There must be ways in which OS 7 is better in terms of features or functionality than IOS. Got any examples?

Or might there already be a published list at which you can point me?

Thanks for sharing.
    09-06-12 08:15 PM
    There must be ways in which OS 7 is better in terms of features or functionality than IOS. Got any examples?

Or might there already be a published list at which you can point me?

Thanks for sharing.
    Multitasking, it sucks in iOS, and some can argue for security. Other than that, both do exactly the same thing. Apple has a much larger amount of third party developers though, which translates into more apps and more third party functionality.
    09-06-12 08:42 PM
    Multitasking, it sucks in iOS, and some can argue for security. Other than that, both do exactly the same thing. Apple has a much larger amount of third party developers though, which translates into more apps and more third party functionality.
    Even that is arguable. BB7 implements multitasking differently but it is terrible at running multiple apps simultaneously. I have nightmares about that bloody clock icon.
    phonejunky likes this.
    09-06-12 08:54 PM
    Even that is arguable. BB7 implements multitasking differently but it is terrible at running multiple apps simultaneously. I have nightmares about that bloody clock icon.
    lol i don't i've never really had the clock icon show up, i don't know if it even exists on BBOS7 lol
    wolfee48 and kemj like this.
    09-06-12 09:09 PM
    From your BlackBerry you can click this link
    408-996-1010x2
    and it will dial the number, pause and press 2 for the extension automatically
    if you use the iPhone, you have to manually press 2.

Not an issue when the extension code is a single digit, but when the extension codes are 4 digits and you dial a lot of them in a day it is SO FRUSTRATING!

in your mailbox you can view inbox and outbox simultaneously no waiting, in the BlackBerry mailbox, in the iPhone you HAVE to view them separately, and your sent box doesn't default syncing with your sent items unless sent from the iPhone, so you could be waiting a long time should you use your desktop for a lot of emails.

You control your apps from within the App on BlackBerry, you have to stop what you're doing leave the app go to systems and find the controls on iOS if you don't like how an app is behaving

Those are just means that don't include if you have a keyboard on the device, add the BB keyboard and I'd go on for paragraphs on what RIM does better
    09-06-12 10:06 PM
    A lot of great shortcuts. Excellent email. Great flow. But I'm sure OP will say he loves it on IOS. So what exactly is the point in asking? It really comes down to a matter of preference. Really haven't had much "clocking" on my 9930.

Overall it is an excellent and stable OS.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    09-06-12 10:07 PM
    I hardly ever see the clock icon since the lastest OS 7.1 update.

The multitasking is awesome. I love how app options are available in the menu everywhere. For example, you can update your Twitter from the menu instead of opening the app.

OS 7 also has a better notification center and unified inbox merged with social networks and other apps. Every notification is in one place.
    09-06-12 10:07 PM
    yup... multitasking is the best..
    1 second BB menu press and you open up another app..
    might not mean much to some. but for me, while on call, easily i go to menu, open any app, check out what's needed, and continue conversation with info in hand (head).
    easily could toggle between apps.. copy paste infos to text message or email..
    and blackberry is the best for businesses... less for games..
    and i regularly discuss ideas with my associates in bbm group.

Sent from my torchy Torch 9800 using Tapatalk
    kemj likes this.
    09-06-12 10:24 PM
    yup... multitasking is the best..
    1 second BB menu press and you open up another app..
    might not mean much to some. but for me, while on call, easily i go to menu, open any app, check out what's needed, and continue conversation with info in hand (head).
    easily could toggle between apps.. copy paste infos to text message or email..
    and blackberry is the best for businesses... less for games..
    and i regularly discuss ideas with my associates in bbm group.

Sent from my torchy Torch 9800 using Tapatalk
    agreed i do that sort of stuff o na regular basis, lets hope BB10 has that same ability to swipe and switch through apps while on speaker phone or bluetooth

although i'm sure it can be done with iOS or android also its just pretty simple and straight forward to do it with a bb
    09-06-12 10:30 PM
    How about data compression? With the major US carriers going to data-based plans, an iPhone will bring you over your data cap long before your BB7 phone will.
    09-06-12 11:24 PM
    The physical keyboard and all of its advantages are what keeps bringing me back after trying the latest and greatest iOS or Android phone. The amazing shortcuts and speed at typing numbers and characters make it a must for work.

The availability of Microsoft Office Communicator client is awesome on the BB. Doesn't exist on iOS.

The seamless mobile conferencing is one of those things that just eliminates a nagging, annoying issue, in this case it's dialing in or hosting conference calls on the go. I have about 10 of my colleagues' conference lines stored for one touch dial. If I've added that call profile to the meeting in outlook, the reminder pops up with an option to join the meeting in one click. Dialing the 800#, then a long string of numbers and sometimes even a pw after that, on the go, is absolutely painful and the BB with OS7 fixes that.

Being able to scroll-select multiple emails for filing or deleting is so easy. Super pain in the rear on iOS.

Filing messages with intelligence - if I've filed a message and get subsequent messages in that thread, I don't have to select the folder again in which to file. It just knows it should be in the same folder as the rest of the filed thread. I have over 100 folders and scrolling through my entire folder structure every time I want to file a message on iOS = painful.

Anyone that says BB isn't the most efficient and productive smartphone for hard core communication is in denial. That doesn't mean its the right phone for all - we all have different needs. I need my phone to not get in my way of making money and my BB does it perfectly. If I had a higher priority on music, games and web, I would think about iOS or Android again.
    09-06-12 11:43 PM
    My 9930 has the best keyboard ever, iOS can't say that. Better communication device, multitasking and handling email.
    09-07-12 12:10 AM
    Not just os 7 specific, but bridging. A blackberry and a playbook work great together. And it will get even better. i OS has no such thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    morganplus8 likes this.
    09-07-12 12:17 AM
    Not just os 7 specific, but bridging. A blackberry and a playbook work great together. And it will get even better. i OS has no such thing.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9850 using Tapatalk
    thats supposed to be coming for iOS6, they can't even think of their own stuff apone device release they have to bring it in after RIM has had it for the playbook since it was released. a key sellign point they have to mimic to try and pull those wowed by the feature away from BlackBerry
    09-07-12 12:40 AM
    Well other than a keyboard, which is hardware and not the OS therefore doesn't apply, app integration is where its at. It's nearly non-existent. The current BBOS does this so much better iOS pales in comparison.

It's crazy to think that seeing as iOS is the next oldest OS out there that they still can't get this right. Pretty comical if you ask me.
    09-07-12 12:53 AM
    The amount of customization for notifications and profiles combined with the LED are deeper than anything iOS offer.
    09-07-12 01:20 AM
    For media, news, games and such I love my iPhone. For everyday use as a communicator I prefer my Bold 9930. For me nothing does email, text and voice better. Plus drop it in the charge cradle and sleep mode takes over!
    09-07-12 01:57 AM
    A huge one for me is...

To toggle off/on Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, NFC (woops that's just on BBOS)

On OS 7 or 7.1: Tap the top of the screen, select whatever you want from the menu

On iOS: Home button, scroll to settings, click settings, click general, click on bluetooth or wifi, and select on or off.

For a task that you perform x amount of times per day...think about how much time that's wasting on an iPhone. Really looking forward to seeing how BB10 handles this important part of the OS.
    09-07-12 08:46 AM
    How about data compression? With the major US carriers going to data-based plans, an iPhone will bring you over your data cap long before your BB7 phone will.
    If the bulk of your data usage consists of emails and messaging, yes. If it consists primarily of photos and videos and music - these are already compressed irrespective of the device. If the bulk of your data is from browsing - yes, but for other devices there is compression also, depending on the browser that is being used. Anyone have more insight into the whole data compression thing?

You can see the effect by using one of the data calculators, such as the one from Telus:

http://www.telusmobility.com/en/QC/m...lculator.shtml

or from Rogers:

http://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.por...l=wrlsDataCalc
    Last edited by cynicalreader; 09-07-12 at 10:13 AM.
    09-07-12 10:08 AM
    The amount of customization for notifications and profiles combined with the LED are deeper than anything iOS offer.
    Customization? Yes. Real life use? Not necessarily.

When I'm sitting at work, I can prop my iphone up, lock the screen, and read emails, texts, phone calls without ever stopping what I'm doing at my computer. Blackberry has no such feature.

Each OS is different and has different advantages. I can tell you that iOS probably does more things better than OS7 does, or else they wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel and come out with BB10. Rim sees its limitations.
    09-07-12 10:35 AM
    Customization? Yes. Real life use? Not necessarily.

When I'm sitting at work, I can prop my iphone up, lock the screen, and read emails, texts, phone calls without ever stopping what I'm doing at my computer. Blackberry has no such feature.

Each OS is different and has different advantages. I can tell you that iOS probably does more things better than OS7 does, or else they wouldn't be trying to reinvent the wheel and come out with BB10. Rim sees its limitations.
    What do you mean by "prop it up"?

are you saying that you dock your iPhone and real emails or your computer?
    09-07-12 10:37 AM
    What do you mean by "prop it up"?

are you saying that you dock your iPhone and real emails or your computer?
    I use two monitors and I put the iphone in front of the monitors, facing me with it's back on the monitors.

When I get an email or text, the screen lights up and gives me a couple of seconds to read it. Then I decide if it's worth replying to right away or can wait a couple of minutes.
    09-07-12 10:46 AM
    I use two monitors and I put the iphone in front of the monitors, facing me with it's back on the monitors.

When I get an email or text, the screen lights up and gives me a couple of seconds to read it. Then I decide if it's worth replying to right away or can wait a couple of minutes.
    Oh, well Blackberry can do that in a couple of different ways.

1. You can use an app for an email/sms popup notification

2. This is where the talk of LED customization comes from. You can customize the LED light to blink a certain color and/or number of times depending on the the type of notification (email, text, or app) or contact in your phone. This is why people like the customization features of Blackberry over iPhone.
    brucep1 likes this.
    09-07-12 10:49 AM

2. This is where the talk of LED customization comes from. You can customize the LED light to blink a certain color and/or number of times depending on the the type of notification (email, text, or app) or contact in your phone. This is why people like the customization features of Blackberry over iPhone.
    I was unaware of an app that lights up the screen and displays the message sender and message. What is it called?

I know the LED is awesome, it always has been.
    09-07-12 10:54 AM

While I like the customization of the LED, it doesn't give the same solution that he's talking about.

his screen automatically turns on and the text of the notification is visible to him. It's a lot different than a light turning on that he then has to unlock his phone and navigate to his inbox to see.
    09-07-12 10:59 AM
109 123 ...
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD