Hi i just did a test with my BB 8520 i setup Blackberry protect on it with my one sim, then i formatted it reloaded the OS removed the BB protect app and put my other sim in then went to the Blackberry protect website to see if i can find it and this is what i got,

Phone Status: Active
    Location reporting is disabled in the options menu of the BlackBerry Protect Application on this device
    Play Sound: Pending: this command will be delivered the next time your device is connected to a wireless network.

and so on, so other than doing a back up of your data what use is it if your phone gets stolen?
    10-22-12 09:00 AM
    You can wipe your phone remotely,lock your phone remotely, send a message to the criminal, cause it to make a loud noise and most importantly you can gps track your phone.
    10-22-12 09:07 AM
    I suggest using password protection on your device, in conjunction with BB Protect. But then again, if your phone gets wiped after too many tries, it's just as good as deleting the app...
    10-22-12 09:13 AM
    @eve6er69
    But that's what im saying you cant, if they format it and remove the BB protect app from the phone all those things you mentioned don't work. i tested it.
    10-22-12 09:14 AM
    Jessie it takes awhile to steal your phone and bring it home and format it. Lock it or wipe it or just follow it via gps to where they bring it and kick down their door. Lol

Or am I missing the real meaning to this post? Lol
    10-22-12 09:26 AM
    Jessie it takes awhile to steal your phone and bring it home and format it. Lock it or wipe it or just follow it via gps to where they bring it and kick down their door. Lol

Or am I missing the real meaning to this post? Lol
    Doesn't a security wipe after 10 failed password tries delete your apps too? I know the manual sec wipe has an option for deleting apps.
    10-22-12 09:33 AM
    @eve6er69
    lol im just saying that the app is not of much use when a BB phone is stolen, but a lot of people on my side of the word are making a big hype of the app lol
    10-22-12 09:36 AM
    @raino
    i think so.
    10-22-12 09:37 AM
    @eve6er69
    But that's what im saying you cant, if they format it and remove the BB protect app from the phone all those things you mentioned don't work. i tested it.
    What it does is give you a chance to recover your phone. Or a the very least remote wipe it.
    10-22-12 09:42 AM
    @raino
    i think so.
    So if BB Protect is not exempt from a wipe, there goes most of its usefulness to me.
    10-22-12 09:55 AM
    @eve6er69
    lol im just saying that the app is not of much use when a BB phone is stolen, but a lot of people on my side of the word are making a big hype of the app lol
    I think its good to have but in all honesty I don't use it. Just going by what I hear.
    10-22-12 09:59 AM
    So if BB Protect is not exempt from a wipe, there goes most of its usefulness to me.
    BB Protect is mainly a backup service, your info remains in the cloud. You can restore that backup on any BlackBerry.

You can prevent the deletion of Protect like so:
    Attached Thumbnails What use is BlackBerry Protect?-edshot-20-mon-20oct-2022-202012-204.54.35-20pm-.jpg  
    10-22-12 10:59 AM
    The "common" thief is not likely to be a Blackberry geek. He(or she ) is looking for a quick way to make $40 bucks for another hit of Meth or crack. They won't spend a lot of time testing to see if the BB protect can be bypassed by swapping sims. The more sophisticated thief would be in a position to do something about it, but not in the 10 minutes (usually) after stealing it. Turning on the GPS location feature, Loud ringing feature, etc... can be a deterrent to the casual thief- who wants to be wandering around with a phone that can't be silenced past a Policeman who might just be looking around for a phone in the last reported area?

And you have to admit that BB does a better of job of creating apps that are of some "use" to it's owners than some other makers. If not, then RIM would be developing thousands of fart apps just to increase the number of apps available.
    10-22-12 11:48 AM
    I'm thinking BB Protect might be better if it could incorporate remote fart functionality. Has this been considered?

Also, there are more ways to lose a phone than having it stolen. BB Protect can help you find the phone when it's lost but not stolen. You might, for example, leave it in a restaurant, where it might not be discovered until cleanup time late at night. You could use BB Protect either to go and get it or to display a message to someone who might notice it and contact you.

That's not entirely useless.
    10-22-12 12:25 PM
    With Protect you can restore your sms, calendars, saved wifi networks, passwords, contacts and more to a new BB or after a wipe in 2 minutes, I fail to see how that is useless.
    10-22-12 12:42 PM
    Different strokes. I only care about it backing up my contacts, which I consider its core function.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk
    10-22-12 03:40 PM
    BB protect found my phone when it fell out of my pocket once. On another occasion I had to restore my phone. I am thankful for that
    10-22-12 03:50 PM
    I've misplaced my phone on more then one occasion and was damned happy to have BB protect, sure beats looking for it. The back up feature is also convenient as it's automatic, one less thing to have to fuss about. Yeah, I guess it would be nice to have a tazer feature so you could zap the bugger that swiped you're phone but I don't think that'll happen anytime soon
    10-22-12 05:45 PM
    I don't think one should look at BlackBerry Project as being a complete safeguard for getting your phone back of lost/stolen. If you do lose your phone, it can help recover it. Where it really comes in to play is being able to back up your information and wiping the device when you can't find it. Phones can always be replaced. A thief getting a hold of personal information can cause a lot more problems than trying to find and replace a mobile device.

Lock your device, and use a password. Have BlackBerry Protect back up your data. If you do lose your phone, try to find it as soon as possible. Wipe it if you can't find it. Once you replace it, you should be able to restore it to a new device. If your BB gets stolen, at least you can protect your data. If they are smart enough, they will enter the password ten times and cause it to get wiped.

If a thief really wants to steal your phone, they will find a way to make a profit from it. The big thing is to make sure they can't profit from the personal information stored on the device.
    10-22-12 07:02 PM