11-12-10 01:29 PM
37 12
tools
    First and foremost I would like to state that this is no way in any form a post to beat up or flame towards RIM. It is purely for gaining knowledge purposes.

So we have Blackberry... We all know which phones are out and what the competition (Android, iOS..) are currently producing. As I read countless articles and continue to see releases of new android devices that from a hardware perspective, blow RIM out of the water. Why hasn't RIM produced a phone with 1gig processor, or a 4.3inch screen. Or why can't we see a Blackberry phone that can record in HD? RIM seems to always put out phones that are sort of in the past. With the release of Blackberry 6, by all means was a good step towards the future and I like what RIM did with that, but still the 9800 only has 512mb and isn't that much of a powerhouse which still leads to even more questions...

At least from your guys' knowledge and the bright minds that I know are on this forum, can you guys give some insight not just for my knowledge but for everyone else who has probably wondered the same thing. Will we ever see a 1gig from Blackberry? If so, will that be by the time phones ever have 2gigs of processing power? Why can't RIM produce a phone that can compete with all of these other phones that are currently out right now? Could it be costs? Or maybe RIM just isn't that kind of company? Do you guys get where I am coming from? All I want is just some ideas and opinions on what you guys think as far as RIM and their future with phones and why you guys think RIM hasn't produce anything of the sort so far. I love my Blackberry no doubt about that, and I will always have sort of a pride for Blackberry but sometimes when I have my phone, and I see my friends with new android devices I feel like i'm left in the past. It's hard to stay so loyal to them when you see something as flashy and fancy as a 1gig processor with a big freakin' 4.3inch screen =/ and a market like Android's.

Thanks guys
    Last edited by darkxiao; 11-05-10 at 07:58 PM.
    11-05-10 07:54 PM
    1. Yes RIM will have more powerful phones in the future.

2. RIM will make them when they choose.

3. RIM does not feel the need to have current devices be power houses, processor, memory, etc.

RIM's basic thought with messaging power house, you do not need full blown speed. They concentrate on battery life, messaging, and being connected.

All this stuff your seeing on other devices is all extra. RIM focuses on the CORE.
    11-05-10 08:04 PM
    The great thing about Blackberries, they don't need 1GHz processors to be snappy. Throw a 1GHz processor into a bold 9700 or 9780 and you'll have a phone that performs just as well as it did with a 624MHz processor, and have half the battery life. I'm amazed at how snappy my 9700 is running BB6.

Once we start seeing QNX on Blackberry phones, and the OS requires more processing power, I think that's when we'll start seeing Blackberries that have equal or better specs than what Android phones currently offer.

Edit: Welcome to Crackberry!
    Last edited by Spiral_ouT; 11-05-10 at 08:15 PM.
    11-05-10 08:08 PM
    What's the purposed of having hardware like that? I think that people want to put in s 1 GB processor in a BlackBerry just to say that it has one. But it doesn't make sense to do that. Its not about the specs, its about user experience. I will repeat that, it is not about the specs, its about the user experience. My Bold 9000 is overall faster than any of the devices that I have had or experienced with a snapdragon, hummingbird, or omap processor.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-05-10 11:18 PM
    It will be interesting to see how much the hardware changes as QNX makes its way into the market.

11-05-10 11:23 PM
    and the end of the day... there's still a lot of people buying THE blackberry.
    it's variation makes it appealing to more consumers.. you want the STYLE.. i prefer the Torch... while she is waiting for the Bold 9780.
    and i agree with the above post about user experience > the specs..
    11-05-10 11:44 PM
    You have to remember, BlackBerries are not iPhones, and you'll hear this a lot on the forums: if you want a phone for business (ie: email, messaging, organizational features like calendar/tasks/memos) get a BlackBerry. If you want a phone for fun/play (ie: videos, flashy useless apps) get an iPhone. (Great example: the iPhone does not have a task app.)

Blackberry is, and always has been, mainly for the business consumer. It is only in the past couple of years that they have begun marketing to the regular consumer. You don't need HD & 1GB for emails/BIS/BBM. I've been an owner of both iPhone and Blackberry, and returned to Blackberry for it's organizational capabilities. (Calendar/tasks/memo run my life. I write down EVERYTHING, and a physical keyboard is much more efficient in this respect. The iPhone was fun to show my friends, but ultimately its apps served very little purpose in keeping me organized. It also didn't have a little red blinking light when I got messages!)

That being said, in 2002, I [the office worker] was the only one of my friends to have a BlackBerry. in 2010, only two of my friends do NOT have BlackBerries, and none of them have "business"-type jobs. BlackBerry has made it quite clear in the past year, and now more than ever, that they're shifting focus to the regular consumer, so these features will no doubt show up in the near future
    11-06-10 07:33 AM
    RIM i am sure is constantly improving. however, i have seen a lot of blackberry users move to android because the network email abilities are just as good now
    11-07-10 01:56 AM
    I have a feeling most would move to or get an extra device (not locked by servicebooks) to freely browse on WiFi without being stuck to a data plan, world-wide. That's why.

I might just get a used android or WM device in order to take advantage of wifi when roaming in another country when the time comes and the money becomes available.

11-07-10 06:06 AM
    I have a feeling most would move to or get an extra device (not locked by servicebooks) to freely browse on WiFi without being stuck to a data plan, world-wide. That's why.

I might just get a used android or WM device in order to take advantage of wifi when roaming in another country when the time comes and the money becomes available.

BB works with wifi when abroad, always has, I don't know why you think it doesn't.
    11-07-10 07:13 AM
    BB works with wifi when abroad, always has, I don't know why you think it doesn't.
    WiFi never worked in mexico, no access whatsoever, it said I needed a data plan and no servicebooks were available.

11-07-10 07:15 AM
    you have to connect to a cell network to get service books, then you can go strictly wifi after than basically. Getting the service books onto the phone is the key
    11-07-10 07:25 AM
    you have to connect to a cell network to get service books, then you can go strictly wifi after than basically. Getting the service books onto the phone is the key
    I did even with the data services enabled, the carrier just never sent the darn service books even when I manually instructed it to via the device. Glad I'm back in canada. Lol

11-07-10 07:30 AM
    I am due for replacement of a Storm 2 and was about ready to go the Droid Pro route but I am sticking with BB. I am a business user first and rely on email and calendar which BB is tops at. But, I do enjoy exploring apps and using the internet from my Storm. Just wish it had a little more spring in its step and that I could get a physical keyboard with a decent sized screen. I would be content if Verizon offered the Torch.
    11-07-10 07:32 AM
    WiFi never worked in mexico, no access whatsoever, it said I needed a data plan and no servicebooks were available.

you are the first person I've heard this from, I've been in areas with Zero Cell coverage, and still able to use my BB over wifi,

mind you never in Mexico, but the country you are using wifi in shouldn't matter as Wifi is a standard.
    11-07-10 08:29 AM
    With a 1 gig processor most definitely comes a loss of battery life and a much hotter running phone if using constantly. RIMs os does not need that much power to run efficiently therefore they focus on keeping the battery life up. Android is a much larger os and requires more umph as I call it to lug around.
    11-07-10 08:02 PM
    I think something that is funny is how a lot of my friends have currently been switching to android phones and enjoying their experience except for the lack of battery life. just a little thought i would like to point out. I still stick to my blackberry just because it helps me with productivity stuff (calendar, memopad, email). Sure its not the most fancy phone but it gets what I need to get done, and I'm happy about that. I think thats how most if not all blackberry users feel.
    11-07-10 08:43 PM
    i can't help but point out that in Q3 numbers just released by NPD, a source that RIM has in the past chosen to reflect their dominance, that RIM has dropped nearly 50% of their userbase in the last year. Android becomes #1 smartphone OS, Q3 numbers 1,309% higher than last year – Android and Me iphone is dropping, and android is obliterating everything. so at this point in the game saying "rim will make things when rim wants to" , well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but i'd say if RIM released a 1ghz phone tomorrow they'd still be up s***creek. i don't think there's any saving them at this point, dell, bank of america, chase, citibank, they're all dropping RIM as a platform and going to android and iOS. RIM could maybe survive losing the consumer market, but now they're losing the business at rapid increases. it's just not looking good for this company. at the end of the day, blackberry users say what this guy above me just said 'well my blackberry does what i need it to do and i like that' well my android phone does too, and it costs the exact same amount to own and my plan as your blackberry does, so if they're the same price, why would you not pick the phone that does the most? or at least has the larger development community?
    11-07-10 11:17 PM
    What's the purposed of having hardware like that? I think that people want to put in s 1 GB processor in a BlackBerry just to say that it has one. But it doesn't make sense to do that. Its not about the specs, its about user experience. I will repeat that, it is not about the specs, its about the user experience. My Bold 9000 is overall faster than any of the devices that I have had or experienced with a snapdragon, hummingbird, or omap processor.

lol, well i have my 9000 here, and i have my nexus one here, the 9000 does exactly nothing faster, it boots slower, loads apps slower, browses the web slower, types slower, multitasks slower, come on man, that's just total nonsense. you either haven't ever used a 1ghz snapdragon ...
    11-07-10 11:22 PM
    ....and it costs the exact same amount to own and my plan as your blackberry does, so if they're the same price, why would you not pick the phone that does the most? or at least has the larger development community?
    ...because my employer wants me to use the benefits of the phone for work, not for playing video games and social networking on company time.
    FWIW, I do agree with some of your comments. My neighbour works at RIM and told me about the surge of Android OS phones well over a year ago. They knew it was coming.
    11-07-10 11:36 PM
    i can't help but point out that in Q3 numbers just released by NPD, a source that RIM has in the past chosen to reflect their dominance, that RIM has dropped nearly 50% of their userbase in the last year. iphone is dropping, and android is obliterating everything. so at this point in the game saying "rim will make things when rim wants to" , well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but i'd say if RIM released a 1ghz phone tomorrow they'd still be up s***creek. i don't think there's any saving them at this point, dell, bank of america, chase, citibank, they're all dropping RIM as a platform and going to android and iOS. RIM could maybe survive losing the consumer market, but now they're losing the business at rapid increases. i
    Quoted for the truth.

It's one thing, when individuals pick up or use a cellphone for their own purposes, it's another when companies switch over. If it would be all based on single customers, BB is still a major hit, especially outside USA.
    Unfortunately the global corporate take over and their business alliances and favoritism effects in a much broader scale then individuals and their preferred taste.
    We are living in a corporate dictatorship world, where regular every day people have no input into what the company likes or doesn't like. Of course, companies are controlled by people, the only difference is, that companies aren't run as democracies, but more like dictatorships. This of course, not only true for phones in particular, but pretty much everything, even your own government legislation.

p.s. I had to remove her url, because I'm still under 10 posts and otherwise I couldn't reply.
    11-07-10 11:47 PM
    i don't think there's any saving them at this point, dell, bank of america, chase, citibank, they're all dropping RIM as a platform and going to android and iOS.

First off, Dell is dropping RIM and going WM7, not Android or iOS. And they are doing it because they are about to enter the smartphone market with their own WM7 phone. They want their employees to use their phones.

And the reports about the banks all talk about them evaluating the platforms. Well, no s**t, every IT department will be constantly evaluating platforms. It's part of what we do. And we do it for 2 reasons. One is to make sure we're not missing on essential technologies. And second is that when non-technical folks ask us why we're not supporting such and such tech, we can give an intelligent answer.
    11-08-10 07:05 AM
    i can't help but point out that in Q3 numbers just released by NPD, a source that RIM has in the past chosen to reflect their dominance, that RIM has dropped nearly 50% of their userbase in the last year. ..
    I have one small suggestion - If you are going to quote someone, try to quote them correctly.

I think their point is that RIM's percentage of Smartphone sales has declined, but you have to take into account that total sales has increased exponentially. More and more people are switching to Smartphones so it is impossible that anyone would retain their position for long. I don't think RIM is hurting just yet ... Let's see revenue is up, earnings are up, 45% growth in smarthpone sales. That must really be hurting.

RIM 2nd Qtr (Sept 2010) Highlights:
    Revenue grew 31% over the same quarter last year to $4.62 billion
    Earnings per share in the second quarter increased 76% to $1.46 over the second quarter last year1
    BlackBerry smartphone shipments grew more than 45% over the same quarter last year to 12.1 million and RIM has shipped approximately 115 million BlackBerry smartphones to date
    BlackBerry subscriber account base grew approximately 56% over the prior year to over 50 million
    11-11-10 10:10 AM
    RIM are like Nintendo, they do their own thing, have been successful and really dont want to change for the sake of change, I personally prefer BB's because of the reliability and I think RIM knows most of BB owners are like this and thats all they care about, they just want their email right there, text fast and maybe just maybe get on the web once in awhile, thats what I think at least.
    11-11-10 10:54 AM
    i can't help but point out that in Q3 numbers just released by NPD, a source that RIM has in the past chosen to reflect their dominance, that RIM has dropped nearly 50% of their userbase in the last year. Android becomes #1 smartphone OS, Q3 numbers 1,309% higher than last year Android and Me iphone is dropping, and android is obliterating everything. so at this point in the game saying "rim will make things when rim wants to" , well you are certainly entitled to your opinion, but i'd say if RIM released a 1ghz phone tomorrow they'd still be up s***creek. i don't think there's any saving them at this point, dell, bank of america, chase, citibank, they're all dropping RIM as a platform and going to android and iOS. RIM could maybe survive losing the consumer market, but now they're losing the business at rapid increases. it's just not looking good for this company. at the end of the day, blackberry users say what this guy above me just said 'well my blackberry does what i need it to do and i like that' well my android phone does too, and it costs the exact same amount to own and my plan as your blackberry does, so if they're the same price, why would you not pick the phone that does the most? or at least has the larger development community?
    NO where does anything say RIM lost 50% of it's user base,

Those numbers reflect growth Patterns on sales, RIM has lost 50% of its Market share growth, NOT lost 50% of it's user base, as RIM is still growing it's user base steadily, just it's percentage of the Market is not as large, Android is doing awesome at coming in and filling the Market growth with it's phone the fact that both RIM and Apple shipped more phones this past quarter than they did the same time last year shows how fast the market has grown.

ALSO this is a PURELY US numbers statistic.

Thanks for returning with your miss information.
    11-11-10 03:37 PM
37 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD