I am fairly new hear, I have been a blackberry user for a little over a year. I am excited for the new QNX phones, I think the playbook sale was to promote there new line of phones, and the playbook 2..

In My opinion, if RIM wants to remain in a contending spot they need to make two phones. They need to rename the torch, and have it as touch screen only, and continue with the Bold line, as it is a sharp and comfortable phone to use.. No more curves etc etc.....

They also have to make some nice new catchy commercials, and re invent there marketing, I noticed the marketing wasnt quite there when I was in Walmart, the other day.. Make people want to approach the blackberry booth!!!

Make people understand what this QNX is!!! Have a commercial bragging, that it powers the web, powers fighter planes, powers vehicles.

I am loyal, and want them to do well, That, In my opinion is what they need to do....
    Last edited by Tank1978; 11-30-11 at 11:19 AM. Reason: spelling
    zgods1 likes this.
    11-22-11 09:33 PM
    I completely disagree

For the Future of RIM what they Need to do is
    Create a NEW Brand around the BBX All touchscreen phone, something sharp something that they can build a market around
    Bring BBX to the QWERTY on a BOLD new BOLD, be exciting like the 9000 was to the BlackBerry family and
    Keep making the Curve Family, and I mean a FAMILY of Curves, these mid to low cost devices are what drives Enterprise fleet sales, as well as what drives growing markets that RIM still had a major stake in, more potential for growth with the mid range family.

RIM needs to create Value added reasons for Enterprises to upgrade and Keep BES, and IMO what requires them to include MVS into ALL BES, and maximize the VoiP abilities, as well as the remote extension functionality, the Carriers might get upset at the loss of landline revenue, but there will be growth in data usage, and wireless usage to compensate for that loss. AND will further Entrench BlackBerry's into the Enterprise culture.

RIM needs to create a series of youtube advertisements showing off features, and how to use things, 30s spots on TV are great for simplicity, but it is the depth that makes BlackBerry's amazing, and being able to share your youtube video via email, text, bbm helps get the word out,

RIM has been addressing their developer support issues, Alec Saunders seems to be the man and seems to be doing a very good job, more key players like him could really make RIM sparkle.
    Clinto likes this.
    11-22-11 09:44 PM
    I am fairly new year, I have been a blackberry user for a little over a year. I am excited for the new QNX phones, I think the playbook sale was to promote there new line of phones, and the playbook 2..

In My oponion, if RIM wants to remain in a contending spot they need, to make two phones. They need to rename the torch, and have it as touch screen only, and continue with the Bold line, as it is a sharp and comfortable phone to use.. No more curves etc etc.....

They also have to make some nice new catchy commercials, and re invent there marketing, I noticed the marketing wasnt quite there when I was in Walmart, the other day.. Make people want to approach the blackberry booth!!!

Make people understand what this QNX is!!! Have a commercial bragging, that it powers the web, powers fighter planes, powers vehicles.

I am loyal, and want them to do well, That, In my opinion is what they need to do....
    The PB sale wasn't to promote PB 2 or new phones, it's because the Fire and Nook were introduced at such low prices at the same form factor if not the same specs.

RIM doesn't make that many devices so reducing their number to two won't help.

Catchy commercials aren't going to help you if the competition also has catchy commercials. Contrary to popular belief, iPads sell because they're actually damn good devices, not because they're shiny and slick. If shiny and slick were the only criteria for sales, Sony would be at the top of the heap in all categories.

Consumers don't care about QNX. That won't mean anything to them. Nor will the fact that it powers fighter planes, etc... They care about devices that are easy to understand and don't require you to jump through hoops to use. This is why the PB never caught on with the masses. It's aimed at BB users not Joe consumer.
    11-22-11 09:52 PM
    I think that you are spot on, I don't think it could be said any better than how you put it.!
    11-22-11 09:54 PM
    I completely disagree

For the Future of RIM what they Need to do is
    Create a NEW Brand around the BBX All touchscreen phone, something sharp something that they can build a market around
    Bring BBX to the QWERTY on a BOLD new BOLD, be exciting like the 9000 was to the BlackBerry family and
    Keep making the Curve Family, and I mean a FAMILY of Curves, these mid to low cost devices are what drives Enterprise fleet sales, as well as what drives growing markets that RIM still had a major stake in, more potential for growth with the mid range family.

RIM needs to create Value added reasons for Enterprises to upgrade and Keep BES, and IMO what requires them to include MVS into ALL BES, and maximize the VoiP abilities, as well as the remote extension functionality, the Carriers might get upset at the loss of landline revenue, but there will be growth in data usage, and wireless usage to compensate for that loss. AND will further Entrench BlackBerry's into the Enterprise culture.

RIM needs to create a series of youtube advertisements showing off features, and how to use things, 30s spots on TV are great for simplicity, but it is the depth that makes BlackBerry's amazing, and being able to share your youtube video via email, text, bbm helps get the word out,

RIM has been addressing their developer support issues, Alec Saunders seems to be the man and seems to be doing a very good job, more key players like him could really make RIM sparkle.
    I mostly agree with you.

They just need to cut the crap and stick to the best. No need for a normal Curve, we have the Bold, no need for the touchscreen Curve, we already have the Torch. They need to keep it down to 4 simple styles. You mentioned that the Curve series should stay, and I disagree. I find the Curve series to negatively affect the experience. My experience with the Curve 8530 was subpar because of the slow processor and the terrible screen resolution. In my opinion, the Bold 9790 should be classified as the low cost smartphone.

1. Bold 9900 style
    2. Bold 9700 style (with different name differentiating it from the previous and aimed as a low cost alternative to the 9900)
    3. Torch 9800 style with full keyboard
    4. All touch Torch (with different name to get rid of confusion with it's keyboarded brother)

If they're completely different they shouldn't share a similar name.

Next they need to adapt their software to the current standards. RIM has made plenty of applications, but none of them really stand out. Apps like BB Traffic, BB Travel, BB Wallet, etc. come to mind. They're all simple and lacking. They should all receive a facelift before the release of BBX.

Another main selling point for RIM is BlackBerry Messenger, which could take some good advice from iMessage. Get rid of PINs and usernames and all of that excess confusion. Stick to phone numbers. Every smartphone already has one number differentiating it from the rest, so why add another?

The next step would be completely scrapping and rebuilding their marketing technique. I'm not going to say what kind of ads they should make or how they should make themselves seem better than everyone else, but the marketing technique they have right now obviously isn't working.

And the very last thing is to stay on schedule. Time and time again their deadlines are missed, which gives competitors just enough time to one up them before the product is even released (PlayBook comes to mind). They shouldn't announce it until it's almost completely ready to be mass produced and distributed. If they aren't able to meet deadlines and produce finished products then they need to change their priorities.

To sum it all up:

They need to erase the past, cut back and keep it simple.

/rant
    11-22-11 11:32 PM
    The Curve sells well for RIM outside NA where their sales are still strong. Focusing just on what the NA/EU market wants gets RIM out of markets where they are actually doing very well. RIM need a hi/lo mix of phones for their various markets. The problem is their high end phones have not been compelling to users other than those who love the BB platform.

Sent using Tapatalk
    Last edited by NotJustAPhone; 11-22-11 at 11:57 PM.
    11-22-11 11:52 PM
    I think RIM should create a new form factor for bbx. Something never before seen.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-23-11 02:04 AM
    What Rim needs to do is ignore people that think they know what Rim needs to do

john_v and TgeekB like this.
    11-23-11 03:53 AM
    I am fairly new year, I have been a blackberry user for a little over a year. I am excited for the new QNX phones, I think the playbook sale was to promote there new line of phones, and the playbook 2..
    Lol at u saying playbook 2, they still haven't gotten then first one right.

11-23-11 04:29 AM

except for me!

they should listen to me, pay me a consulting fee I'll move into waterloo for 6 months and shake things up!
    11-23-11 08:53 AM
    I mostly agree with you.

They just need to cut the crap and stick to the best. No need for a normal Curve, we have the Bold, no need for the touchscreen Curve, we already have the Torch. They need to keep it down to 4 simple styles. You mentioned that the Curve series should stay, and I disagree. I find the Curve series to negatively affect the experience. My experience with the Curve 8530 was subpar because of the slow processor and the terrible screen resolution. In my opinion, the Bold 9790 should be classified as the low cost smartphone.

1. Bold 9900 style
    2. Bold 9700 style (with different name differentiating it from the previous and aimed as a low cost alternative to the 9900)
    3. Torch 9800 style with full keyboard
    4. All touch Torch (with different name to get rid of confusion with it's keyboarded brother)

If they're completely different they shouldn't share a similar name.

Next they need to adapt their software to the current standards. RIM has made plenty of applications, but none of them really stand out. Apps like BB Traffic, BB Travel, BB Wallet, etc. come to mind. They're all simple and lacking. They should all receive a facelift before the release of BBX.

Another main selling point for RIM is BlackBerry Messenger, which could take some good advice from iMessage. Get rid of PINs and usernames and all of that excess confusion. Stick to phone numbers. Every smartphone already has one number differentiating it from the rest, so why add another?

The next step would be completely scrapping and rebuilding their marketing technique. I'm not going to say what kind of ads they should make or how they should make themselves seem better than everyone else, but the marketing technique they have right now obviously isn't working.

And the very last thing is to stay on schedule. Time and time again their deadlines are missed, which gives competitors just enough time to one up them before the product is even released (PlayBook comes to mind). They shouldn't announce it until it's almost completely ready to be mass produced and distributed. If they aren't able to meet deadlines and produce finished products then they need to change their priorities.

To sum it all up:

They need to erase the past, cut back and keep it simple.

/rant
    Sounds like you are a USA user who buys phones on contract, the Curve line is their best selling line, and has been since the 83XX series, to scrap your number 1 would just be suicide, you MUST cater to the lower markets, the vast majority of Androids global success is in the mid / low range, not their top tier phones,

I could write a FULL article on WHY to keep PIN messages and not have phone numbers, I wont go into it, but I am a firm HATER of iMessage's idea of IM, I don't like SMS, and as a person with 13 phone numbers to reach me, blind swapping of my active BlackBerry BBM to other phones is beautiful, I'd rather the live profile method over the phone number method,
    11-23-11 08:58 AM

I may not know what RIM needs to do, but I know what CrackBerry needs to do...make a subforum or sticky thread for all the Arm-chair CEO's, kind of like the sticky thread for "All those leaving or switching"

No offense to the OP, but these types of threads are starting to overtake the "I'm switching to iOS, Android" etc threads
    11-23-11 09:02 AM
    I may not know what RIM needs to do, but I know what CrackBerry needs to do...make a subforum or sticky thread for all the Arm-chair CEO's, kind of like the sticky thread for "All those leaving or switching"

No offense to the OP, but these types of threads are starting to overtake the "I'm switching to iOS, Android" etc threads
    I would fill that forum, I think I actually have 2-4 posts that specifically state Arm Chair CEO in the title
    11-23-11 09:06 AM
    I would fill that forum, I think I actually have 2-4 posts that specifically state Arm Chair CEO in the title
    And actually yours tend to make a lot of sense... but most are starting to get old or just regurgitate other threads
    11-23-11 09:09 AM
    I mostly agree with you.

I am extremely picky about who gets my PIN for my BB and I sure as heck don't want to be flashing my phone number around for people to iMessage me. The PIN is one thing BB does have going for it. It is anonymous. If you don't like who has your PIN, get another phone. Problem solved. If someone gets your number that you don't want them to have, your only options are to block that person or get a new phone number. I've had the same cell # now going on 14 years and I don't want to have to give it up. Blocking someone from calling off one specific number is one thing, but there are other cell phones, landlines and pay phones they could use.
    11-23-11 10:19 AM
    I am extremely picky about who gets my PIN for my BB and I sure as heck don't want to be flashing my phone number around for people to iMessage me. The PIN is one thing BB does have going for it. It is anonymous. If you don't like who has your PIN, get another phone. Problem solved. If someone gets your number that you don't want them to have, your only options are to block that person or get a new phone number. I've had the same cell # now going on 14 years and I don't want to have to give it up. Blocking someone from calling off one specific number is one thing, but there are other cell phones, landlines and pay phones they could use.
    +1 and also Pins can be easily blocked in BBM or your blackberry's firewall.

11-23-11 10:26 AM
    +1 and also Pins can be easily blocked in BBM or your blackberry's firewall.

And before someone counters about blocking PINs and well, the jackass can just get another PIN and use the PIN he had....

I'm talking to Patrick Marleau via BBM (Oooh, do I wish ). He turns out to be a jackass. I delete and block Patrick Marleau from BBM. Patrick Marleau then gets another phone and adds me again to BBM. He's still a jackass and I delete and block him again, but to make it stick, I get a new phone. Now Patrick Marleau can no longer find me.

Patrick Marleau iMessages me. He's still an asshat. Can't stand him. He's got my phone number. Oh crap. Now what? I block his number, but he gets Joe Thornton's cell phone and starts harassing me. Then he moves on to Todd McLellan's phone. Then he gets Doug Wilson's phone and finally, Antti Niemi's phone. I'm screwed unless I get a new phone number.

I love BBM because like BFD said, it's anonymous.
    11-23-11 10:40 AM
    And before someone counters about blocking PINs and well, the jackass can just get another PIN and use the PIN he had....

I'm talking to Patrick Marleau via BBM (Oooh, do I wish ). He turns out to be a jackass. I delete and block Patrick Marleau from BBM. Patrick Marleau then gets another phone and adds me again to BBM. He's still a jackass and I delete and block him again, but to make it stick, I get a new phone. Now Patrick Marleau can no longer find me.

Patrick Marleau iMessages me. He's still an asshat. Can't stand him. He's got my phone number. Oh crap. Now what? I block his number, but he gets Joe Thornton's cell phone and starts harassing me. Then he moves on to Todd McLellan's phone. Then he gets Doug Wilson's phone and finally, Antti Niemi's phone. I'm screwed unless I get a new phone number.

I love BBM because like BFD said, it's anonymous.
    to add to that

Patrick is an asshat and you blocked his number, he starts CALLING you from other numbers asking why you blocked him

a PIN means 2 ways of communication P2P or BBM, no other means, no giving hints as to ones home location via area code, no sms that can incure tremendous charges when traveling, I have some people on BBM who always want to CALL, and send voice notes and want to talk with voice notes or PlayBook video Chat, they just want to talk talk talk, and without my phone number I can keep it to text text text. on my time
    11-23-11 02:59 PM
    New/better marketing.

Less delays and broken promises.

War Is All We Know
    11-23-11 06:50 PM
    Lol at u saying playbook 2, they still haven't gotten then first one right.

And apple did not get the first ipad right either... No camera or video!!!!!!!!!!
    12-10-11 11:24 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD