"When" is the big question. It's like the chicken before the egg thing. Will developers create the apps based on new devices maybe coming out in coming months? Or will they wait to see how the new devices are received before creating apps for them?

The new development tools greatly speed up development time. So apps can be cranked out a lot quicker now. And with HTML5, you reach a whole new audience of developers.

And of course there are more exciting things out there, that's always the case. I'm stoked about the new Nexes that was just announced, and will probably get it. But you know in three months (or less) the next new and exciting thing will be out.

That's just technology. And the beauty is: there is something for everyone. There's no wrong or right choice; it's what ever works for you at the time. And right now, BB is for me after a 2 year absence. I'm sure down the road, it will be something else.
    You're absolutely right. "When" is the biggest question. And the next question is, what is the "what"? The "what" is the improvement of apps and support for Blackberry devices. Something that is already a strength for iOS and Android.

I'm glad that RIM has made it easier for developers, but frankly they should have started that way anyway. A lot of consumers, me included, have been turned off and are jumping ship.
    10-21-11 01:13 PM
    I'm glad that RIM has made it easier for developers, but frankly they should have started that way anyway. A lot of consumers, me included, have been turned off and are jumping ship.
    No doubt about that. Apparently they are into learning things the hard way...
    avmsam likes this.
    10-21-11 01:17 PM
    To stay or leave is totally up to the individual. I have 3 apps I use, thats it. I used the same three apps on the Storm 2. Prior to that...I didnt even use a smart phone.

I purchase a Playbook for my wife to bridge to her work BB. And....the amount of apps from the launch of the device to now has increased. I like the small form (throw it in a large pocket) and ease of use. I never considered the device finished and to be honest, it seemed like a testing the waters kind of thing. I am just glad they didnt ditch it completely after the poor reception it go.

What we see today is RIM dusting it self off after the thrashing it has received (much of its own making) and a great dev conference that says 'Yes we are open for business and want to support the MARKET'. If they deliver 'YEAHHH for us' they fail 'BYE BYE' to them. Its pretty simple. No need for crazy analysis or speculation. They are number 3/4. The transition to QNX will make or break them BBos is dead. Either way, RIM wont go out of business tomorrow or even next year.
    10-21-11 01:28 PM
    How much do you get paid for each convert? Seriously why does it matter to you? Go buy an android and be happy and post about your changed life in the android section.

Not meant to be harsh etc.
    Thud Hardsmack and TgeekB like this.
    10-21-11 01:30 PM
    Why do people like Pepsi over Coke?
    Why do you drive that Ford when there are Toyotas?
    Why do some people use Tide instead of Woolite?

It's a personal preference. I'm not waiting for anything. I like BlackBerry, I don't hate Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, or any phones... I just like BlackBerry. If you don't, find something you do like. The end.

I'm not blind, RIM has made mistakes. But I'm thankful for mistakes, which hopefully give not only RIM but other companies a chance to learn and improve. I'm also thankful we have so many choices when it comes to mobile devices, because a world with only one kind of smartphone would be very dull indeed.
    10-21-11 02:05 PM
    I heard Pepsi runs Flash and Coke doesn't, and that Ford has auto-correct and Toyota promised it, but they still don't have it.

And, well, Tide just rocks!
    bbmtna, PTZ and Apple Crumble like this.
    10-21-11 02:08 PM
    Why do people like Pepsi over Coke?
    Why do you drive that Ford when there are Toyotas?
    Why do some people use Tide instead of Woolite?

It's a personal preference. I'm not waiting for anything. I like BlackBerry, I don't hate Android, iPhone, Windows Phone, or any phones... I just like BlackBerry. If you don't, find something you do like. The end.

I'm not blind, RIM has made mistakes. But I'm thankful for mistakes, which hopefully give not only RIM but other companies a chance to learn and improve. I'm also thankful we have so many choices when it comes to mobile devices, because a world with only one kind of smartphone would be very dull indeed.

I know what you are saying here, and I agree to a certain point! RIM has made a ton of rookie mistakes that they should not be making... that's the issue I have. They have been at this far too long to be screwing up their market share as they are. The day the iPhone came out they should have been hard at work to replace the BBOS, but they decided to mill about and keep that sucker on life support for longer than it should have.

Things are looking up, and BBX could be the breakaway hit they need. I'm banking on it (literally... gulp)
    10-21-11 02:16 PM
    So I am asking you- what are you waiting for? Why are you still holding on so blindly to RIM's products and services?
    Because I like them. Because my 9930 does everything that I want the way that I want it to. Because I'm not interested in an iPhone or an Android just because they may have a dual core processor, a large, beautiful touch screen, and a bunch of apps that I wouldn't use.

I'm not waiting for anything. I had a choice in smartphones when I was due for an upgrade. I've played with the newest and the best and I chose what fit my needs and wants better than any other. Bold 9930. Thus far I've been happy with my decision.
    10-21-11 02:21 PM
    What am I waiting for? A device that I like better than my new 9930.
    In my kitchen drawer I have at my disposal an Atrix I once gave away and which found its way back to me. At VZW and AT&T have at my disposal countless android devices, none of which appeal to me more than my 9930.
    I will soon get an iP4S, but I am almost certain that it will be a companion and not a replacement to my 9930.
    So what am I waiting for? The device that will pull me away from the device I reach for when I want things done. Real world things in my world, not someone else's ideas of what I should want but what I do want.
    I've got at my disposal two carriers filled with the latest and greatest. Over spec-ed, over muscled, overglassed, overapped. Oversized behemoths that don't make it through one day on one charge.
    But I don't *want* them. So I don't *buy* them. In the final analysis I buy what makes me happy. New phone, new shoes, new bag. I don't need to have a blog or fashion magazine dictate or validate my purchases.
    What am I waiting for? Nothing. I've got what I want in my hands this very instant.

Except for Robert Pattinson. HIM I'm still waiting for....*sigh*

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 02:46 PM
    Because I like them. Because my 9930 does everything that I want the way that I want it to. Because I'm not interested in an iPhone or an Android just because they may have a dual core processor, a large, beautiful touch screen, and a bunch of apps that I wouldn't use.

I'm not waiting for anything. I had a choice in smartphones when I was due for an upgrade. I've played with the newest and the best and I chose what fit my needs and wants better than any other. Bold 9930. Thus far I've been happy with my decision.
    I'll echo that.
    10-21-11 03:49 PM
    anakin1979,

Just go and leave us alone.

We know what Steve Jobs did when he screwed up royally by having the iPhone drop your calls. He offered a bunch of excuses and a pathetic $5.00 bumper because the phone did not manage to hold calls!
    When RIM had a service outage (a one time event vs. the iPhones perpetual flaw) they gave us $100.00 bucks in free apps!
    Advantage: RIM

As for your claim that the iPhone 4S is better, I still think your bias is wrong. The iPhone still to this day has:
    Can't swap a battery.
    Does not have a physical keyboard.
    Does not have the same security.
    Is still not as good on e-mail or messaging. Even though they shamelessly tried to steal BBM feel. This after Jobs said he would spend every penny to destroy android.

Saying that the Bold 9930 is not an awesome phone and we are not satisfied with it is as ridiculous as saying Steve Jobs died of cancer because the screwed up antenna's on the iPhone killed him. It is just not true.

One more thing you big dummy, don't tell us what to do. We like the Bold and other OS7 devices and the Playbook may benefit from software upgrades but the specs are clearly superior to the iPad2. Better cameras, better speakers, faster processor.

I'm not going to pay $50.00 bucks per month for an equivalent 3g model from anyone, when I have internet access on my Playbook for free with the Bridge App just because some apple fanboy is trolling our website.

Get lost you troll. creep!
    10-21-11 04:05 PM
    Because, I hate show-off (in France, we say "bling-bling"). I find these tools horrible, they look like mid 80's B&O silver products. They are hypy, trendy, whatever but mainly they are "give-me-your-money" thing. You'll probably won't fight on this point regarding Apple.
    But then, angry, you'll tell me "you're late man, Andro�d is free" ... no, I ain't late. Just older (I wish I could say wiser), probably. I was there at the almost first hours of Internet and since, I've learned something VERY important :

If you do not pay for the product ... YOU are the product.

I don't want my (an by side-load, my entourage's) privacy, identity, tastes, opinions, orientations, name, face or whatever is mine (or theirs) being sold as a pair of shoes.

I don't need gadgets like Siri, that is mostly unusable and will anyhow cost Mb on my (unbridged) data plan for things I can do pressing 2 or 3 key, instead of being stupid-talking-to-my-personnal-brain-extension ...

I have ALL I need in my pockets (inside for my phone outside for my PB). They do what I want, and they do it good.

Can you get this ?
    As a conclusion, I may ask: what are you waiting for ? I give you unconditional absolution; you can do it, you won't go to h*ll.

[joke] signed : Joda [/joke]
    Last edited by Superfly_FR; 10-21-11 at 06:03 PM. Reason: last sentence had missed the paste !
    up488 likes this.
    10-21-11 05:50 PM
    1. OS7 was an improvement in speed, but it also decreased the number of available apps for us. On the other hand, the number of apps in the Android Market (even the free ones) and iOS5 opens a lot of possibilities for phones.
    How has it? The majority of apps that support older OS' fully support OS 7, BlackBerry statistics report that BlackBerry App World receives the most downloads from both OS 6 and 7 for apps, as opposed to OS 5 and below.

For instance, Voice Talk / Search on the Galaxy SII is almost like Siri, not close, but almost there. The drivesafe.ly app that RIM gave didn't even work on my 9900 (saw several other posts about this). Their GPS and mapping apps are much more robust and powerful, with turn by turn directions.

I have a business partner in Thailand and there are times we need to get on Skype. I have to rush home to use my Mac just for this. I really don't think we will ever get Skype on our Blackberries. Or if it's being developed, I can't wait anymore.

And while it might seem trivial to you, Angry Birds is a game I actually find very entertaining and takes some stress away after a day's worth of work. RIM has promised this on our Playbooks eons ago, and after Dev Con, I guess we can include that on their list of failed promises.
    DriveSafe.ly app does not even come close to the sort of thing that Siri is supposed to do, wait until the digital assistant app is released, that's actually created to a similar extent. DriveSafe.ly is for texts mainly, not for whole phone functionality.

By the time we'll have BBX, we'll probably be able to simulate it via Android. Now, I've heard the argument that you should just get an Android instead of a phone that simulates Android apps - but where's the fun in that? You can't run both BlackBerry and Android apps, and BlackBerry has an exclusive app market.

Isn't there like 300 Flash alternatives to Angry Bird?

2. I am a photographer by profession and sometimes, when I don't have my laptop with me, I need to show off my work quickly. The 9900 does have a good screen but it is too small. Both the iPhone4 and Galaxy SII win here. I know the 9810 should be able to help me here, but why go for an inferior screen if I can have the best in the market? I need my clients to see the best representation of my work. You might say that I should just used the Playbook to do this, but I am also getting rid of my Playbook.
    If I was a photographer, I'd not release my work under any circumstances through a smartphone, I'd use a tablet or PC regardless of the screen size (saying that, I mean the iPhone 4 screen is still far too small).

The camera on the 9900 is okay, and there are times I have to admit it produces better photos than the iPhone4, but when compared to the Galaxy SII's 8MP camera, it still loses out.
    If you're a photographer, you should be using dedicated photography equipment... The main reason smartphones have cameras is so you can post pictures to social networking websites, a picture of a person being locked out on a fire exit balcony and having to jump down, then tagging them on Facebook for a laugh. Obviously, that's just an example, but I mean what sort of professional photographer relies on a smartphone for taking photos anyway? My IT lecturer is a photographer and uses dedicated equipment at least exceeding 15 MP.

3. BBM. While this is a deal breaker still for a lot of us, it is no longer true for me. I can live without this. We have SMS. We have cross platform messaging apps and my friends are all on Google Talk, AIM, and Yahoo Messenger. And, there's SMS. Not a big deal for me now.
    A lot of us have friends who have BlackBerry handsets who don't have Google Talk, AIM or Yahoo Messenger, or even MSN, BBM is a great way to communicate on the move, and the majority of the messenger apps kill your battery in seconds - that's one of the best things about BBM, you can use it extremely frequently without killing your battery, and SMS - well I protect my number with my life, I hardly give it out to anyone.

4. Timeliness of Delivery. This is for me, important. I want to support a company that has integrity which RIM sadly lacks (at least at this point in time). While Apple and Google are not all saints, they have constantly delivered on what they have promised. Improved UI on their OS upgrades, timely fixes on their OS glitches, constant development of apps, etc.
    You're right on this one, but they are trying to get their act together, which will probably be a little more noticable in the coming years. Probably? I mean hopefully...

5. Battery Life. Blackberry used to be the best here. But frankly, all smart phones nowadays need to be charged on a daily basis anyway. And while the 9900's battery life is good for me, so are the iPhone4's and Galaxy SII's batteries. Androids used to have sucky battery life, but not on the Galaxy SII given the right adjustments.
    So are you saying the iPhone 4 has a better battery or it's about equivalent?

6. OS/Apps- Don't you find it funny that we are all excited about Blackberry OS, whether it is on the Playbook or the so called BBX phones, to play Android apps? Like what I mentioned above, why wait for that when we can just go for the real thing? And I guess the fact that we are all excited for the Android app player does mean that apps matter. And if QNX/BBX is gonna be huge, well the Playbook does have QNX already- how come no one's writing apps for it?
    As I mentioned above:

"Now, I've heard the argument that you should just get an Android instead of a phone that simulates Android apps - but where's the fun in that? You can't run both BlackBerry and Android apps, and BlackBerry has an exclusive app market."

BlackBerry App World has many apps, and they're quite exclusive to be fair. The playbook admittedly is lacking apps, but over the coming months that's also going to change, the development for it has been unclear and we've only just been offered the C/C++ NDK for the Playbook, which is why this recent devcon was great news for developers.

7. Playbook failure. It has very good specs, I won't take that away from it. But come on. No PIM features and we are practically begging RIM for OS2 just for that? The reason why I bought the Playbook was due to it's size as I am constantly on the go and work out everyday and don't have to lug around an iPad. Well- I should have researched more. There are better options out there. Months and months and months of waiting and we get a sneak preview of OS2 and we are amazed at what I'd call a really minor OS tweak (ability to make folders and dock some icons? that's really basic huh.)
    IMO, the Playbook's OS 2 will be RIM's equivalent to Windows Phone 7.5 'mango', the vital features were included and you'll see an increase in sales as the device(s) are a lot more practical for general use.

I think you should consider what you said about researching again, because there's a bit more to OS 2 than 'just folders'.

There are 'better phones' out there, but the majority of us are happy with BlackBerry, and we're welcoming the changes coming over the coming years for BlackBerry, that have been long-awaited for, and why should we leave what we know so well?

My general opinion on Android is that it's far too generic; open, as a developer this is a great advantage, but when a new major OS is released or when a new phone is released running Android (practically every week), you're out in the cold as there's a high chance your device won't support it. Or you'll have to spend hours trying to find out how and trying to make it happen.

My general opinion on iOS is that it's far too closed off; censored, they've completely ignored one of the most important things in future devices, too: flash, whether we like it or not, that plays a big part in the internet and how can you have a device 'ready for prime' if it can't even conform to such a standard? Despite that, the development opportunities are limited, you have to pay to create apps, which expands Apple's ecosystem - which in my honest opinion is stupid, we put our time and dedication in to building something to be charged to release it? I wouldn't mind if they only asked for a share of any profit we make, if we make any profit, and if we charge for the app, but that's not the case.

BlackBerry is aiming for somewhere in the middle, which is perfect for me, and the hardware will always be a step or two behind the giants such as Android or Apple, but that's fine for me, I don't try multi-task on smartphones like I do on a PC.

EDIT: That was longer than I expected...
    Jake Storm and steppinghorse like this.
    10-21-11 08:10 PM
    How has it? The majority of apps that support older OS' fully support OS 7, BlackBerry statistics report that BlackBerry App World receives the most downloads from both OS 6 and 7 for apps, as opposed to OS 5 and below.

{Edited by mod because there is no need to quote an entire huge post like that}
    Thanks for the replies.

When I say "show off my work" as a photographer, what I meant is that I usually store my portfolio on my phone or tablet to show off to potential clients or even existing clients to show sample work. Of course, I don't rely on cam phones for my actual photography work which ranges from fashion photography to events. I have a full frame DSLR for that. :-) With that said, the 9900's screen is too small for my shots to come out with justice. And as I mentioned, the 9810 does have a bigger screen but the quality is still inferior to the retina display of the iPhone4S or the AMOLED display of the Samsung SGII.

I understand that a camera on a phone is really for posting to social sites, but there are times that I do use the camphone on my 9900 to take some shots of potential subjects (i.e. landscapes) and there are times I'd need to take a good shot on the fly so when I get home, I'm able to review it properly. The 9900's camera is decent, but the other camphones are still better.

Most of the apps I once had on my 9800 are still not ported on OS7, unless I missed it somewhere. I used Shazam a lot, and for AIM, while there are integrated messaging apps, I prefer to have a standalone IM client for each service.

And the thing is, I really need Skype on my phone more than ever as I am always on the go and sometimes my business partner from Thailand and I need to get on calls impromptu.

I also agree that BBM is such a great messaging application that RIM pioneered, and iMessage is a poor copy. In fact, this was one of the things that held me back from giving up Blackberry. However, I have unlimited SMS on my carrier and before my friends bought their Blackberries, we always just texted each other. I can live without it.

I agree about the limitations on iOS5. I had an iPhone3G at some point and found it ridiculous that I couldn't share files via bluetooth. But that's something Android devices can do. All in all, I still find the flexibility of both platforms in terms of more app support a more appealing option.

While I'm happy to hear you say that there are more apps coming to Blackberry devices and the Playbook will improve, the key word here is sense of urgency, which RIM doesn't seem to have at the moment.

And as an end consumer, I'd rather move on to what the others are already offering.
    Last edited by anakin1979; 10-21-11 at 09:59 PM.
    10-21-11 09:30 PM
    BB is starting to remind me of the once dominate Windows Mobile. They got comfortable where they were but kept slipping and slipping. Now they woke up and realized they can not survive on just their name alone. They are making a come back with Windows Phone 7, and right now are the biggest threat to RIM to take over the #3 spot, which will happen sooner vs later now that Nokia is on board.

So hopefully RIM doesn't have to hit rock bottom like MS did with windows mobile before they realize it's not easy to play catch up.
    Agreed. I believe RIM is in the same position as WinMo and Palm were in. And we all are aware of what happened there. It makes me quite sad actually. I was a devote user of both. And to see them fall from what I consider their grace to a former shell of themselves is so disheartening.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    10-21-11 09:51 PM
    Agreed. I believe RIM is in the same position as WinMo and Palm were in. And we all are aware of what happened there. It makes me quite sad actually. I was a devote user of both. And to see them fall from what I consider their grace to a former shell of themselves is so disheartening.
    Good example, I forgot about Palm too. Those were platforms people loved and were dedicated to. But you must change and keep up with the times; Google and Android are a good example of that.

There are plenty of examples of what NOT to do, so I hope RIM looks to the past to plan their future.
    10-21-11 10:13 PM
    Why don't I move on to Android, Apple, or WP7?

Isn't it obvious? There is no Android, Apple, or WP7 phone that has does what my blackberry can do.

Find an alternative that has a keyboard half as good, a trackpad, and a better web browser.

Find one that can multi-task as well as BB OS 5. Find one that is as easier to develop software for. Find one with a better notifications, better PIM management, or better security.

Until there is an alternative that can actually compete with Blackberry, I'm sticking with them. If RIM goes the way of Palm (unlikely), it will be impossible to find an adequate replacement.
    10-21-11 10:17 PM
    Why don't I move on to Android, Apple, or WP7?

Isn't it obvious? There is no Android, Apple, or WP7 phone that has does what my blackberry can do.

Find an alternative that has a keyboard half as good, a trackpad, and a better web browser.
    Well the keyboard and track pad (touch platforms have no use for a trackpad) are a given, but web browser? Really? iOS 5 (on the iPhone 4 and 4S) AND Android have a better web browser (go check benchmarks).

Find one that can multi-task as well as BB OS 5. Find one that is as easier to develop software for. Find one with a better notifications, better PIM management, or better security.
    I agree on security. But easier software development? What? Every developer I have ever talked to that develops or has developed on iOS, Android and BBOS consistently say iOS and Android are both MUCH easier.

Notifications? That's a preference. I actually prefer the notification system on Android and iOS 5 better than any of my BBs I've ever had. Multitasking is also extremely easy on all three platforms.

That being said, the 9900/30 is a great device. Enjoy it.
    10-21-11 10:38 PM
    this is exactly what i was thinking about. a lot of us here think for as long as it does the job, then well and good.

but the truth is a lot more can be done. who doesn't want more options for applications? who doesn't want better processor speeds and dual core at that? who doesn't want the ability to do video calling? who doesn't want more robust and better quality cameras on their phones? how about 1080HD video capture?

i havent had problems with my 9900 or playbook, at least in the technical sense. no glitches or major OS issues. even the battery on my 9900 is fairly good.

but think again, there is a problem. and i think i articulated this in my other posts already.

have you guys taken some time to test drive the phones that are out there? try fiddling with the iPhone4S or the samsung galaxy SII if you haven't. you just might get my point.

believe me, just a couple of days back, i wasn't even giving this a thought. but after seeing how the two CEOs of RIM just destroyed their credibilities and after doing comparative phone and OS reviews, i started to wonder where all this blind faith is really coming from.

just like the x-files tagline says- the truth is out there. and yes, we have the right to choose. to choose the best out there.
    Answering the section above in red:
    If you thought that the BB fans here are blind, I can say this for sure atleast for myself that I am not sticking with BB just for the love of the brand.

1) I did test an iphone 4 last week, 4s is still not available in India. Couldnt get past typing one line of text properly on the iphone whereas with my BB, I can look somewhere else and still type as fast. Considering that I do a lot of emails and BBM, that is advantage no. 1 for me. I have not considered an android device, may be they are good, so this opinion is just restricted to the iphone.
    2) I will be the proud owner of ipad 3 today!! Yes, its my 3 rd replacement from Apple. I am sure a BB will give you trouble, so will an Android and an Apple. In the 10 minutes I spent at the Apple store, atleast 4 people came in with an iphone complaint. I have now personally experienced the reliability of an Apple (ie not to say that a BB or Android is better or worse). I believe an I pad is an iphone minus the voice and if that is then an iphone, I am not missing much.

As somebody else said, everybody has different needs. Iphone is great for somebody who needs to use lots of media rich features, games etc and if you are a photographer, then iphone or an Android with all its apps may be a better choice. Its your personal choice. Please do not come to a BB forum and start a thread on why 'we' are not shifting and so on. That destroys the credibility of your post. A better place for you would have been to put this on an Apple forum or a Samsung forum.

And to the mods: I am really disappointed that you are letting all this go on!! In one thread, I saw the forum moderator's comment supporting a troll post (I cant find it)
    I am not looking for thread's that just praise BB products. But posts that are evidently trying to discredit a brand Crackberry is trying to support and you guys allowing a free run????
    10-21-11 11:26 PM
    And to the mods: I am really disappointed that you are letting all this go on!! In one thread, I saw the forum moderator's comment supporting a troll post (I cant find it)
    I am not looking for thread's that just praise BB products. But posts that are evidently trying to discredit a brand Crackberry is trying to support and you guys allowing a free run????
    If you feel something is out of line, please feel free to report it. Complaining in a random thread about something you feel is wrong is not the way to help CrackBerry mods. I assume you don't mean this thread, since you took the time to reply in it, so again, please report posts/threads that you feel are inappropriate.
    steppinghorse likes this.
    10-22-11 12:27 AM
    If you feel something is out of line, please feel free to report it. Complaining in a random thread about something you feel is wrong is not the way to help CrackBerry mods. I assume you don't mean this thread, since you took the time to reply in it, so again, please report posts/threads that you feel are inappropriate.
    Hi Michelle, ofcourse it was not you I should have found that post but gave up after 5 minutes.. Have a great weekend..
    10-22-11 12:40 AM
    My Blackberry work just as well for me after DevCon as it did before. I have different needs than you do.

There is no "we"... Get what works for you. That's what I did.
    TgeekB and southlander like this.
    10-22-11 12:49 AM
    We know what Steve Jobs did when he screwed up royally by having the iPhone drop your calls. He offered a bunch of excuses and a pathetic $5.00 bumper because the phone did not manage to hold calls!
    He also offered a refund to anyone who wanted it, but you left that out because it didn't support your "argument."

As for your claim that the iPhone 4S is better, I still think your bias is wrong. The iPhone still to this day has:
    Can't swap a battery.
    Does not have a physical keyboard.
    Does not have the same security.
    Is still not as good on e-mail or messaging. Even though they shamelessly tried to steal BBM feel. This after Jobs said he would spend every penny to destroy android.
    Well he kind of died, so it's not as though he had time to finish what he started. I trust you're aware of his passing.

I'm not going to pay $50.00 bucks per month for an equivalent 3g model from anyone, when I have internet access on my Playbook for free with the Bridge App just because some apple fanboy is trolling our website.
    I understand that you're just going to keep repeating this false claim about 3G cost, so I'll keep pointing out that it's false. The 3G iPad doesn't run $50 a month for 3G service (I'm not sure of a tablet that does), and your refusal to offer an opinion supported by the actual facts is troubling. There may be an enhanced service level (i.e. 5GB a month or something similar) that runs $50, but tablets can be had for much less in terms of data cost.

One more thing you big dummy. . .apple fanboy. . .Get lost you troll. creep!
    When you start calling people names, it makes it sound like you're losing the argument, even if the facts are in your favor. Combine the name-calling with the factual inaccuracies and omissions I noted above, and your comment just seems desperate. But, if you drop the name calling, stop the inaccuracies and quit ignoring the facts that don't support your argument, who knows? You may have something.
    Last edited by Economist101; 10-22-11 at 01:02 AM. Reason: grammar
    10-22-11 12:51 AM
    Well the keyboard and track pad (touch platforms have no use for a trackpad) are a given,
    Capacitive touch platforms are in desperate need of a trackpad. Things like hitting small targets while web browsing or common tasks like selecting text or positioning the text cursor are tedious and frustrating -- with a trackpad, they're quick and easy.

but web browser? Really? iOS 5 (on the iPhone 4 and 4S) AND Android have a better web browser (go check benchmarks).
    I said Multi-tasking as well as OS 5, not web browsing. I thought my post made that very clear. Blackberry has a rather commanding lead when it comes to HTML 5. (Nevermind that. It looks like Apple just caught up with iOS 5 -- Rim was #1 by a wide margin last time I checked the site for both tablets and smart phones.)

I agree on security. But easier software development? What? Every developer I have ever talked to that develops or has developed on iOS, Android and BBOS consistently say iOS and Android are both MUCH easier.
    I can't speak from experience on iOS -- too many barriers to make it worth my while. Though having developed for Blackberry and Android, I can't begin to tell you what a nightmare Android development is. One of the most irritating things about it is the need to save your application state. (If Android could multi-task properly, this wouldn't be an issue.)

Developing for Blackberry couldn't be easier. The 'BB development is hard' meme started when slashdot posted a whiny rant from some blogger who could handle filling out a form to download the SDK.

While BB development wasn't terribly difficult before (it was just J2ME with some BB extras), now RIM has made things even easier with a multitude of new tools and options for developers. Take a look at WebWorks, for example, which has made writing apps unimaginably simple. Far easier than even the simplest Android app. (Android is a mess -- the API seemed to change constantly early on. It's a still hideous mess. I've called it a lot of good ideas implemented in the worst possible way.)

Multitasking is also extremely easy on all three platforms.
    iOS can barely be considered a multi-tasking OS (from both a user and developers perspective) This is simply indisputable. Android does some really weird things, making it difficult for users and developers alike. Blackberry actually does it right, like proper OS's have done for decades. BBX takes things a step further as far as the UI is concerned, putting it embarrassingly ahead of both iOS and Android.
    10-22-11 02:18 AM
    Capacitive touch platforms are in desperate need of a trackpad. Things like hitting small targets while web browsing or common tasks like selecting text or positioning the text cursor are tedious and frustrating -- with a trackpad, they're quick and easy.
    I disagree. Positioning the text cursor, selecting text or hitting URL links are easier than if not as easy as using a trackpad. I'm not saying this because I use a GTab 7", but I've also used the LG P500, LG2X and SE Arc and I'm perfectly comfortable with all those basic functions you mentioned.

Anyway, "multi-tasking" on BBOS is as much as it is on iOS for most users. Just recently there was a thread about a guy elated about multi-tasking on BBOS7, being able to switch between e-mail, texts, sms, browsing or whatever quickly. That is not multi-tasking - that's just putting apps in the background on standby.

Real multitasking would be like what the Nokia N9 or BB PlayBook has.
    avmsam likes this.
    10-22-11 02:46 AM
90 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD