I'm happy with my passport. But hypothetically if I were to buy a new phone, what is a good choice? I don't play games but I read ebooks regularly. I also check emails, make calls, do quick Web searches if needed. I don't do selfies and rarely take videos or pictures. I'm satisfied with the video and picture quality of the passport.

Some phones I'm looking at:

Mercury - keyboard, hub, security. But at $500+ for sure, it will be pricey.

Lumia 640xl - decent security and specs, $150 or less. But the candy appearance of those tiles is too colorful. I don't think kindle works on it! That is bad for me. My last windows phone was terrible at ereading and was a mess with music organization and photos. But the price is good for me.

Nokia 8 - upcoming, will be about $250. Good price, great camera, solid specs, nougat too. I like the aura of this phone and it will be much cheaper than mercury. Awesome for ebooks. I'd love to support Nokia.

Iphone8 - $1000+. God no. Bloody crazy. But my wife wants it, so I may end up buying it and inheriting her 6s+ involuntarily.

Blu R1 - cheap *** $60 phone from amazon. Good for international use. Maybe not a secure phone, but I could donate it to my mother in law as an upgrade for her.

Samsung folding phone? - rumors abound of a foldable phone by end of 2017. I'd imagine the screen should be nearly break-proof. That is attractive.

Yotaphone 2 - out of date phone totally, but the dual screen, one an e-ink screen, is a cool gimmick...

TCL blackberry phone - I want to see what is coming out. Aside from mercury, I haven't heard of anything concrete for the americas...

Any other cool phones you guys might suggest?

The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.
    01-13-17 03:20 PM
    Batphone, naturally.

What should be my next phone?-batmobiphonemovie2.jpg
    01-13-17 04:12 PM
    Huawei Mate 9, it has a nice large 5.9inch Display and huge 4000mAh battery, would be perfect for someone who reads a lot on their phone:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_9-8073.php

Google Pixel XL, the ultimate stock Android experience, with a nice 5.5inch 2K AMOLED Display, 3450mAh battery and a super fast and smooth Android experience with immediate updates:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_xl-8345.php

LG V20, a great phablet with 2K 5.7inch Display and secondary 2.1inch always on display that operates as a notification bar, great all metal build quality PLUS a Removable 3200mAh Battery, near stock Android UI and IR Blaster:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php

OnePlus 3T, probably the best value for money phone, 6GB RAM, 5.5inch Display, 3400mAh battery and a nice UI that is mostly stock with little additions and all metal build:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_3t-8416.php

If you don't mind Samsung

The Galaxy S8 is nearby

But there is also the Galaxy S7 Edge, with Curved 5.5inch 2K SuperAMOLED Display, IP68 Water and Dust Resistance, 3600mAh battery and Grace UI in its new Nougat update that is feature packed
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-7945.php

These are all great devices, but not all suit everyone, you need to try them or at least watch as many reviews as possible.
    01-13-17 04:23 PM
    Curious as to why the priv isn't on that list. It's a good phone with a pkb.
    01-13-17 06:22 PM
    Good options, all. I've heard of them and know about the good reviews. The mate 9 is coming to America, could be a good choice. I'm not a big fan of android though. I prefer the forked version on the amazon fire phone but that is old and stuck on a less than android 5 equivalence.

Priv is older now and doesn't represent a big enough upgrade over my passport for me. I might check it out if I found one dirt dirt cheap, otherwise if I'm going with android keyboard, I might as well go with mercury.

01-13-17 09:37 PM
    It seems like you're not an app person so I say ride your Passport until the keys fall off.
    01-13-17 09:39 PM
    Curious as to why the priv isn't on that list. It's a good phone with a pkb.
    It's outdated, even for its time it was outgunned by the likes of Note5, LG V10, Huawei Mate 8 and XPERIA Z5 Premium.
    01-14-17 06:15 AM
    Why would anyone ask on BlackBerry forum what their next phone they should be. Akin to walking into a Honda car dealership, asking what their next vehicle should and the Salesman recommending a Ford!!!!

Posted via CB10
    01-14-17 11:03 AM
    While we are being hypothetical, there will probably be more options than currently exist once you decide to jump to another device. If you are happy with your Passport then enjoy it while you can. Spend your energy improving your life in other areas than fantasizing what new phone might want to buy.
    01-14-17 11:07 AM
    Batphone, naturally.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	batmobiphonemovie2.jpg 
Views:	273 
Size:	63.7 KB 
ID:	415781
    I want one!!!!!

Posted via CB10
    Avenzuno likes this.
    01-14-17 11:14 AM
    Windows Phone has a Kindle app but I don't know when it was last updated.

It's outdated, even for its time it was outgunned by the likes of Note5, LG V10, Huawei Mate 8 and XPERIA Z5 Premium.
    The Priv wasn't outdated at launch, you can argue that build quality wasn't great but under the hood it was a flagship device (it had a Snapdragon 808, same as the V10). The 810 has known heating issues that affected performance so a device with the 808 (Priv, V10) might be preferable to a device using the 810 (Z5).

Qualcomm’s Snapdragon 808 doesn’t get so hot under the collar | Ars Technica

The Note 5 and Mate 8 use different chips so I don't know how well they compare.
    01-14-17 11:53 AM
    Huawei Mate 9, it has a nice large 5.9inch Display and huge 4000mAh battery, would be perfect for someone who reads a lot on their phone:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/huawei_mate_9-8073.php

Google Pixel XL, the ultimate stock Android experience, with a nice 5.5inch 2K AMOLED Display, 3450mAh battery and a super fast and smooth Android experience with immediate updates:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/google_pixel_xl-8345.php

LG V20, a great phablet with 2K 5.7inch Display and secondary 2.1inch always on display that operates as a notification bar, great all metal build quality PLUS a Removable 3200mAh Battery, near stock Android UI and IR Blaster:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/lg_v20-8238.php

OnePlus 3T, probably the best value for money phone, 6GB RAM, 5.5inch Display, 3400mAh battery and a nice UI that is mostly stock with little additions and all metal build:
    http://www.gsmarena.com/oneplus_3t-8416.php

If you don't mind Samsung

The Galaxy S8 is nearby

But there is also the Galaxy S7 Edge, with Curved 5.5inch 2K SuperAMOLED Display, IP68 Water and Dust Resistance, 3600mAh battery and Grace UI in its new Nougat update that is feature packed
    http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s7_edge-7945.php

These are all great devices, but not all suit everyone, you need to try them or at least watch as many reviews as possible.
    Hey look who showed up, right on queue!

OP...welcome to the Crackberry cellphone kiosk, with special host, salesperson Tsepz_GP!
    01-14-17 08:56 PM
    Well, I'm good with my passport-9930 combo for now. But hypothetically, if I were to buy a new phone, I think I'll lean towards something with a physical keyboard. I wonder if Nokia would dare to make one, otherwise the mercury looks like the ONLY one from anyone, anywhere, anytime remotely soon.

I'd prefer a phone about the size of a bold, too. But such phones now are rare unless they are utter budget phones or basic feature phones.

01-15-17 02:55 PM
    Pixel XL.

I'm still waiting for the 128gb XL to be available on the Google Store.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    01-16-17 12:23 AM
    Nokia 8 - upcoming, will be about $250. Good price, great camera, solid specs, nougat too. I like the aura of this phone and it will be much cheaper than mercury. Awesome for ebooks. I'd love to support Nokia. .
    Where did you read and how could you think that Nokia 8 - rumored to be a flagship - to be priced at $250? That one will be around the same price as other flagships at ~650. The one rumored to be priced at $250 is the Nokia 6, supposed to be mid-range.
    01-16-17 10:09 AM
    I'm happy with my passport. But hypothetically if I were to buy a new phone, what is a good choice? I don't play games but I read ebooks regularly. I also check emails, make calls, do quick Web searches if needed. I don't do selfies and rarely take videos or pictures. I'm satisfied with the video and picture quality of the passport.

Some phones I'm looking at:

Mercury - keyboard, hub, security. But at $500+ for sure, it will be pricey.

Lumia 640xl - decent security and specs, $150 or less. But the candy appearance of those tiles is too colorful. I don't think kindle works on it! That is bad for me. My last windows phone was terrible at ereading and was a mess with music organization and photos. But the price is good for me.

Nokia 8 - upcoming, will be about $250. Good price, great camera, solid specs, nougat too. I like the aura of this phone and it will be much cheaper than mercury. Awesome for ebooks. I'd love to support Nokia.

Iphone8 - $1000+. God no. Bloody crazy. But my wife wants it, so I may end up buying it and inheriting her 6s+ involuntarily.

Blu R1 - cheap *** $60 phone from amazon. Good for international use. Maybe not a secure phone, but I could donate it to my mother in law as an upgrade for her.

Samsung folding phone? - rumors abound of a foldable phone by end of 2017. I'd imagine the screen should be nearly break-proof. That is attractive.

Yotaphone 2 - out of date phone totally, but the dual screen, one an e-ink screen, is a cool gimmick...

TCL blackberry phone - I want to see what is coming out. Aside from mercury, I haven't heard of anything concrete for the americas...

Any other cool phones you guys might suggest?

Mercury + Priv. Can't go wrong with those. I would wait for Mercury information, but the Priv, while not new, has had most of it's kinks worked out since.
    DTEK50 and DTEK60. The DTEK60 isn't bad at all and neither is the 50. I'd go for reviews. The BB Android experience is one I find I enjoy the most.

Lumia 640 XL. I would avoid Windows 10 Mobile for now. It tends towards the less-reliable side of the spectrum and any discount likely isn't worth it unless we're talking pocket change. It is secure and you can change up the homescreen as you like but still, I don't think it's daily driver material.

Nokia 8. I don't know anything about it and would wait for reviews. I'm not a fan of it's design and would prefer something like the 640 XL instead design-wise.

iPhone 8. Can't judge a phone that doesn't exist yet but iPhones do tend towards being pricey and generally quality but Apple makes a very compelling experience for many people. Will hold value much better than its contemporaries.

Blu R1. Oh dear don't get it for security, get it because it's cheap. I would go for other phones before this one though, especially in light of that spyware issue.

Samsung folding phone. Can't judge this either, it'll be like me talking about the Surface Phone.

Yotaphone 2. I'd try it as a secondary device but eh, if the price is right...

Google Pixel and Pixel XL. Uninspired design, pricey and an iPhone may be a better long-term bet but it is still a solid Google phone that can be enjoyed.

HP Elite X3. Top-of-the-line Windows Phone with some cool features like Continuum and other bells-and-whistles but falls victim to the OS's shortcomings.

Galaxy S7. No opinion, great choice for normal people. I also hear good things about OnePlus.
    01-16-17 10:33 AM
    Pixel XL.

I'm still waiting for the 128gb XL to be available on the Google Store.
    Seems there's a lot of demand for it.

The results produced by its Camera and S7 Edge Camera are simply stunning, so effortless at taking highly detailed images.
    cribble2k likes this.
    01-16-17 01:22 PM
    To the OP, it depends upon your budget and time frame. For me, since I do have an actual urgent need, I am looking at the Moto G4. But I'm looking for a way to use my Bold 9930 while I wait for Mercury, which I hope will be available for Verizon as the Classic once was.

For the OP. Mercury might be best if the PKB were important. If photos and OS & security updates are a priority, the go with the Pixel. If you want to be able to change or add fonts to the system, then a Samsung Galaxy 7/8 would be the way to go. If you want a nice piece-of-mind phone where everything just works well, then get an Apple iPhone 7s/8. Thus, it depends upon your budget, needs, priorities and time you are looking to replace your Passport.
    01-16-17 02:09 PM
    My budget is unlimited, but so is my patience. I will gladly use my passport and bold 9930 for a LONG time until I see a phone truly worthy of succeeding them. I don't want to buy a phone just because it has the latest hot specs.

I think I'll avoid samsung. Now that the CEO has a warrant out for his arrest, things look dreadful for samsung.

01-16-17 07:53 PM
    If you are talking about the W2017, people are anticipating it will cost a few thousand bucks.
    And the old W2016 never left the Asian market. Sorry

Posted via CB10
    01-16-17 09:06 PM
    No I'm not. I'm talking about a phone that BENDS. Imagine taking your glass slab phone and literally folding it in half like a newspaper. Not talking about that deluxe flip phone, although I know what you're referring to.

Anyway, the bendable phone will probably be pricey, too. No word yet on any potential street date. It's just vaporware for now...

01-16-17 10:51 PM
    No I'm not. I'm talking about a phone that BENDS. Imagine taking your glass slab phone and literally folding it in half like a newspaper. Not talking about that deluxe flip phone, although I know what you're referring to.

Anyway, the bendable phone will probably be pricey, too. No word yet on any potential street date. It's just vaporware for now...

You might want to avoid the foldable phone, as the CEO of the company that makes those screens has a warrant out for his arrest, lol.
    01-16-17 11:16 PM
    Samsung is in trouble, but LG and windows are also coming out with bendable phones. I wouldn't buy one this year, but if these companies can perfect this tech, it'll be a game-changer in a year or two.

Imagine, a 5g phone with 6gb ram, some snapdragon 850 chip that unfolds to become a fully functional tablet...

01-17-17 01:23 AM
    Samsung is in trouble, but LG and windows are also coming out with bendable phones. I wouldn't buy one this year, but if these companies can perfect this tech, it'll be a game-changer in a year or two.

Imagine, a 5g phone with 6gb ram, some snapdragon 850 chip that unfolds to become a fully functional tablet...

Samsungs CEO is in trouble, not Samsung.
    01-17-17 12:52 PM
    Woah!!! Changed my mind. Take a look at the Nokia xpressmusic NX. It has a physical keyboard and the concept art looks.... wow... better than mercury...!

Attachment 416031
    01-18-17 12:13 PM
31 12