11:41 AM
    1. I find a lot of ports and direct APK's do not fully run in the bakcground. For example tap on the starbucks app to open it, then active frame it right away, do something else, come back and open it a minute later. When you re-open it then the original splash screen comes up as if you just opened it. Seems to be the case for most android apps that I personally have. Its not a free-for-all in the background with them. With a native BB10 app you can open it, active frame it, then come back and its loaded as if it had stayed on the screen.

2. No awkward diagonal swipe for back, or ugly default pinned bar

3. Consistent UI for apps

4. Runs faster then a port it seems

5. Fully functioning with all sign in and notification options working

etc

These advantages for the end user will result in better reviews and make people more likely to download and spend money on your product
    01-13-14 11:59 AM
    The question is what will be the incentive for developers to submit their apps to BlackBerry World to begin with. As I understood it was a pretty simple process already. What if Netflix and Instagram don't want to submit their apps to BlackBerry World in APK or any format? The rumors of Google or Amazon stores coming to BB10 sounded encouraging, the clearer picture that BlackBerry World will accept APK's is much less encouraging. Will have to wait and see about the whole actively pursuing developers that has been reported.

It appears that BB10 is heading for a strictly enterprise type market. If that is the case, then I'm sure developers that specialize in enterprise type applications will still want any advantage they can get an will go through the process of making their apps "native".

I just want the option to easily get an app and it's regular updates. And they have those apps within my backups so I don't lose information or game progress when I load a leaked OS every couple of weeks.
    01-13-14 12:01 PM
    With 10.2.1 coming and the ability to run most Android apps, what is the incentive for the major/popular app developers to develop a BB10 native version of their app? Or even upgrade their current BB10 version?
    Also how much will it take away from the BB10 experience, if 90% apps that we use becomes Android only?
    Our company is developing mobile apps. I write the BB10 and Android versions, another programmer does the iOS version. I can develop the BB10 apps in less time than the other platforms.
    01-13-14 12:01 PM
    Our company is developing mobile apps. I write the BB10 and Android versions, another programmer does the iOS version. I can develop the BB10 apps in less time than the other platforms.
    I'm not sure the saving in development cost for BB10 is enough for a company to support yet another platform. If they can reach 95% of the market on two platform, why bother with the 5%.
    01-13-14 01:37 PM
    I'm not sure the saving in development cost for BB10 is enough for a company to support yet another platform. If they can reach 95% of the market on two platform, why bother with the 5%.
    Know your demographics. If your demographics are business apps, then BB10 is greater than Android. Most Android users want free apps and unless you partner with ads companies, you will make more money with BB10 users.
    damien kupuku likes this.
    01-13-14 01:38 PM
    1. I find a lot of ports and direct APK's do not fully run in the bakcground. For example tap on the starbucks app to open it, then active frame it right away, do something else, come back and open it a minute later. When you re-open it then the original splash screen comes up as if you just opened it. Seems to be the case for most android apps that I personally have. Its not a free-for-all in the background with them. With a native BB10 app you can open it, active frame it, then come back and its loaded as if it had stayed on the screen.

2. No awkward diagonal swipe for back, or ugly default pinned bar

3. Consistent UI for apps

4. Runs faster then a port it seems

5. Fully functioning with all sign in and notification options working

etc

These advantages for the end user will result in better reviews and make people more likely to download and spend money on your product
    I guess it depends on how much 2-3% of bad rating will have on the overall success of an app.
    01-13-14 01:43 PM
    The entire 'side load' fraction will ruin BlackBerry longterm. Why will a Dev develop an app, when you can SIDELOAD an android app.

Really sad. Imagine iPhone users SIDELOADING windows apps. Hoe pathetic.

I ask you people. Would you still buy a Blackberry if major apps like Facebook, Twitter, contact app, weather App, or browser where fully Android ports?

Why not changing completely to Android?

I want native BlackBerry apps. Proud if using BlackBerry apps. And no crappy android ports.

Posted via CB10
    milo53 likes this.
    01-13-14 02:14 PM
    I ditched my iPhone for a Q10 and though the lack of native apps is annoying, as well as android apps that simply don't function properly, I'm getting used to not wasting so much time on my Q10 like I was on my iPhone toying with useless apps.

The only app that I really want is a encrypting/decrypting app like Sypher that I had on my iPhone. I'm surprised BlackBerry hasn't made one to go along with their Password Keeper app.

I really need this app for files in my Dropbox as well as storing files on my Q10/Media Card and I haven't found and good working ones in BlackBerry World or Google Play.

I'm going to start learning how to develope BB10 apps because I love BlackBerry and am here to stay.

Posted via CB10 with a Q10 (:
    01-13-14 02:30 PM
    Know your demographics. If your demographics are business apps, then BB10 is greater than Android. Most Android users want free apps and unless you partner with ads companies, you will make more money with BB10 users.
    But you are targeting business users no? Sure most Android users in general may want free apps, but can you say the same about the ones conducting business? I know a ton of Android users who use Android on their business smartphone. They have no problem spending money on apps that help them make money.

Wouldn't the business user in general be willing to actually spend money on apps that help them run their business and make them money?
    mikeo007 likes this.
    01-13-14 02:31 PM
    If this were true then we would see more business apps and VPN clients for Bb10. Right now I can get Cisco AnyConnect or Junos Pulse for iOS and Android, but not for BB10, even though Cisco said AnyConnect was going to be available at the launch event for BB10. I don't own these phones, I own a Z10 and the lack of needed business apps is frustrating. Many businesses are migrating away from BlackBerry. My wife's last two business phones were and iPhone and at her new job was just given a GS4.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 03:01 PM
    If this were true then we would see more business apps and VPN clients for Bb10. Right now I can get Cisco AnyConnect or Junos Pulse for iOS and Android, but not for BB10, even though Cisco said AnyConnect was going to be available at the launch event for BB10. I don't own these phones, I own a Z10 and the lack of needed business apps is frustrating. Many businesses are migrating away from BlackBerry. My wife's last two business phones were and iPhone and at her new job was just given a GS4.

Posted via CB10
    If they are internal business apps to help a company run a business, you wouldn't see them. I have been in the software business for over 20 years. I have written a lot of business apps. You will never see any of them. It has paid my bills for a long time. Just because it isn't on Blackberry World, doesn't mean they don't exist. Most of our internal BB10 apps are pushed out via BES10 to the work side.

Good business developers work with local businesses to supply their customers for solutions. You have to find a niche to be profitable. I have been working this way for over 20 years. If you would have 5 local customers that bring in $50,000, is that as good as trying to sell on BBWorld your app for a dollar and hope that you get 250,000 users? Or is it better?
    laketrout73 and badiyee like this.
    01-13-14 03:21 PM
    If they are internal business apps to help a company run a business, you wouldn't see them. I have been in the software business for over 20 years. I have written a lot of business apps. You will never see any of them. It has paid my bills for a long time. Just because it isn't on Blackberry World, doesn't mean they don't exist. Most of our internal BB10 apps are pushed out via BES10 to the work side.

Good business developers work with local businesses to supply their customers for solutions. You have to find a niche to be profitable. I have been working this way for over 20 years. If you would have 5 local customers that bring in $50,000, is that as good as trying to sell on BBWorld your app for a dollar and hope that you get 250,000 users? Or is it better?
    Right but most of Chen's regulated markets are larger customers and government. Do you have a lot of customers using Bb10 currently? I hope so as I want them to succeed. I'm simply seeing a lot of holes right now in the app front preventing easy adoption or migration to BB10. FIPS is the only thing keeping them alive in the places I support, and people are constantly trying to get waivers from that requirement.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 03:36 PM
    There is no incentive and bb10 will continue to get ripped by the media for it as a bootleg versi�n of android.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 03:58 PM
    But you are targeting business users no? Sure most Android users in general may want free apps, but can you say the same about the ones conducting business? I know a ton of Android users who use Android on their business smartphone. They have no problem spending money on apps that help them make money.

Wouldn't the business user in general be willing to actually spend money on apps that help them run their business and make them money?
    Funny thing is, most Blackberry users want free apps too, they just have a lot less options.
    The benefits to users were outline pretty well above.
    As a developer though, I have basically no incentive anymore to develop native BB10 apps for the general consumer. I'd be much farther ahead to target the gigantic Android market, and submit the Android version directly to Blackberry world to tap both markets. With a decent UI, the majority of Blackberry users won't care if the app is an Android port. In fact, I think most wouldn't even know it's an Android port.
    avt123 likes this.
    01-13-14 07:01 PM
    None, and that's the problem. Devs can port their Android apps so why would they put the effort into creating native apps, especially on a platform that isn't selling. Or why would they even port their apps to a platform that isn't selling? I personally don't think ports/sideloads should have been a "thing" and I wish BlackBerry put the effort into getting devs to develop native apps.

Photo a Day Channel: C002B5A07
    jem9777 likes this.
    01-13-14 07:05 PM
    Mac back then, even with parallel desktop and booth camp, still bad native apps. So I don't see why BlackBerry cannot.

Posted via CB10
    01-13-14 07:08 PM

We are not talking about inhouse custom built apps. If someone is willing to pay, someone will build it. I'm sure if someone offer Microsoft a billion dollar, they will build a Skype app in what ever flavour you want. We are talking about apps that company/developer build to be consume by the masses from BB world.
    01-13-14 07:13 PM
    It will be the slow death of native BlackBerry development. What company is going to devote the time and resources to write a BlackBerry 10-specific version (and keep it constantly updated with new features, interface, etc.), when the Android version works "just as well" in their minds, and they can say they still support BlackBerry? It won't be long before you see the major apps, the NFL, New York Times, MLB, SoundHound, CBS, iHeartRadio, etc., of the world, "update" their app to the Android version. It's inevitable.

You know what? I won't like it, but I won't really blame them either. It also makes me that much more likely to just switch to an Android phone. If I want Android apps, why not just get the real thing?
    ajst222, JeepBB and DrBoomBotz like this.
    01-13-14 07:21 PM
    Because there are a lot of users who will download a native app over one ported from Android on their BB10 if given a choice between the two.
    01-13-14 07:34 PM
    Because there are a lot of users who will download a native app over one ported from Android on their BB10 if given a choice between the two.
    When you say "a lot of users", that isn't enough users for devs to put real effort into developing for and supporting BB10. The sales are abysmal.

JeepBB, mikeo007 and devin266 like this.
    01-13-14 07:37 PM
    That is my point, there will be no choice.
    01-13-14 07:38 PM
    When you say "a lot of users", that isn't enough users for devs to put real effort into developing for and supporting BB10. The sales are abysmal.

Well if they had gone the way BB10 app only, sales will be even more abysmal than now!

Posted via CB10
    SDTRMG likes this.
    01-13-14 08:02 PM
    Well if they had gone the way BB10 app only, sales will be even more abysmal than now!

Posted via CB10
    In the short run it might not be great but in the long run it would have paid off considering we wouldn't be in a tougher situation once (if) BB10 grows.

01-13-14 08:07 PM
66 123