I am going to convert my entire iTunes library into a file format compatible with the Blackberry Bold (as I have found I cannot not synch with it, get it to play .m4a files, or get it to play apple DRM protected files from iTunes Store)

I am looking for nex best format. Highest quality, with OK compression. What do you guys use or recommend? Only have 1 go at this so want to get it right 1st time.. thanks

Tunebite gives me options to use:
    M4A, MP3, OGG, WAV, WMA, WMA PRO
    and within this file types are options for various quality/compression, e.g. for MP3 there is 128, 192, 256, VBR 128-192, Keep as Original

Thanks!
    11-09-08 07:14 PM
    Thought I would post my own follow-up. So after some more research, Blackberry Bold can play .m4a files that are encoded in .AAC, but not Apple Lossless (both types of encoding share same extention).. tricky..

Also, Blackberry doesn't support OGG, iTunes (my media manager) doesn't support WMA (a Microsoft format), and .WAV are not compressed and huugge.

So it comes down to .M4A vs. MP3. Blackberry Ringtones can use MP3 but not M4A as well. But supposedly at 192kpbs it doesn't matter if you use M4A or MP3.
    11-09-08 10:04 PM
    I would go for MP3 at 128, that's just my preference. MP3 keeps the file size small and yet the quality is still very good.
    11-10-08 02:22 AM
    I used to use mp3 at 192 kbps, but found the files were too big for too little return, especially through headphones or my car stereo...so, I switched back to 128 and haven't really noticed the difference..

Edit: Here's an article on Slate from April 07 about the difference between 128 kbps mp3s and 256...

http://www.slate.com/id/2163508/

-neil
    Last edited by tkerugger; 11-10-08 at 10:55 AM.
    11-10-08 10:46 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD