I wonder if my Cobalt Blue Classic will retain value as time passes? I don't care either way. It's a BlackBerry I'll never part with. Update the Browser BlackBerry and I would immediately consider going back to it. 😎
    11-09-19 06:59 PM
    Who needs a notification light when my watch gives me all notifications ? I don’t even need to pull out my phone, I just check my watch, I can even accept meeting invites right on my watch and keep on going. Keep your Notification light that still needs you to pick up the phone to action anything

You can install BB Hub in most Androids from why I remember.

Battery life is an area BB fell behind long ago, pretty much every mid end and flagship since 2017 has large batteries with fast charging that can easily do 2 days, depending on usage of course.

DTEK features pretty much exist in the latest build of Android and iOS, with controls over what apps get access to as well.

PKB and Rubber Back, you can definitely have those.
    That smartwatch has to be charged daily as well. Just another thing to think about.

I'd rather have a simple LED than to have to carry a separate device on my wrist that will barely last a day lol.

These notification LED "replacements" are hilarious. Each and every one of them that has been mentioned are either added costs or battery hogs.
    11-09-19 07:48 PM
    That smartwatch has to be charged daily as well. Just another thing to think about.

I'd rather have a simple LED than to have to carry a separate device on my wrist that will barely last a day lol.

These notification LED "replacements" are hilarious. Each and every one of them that has been mentioned are either added costs or battery hogs.
    I agree with you about smartwatches, but AOD does not add cost and is not a battery hog on AMOLED screens. On regular LED screens, sure.
    11-09-19 10:30 PM

Lol, nobody said a smart watch is simply an LED replacement, and nobody said a smart watch needs to be charged daily.

Depending on what you have the Huawei Band Pro 2 lasted me something like 1.5 weeks, the Apple Watch due to me having it syncing Outlook, all my notifications and set to Full brightness I charge it every 3rd day or so as it also works as my fitness tracker. The more expensive Garmins etc... can also do over a week or so.

It just so happens that it also makes an LED notification light irrelevant as it goes above and beyond a simple light that you have to be in a position to see the whole time, while bringing a whole lot of other functionality with it.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    11-10-19 12:31 AM
    The only things I want flashing on my Tank Francaise or Tiffany wristpiece are diamonds. Over and out.
    11-10-19 01:19 PM
    Lol, nobody said a smart watch is simply an LED replacement, and nobody said a smart watch needs to be charged daily.

Depending on what you have the Huawei Band Pro 2 lasted me something like 1.5 weeks, the Apple Watch due to me having it syncing Outlook, all my notifications and set to Full brightness I charge it every 3rd day or so as it also works as my fitness tracker. The more expensive Garmins etc... can also do over a week or so.

It just so happens that it also makes an LED notification light irrelevant as it goes above and beyond a simple light that you have to be in a position to see the whole time, while bringing a whole lot of other functionality with it.
    If it had been the BlackBerry Watch.... I expect they'd have a different view.
    Tsepz_GP likes this.
    11-11-19 01:39 PM
    If it had been the BlackBerry Watch.... I expect they'd have a different view.
    Oh yes, without a doubt and it would need to have a PKB, so something like this with Android Wear OS
    11-11-19 03:22 PM
    Oh yes, without a doubt and it would need to have a PKB, so something like this with Android Wear OS
    [IMG=433x512]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191111/0274322209e258fab305e38edf0547f3.jpg[/url]
    Not enough buttons!

A T9 won't do the job, need a full QWERTY
    11-11-19 07:56 PM
    Not enough buttons!

A T9 won't do the job, need a full QWERTY
    You mean the original BB appliance on a watchband?
    11-11-19 08:38 PM
    The brand is living its worst days probably along the last 18 years. Day by day, BlackBerry value is diminishing. We already lost the huge value of a unique operating system and the hardware made by BlackBerry Limited.

Today, I think these are the remaining features that I will miss if I ditch my Key2:

- Definitely, the gorgeous physical keyboard.
    - Dtek app. I guess it is very unique and useful.
    - BlackBerry virtual keyboard was amazing before the latest update. I used to love it, but I really don't know why the keyboard is a big mess rightnow, at least for me.
    - I also feel safer with BlackBerry Secure software, but I don't know if it is more secure than Samsung software, for instance!
    - I don't use the hub or other BlackBerry apps regularly, but still love the phased out Power Center.

What about you? Where do you see BlackBerry value?
    What BlackBerry feature you really need?
    Do you think your life will be harder if no more BlackBerry devices?
    You do realise application updates won't be halted by Google anytime soon right? That is the one thing most users of android never factor in when considering a "hardware upgrade" (replacement). While we cannot root our devices, the updates won't stop, application-wise.

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    11-17-19 12:34 AM
    [IMG=433x512]https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20191111/0274322209e258fab305e38edf0547f3.jpg[/url]
    DOG DAMMIT!!! I had an ORGANISER watch I left in fairview mall!!!! and never got it back!!! Looool

Typed on my blackberry classic with 10.3.3-latest on freedom mobile HSPA+
    11-17-19 12:36 AM
    On the back of the very sad news recently can I replay my post from May last year and ask help from those of you who are in the loop for how/where I might find replacements for the critically important elements of BlackBerry - blue dot notifier; Inbox which brings all types of communications together including when searching messages; the inclusion of sent messages and chance to choose how messages are grouped; PKB; and a handset that has a chance of fitting in my hand (at least LE, not K2).....

But how long is it really going to be before our Key2s and LEs actually stop being reliable for email, sms, browsing, WhatsApp, Uber, Google Maps? Are we being brow beaten into believing the world will end in August when in fact it could be years before our devices stop working?
    02-05-20 05:21 PM
    No one is suggesting that your phone will stop working in August; it's likely it could last for several more years. But for people who are currently using a 2, 3, or 4-year-old device, or for someone who broke or lost their phone, their best option for a new BB phone is a K2 with only a few months of updates left - and even those are getting harder to find.

Which means that people will choose another brand, and it's unlikely that they would ever come back, making it that much less likely that anyone else will be interested in BB or PKBs.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    02-06-20 02:00 PM
    My preferences on Android are in line with the pure (or close to) stock OEMs - like Pixel and Android One.
    I find stock too featureless - I currently have an samsung and I prefer their oneui - if you go through and turn off anything you don't want, you end up with something very close to stock but with more power features (if you want to turn them back on).
    02-06-20 02:09 PM

But how long is it really going to be before our Key2s and LEs actually stop being reliable for email, sms, browsing, WhatsApp, Uber, Google Maps? Are we being brow beaten into believing the world will end in August when in fact it could be years before our devices stop working?
    We still have a Galaxy S4 in the house running Marshmallow which had OS updates that ended years ago.

Still runs fine. Has Google Play that still updates apps that still run on an OS that old. Email is pretty standard and is not dependent on the OS age. Sms is a carrier thing that is also standardized and not OS dependant. Browser support a range of OS versions, as does Google Maps.

As time goes, sure, some apps will drop old OS version support, but it will be years before Oreo is dropped.

The Key phones are Android, and not dependent on any back end BlackBerry services. As mentioned several times in this thread, nothing will just stop, and no one here ever suggested that.
    02-06-20 02:18 PM
    The company’s value will continue to diminish because phone hardware is out, some companies on wall street are doing stock buybacks but BB isn’t in a position to do so IMHO. They haven’t identified many new contracts that are ‘done deals’ only that they’re creating new technologies to be sold as is, as the OS10 line goes unpatched or updated it’s value decreases. They bought this Cylance but what is changing there? I also have Kaspersky on my machine and it finds more Mac exploits than Cylance does. BlackBerry Messenger has given up most of its market share. I think the only thing that could save BlackBerry now is if a Vodafone, or Bell Canada, or Rogers or Telus buys it and makes it a business unit on their bottom line.
    02-06-20 03:13 PM
    The company’s value will continue to diminish because phone hardware is out, some companies on wall street are doing stock buybacks but BB isn’t in a position to do so IMHO. They haven’t identified many new contracts that are ‘done deals’ only that they’re creating new technologies to be sold as is, as the OS10 line goes unpatched or updated it’s value decreases. They bought this Cylance but what is changing there? I also have Kaspersky on my machine and it finds more Mac exploits than Cylance does. BlackBerry Messenger has given up most of its market share. I think the only thing that could save BlackBerry now is if a Vodafone, or Bell Canada, or Rogers or Telus buys it and makes it a business unit on their bottom line.
    Why on earth would any mobile carrier purchase BlackBerry at this point? What does a mobile carrier get from such a purchase?
    02-06-20 03:18 PM
    The company’s value will continue to diminish because phone hardware is out.
    It's been out for years, and revenues are now starting to rebound - up in each of the last 6 quarters.
    02-06-20 03:26 PM
    Fairfax pretty much already "owns" BlackBerry.... if things get much dire from the software business, they'll finish the job in association with some of the other key investment banks (why they keep increasing their positions - they don't want to be left out in the cold like the small private investors). And at that point sell of the components of BlackBerry to the highest bidder....

They might keep QNX, but sell off the IP piecemeal, and hopefully find someone willing to take over the enterprise software side of things for the customer base more than the software.

There is a lot riding on Cylance....
    02-06-20 03:30 PM
    I find stock too featureless - I currently have an samsung and I prefer their oneui - if you go through and turn off anything you don't want, you end up with something very close to stock but with more power features (if you want to turn them back on).
    Samsung UI is NOT close to stock no matter what you tweak.

Oxygen OS, for example, is far better
    02-06-20 03:54 PM
    Fairfax pretty much already "owns" BlackBerry.... if things get much dire from the software business, they'll finish the job in association with some of the other key investment banks (why they keep increasing their positions - they don't want to be left out in the cold like the small private investors). And at that point sell of the components of BlackBerry to the highest bidder....

They might keep QNX, but sell off the IP piecemeal, and hopefully find someone willing to take over the enterprise software side of things for the customer base more than the software.

There is a lot riding on Cylance....
    This is exactly why Fairfax has collared their position with it’s BlackBerry debentures.
    Dunt Dunt Dunt likes this.
    02-06-20 04:07 PM
    It's been out for years, and revenues are now starting to rebound - up in each of the last 6 quarters.
    The facts! They burn! Someone douse me with lies and unrealistic optimism!
    Troy Tiscareno and JeepBB like this.
    02-06-20 04:55 PM
    The facts! They burn! Someone douse me with lies and unrealistic optimism!
    I heard that John Chen wants to restart BB10 software and BB10 hardware for the security it will bring to enterprise clients.
    02-06-20 05:17 PM
    I heard that John Chen wants to restart BB10 software and BB10 hardware for the security it will bring to enterprise clients.
    Rebranded as BB11-teen?
    app_Developer likes this.
    02-06-20 05:23 PM
    You might want to look into who owns Kaspersky
    02-06-20 06:47 PM
153 ... 4567