When would I use wifi instaed of 3g? And what does it offer instaed of the network?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    07-01-10 11:37 AM
    You would use wifi when you have no 3G data connection to conenct to the internet. You can do most things while on wifi except make calls. If your on a T-Mobile 9700 you can make wifi calls using their UMA service.
    07-01-10 11:42 AM
    I will use my situation to explain. I work in a large hospital that has spotty 3G coverage. Therefore I get our private wireless when I need it.

Second question: One word speed

07-01-10 11:43 AM
    Usually your wifi connection will be quicker then 3g, and wifi comes in handy if you don't have any service. Also if you are on a plan with limited data, you would use wifi when you have access to it.
    07-01-10 11:44 AM
    Faster web browsing
    07-01-10 11:50 AM
    My WiFi seems to be about the same speed as my 3G connection. Any tips on tweaking adjustments on a Lynksis Router?

07-01-10 12:03 PM
    Can help on data usage for those that care.

Example, I use PodTrapper and download a good deal of podcasts. I usually only DL when I am charging in the cradle at night.

By using/having wifi, the DLs not only are much quicker, but I am not using the network and potentially heading towards that magical threshhold where Verizon caps unlimited usage.
    07-01-10 12:05 PM

Example, I use PodTrapper and download a good deal of podcasts. I usually only DL when I am charging in the cradle at night.

By using/having wifi, the DLs not only are much quicker, but I am not using the network and potentially heading towards that magical threshhold where Verizon caps unlimited usage.
    I hear a lot of people talking about Podcasts. How is it?

07-01-10 12:07 PM

Verizon doesn't cap data downloaded directly to the handheld from the network, EVER. Only when you tether to a laptop or similar and use your 3G data connection for another device. On top of that, I doubt that you would use 5GB worth of data on just audio podcasts.

To answer OP's question, WIFI goes faster than CDMA 3G and any data transfer (podcasts, streaming audio or video, app updates or DLs, etc.) would complete much sooner than using the network.
    07-01-10 12:27 PM
    Ok. So its faster. Thanks!

07-01-10 01:03 PM
    and don't forget, you can make/take calls and browse the web with wifi enabled
    07-01-10 01:26 PM
    and don't forget, you can make/take calls and browse the web with wifi enabled
    Really? I was not aware of that, so i can browse CB or even BBM while on the phone...hmm
    07-01-10 01:56 PM
    Really? I was not aware of that, so i can browse CB or even BBM while on the phone...hmm
    yes voice goes over the mobile network, data flows over wifi
    07-01-10 02:11 PM
    well I understand that, just didnt think the phone would. Since its Verizon and all
    07-01-10 02:26 PM
    Yes. I tested the other day. I called myself and left the phone connection on with my secretary and then started cruising the web and talking - it worked.
    07-01-10 02:35 PM
    Yeah i had to test it also, It def works. Thanks plkcable for bringing that to my attention.
    07-01-10 02:36 PM
    Wifi is especially nice when out of the country for free access to email and web. Depending on local wifi tho it doesn't always seem faster than verizons network.

07-01-10 02:40 PM
    I hear a lot of people talking about Podcasts. How is it?

I do the same as jbl...I use PodTrapper and download podcasts...even video podcasts during the night as my Bold charges and I do it over my home wi-fi and therefore avoid the cellular network. However, I must say that I used to do it over the cellular network and never DID hit that magical number where they would charge me so...

if you've never used PodTrapper or downloaded podcasts, you're missing out on a powerful bit of what ur phone can do. Nothing like taking some downtime to watch an episode of Around the Horn from last night on my Bold...tha automatically downloaded to my phone during the night, or listen to the latest Crackberry podcast by Kevin, Adam and Blaze...

For 9.99 it's a great app and you can trial it first. I decided two days into the trial I HAD to buy it!
    VersatileMonkey.com - BlackBerry software including PodTrapper, the podcast manager | VersatileMonkey.com

All made better by wi-fi...faster downloads!!!!
    Last edited by jaydee5799; 07-01-10 at 03:07 PM.
    07-01-10 02:55 PM
    Wifi was a big reason I chose to use my upgrade to get the bold and it kept me from jumping over to android EVO. After almost a week with the phone I honestly can't see my phone doing anything faster while web browsing. Maybe I am just in a really strong sprint 3G area or something. I guess it could be browser related too since I am using the BB browser. My tour rendered pages faster than the Bold does. Of course on the tour I was able to use opera mini which is a huge step up from the BB browser. I was hoping the BB browser would be faster with wifi so I am a little let down. Anybody heard of a fix for the opera mini trackpad issue? I would rather browse opera mini on 3G the BB browser on wifi. Maybe OS6 and webkit will be the fix for everything. This is by no means a slam on the Bold, I do like it and have no regrets buying it. I bought it for what it will have later rather than what it has now.

07-01-10 03:48 PM
    I would imagine that if you don't have service in your house, you can use Skype with wifi from your phone for phone calls if you have a Skype account. Most of the subscription-based calling plans are pretty cheap too; I just looked up the Unlimited Calling to any Landline or Mobile number in the US or Canada plan and it was only $2.09/mo.

You could do that and be on the cheapest voice plan that your carrier offers, and still have unlimited voice for next to nothing. Although I'm not sure how it would work away from home over the data network, or the logistics involving your phone number.
    07-07-10 12:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD