just last month and this week the Nokia shareholders, US government and the EU approved the Microsoft-Nokia acquisition. Microsoft gets Nokia's engineers, design patents and a 10 year licensing agreement from other Nokia services. though people and I were wondering how this would effect BB's business.

BB does have quite a stronghold in high security places and people (Barack Obama) and MS does have PCs in enterprise. also note BB is also going back to it's roots where they began (prosumer market) where they are trying to be big again.

Though I think high security people will pick BB cause of security fears. while they could pick MS because the mass uses their services and their WP OS and that tones of enterprises uses it.

But what do you think. Does the Microsoft-Nokia acquisition bring TOUGH and MAJOR competition to BB in cooperate market. or should BB ignore it because of their high security features?
    12-04-13 04:50 PM
    in what way will the Microsoft-Nokia acqussition effect BB??
    Not good.
    ajst222 likes this.
    12-04-13 04:56 PM
    You lost me at "prosumer market"
    12-04-13 05:25 PM
    Exactly.
    There is only one market now.
    BlackBerry's strategy, if that's what it is, is designed to fail unless they have a time machine somewhere

Posted via CB10
    JeepBB, SifiGamer and Henraay0623 like this.
    12-04-13 05:36 PM
    snip...also note BB is also going back to it's roots where they began (prosumer market) where they are trying to be big again. ...
    LOL. Problem with going back to "its roots" is a lot of those roots are now BYOD trees.

They better hit the Home Depot, get some seed, fertilizer and a couple of hundred chainsaws.
    JeepBB likes this.
    12-04-13 05:49 PM

well I do find it odd. But that's BB way if saying consumer market apparently

Sent from my Samsung Ativ S Tapatalk
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-04-13 06:13 PM
    I don't see MS Nokia having any affect on BlackBerry. Nokia seems to be finding its niche in low end smart phones right now. BlackBerry hopes to reclaim their former glory in business and security.
    12-04-13 07:21 PM
    I don't see MS Nokia having any affect on BlackBerry. Nokia seems to be finding its niche in low end smart phones right now. BlackBerry hopes to reclaim their former glory in business and security.
    That's where BlackBerry came into their own with bbos. If they lose that to nokia then BlackBerry will struggle

Posted via CB10
    12-04-13 07:38 PM
    MS isn't slouching in the area of security. They were pretty proud to announce the day they nailed all of the FIPS certs in one go and that's only one example. Their BitLocker encryption technology isn't being dogged on too much either.

Generally speaking though, I doubt the acquisition deal changes anything for BlackBerry because Windows Phone isn't changing just because the deal between these two companies is made official. It's the same competitor it has been up to now afterall.

There is no doubt that Microsoft is aiming for high marks in the corporate and enterprise segment, I think more aggressively than Apple or Google for sure. It is in that alone that BlackBerry can have cause to be on their A game.

Posted via CB10
    kbz1960 likes this.
    12-04-13 07:41 PM
    Apple seems to want some of the enterprise market, but they're doing fine in consumer. Google seems to only care about consumer since enterprise would probably frown upon their tracking, even for marketing purposes. Microsoft seems to want it all, as they always do, and they end up scattered. BlackBerry was already strong in enterprise, but went consumer, and like Microsoft, ended up scattered. Microsoft, therefore, is BlackBerry's main competitor in the enterprise market, but Microsoft is beholden to the U.S. government, whereas BlackBerry is not. This could be an edge up for BlackBerry in the non-U.S. enterprise market. By declaring their renewed enterprise focus, BlackBerry reassures their enterprise customers and that might be enough to gain non-U.S. enterprise.

How does the acquisition affect BB? Not much. Microsoft was already tightly coupled with Nokia's hardware division. If anything, WP advances will probably slow down, since it seemed like Nokia was pushing Microsoft for features and better memory footprint for low-end phones, things that Microsoft could care less about. Microsoft seems to want the top end only.
    12-04-13 08:23 PM
    Apple seems to want some of the enterprise market, but they're doing fine in consumer. Google seems to only care about consumer since enterprise would probably frown upon their tracking, even for marketing purposes. Microsoft seems to want it all, as they always do, and they end up scattered. BlackBerry was already strong in enterprise, but went consumer, and like Microsoft, ended up scattered. Microsoft, therefore, is BlackBerry's main competitor in the enterprise market, but Microsoft is beholden to the U.S. government, whereas BlackBerry is not. This could be an edge up for BlackBerry in the non-U.S. enterprise market. By declaring their renewed enterprise focus, BlackBerry reassures their enterprise customers and that might be enough to gain non-U.S. enterprise.

How does the acquisition affect BB? Not much. Microsoft was already tightly coupled with Nokia's hardware division. If anything, WP advances will probably slow down, since it seemed like Nokia was pushing Microsoft for features and better memory footprint for low-end phones, things that Microsoft could care less about. Microsoft seems to want the top end only.

Agree what you say but. All Nokia engineers are going to Microsoft and Stephen elop is in charge of the devices division. Since he was from.nokia I expect more from Microsoft since he was the person pushing Microsoft. Maybe though. But high end?? No. Microsoft is focusing on the low end market. That is where the users are and WP got a pretty decent head start on that

12-04-13 10:35 PM
    Agree what you say but. All Nokia engineers are going to Microsoft and Stephen elop is in charge of the devices division. Since he was from.nokia I expect more from Microsoft since he was the person pushing Microsoft. Maybe though. But high end?? No. Microsoft is focusing on the low end market. That is where the users are and WP got a pretty decent head start on that
    What happens if Elop becomes CEO of Microsoft? His responsibilities would shift to what the Board thinks Microsoft should do and that may not be the low-end. Microsoft, as a company, has been living on fat margins as a software company. They've already had losses on Xbox (look up those write-offs) and recently wrote off almost $1 billion in Surface tablets. Microsoft's entry into the hardware business is to emulate Apple's high-margin devices sales. I don't think they'll be content with low-end devices with small margins.
    12-04-13 11:28 PM
    What happens if Elop becomes CEO of Microsoft? His responsibilities would shift to what the Board thinks Microsoft should do and that may not be the low-end. Microsoft, as a company, has been living on fat margins as a software company. They've already had losses on Xbox (look up those write-offs) and recently wrote off almost $1 billion in Surface tablets. Microsoft's entry into the hardware business is to emulate Apple's high-margin devices sales. I don't think they'll be content with low-end devices with small margins.

the Microsoft board will obviously include low end to high end phones. Note that most of WPs market share is coming from the low end market. Aka Lumia 520. Also this is where google is going for the Moto G Microsoft is definitely not going to leave this market. Like I said this is where all the future smartphone users are going to come from. Even Samsung is going to focus More on the low end market.

12-05-13 12:11 AM
    Microsoft has one hardware success COX and that is #2 despite throwing mountains of cash at it. Also some nice keyboards and mice. Has had many hardware failures. The truth is like most other hardware tries MS Has the cash to buy a whole company just to promote software. As can Google.

Hardware carries the software that accesses the content and more software apps

Another is hardware carries the software that gives us the data about the user that helps us sell targeted advertising and the data

Another is the hardware carries the software that connects to secure services that enterprises are willing to pay for.

Apple and BlackBerry have the best models and can offer a soup to nuts closed package to different consumers who will pay a little more.

Google will get messier and messier and start losing to WP and BlackBerry but slowly. Will be tough on hardware vendors as margins will get thinner and thinner.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 12:16 AM
    If Microsoft comes up with a keyboarded phone, or autocorrect for the keyboard and universal search from home screen, I think BlackBerry will have a serious serious problem on their hands.
    Right now, if Nokia made a keyboarded Windows Phone, I'd definitely want to try it out.
    12-05-13 02:41 AM
    If Microsoft comes up with a keyboarded phone, or autocorrect for the keyboard and universal search from home screen, I think BlackBerry will have a serious serious problem on their hands.
    Right now, if Nokia made a keyboarded Windows Phone, I'd definitely want to try it out.
    Isn't that curious or what? There are plenty who love going on about how "outdated" it is to have a qwerty smartphone. Well, some of us write a lot and type way faster on a real keyboard and what I don't get there is that Nokia is churning out models of Windows Phones left and right in prices ranges as low as $100, so what would really be so difficult for them to put one single qwerty model out there and see how it fares?

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 02:48 AM
    Isn't that curious or what? There are plenty who love going on about how "outdated" it is to have a qwerty smartphone. Well, some of us write a lot and type way faster on a real keyboard and what I don't get there is that Nokia is churning out models of Windows Phones left and right in prices ranges as low as $100, so what would really be so difficult for them to put one single qwerty model out there and see how it fares?

Posted via CB10
    It's even more strange when you consider how many keyboarded android devices there are, basically none.
    You'd think with all the phones being churned out there'd be one proper keyboarded model.
    It would be v v hard to justify getting a BlackBerry if there was a proper android or windows phone, yet they don't seem to be bothered to make one.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 05:17 AM
    It's even more strange when you consider how many keyboarded android devices there are, basically none.
    You'd think with all the phones being churned out there'd be one proper keyboarded model.
    It would be v v hard to justify getting a BlackBerry if there was a proper android or windows phone, yet they don't seem to be bothered to make one.

Posted via CB10
    I think they've surveyed the pants off the market. Qwerty keyboard phones aren't selling. If anyone were to do it, it'd be those crazy guys in Korea. Samsung.
    Bsbudd and JeepBB like this.
    12-05-13 05:43 AM
    I think they've surveyed the pants off the market. Qwerty keyboard phones aren't selling. If anyone were to do it, it'd be those crazy guys in Korea. Samsung.
    Exactly. And if you think a keyboard phone would sell in this day and age, wouldn't you think Samsung would be at it? People have migrated to full touch smartphones and it's clear that there is little to no demand for physical keyboarded smartphones.
    12-05-13 05:57 AM
    The Microsoft-Nokia acquisition has no effect on Blackberry now as their joint venture started several years ago. Despite of this Windows Phone still lacks several important features that BB10 had from launch.

I don't see Microsoft as a serious threat against Blackberry as they completely incapable and slow compared to for example Android. The greatest threat against Blackberry is Blackberry themselves. Nokia managed to grasp the budget market very well with cheap WP handsets. Blackberry chose not to do this despite they are big have loyal customers in emerging markets and I think Blackberry is losing out much because of this.
    12-05-13 06:22 AM
    Microsoft is a huge threat. They are moving towards full integration between home, desktop, and mobile. XBox, Windows8 and Windows Phone.

When all is said and done their ecosystem will be more tightly integrated than even Apple.

Microsoft is in this for the long term. They are huge, slow, and follow trends rather than set them. So short term success is meaningless to them.

What does this mean for BB? Microsoft will realize 'mobile computing'. They have the desktop OS for full integration. We have seen BB concept videos of mobile computing in action on the corporate side. But long term Microsoft is actually in the position to realistically achieve this.
    kevinnugent, kbz1960 and ajst222 like this.
    12-05-13 06:41 AM
    I personally bought a BlackBerry for the keyboard alone. There are plenty of people who have done the same, admittedly plenty of BlackBerry owners which is still not a huge figure.
    I just can't understand why someone big hasn't made a keyboarded phone because then BlackBerry would offer absolutely nothing to those consumers.
    Would have thought they'd be queuing up to strike the killer blow.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 07:38 AM
    There have been plenty of droids with a pkb. None of them sold well. Was it the pkb or because they were horrible pkb's?
    12-05-13 07:51 AM
    It's interesting to note that Heins addressed this in one of his first press interviews:

"I think we're in a different position, we have roughly 80 million users today — Nokia doesn't have that, they're not in the service play, they have no value on top of the handsets."
    Except of course they do now have a services play.
    12-05-13 08:47 AM
    It's interesting to note that Heins addressed this in one of his first press interviews:

Except of course they do now have a services play.
    And he did go on to kill the BlackBerry service play. That's heins for you though.

There have been keyboarded androids yes, but never top spec, never good keyboards, never proper integration of keyboard into Os.
    If there was, I really couldn't see the draw of bb10 devices anymore, if it was done well on android or even windows phone.

Posted via CB10
    12-05-13 11:21 AM
46 12