Google, who speced a notification light on the original Nexus phone and led the way in that regard, deprecated the notification light and its functionality from Android over a year ago, because of low demand (user surveys showed notification lights to be of little importance to most users) and due to alternatives that are more comprehensive and more popular, from partial "always on" OLED screens to smart watches. Since the code was removed from AOSP (stock Android), manufacturers dropped the lights themselves. I wouldn't expect many manufacturers to spend the money to restore that functionality when they could spend it on a more valued feature.
    How the hell do you even know that there were surveys asking users about what their thoughts were on the notification LED?

And why would a user ask for an OEM to remove it? It's the least battery guzzling way to notify someone. AOD and smartwatches are a much bigger drain/inconvenience
    11-06-19 03:09 PM
    How the hell do you even know that there were surveys asking users about what their thoughts were on the notification LED?

And why would a user ask for an OEM to remove it? It's the least battery guzzling way to notify someone. AOD and smartwatches are a much bigger drain/inconvenience
    Customers do seem drawn to large screens with no bezels.
    11-06-19 03:33 PM
    Customers do seem drawn to large screens with no bezels.
    But that's a moot point because the Pixel 2 XL has a notification LED set up where a few pixels of the OLED display light up
    11-06-19 03:46 PM
    Good grief.
    11-06-19 03:46 PM
    Good grief.
    im not saying that to you, the_boon, but in reply to the message from Troy. Messages unfortunately crossed. Not only is it the least battery wasting way of letting us know we’ve got a message, but it saves spectacular amounts of time. And for those of us who’ve used BB from the beginning and still do, because we are the people who run stuff and make our own choices, that tends to be immensely valuable time! So I will say good grief again, this time in context.
    11-06-19 03:52 PM
    But that's a moot point because the Pixel 2 XL has a notification LED set up where a few pixels of the OLED display light up
    Yes, AOD had been mentioned.
    11-06-19 03:52 PM
    Anyhow my Key2 is only one year old and I have a mint key2LE still in its box as back up so with luck unless Android for BB dies completely (is that a possibility???) I’m ok for quite a long time. Aren’t I?
    11-06-19 03:59 PM
    Yes, AOD had been mentioned.
    A few pixels that light up in an intermittent way will drain far less battery than AOD which is, by name, ALWAYS ON.
    And AOD uses many more pixels than a small dot on the upper right corner of the display.
    If it wasn't such a drain, I guess it could make sense to be the go-to solution.
    But even if it drains 1% per hour, that's a whopping 18% lost in a typical 18 hour day...
    11-06-19 04:00 PM
    about $1 million lol
    11-06-19 04:01 PM
    A few pixels that light up in an intermittent way will drain far less battery than AOD which is, by name, ALWAYS ON.
    And AOD uses many more pixels than a small dot on the upper right corner of the display.
    If it wasn't such a drain, I guess it could make sense to be the go-to solution.
    But even if it drains 1% per hour, that's a whopping 18% lost in a typical 18 hour day...
    That's still AOD - whether it be LCD or OLED.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    11-06-19 04:02 PM
    Anyhow my Key2 is only one year old and I have a mint key2LE still in its box as back up so with luck unless Android for BB dies completely (is that a possibility???) I’m ok for quite a long time. Aren’t I?
    No, BBAndroid with Oreo 8.1.0 will be good to go for a LONG time.

Even the Priv which is forever stuck on 6.0.1 works with the vast majority of apps... although it's quite slow but that's the processor's fault, not the Android version.

Heck, even BB10 devices with their Android runtime of 4.3 still work with quite a few apps. An actual Android phone running that same 4.3 will have even better functionality.
    11-06-19 04:02 PM
    It sounds like it. The only thing you have to worry about is not having updates very much longer.
    11-06-19 04:04 PM
    Thanks for that, which is very good news for me and I’m sure thousands like me who just aren’t vocal in places like this.

Until September last year I still adored my 9720....only after Uber and WA stopped working did I think I must move to Android. Still miss trackpad, light weight, small size, amazing battery life and changeable battery and the ability to hold in one hand and type fast with right thumb when I’m writing serious documents with lots of paras and subparas, but there are some compensations on Android....
    11-06-19 04:16 PM
    I’m in UK. Do we have Oreo?
    11-06-19 04:18 PM
    AOD on my Galaxy S9 uses around 0.3% battery per hour.

All I show is the time, date, and the few app notification I allow. My two emails - each in their own color. Texts, and I have a different theme color for texts from my wife, and the icon displays in that color when I get texts from her.

The AOD screen is also quite dim. Just bright enough to see under office light. Even dimmer at night.

I use the LED light too, since the S9 still has one, but I can live with the AOD alternative if that was all I had.
    11-06-19 05:18 PM
    I’m in UK. Do we have Oreo?
    All KEY2 devices have Oreo.
    11-06-19 05:22 PM
    I felt BBM was the best thing Blackberry had but they went away with that, which is sad.
    11-06-19 06:44 PM
    I felt BBM was the best thing Blackberry had but they went away with that, which is sad.
    Although it's fallen well behind its competitors, BBM is still around. Download BBM Enterprise.
    11-06-19 06:59 PM
    No, BBAndroid with Oreo 8.1.0 will be good to go for a LONG time.
    That's actually not as true as it was for many (business) people, as quite recently, due to additional security changes made with recent versions of Android, there's been a big move for corporate BYOD users to meet very current standards - typically Android 9 for the moment and likely to be Android 10 a few months from now - to maintain that device's use on the corporate network. This is in large part due to a push from Microsoft, who is strongly recommending this for Exchange and O360 corporate users. In the past, corporate BYOD typically supported at least the current version and 2 versions back of the OS, but it seems that they're pushing to get people much more current these days.

Obviously this means nothing to non-corporate users, but given BB's popularity among the business crowd, this will probably impact BB users more heavily than, say, One+ or Moto users who happen to be on an older version.
    John Albert likes this.
    11-06-19 09:25 PM
    That's actually not as true as it was for many (business) people, as quite recently, due to additional security changes made with recent versions of Android, there's been a big move for corporate BYOD users to meet very current standards - typically Android 9 for the moment and likely to be Android 10 a few months from now - to maintain that device's use on the corporate network. This is in large part due to a push from Microsoft, who is strongly recommending this for Exchange and O360 corporate users. In the past, corporate BYOD typically supported at least the current version and 2 versions back of the OS, but it seems that they're pushing to get people much more current these days.

Obviously this means nothing to non-corporate users, but given BB's popularity among the business crowd, this will probably impact BB users more heavily than, say, One+ or Moto users who happen to be on an older version.
    Add me to the list of impacted corporate users. If my KEY2 doesn't get Android 9 by the end of Q2 2020, it's a no bueno as a BYOD. I've already started crying!
    11-06-19 09:38 PM
    Add me to the list of impacted corporate users. If my KEY2 doesn't get Android 9 by the end of Q2 2020, it's a no bueno as a BYOD. I've already started crying!
    You have plenty of company just here on CB. Again, it's not going to affect standalone consumers anytime soon, but corporate users are quickly being boxed out of any phones that aren't current.
    11-06-19 09:52 PM
    My preferences on Android are in line with the pure (or close to) stock OEMs - like Pixel and Android One.
    what's the difference between android one and android stock?
    11-07-19 01:25 AM
    The flip Razr concept phone was shown over a year ago, and now it will see the light of day. It's been a long wait. Even my wife got excited over this (but not with the price, I'm not either).
    I loved my Razr V3. That was the best phone I've owned.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink/top...ink_source=app
    Rumored price of $1,500 for mid tier specs will keep me away. Might be a little interested if the phone had flagship specs. For me any phone over $1K needs to be a flagship spec phone.
    11-07-19 02:31 AM
    One is a compliance program, and the other is an OS. The former involves an OS that is stock or very close to it.
    11-07-19 04:08 AM
    As conite said, Android One is a compliance program, where manufacturers must choose from a VERY limited set of supported hardware, and almost no software changes, and in return, Google does the work of optimizing everything for the hardware, which means the manufacturer gets an OS build that will run very well on the hardware without having to do any significant development/optimization work on their own (which is a significant cost savings). This in turn allows updates to be pushed very quickly, because there are very few customizations of anything that would require separate testing/fixing.

In practice, Android One is essentially "stock Android" with perhaps a few additional apps loaded, yes, but it isn't just the OS, but an overall hardware compliance program that enables the OS.
    11-07-19 01:08 PM
153 12345 ...