Except BlackBerry did say other services would be shut down besides BlackBerry World... so his #2 statement isn't exactly correct. Especially swimmingly.... that implies there will be no issues for users to deal with. I do think BB10 will work, but anyone wanting to continue to use it will have to struggle to keep a float.
    I'm sorry, but this is simply false. Blackberry named Blackberry World and some additional services such as the Playbook video calling service and Blackberry Travel. They've made no direct statement about closing down anything else and have given every indication that all other services will continue to work with no trouble.
    03-20-19 02:07 PM
    I'm sorry, but this is simply false. Blackberry named Blackberry World and some additional services such as the Playbook video calling service and Blackberry Travel. They've made no direct statement about closing down anything else and have given every indication that all other services will continue to work with no trouble.
    Additional services "such as" ...

Emphasis on "such as".
    03-20-19 02:50 PM

Emphasis on "such as".
    Pretty sure Maps will be one of those services.
    03-20-19 02:58 PM

Emphasis on "such as".
    Blackberry specifically cited a number of services that they'd shut down, with specific dates. They did shut down those services on those specific dates. Is it theoretically possible that they might shut down other services, despite all evidence to the contrary? Sure it is. It's also theoretically possible that Google might suddenly decide to value privacy or that Blackberry Mobile will release its actual sales numbers.

However, none of these things are likely. BBL has been very clear with what they're shutting down and when. A company that is going to randomly turn off services with no notice doesn't bother to be that specific.

The only service that is known to be shutting down is Blackberry World. Anything else is speculation and causing unnecessary fear amongst less technical BB10 users.
    03-20-19 03:01 PM
    Blackberry specifically cited a number of services that they'd shut down, with specific dates. They did shut down those services on those specific dates. Is it theoretically possible that they might shut down other services, despite all evidence to the contrary? Sure it is. It's also theoretically possible that Google might suddenly decide to value privacy or that Blackberry Mobile will release its actual sales numbers.

However, none of these things are likely. BBL has been very clear with what they're shutting down and when. A company that is going to randomly turn off services with no notice doesn't bother to be that specific.

The only service that is known to be shutting down is Blackberry World. Anything else is speculation and causing unnecessary fear amongst less technical BB10 users.
    I already indicated I agree with you with respect to the likelihood of everything blowing up on Jan 1.

But "such as" is not exactly an assurance either. And what about Feb? Mar? The following Jul?

I just don't walk away with that "just swimmingly" feeling.
    03-20-19 03:14 PM
    I already indicated I agree with you with respect to the likelihood of everything blowing up on Jan 1.

But "such as" is not exactly an assurance either. And what about Feb? Mar? The following Jul?

I just don't walk away with that "just swimmingly" feeling.
    I appreciate your agreement, and hope that we can mostly enjoy this newfound detente.

The original post was asking about this December, so January 1 would be the relevant date. As for "such as," given the totality of the evidence that was not intended as a "but we might throw additional things in later!" but rather a "here's what we're talking about" explanatory phrase. I find it extremely unlikely that BB will go to the trouble of shutting things down after 1/1/2020 given their comments to date on the matter.

As for "just swimmingly" that's certainly up to you. I don't walk away with that feeling when using any Android device, yet you and others would no doubt assure me the security and possibly privacy of Blackberry Mobile devices is rock-solid. The evidence says that everything will continue to work just swimmingly after 12/31/2019 with the exception of Blackberry World. Others are free to have different perspectives or worry about things to which the evidence does not point, but I think it's a valid adjective given what we know.
    03-20-19 03:30 PM
    The whole article was on them ending BB10 and BBOS, but still giving user two more years... except for a few services that would be ended before the two years was up.

I don't discount the possibility of them continuing to support BB10 services, just don't give it very good odds. Chen is a cost cutter and at that point he really has no obligation to keep spending resources on keeping BBID, Assistant, Maps and whatever other service requires a "connection" or licensing fees to be paid.

Look at Microsoft and the BANDS... cheaper to give users a refund on their four year old purchases (those actively using them), rather than keep supporting the services those devices required to function. But by all account BB10 phones will still work, just in more limited ways than before - so don't count on a BlackBerry refund (but then maybe that's where the loyalty rewards that article talked about finally show up?)
    03-20-19 03:43 PM
    You forgot the two most essential features:
    - Lithuanian Language Support
    - Dark Theme
    I'd gladly return to BB10 if these features ever made it into the OS.

03-20-19 05:13 PM
    I'd gladly return to BB10 if these features ever made it into the OS.

I’d buy a lottery ticket but only if a winner.
    DrBoomBotz and ppeters914 like this.
    03-20-19 11:27 PM
    You forgot the two most essential features:
    - Lithuanian Language Support
    - Dark Theme
    Hahaha! Thank you. Haven't heard "Lithuanian Language" in ages. Made me smile.
    03-31-19 10:16 AM
35 12