I disagree. Positioning the text cursor, selecting text or hitting URL links are easier than if not as easy as using a trackpad. I'm not saying this because I use a GTab 7", but I've also used the LG P500, LG2X and SE Arc and I'm perfectly comfortable with all those basic functions you mentioned.

Anyway, "multi-tasking" on BBOS is as much as it is on iOS for most users. Just recently there was a thread about a guy elated about multi-tasking on BBOS7, being able to switch between e-mail, texts, sms, browsing or whatever quickly. That is not multi-tasking - that's just putting apps in the background on standby.

Real multitasking would be like what the Nokia N9 or BB PlayBook has.
    You couldn't be more wrong, BBOS and especially OS7 has proper multitasking, it's in no way like iphone multitasking, example: I can have dropbox download a file, download a file trough the browser, play a youtube video, listen to a song, and facebook chat all at the same time, that is proper multitasking, iphone puts them to sleep, on a blackberry they keep working.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-11 03:16 AM
    Capacitive touch platforms are in desperate need of a trackpad. Things like hitting small targets while web browsing or common tasks like selecting text or positioning the text cursor are tedious and frustrating -- with a trackpad, they're quick and easy.
    Lol. I've had a touchscreen since 2008, and not once have I had problems with that. Ever hear of multitouch? Ever hear of pinch to zoom? Use it.

I said Multi-tasking as well as OS 5, not web browsing. I thought my post made that very clear. Blackberry has a rather commanding lead when it comes to HTML 5. (Nevermind that. It looks like Apple just caught up with iOS 5 -- Rim was #1 by a wide margin last time I checked the site for both tablets and smart phones.)
    RIMs new device were. Not anymore. The iPhone 4 (with "inferior" hardware to the BBOS 7 and PB) has caught up in benchmark with iOS 5. The iPhone 4S smokes them all. The iPad 2 smokes the 4S.

I can't speak from experience on iOS -- too many barriers to make it worth my while. Though having developed for Blackberry and Android, I can't begin to tell you what a nightmare Android development is. One of the most irritating things about it is the need to save your application state. (If Android could multi-task properly, this wouldn't be an issue.)
    Like I said, every developer I have talked to said iOS and Android are easier platforms to develop for.

Developing for Blackberry couldn't be easier. The 'BB development is hard' meme started when slashdot posted a whiny rant from some blogger who could handle filling out a form to download the SDK.
    I've been using a BB since the end of 2007. I've been hearing people say that since then.

iOS can barely be considered a multi-tasking OS (from both a user and developers perspective) This is simply indisputable. Android does some really weird things, making it difficult for users and developers alike. Blackberry actually does it right, like proper OS's have done for decades. BBX takes things a step further as far as the UI is concerned, putting it embarrassingly ahead of both iOS and Android.
    iOS multitasks fine for me. Everything updates instantly. Apps switch instantly. If they do enter a save state, it opens to the exact screen I left off on and updates continue to push in the background even if it is in a save state. After owning a 8330, 9000 and 9700, IMO not one of them multitasked better than iOS 4+ and Android. At least I haven't noticed the difference because I can care less how technical it is. All I want it to switch apps, run information in real time, and open apps to where I left off (wether it is in a save state or never does pause).
    skyrider007 likes this.
    10-22-11 08:52 AM
    Capacitive touch platforms are in desperate need of a trackpad. Things like hitting small targets while web browsing or common tasks like selecting text or positioning the text cursor are tedious and frustrating -- with a trackpad, they're quick and easy.
    Good point. Apple might've sold another 50 or so iPhones that first weekend if they'd had a trackpad. This is a weak claim; trackpad-free devices handily outsell those with trackpads/keyboards, etc, and the iPhone alone outsells RIM's entire line of phones by a healthy margin. It's like me saying that what flat-panel televisions really need are those big, heavy CRTs, because then they'd be great.

Blackberry has a rather commanding lead when it comes to HTML 5. (Nevermind that. It looks like Apple just caught up with iOS 5 -- Rim was #1 by a wide margin last time I checked the site for both tablets and smart phones.)
    The "our 2011 devices/software beats your 2010 devices/software on benchmarks" argument is not at all compelling since new device/software upgrades from these platforms tends to move it into a temporary lead over competitors.
    Last edited by Economist101; 10-22-11 at 10:03 AM.
    10-22-11 09:56 AM
    Lol. I've had a touchscreen since 2008, and not once have I had problems with that. Ever hear of multitouch? Ever hear of pinch to zoom? Use it.
    Multi touch and pinch to zoom are great for media manipulation/consumption.

But for working with text it is a step backwards in useability in my opinion.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-22-11 10:37 AM
    RIM reminds me of my Palm Pilot. I loved it for years and it worked well, but others started to pass it by. It was only 10 years ago when they were HUGE. Now, kids don't even remember them. I hope history doesn't repeat itself here.
    10-22-11 10:58 AM
    cause is BlackBerry and is nothing else.
    and why you whine here ?? go sing to other table please, they have more they might give you some tips.
    It must be quiet on the Apple forums today...................

This Is My BlackBerry

This is my BlackBerry.
    There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My BlackBerry is my best friend.
    It is my life.
    I must master it, as I must master my life.
    Without me, my BlackBerry is useless.
    Without my BlackBerry, I am useless.
    I must operate my BlackBerry true.
    I must IM faster than my iEnemy who is trying to kill BBM.
    I must out-message him before he out-messages me. I will...
    My BlackBerry and myself know that what counts in a smartphone war is not the sound of fart apps.
    We know that it is the productivity that counts.
    My BlackBerry is smart, even as I, because it is mine.
    I will learn it as a brother.
    I will learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its options and its menu.
    I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against Apple.
    Before CrackBerry.com, I swear this creed.
    My BlackBerry and myself are defenders of the BlackBerry Community.
    We are the masters of our iEnemy.
    We are the saviors of my business and personal life.
    So BB it, until there is no enemy, but Peace.

all good having fun!

....semper fi !
    Last edited by EchoTango; 10-22-11 at 01:28 PM.
    jack57 likes this.
    10-22-11 01:26 PM
    Thanks for the replies.

[...]
    Fair enough, but I'm happy to wait for all of these amazing new features, and I in fact want to play a part in the change by releasing apps for the BBX/BlackBerry platform, unlike Android and iOS, I just prefer BlackBerry by personal preference (as in, coke vs. pepsi) - no matter what anyone says I'll still stick around, because of the many reasons I listed, and personal preference.

It was nice to discuss it with you though, I was considering my 'options' for a while, but it made me reconsider BlackBerry's worth currently and in the near future. And at least you had the decency to hold a proper discussion, instead of just making poor jokes at BlackBerry's expense and spamming "IPHONE IS BETTER" like half of the users who have come over from other forums.
    10-22-11 01:34 PM
    The only thing I am waiting for is my eligibility for an upgrade which will be in August next year. By then QNX phones should be out (who really knows though) But unless they release a QNX Bold form factor I don't intend to upgrade to a QNX phone if all they offer is touch screen only. If they offer only Touch screen I will be upgrading to a 9930.

My wants and needs for a phone are fairly simple, first and foremost it is a communication device. I have no interest in it being a multimedia device, I don't facebook, twitter, or you tube, I have zero interest in playing games, idly surfing the web, or watching movies on my phone. My phone is not a status symbol or an entertainment device, There is noting wrong if that si what you want YOUR phone to be. It is all about choices.

So the bold form factor is the most appealing to me. But that is just me, I don't expect everyone else to have the same wants or needs as I do. I make my selection of Phone with my needs and wants in mind, but apparently a lot of people don't, instead they want to complain that their blackberry is not an android or an iPhone.
    Apple Crumble likes this.
    10-22-11 01:36 PM
    Well i'm waiting for the Bold 9790.
    10-22-11 02:50 PM

I have never had one problem with multitouch while working with text. I have had 3 different iPhones and 2 Android devices. Never one problem at all.

It is all personal preference. I know some people that can't use a touchscreen period.
    Last edited by avt123; 10-22-11 at 06:11 PM.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    10-22-11 06:09 PM
    Waiting for Godot.
    10-22-11 06:29 PM
    Off the top of my head, I liked the 9900's expandable memory, the ability to take out and replace with a new battery, the 9900's keyboard that feels like sex with my fingers while dancing on water (seriously I can type really fast while feeling great because of the feedback from the keys' slant design). Similar reasons why I've kept my 9700.
    10-22-11 10:16 PM
    What am I waiting for?

I was waiting for the 1Phone 5.

Now I'm waiting for Nexus and Razr.

Also waiting for Windows 7 phones hopefully with LTE chips.

I live in a Verizon LTE service area and do not want to commit to a 24 month contract with a 3G phone. That would be like obligating to dialup when broadband is the same price.

So I'm waiting for an LTE phone and it seems like many have recently been announced but not available yet.
    10-22-11 10:23 PM
    What am I waiting for?

I was waiting for the 1Phone 5.

Now I'm waiting for Nexus and Razr.

Also waiting for Windows 7 phones hopefully with LTE chips.

I live in a Verizon LTE service area and do not want to commit to a 24 month contract with a 3G phone. That would be like obligating to dialup when broadband is the same price.

So I'm waiting for an LTE phone and it seems like many have recently been announced but not available yet.
    I'm doing the same. Sadly, the LTE network fee schedule has come out Rogers and I'm unwilling to pay the significant premium for it. It's unaffordable for me.
    10-22-11 10:29 PM
    Agreed. I believe RIM is in the same position as WinMo and Palm were in. And we all are aware of what happened there. It makes me quite sad actually. I was a devote user of both. And to see them fall from what I consider their grace to a former shell of themselves is so disheartening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    We all know what happened to Palm. And MS have more money than god, so Windows Mobile will survive and flourish eventually. RIM don't have that sort of money left though. And they aren't likely to generate it anytime soon.
    10-22-11 10:55 PM
    I guess I fail to understand why others say about "it's not on par with _____". Why isn't the ford fiesta on the same lane as the Porsche? Why isn't the the tent as big as the condo? Why doesn't this apple taste like an orange? Because they are different things that'd be my guess?
    10-22-11 11:19 PM
    Waiting for Godot.
    Why is it that when your contract commitment is up, the phone you always wanted is now old and the phone you now want won't be out until the next quarter?

Isn't that always the way? lol
    10-22-11 11:41 PM
    What are we waiting for?

Most of us die hard Blackberry fans love our keyboards. So why is everyone waiting for the BBX phones without a keyboard?
    10-23-11 01:02 AM
    What are we waiting for?

Most of us die hard Blackberry fans love our keyboards. So why is everyone waiting for the BBX phones without a keyboard?
    I'm not, I'm waiting for the BBX phone with a keyboard...
    10-23-11 01:14 AM
    I actually didn't mean to troll these forums or to even whine, it was out of pure curiosity and I did my best to be as objective as possible. I think trolling is just being mean and posting non sense stuff, but I think it's fair for me to say I didn't.

I really tried to continue liking Blackberry, and probably in a way I was still giving it a shot by asking around if all these promises are worth the wait.

And after giving it a really long and hard thought, unfortunately I have accepted that there is a reason why RIM is losing market share and why more consumers are switching.

While it is indeed true that ultimately we have a choice, I'd rather choose something that offers the best out there and Blackberry just doesn't do it for me. My Bold 9900 is now up for sale and the Playbook is next.

I bought a Samsung Galaxy SII yesterday and have fallen totally in love with both the phone and Android. I am 100% happier, and since this is a forum for Blackberry users, I won't get into the specifics. I'll tell you this though- the onscreen keyboard is a breeze to use. I know I will surely miss BBM, but I'll live. I have unlimited SMS on my plan and I know that's not the same, but I'll live.

Believe me, and I think there are lots of me out there, I tried to continue being a Blackberry fan. For years I had done nothing but push my friends to buy Blackberries. Don't hate me for saying this though, but enough is enough.

I am very glad that some of you continue to find Blackberries useful for your needs- and I sincerely wish and hope that RIM will fix their act and truly deliver, before it's really too late. Because at this point in time, I still think they might have some time to fix this. But they need to really stop promising things that either get delayed or do not happen. It's just not a good way of running business, big or small.

My best wishes to all of you.
    avmsam likes this.
    10-23-11 07:05 AM
    anakin, you just need to explore other horizons, that's not a drama !
    keep your BB phone, you'll be happy again with it later ... Iguess.
    Enjoy your new experience!
    10-23-11 07:42 AM

And to the mods: I am really disappointed that you are letting all this go on!! In one thread, I saw the forum moderator's comment supporting a troll post (I cant find it)

I am not looking for thread's that just praise BB products. But posts that are evidently trying to discredit a brand Crackberry is trying to support and you guys allowing a free run????

I know this forum is in a lot of countries but here in the us we have freedom of speech. That means good or bad you can say what you want as long as it doesn't imply bad doings.

This is a forum and people express their opinions here. Good or bad it is their thought about the brand.

We have other Sections for other devices so this site is not a biased one. If you feel this thread is hurting you in any way emotionally feel free to report it but for right now its a healthy device discussion IMO

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk
    avmsam likes this.
    10-23-11 07:50 AM

I was going to say the same thing. Hitting links is easy but copy and pasting are a nightmare on any other touchscreen. Having the trackpad makes it soooooo much easier

10-23-11 07:59 AM
    I was going to say the same thing. Hitting links is easy but copy and pasting are a nightmare on any other touchscreen. Having the trackpad makes it soooooo much easier

What are you basing this statement on? This is what copy/paste looks like on my phone:

You simply long press on the area you want to start copying and drag the cursor to where you want to go. It even magnifies the text while you're dragging so you know exactly where to stop. Then you have those on-screen options on what you'd like to do with the copied text. To paste, simply long press in any text field and select the paste option when it appears. Easy peasy.
    10-23-11 12:22 PM
    I read the posts and comments daily in Crackberry. I marvel at the deluge of criticism aimed at a company and its products. Venting seems to be an acceptable practice via the internet. Perhaps an anthropologist studying modern civilization will examine the excesses that instant communication have brought. For me my choices about products are the result of me operating my own good judgement and freewill. It seems rather small of an individual to spend excessive amounts of time critiquing others or products that no longer fulfill their own needs. I would rather spend my time raking leaves or washing the car instead of visiting an online site for Android an telling everyone about how I have decided not to renew my association with Android because my Acer Iconia a500 did not make the cut. Gosh I can only see a great future for tablets and the one I am holding in my hand right now works great. QNX works for me. The cell phone issues just seem like the solution is buy whatever floats your boat. I work in construction so I buy phones that have no sex appeal at all, ruggedness and battery life are my only wants. So should I be slashing at BB product line with my keyboard because they don't meet my demands? No, I just quietly pick from the slim amount of choices available. I say be happy and quit whining, Thank goodness we have choices.
    Superfly_FR likes this.
    10-23-11 01:11 PM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD