Either your friend is lying or you are.
    Neither, thank you.
    12-26-12 01:24 PM
    So what if they are Google's and not the manufacturer's? The end user get to use them either way.

There's no arguing against paranoia, but here's another thing you may not realize. Users can configure their privacy options to whatever their comfortable with. Not comfortable with give your location? Don't want you web search history kept? Just opt out. Google doesn't have a password keeper app, just so you know, but they do have two-factor authentication now along with the nifty Authenticator app which Dropbox also uses. I could type in my Google password at an internet cafe and even if they have a keylogger, they still won't be able to access my account.

The thing is, if you choose to to boycott Google completely, you end up with a second-rate web experience. If I'm looking up the solution to a problem, I'm not going to use any other search engine unless I want to waste my time clicking through pages of links. If I boycotted YouTube videos, most of the sites on the Web will have gaping holes in them. If I want to reliably find a location, I'm not going to use Bing maps or whatever. So tell me, is this how you chose to live your online life?
    Matter of opinion. Google isn't God after all and I seem to function fine without their services
    12-26-12 01:26 PM
    then tell him to uncheck that option! i like the option to store my saved wifi points. If i did not want to store the wifi point then i would NOT check the option when i first connect.
    The wifi point was set on his Android phone, once he logged into his new Tablet with his google account the wifi point and password got transfered to the tablet too. He was surprised to see his tablet connect to his work wifi automatically.
    12-26-12 01:27 PM
    Didn't someone object to going off topic?????? A few posts back????? So now it's OK to go off topic to go on the Google is the Devil and they're out to steal our firstborn children rampage????

OK.....got it......going off topic is only acceptable when rampaging against Google or Apple.....
    12-26-12 01:29 PM
    Matter of opinion. Google isn't God after all and I seem to function fine without their services
    Not even YouTube? If Google did something like crazy awful and I decided to end all interaction with their services, this is one of the 2 or 3 I'd miss the most.
    12-26-12 01:29 PM
    The wifi point was set on his Android phone, once he logged into his new Tablet with his google account the wifi point and password got transfered to the tablet too. He was surprised to see his tablet connect to his work wifi automatically.
    yes that is exactly what its supposed to do. your google account stores "saved" wifi points. if you access a wifi network and you choose to "save" that point it will be stored into your google account so when you setup a device that info is then automatically back on the phone, tablet etc.
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    12-26-12 01:30 PM
    I responded to that a few posts ago. It's called part of the information that's just stored in the cloud, something my Sidekicks did in 2007. Would you or your friend think it was as big of a deal if a Playbook connected to a wifi point automatically when first logged in with a BB ID?

ETA: For clarification, the Sidekicks didn't save wifi data, but the did save other information that was transfered automatically from device to device once I activated a new one.
    12-26-12 01:31 PM
    I responded to that a few posts ago. It's called part of the information that's just stored in the cloud, something my Sidekicks did in 2007. Would you or your friend think it was as big of a deal if a Playbook connected to a wifi point automatically when first logged in with a BB ID?

ETA: For clarification, the Sidekicks didn't save wifi data, but the did save other information that was transfered automatically from device to device once I activated a new one.
    No, I have no reason not to trust RIM so far, Google on the other hand already stole millions of WIFI points and passwords around the world with the Street View Cars, found guilty, ordered to delete them and didn't years later.

Hmmm, who should we trust?

EDIT, say if you want to delete your google account, would you trust Google to delete your saved wifi points? They failed to delete the ones they stole and they were ordered by courts to delete them.
    12-26-12 01:36 PM
    For the convenience and entertainment value of using Google services, they can collect my browser and location data and do whatever they want with it. Sell it to advertisers, give it away at church raffles, donate it to Goodwill, report me to the Chinese government, it's all fine. They'll mostly see that I use a proxy in Denver or Atlanta to mostly watch Youtube, Hulu, and Netflix with the occasional Google search for naked pictures of Hillary Rodham Clinton.*

*That's a joke.
    12-26-12 01:37 PM
    For the convenience and entertainment value of using Google services, they can collect my browser and location data and do whatever they want with it. Sell it to advertisers, give it away at church raffles, donate it to Goodwill, report me to the Chinese government, it's all fine. They'll mostly see that I use a proxy in Denver or Atlanta to mostly watch Youtube, Hulu, and Netflix with the occasional Google search for naked pictures of Hillary Rodham Clinton.*

*That's a joke.
    Right, so you're afraid enough of Google to hide yourself trough a proxy. Proves my point they can't be trusted, obviously you don't.
    12-26-12 01:41 PM
    Not even YouTube? If Google did something like crazy awful and I decided to end all interaction with their services, this is one of the 2 or 3 I'd miss the most.
    I was commenting on

The thing is, if you choose to to boycott Google completely, you end up with a second-rate web experience. If I'm looking up the solution to a problem, I'm not going to use any other search engine unless I want to waste my time clicking through pages of links. If I boycotted YouTube videos, most of the sites on the Web will have gaping holes in them. If I want to reliably find a location, I'm not going to use Bing maps or whatever. So tell me, is this how you chose to live your online life?

They may get my ip when I'm on YouTube but I don't have to be signed in to watch things. I'm not sure how not using anything Google makes for a subpar Web experience. If I want to post videos there are other places same goes for anything else Google provides. I just choose to opt out of their we want everything you know and do. Really nothing wrong with Google, I just don't like their practices and they aren't the only ones.
    12-26-12 01:41 PM
    Right, so you're afraid enough of Google to hide yourself trough a proxy. Proves my point they can't be trusted, obviously you don't.
    No.... I use the proxy because Youtube is inaccessible from China, that Great Firewall of China thing. Netflix and Hulu are location restricted, you can only view them from the US, or perhaps it's NA. The proxy lets me get around that.cli

Addendum: I should also add..... Google stuff works better through a proxy in China. Google stuff just doesn't work very well here. When I do a search and click on a link, more than half the time it doesn't work, the connection gets cut off. Half the time I can't access Gmail. Contentious relationship with Beijing and all that.
    12-26-12 01:44 PM
    No, I have no reason not to trust RIM so far, Google on the other hand already stole millions of WIFI points and passwords around the world with the Street View Cars, found guilty, ordered to delete them and didn't years later.

EDIT, say if you want to delete your google account, would you trust Google to delete your saved wifi points? They failed to delete the ones they stole and they were ordered by courts to delete them.
    NOT saying that Google's actions in that was cool...but on the other hand that's the price you pay for having an unsecured wi-fi connection. You leave your information out in the open for anyone to see. On most public wi-fi connections, they make you sign a waiver making sure you understand the risk of connecting to the public network. If you have a wi-fi connection, and your neighbor is able to see it and access it because it's not protected, your connection just became public.
    12-26-12 01:46 PM
    NOT saying that Google's actions in that was cool...but on the other hand that's the price you pay for having an unsecured wi-fi connection. You leave your information out in the open for anyone to see. On most public wi-fi connections, they make you sign a waiver making sure you understand the risk of connecting to the public network. If you have a wi-fi connection, and your neighbor is able to see it and access it because it's not protected, your connection just became public.
    So anybody should walk into your house if you don't lock your front door?
    12-26-12 01:50 PM
    I've been using a Note for almost a year and I love it. But before I bought it, I went to the store on more than one occasion and messed around with it, got a feel for the size, the S Pen when they had it available, etc... When I finally did buy it, I made sure of the return window and any fees.

The phone/tablet does take getting used to. It's certainly not for everyone. For me it's almost perfect. I can type on it fine with one hand, when I am walking, at work, shopping, etc.. But then again, I am bigger(height wise, lol) than the average person. But I doubt most people could. I have seen some try at work and they certainly couldn't. In that case, if you are looking to type with one hand, the phone is probably not for you. You really won't know until you try one out.. I use to love using Swype, but now I LOVE and pretty much only use SwiftKey. Best virtual keyboard I have ever used. The one thing I love about Android is, you have options, free and paid, for almost everything.

I take calls on my Note with no problem. I never really cared what others thought about the phone I use to make calls on. I text just fine. Email, once properly set up, works fine. No complaints. Of course email is better overall on a BB. But its still good, for me, on the Note. And in some cases, I like email on the Note better.

Videos, browsing the web, games and Google maps and NAV all look great on the bigger screen. Easy to read. Clear videos for when I watch YouTube, Crackle, or Netflix. No real complaints there. The camera is pretty good too. Takes great pictures(it's mostly all in the settings/setup) that I have printed out 4" x 6" that looked fine. Battery life is pretty good, IMO, considering the size of the phone/screen. I was not really expecting 24+ hours of battery life on a phone/tablet this size with this size screen and 4G anyway. I myself have options for long sessions when I may be away from an outlet.

If you are considering a Note 2, I suggest you play around with one in a store if possible, more than once, and read up on it online and on YouTube. Do your research, and figure out what you need. Ask about the return policy and any fees associated with it, if any. But I suggest this with almost anything that you are buying, if possible. Helps to avoid buyers remorse.

We don't really know what all BB10 will offer right now. We will find out at the end of January. I would say, at this point, you should just wait till then and compare the two, unless you really need a phone asap. You may love what they announce or you may be unimpressed. We all won't know until they reveal it all to us. I rarely go by rumors and leaks. They are exciting and helpful sometimes, but I prefer concrete info form the source over speculation.

And finally, you may want to also go to an Android forums to get opinions ans info. Expect some users to give you the same biased, misinformed, and flat out false replies there about BB just as you will get here about Android.

$0.02
    Last edited by Moonbaseone; 12-26-12 at 02:13 PM.
    Roo Zilla and pantlesspenguin like this.
    12-26-12 01:52 PM
    So anybody should walk into your house if you don't lock your front door?
    You're not entering someone else's private property. It's the same difference between cutting through a public park and cutting through someone else's fenced in yard.
    12-26-12 01:55 PM
    You're not entering someone else's private property. It's the same difference between cutting through a public park and cutting through someone else's fenced in yard.
    oh lordy now you'll get a dissertation on property rights.....
    pantlesspenguin and mikeo007 like this.
    12-26-12 02:01 PM
    oh lordy now you'll get a dissertation on property rights.....
    LOL!!! OK how about this, say you write your name, social security number, bank account numbers, etc written on a piece of paper. It's the difference between keeping that piece of paper in a locked safe and keeping that piece of paper under a rock at the public park.
    12-26-12 02:04 PM
    i'm thinking this has reached this stage....In what ways could BB10 compete with Note 2?-deadhorse.gif
    12-26-12 02:11 PM

They weren't stealing passwords.. That implies they were parked in front of your house trying to hack secure wifi. Give me a break

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-26-12 02:11 PM
    They weren't stealing passwords.. That implies they were parked in front of your house trying to hack secure wifi. Give me a break

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2
    Aaa, but they did, as well as email accounts passwords, you don't have to take my word for it, look it up.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-2179875/Google-admits-STILL-data-Street-View-cars-stole.html

"The data included user names, passwords, telephone numbers, records of internet chats, bank details, medical information and information from dating sites."
    12-26-12 02:13 PM
    Aaa, but they did, as well as email accounts passwords, you don't have to take my word for it, look it up.
    Ahh no they didn't. Everything was from open wifi connections, not trying to hack secure connections. Again, not saying it was right, and according to what I've read it was collected unknowingly. For all we know it could've been a weird bug in a system that was just meant to look for open wifi connections and it just collected more than it was designed to.
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-26-12 02:17 PM
    Ahh no they didn't. Everything was from open wifi connections, not trying to hack secure connections. Again, not saying it was right, and according to what I've read it was collected unknowingly. For all we know it could've been a weird bug in a system that was just meant to look for open wifi connections and it just collected more than it was designed to.
    Yes they did.

"The data included user names, passwords, telephone numbers, records of internet chats, bank details, medical information and information from dating sites."
    12-26-12 02:18 PM
    Yes they did.

The information was gathered from OPEN WIFI CONNECTIONS. Not SECURED. All that stuff is privvy to the public if you don't use a password secured connection.

ETA: Here, read this open wifi disclaimer I just pulled: http://www.wilsonnc.org/wifidisclaimer/
    mikeo007 likes this.
    12-26-12 02:19 PM
    i'm thinking this has reached this stage....Click image for larger version. 

Name:	deadhorse.gif 
Views:	42 
Size:	3.3 KB 
ID:	129543
    Nobody is twisting your arm to partake.
    12-26-12 02:19 PM
242 ... 78910