RIM has promised a lot of things and they have failed to deliver. They came out with the 9900 and I admit it's a good phone, but still really not on par with the iPhone4(s) or the Samsung SG2.

Blackberry apps are becoming even less with OS7.0, while useful (not just useless games or web apps) apps are increasing for iOS and Android.

Many other phones have specs that overpower the 9900. I played with both the iPhone4 and the Galaxy SII and my 9900 feels inferior. Yeah it's snappier and all but let's face it, it's not that different from the 9700 in terms of OS features.

With how RIM has been doing business lately, they are so far behind from the competition. I used to think I can't live without their near flawless push e-mail, but after tinkering with the Galaxy SII and the iPhone4, I now have options.

Yeah, I can live without the keyboard. I can live without BBM.

The Playbook is another story. Let's just say it has very good hardware but is near useless. The selection of apps is a big joke. What kind of tablet doesn't have basic PIM apps? I can't believe we are actually praying or RIM to release OS2, and all it delivers are the basics on what a tablet should have to begin with.

And Android player? BBX phones that have the ability to run Android apps? Please. As another poster has said, why wait for that when we can just go for the real thing? Doesn't really make sense.

RIM has done nothing but fail to deliver at everything. It's sad really, because I have always been a Blackberry devotee. But that is the great thing about having choices and being free to go after them. It's a free world.

So I am asking you- what are you waiting for? Why are you still holding on so blindly to RIM's products and services?
    10-21-11 10:24 AM
    Perhaps because we like them? (freedom of choice remember).
    It must be quiet on the Apple forums today...................
    10-21-11 10:36 AM
    Yeah I used to like them too. A lot. And after Dev Con ... oh well. So Sad.
    10-21-11 10:40 AM
    cause is BlackBerry and is nothing else.
    and why you whine here ?? go sing to other table please, they have more they might give you some tips.

This Is My BlackBerry

This is my BlackBerry.
    There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My BlackBerry is my best friend.
    It is my life.
    I must master it, as I must master my life.
    Without me, my BlackBerry is useless.
    Without my BlackBerry, I am useless.
    I must operate my BlackBerry true.
    I must IM faster than my iEnemy who is trying to kill BBM.
    I must out-message him before he out-messages me. I will...
    My BlackBerry and myself know that what counts in a smartphone war is not the sound of fart apps.
    We know that it is the productivity that counts.
    My BlackBerry is smart, even as I, because it is mine.
    I will learn it as a brother.
    I will learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its options and its menu.
    I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against Apple.
    Before CrackBerry.com, I swear this creed.
    My BlackBerry and myself are defenders of the BlackBerry Community.
    We are the masters of our iEnemy.
    We are the saviors of my business and personal life.
    So BB it, until there is no enemy, but Peace.

all good having fun!
    10-21-11 10:47 AM
    I don't know...I guess because despite all the shortcomings you mentioned, Blackberries are still one of the best smartphones around, in my opinion. I've considered my options; Androids, with their poor battery life and security flaws don't entice me at all; Iphones, while nice and mostly up-to-date with the technology don't offer that physical keyboard (yes, it's a deal breaker for me).

Frankly, all products have their pros and cons, and for now, the BB is my best option. I hope they can outlive this slump and dig themselves out of conflict, and start to satisfy the many angry users.
    10-21-11 10:55 AM
    BB is starting to remind me of the once dominate Windows Mobile. They got comfortable where they were but kept slipping and slipping. Now they woke up and realized they can not survive on just their name alone. They are making a come back with Windows Phone 7, and right now are the biggest threat to RIM to take over the #3 spot, which will happen sooner vs later now that Nokia is on board.

So hopefully RIM doesn't have to hit rock bottom like MS did with windows mobile before they realize it's not easy to play catch up.
    10-21-11 10:57 AM
    I'm not "waiting for" anything. The device I have does what I need it to do.
    10-21-11 10:57 AM
    cause is BlackBerry and is nothing else.
    and why you whine here ?? go sing to other table please, they have more they might give you some tips.

This Is My BlackBerry

This is my BlackBerry.
    There are many like it, but this one is mine.
    My BlackBerry is my best friend.
    It is my life.
    I must master it, as I must master my life.
    Without me, my BlackBerry is useless.
    Without my BlackBerry, I am useless.
    I must operate my BlackBerry true.
    I must IM faster than my iEnemy who is trying to kill BBM.
    I must out-message him before he out-messages me. I will...
    My BlackBerry and myself know that what counts in a smartphone war is not the sound of fart apps.
    We know that it is the productivity that counts.
    My BlackBerry is smart, even as I, because it is mine.
    I will learn it as a brother.
    I will learn its weakness, its strength, its parts, its accessories, its options and its menu.
    I will ever guard it against the ravages of weather and damage as I will ever guard my legs, my arms, my eyes and my heart against Apple.
    Before CrackBerry.com, I swear this creed.
    My BlackBerry and myself are defenders of the BlackBerry Community.
    We are the masters of our iEnemy.
    We are the saviors of my business and personal life.
    So BB it, until there is no enemy, but Peace.

all good having fun!
    Now this is so sad.
    10-21-11 10:58 AM
    Believe me I was always an advocate for Blackberry devices. As others switched to iPhones and Androids, I stuck it out with Blackberry because of the reliability of their push e-mail.

But even on that front, even if they are still the best, other platforms are offering reliable solutions as well. And when you consider everything else, the current OS and devices just don't deliver anymore.

I mean come on. I told my friends the other day that RIM is giving us free apps to apologize, and their response- really? they actually have apps?

tsk tsk.
    10-21-11 11:03 AM
    Believe me I was always an advocate for Blackberry devices. As others switched to iPhones and Androids, I stuck it out with Blackberry because of the reliability of their push e-mail.

But even on that front, even if they are still the best, other platforms are offering reliable solutions as well. And when you consider everything else, the current OS and devices just don't deliver anymore.

I mean come on. I told my friends the other day that RIM is giving us free apps to apologize, and their response- really? they actually have apps?

tsk tsk.
    You're asking us why we haven't left, yet you haven't given us a compelling argument of what we should leave for.

Opinion vs. Fact.
    Last edited by Wretch 64; 10-21-11 at 11:13 AM.
    Thud Hardsmack and PTZ like this.
    10-21-11 11:07 AM
    I don't know, I've loved my Blackberry, defended it against iphone users, but at the moment I am pretty disappointed in the company. The free apps are garbage and even if there was one that i would want I'd have to wait? I'm just so fed up @ this moment. One of the selling features for me when I got the phone was the keyboad, now I don't care anymore. Would much rather have a decent sized screen and processor speed and something that doesn't freeze.
    10-21-11 11:13 AM

tsk tsk.
    Are you trying to convince yourself or others to switch to another device? It seems to me that the current OS on the phones are not so much the problem (nice looking, smooth), but rather the lack of apps are what's bothersome to you.

And why do you care what your friends think about the product of your choice? A lot of people tend to be ignorant about any device that isn't what they use (case in point, your friends). We see it on this forum all the time. You're also forgetting that numerous people venture into iphone and/or Android territory, only to come back to BB and write about their experiences.
    nccjones likes this.
    10-21-11 11:25 AM
    My question is this: why do so many former BlackBerry users feel the need to come here and regurgitate the same arguments and questions as the last 100 'why do you stay?!' posters? You know you're just going to get the same answers as the last guy, and the one before, and the one before that, and the one before that . . .

Is it because you're insecure about your decision?

I will admit, my BlackBerry has been annoying me a lot lately, and I find myself considering alternatives, but I can promise you one thing: if I go to another platform, I won't come back here to drone on about why, expecting people to care.
    10-21-11 11:27 AM
    You're asking us why we haven't left, yet you haven't given us a compelling argument of why we should leave.

Opinion vs. Fact.
    I realize my initial post was too subjective. Sorry about that.

Here are the things I considered:

1. OS7 was an improvement in speed, but it also decreased the number of available apps for us. On the other hand, the number of apps in the Android Market (even the free ones) and iOS5 opens a lot of possibilities for phones.

For instance, Voice Talk / Search on the Galaxy SII is almost like Siri, not close, but almost there. The drivesafe.ly app that RIM gave didn't even work on my 9900 (saw several other posts about this). Their GPS and mapping apps are much more robust and powerful, with turn by turn directions.

I have a business partner in Thailand and there are times we need to get on Skype. I have to rush home to use my Mac just for this. I really don't think we will ever get Skype on our Blackberries. Or if it's being developed, I can't wait anymore.

And while it might seem trivial to you, Angry Birds is a game I actually find very entertaining and takes some stress away after a day's worth of work. RIM has promised this on our Playbooks eons ago, and after Dev Con, I guess we can include that on their list of failed promises.

2. I am a photographer by profession and sometimes, when I don't have my laptop with me, I need to show off my work quickly. The 9900 does have a good screen but it is too small. Both the iPhone4 and Galaxy SII win here. I know the 9810 should be able to help me here, but why go for an inferior screen if I can have the best in the market? I need my clients to see the best representation of my work. You might say that I should just used the Playbook to do this, but I am also getting rid of my Playbook.

The camera on the 9900 is okay, and there are times I have to admit it produces better photos than the iPhone4, but when compared to the Galaxy SII's 8MP camera, it still loses out.

3. BBM. While this is a deal breaker still for a lot of us, it is no longer true for me. I can live without this. We have SMS. We have cross platform messaging apps and my friends are all on Google Talk, AIM, and Yahoo Messenger. And, there's SMS. Not a big deal for me now.

4. Timeliness of Delivery. This is for me, important. I want to support a company that has integrity which RIM sadly lacks (at least at this point in time). While Apple and Google are not all saints, they have constantly delivered on what they have promised. Improved UI on their OS upgrades, timely fixes on their OS glitches, constant development of apps, etc.

5. Battery Life. Blackberry used to be the best here. But frankly, all smart phones nowadays need to be charged on a daily basis anyway. And while the 9900's battery life is good for me, so are the iPhone4's and Galaxy SII's batteries. Androids used to have sucky battery life, but not on the Galaxy SII given the right adjustments.

6. OS/Apps- Don't you find it funny that we are all excited about Blackberry OS, whether it is on the Playbook or the so called BBX phones, to play Android apps? Like what I mentioned above, why wait for that when we can just go for the real thing? And I guess the fact that we are all excited for the Android app player does mean that apps matter. And if QNX/BBX is gonna be huge, well the Playbook does have QNX already- how come no one's writing apps for it?

7. Playbook failure. It has very good specs, I won't take that away from it. But come on. No PIM features and we are practically begging RIM for OS2 just for that? The reason why I bought the Playbook was due to it's size as I am constantly on the go and work out everyday and don't have to lug around an iPad. Well- I should have researched more. There are better options out there. Months and months and months of waiting and we get a sneak preview of OS2 and we are amazed at what I'd call a really minor OS tweak (ability to make folders and dock some icons? that's really basic huh.)

Why should we leave? Simply because there are better and stronger options out there. Both on hardware and on the software end.

I hope this helped.
    avmsam likes this.
    10-21-11 11:29 AM
    My question is this: why do so many former BlackBerry users feel the need to come here and regurgitate the same arguments and questions as the last 100 'why do you stay?!' posters? You know you're just going to get the same answers as the last guy, and the one before, and the one before that, and the one before that . . .

Is it because you're insecure about your decision?

I will admit, my BlackBerry has been annoying me a lot lately, and I find myself considering alternatives, but I can promise you one thing: if I go to another platform, I won't come back here to drone on about why, expecting people to care.
    Actually you are right. I did have some insecurities about ditching RIM. But when Dev Con wrapped up, I am now very very convinced. And I posted my initial post just to share my thoughts and to really ask all of you what you guys are still waiting for. See my previous post for some objective reasons why this is the best time to leave RIM.

By the way I still have my 9900 but have decided to sell it. I'm afraid to sell my Playbook, only because I'm afraid of the cheap offers I am going to receive.
    10-21-11 11:31 AM
    Actually you are right. I did have some insecurities about ditching RIM. But when Dev Con wrapped up, I am now very very convinced. And I posted my initial post just to share my thoughts and to really ask all of you what you guys are still waiting for. See my previous post for some objective reasons why this is the best time to leave RIM.

By the way I still have my 9900 but have decided to sell it. I'm afraid to sell my Playbook, only because I'm afraid of the cheap offers I am going to receive.
    You wont get much reception from the die hards here, but that being said I can understand your frustration 100%. I know I feel the same way. I'm a Canadian and I will support a Canadian company above all else, but they are reallllly pushing their luck.
    10-21-11 11:41 AM
    You wont get much reception from the die hards here, but that being said I can understand your frustration 100%. I know I feel the same way. I'm a Canadian and I will support a Canadian company above all else, but they are reallllly pushing their luck.
    actually my objective was really to find out what everyone else was waiting for, or maybe why they still chose to stick with Blackberry.

I'm not Canadian, but I can identify with your sense of nationalism. I sincerely hope RIM fixes their act.
    10-21-11 12:04 PM
    Well I think you articulated why you switched very well in your subsequent posts. And I think you answer your own question. You left because your BB stopped doing what you needed/wanted it to do. And that is a very logical reason to change phones.

I would assume those who are staying are staying because their phones are still doing what they need them to do. Though I can only speak for myself. I haven't had any problems with my BB and it is doing everything I need it to do. So for now I haven't really needed to think about switching.
    10-21-11 12:16 PM
    I'm not "waiting for" anything. The device I have does what I need it to do.
    Exactly. Everyone has the right to choose their device. If it does what you want and your happy, why not?
    10-21-11 12:38 PM
    I have been considering going to the iphone because of the app support and development for those devices.. I'm tired of RIM not being innovative, from OS 5 to now they've change minor things in the OS and minor things in the hardware but still pumping out the same ol blackberry that's does the same ol things.. And yes even though blackberry has push email, my email looks way better on my ipod touch and its supports full html email and two way sync.. Why RIM can't figure this out and have it look just as nice on a blackberry? From what I understand OS 7 devices sort of supports it but still needs work.. I have a ton of other reason why as well but I will say in short that my current BB that I have will be my last and I never thought I will say that.. I have been using BB's since 2007 and been a loyal customer to the brand, but come on its been 4 years and I haven't seen no real dramatic innovative change from RIM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-21-11 12:44 PM
    I did have some insecurities about ditching RIM. But when Dev Con wrapped up, I am now very very convinced.
    Don't base your decision on what happened at a developers conference. As a developer, I saw some exciting stuff and to me the future looks bright for RIM. Of course that all depends on if they follow through with phones and what not. But, the tools are available now to get the job done.

DevCon wasn't like the Vegas CES. It was to show developers what tools are available, and what can be done. And the assurance that any app created today for QNX, will run on all future tablets and phones (and other QNX devices).

But it sounds as if you now have other needs that aren't being met by a BB. So in that case you're doing the right thing. And maybe in a couple years you'll come back
    Michelle Haag and bbmtna like this.
    10-21-11 12:50 PM
    this is exactly what i was thinking about. a lot of us here think for as long as it does the job, then well and good.

but the truth is a lot more can be done. who doesn't want more options for applications? who doesn't want better processor speeds and dual core at that? who doesn't want the ability to do video calling? who doesn't want more robust and better quality cameras on their phones? how about 1080HD video capture?

i havent had problems with my 9900 or playbook, at least in the technical sense. no glitches or major OS issues. even the battery on my 9900 is fairly good.

but think again, there is a problem. and i think i articulated this in my other posts already.

have you guys taken some time to test drive the phones that are out there? try fiddling with the iPhone4S or the samsung galaxy SII if you haven't. you just might get my point.

believe me, just a couple of days back, i wasn't even giving this a thought. but after seeing how the two CEOs of RIM just destroyed their credibilities and after doing comparative phone and OS reviews, i started to wonder where all this blind faith is really coming from.

just like the x-files tagline says- the truth is out there. and yes, we have the right to choose. to choose the best out there.
    avmsam likes this.
    10-21-11 12:51 PM
    I have been considering going to the iphone because of the app support and development for those devices.. I'm tired of RIM not being innovative, from OS 5 to now they've change minor things in the OS and minor things in the hardware but still pumping out the same ol blackberry that's does the same ol things.. And yes even though blackberry has push email, my email looks way better on my ipod touch and its supports full html email and two way sync.. Why RIM can't figure this out and have it look just as nice on a blackberry? From what I understand OS 7 devices sort of supports it but still needs work.. I have a ton of other reason why as well but I will say in short that my current BB that I have will be my last and I never thought I will say that.. I have been using BB's since 2007 and been a loyal customer to the brand, but come on its been 4 years and I haven't seen no real dramatic innovative change from RIM!

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    I totally agree with you about the e-mail and two way sync thing. Now that the GMail plugin is included in the OS, I thought for sure two way sync would be flawless. Nope. I'll read an e-mail from my desktop browser, and maybe the next day it shows as read on my BB. Very irritating. Same thing for syncing multiple Google Calendars. It won't do it. And, two way Google contact sync doesn't work either.

This was the main reason I hesitated going back to BB. Of course on an Android phone it's flawless, and that's to be expected. But if e-mail is the "thing" for RIM, it still fails to integrate with popular web based e-mail. And I know a lot depends on Google creating a better enhanced plugin, but why didn't RIM demand true two way sync before including it in their OS?
    10-21-11 12:57 PM
    Don't base your decision on what happened at a developers conference. As a developer, I saw some exciting stuff and to me the future looks bright for RIM. Of course that all depends on if they follow through with phones and what not. But, the tools are available now to get the job done.

DevCon wasn't like the Vegas CES. It was to show developers what tools are available, and what can be done. And the assurance that any app created today for QNX, will run on all future tablets and phones (and other QNX devices).

But it sounds as if you now have other needs that aren't being met by a BB. So in that case you're doing the right thing. And maybe in a couple years you'll come back
    Yeah I'm not a developer, but after reading about Dev Con, I didn't see or hear anything really compelling. So more apps? Okay, when? What's the timeline? Seems those new apps because of the new development tools are for BBX/QNX but given RIM's recent history of under delivering timelines they set for themselves, I am not willing to wait.

Nothing ground breaking, nothing compelling. Just helped me realize that really, there are more exciting things out there. Helped me see that while RIM is struggling to play catch up, we can opt to use products that are already way ahead and will always be.
    10-21-11 01:01 PM
    Yeah I'm not a developer, but after reading about Dev Con, I didn't see or hear anything really compelling. So more apps? Okay, when? What's the timeline? Seems those new apps because of the new development tools are for BBX/QNX but given RIM's recent history of under delivering timelines they set for themselves, I am not willing to wait.

Nothing ground breaking, nothing compelling. Just helped me realize that really, there are more exciting things out there. Helped me see that while RIM is struggling to play catch up, we can opt to use products that are already way ahead and will always be.
    "When" is the big question. It's like the chicken before the egg thing. Will developers create the apps based on new devices maybe coming out in coming months? Or will they wait to see how the new devices are received before creating apps for them?

The new development tools greatly speed up development time. So apps can be cranked out a lot quicker now. And with HTML5, you reach a whole new audience of developers.

And of course there are more exciting things out there, that's always the case. I'm stoked about the new Nexes that was just announced, and will probably get it. But you know in three months (or less) the next new and exciting thing will be out.

That's just technology. And the beauty is: there is something for everyone. There's no wrong or right choice; it's what ever works for you at the time. And right now, BB is for me after a 2 year absence. I'm sure down the road, it will be something else.
    10-21-11 01:08 PM
90 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD