Chances are if I'm ticked at anyone, it will be Sprint. If all other carriers have it within a month or so after the release, but they wait even longer ill move on to AT&T or something.
    spoke with Sprint yesterday, to see where I'm at with upgrade, and was told they hadn't even heard of BB10 , and had no idea of a release date.
    01-24-13 09:02 AM
    Not knowing when it's going to be released at all is ticking me off already. "January 30th shall reveal all things." yea, yea yada, yada. That's cute and all, but the simple fact that I can't preorder the device in the US is a load of frustration all within itself. I say until I hear an official release date in the US, I shall be ticked off.
    01-24-13 09:05 AM
    T-Mobile availability date is rumored to be March 27th, and I'm fine with this.
    I'm not fine with it. Mainly it's my own impatience, but I also think it would be a bad idea in general.

Why weren't people this upset when OS7 phones were available in August 2011 when the announcement was back in May 2011?
    As a general thing, I think that sort of delay is a bad thing. I don't think it did OS7 any good. In this particular case, with BB10 already having been delayed, it's worse. A "launch event" that doesn't result in the speedy availability of the actual phones undermines the very things it's meant to accomplish: To generate momentum for a new product. Granted, Tmobile has its own priorities, but if all the US carriers didn't get BB10 until late March, I'd consider it a botched launch, at least in the US.

In my opinion, the launch event should get people talking, and the devices should be in stores before they have a chance to stop talking, or start talking about something else. For that, I'd give a 2-week window, tops.
    01-24-13 11:22 AM
    I'm not fine with it. Mainly it's my own impatience, but I also think it would be a bad idea in general.

As a general thing, I think that sort of delay is a bad thing. I don't think it did OS7 any good. In this particular case, with BB10 already having been delayed, it's worse. A "launch event" that doesn't result in the speedy availability of the actual phones undermines the very things it's meant to accomplish: To generate momentum for a new product. Granted, Tmobile has its own priorities, but if all the US carriers didn't get BB10 until late March, I'd consider it a botched launch, at least in the US.

In my opinion, the launch event should get people talking, and the devices should be in stores before they have a chance to stop talking, or start talking about something else. For that, I'd give a 2-week window, tops.
    I think people are expecting Apple-like turnaround between the announcement and the availability to the masses. I just don't see the reason to get all up in arms at this point. Like I said, RIM promised we'd have the phones Q1 2012. Even if we get them on March 27th, they still kept that promise.

Plus, think about the SGS3. The official announcement was on May 3rd. T-Mo didn't release theirs until late June. It still sold well. If the comments on posts at tmonews.com regarding the z10 are any indication, there is excitement for BB10. I think people will wait a bit.

Would I like the device in my hot clammy hand sooner? Of course. Will it be available sooner for other carriers? I'm betting it will, and I'll definitely go play with one of their units (twss) then.
    01-24-13 11:44 AM
    Botched by the US carriers rather than Rim though, if large numbers of carriers globally end up releasing bb10 handsets before the US carriers then clearly the issues are with them, but I guess we will have to wait and see as maybe they will surprise us and not be rubbish.
    01-24-13 11:45 AM
    I think people are expecting Apple-like turnaround between the announcement and the availability to the masses. I just don't see the reason to get all up in arms at this point. Like I said, RIM promised we'd have the phones Q1 2012. Even if we get them on March 27th, they still kept that promise.
    That's right, I wouldn't complain of some sort of breach of promise. I'd merely be...crestfallen, as when dropping the toothpaste.

Plus, think about the SGS3. The official announcement was on May 3rd. T-Mo didn't release theirs until late June. It still sold well. If the comments on posts at tmonews.com regarding the z10 are any indication, there is excitement for BB10. I think people will wait a bit.
    My point is that if no US carriers have BB10 before March 27, I'd consider that a botched launch, as far as the US is concerned. I'm not saying that Tmo in particular has to have it sooner--although I'd certainly like it if they do. For the Jan. 30 launch event to be successful in the US, somebody needs to be selling these phones within a few weeks. That, at least, is how I see it. In the case of the SGS3, it was/is the successor to the successful SGS2, so it already had plenty of market momentum. Lots of people already knew they wanted the SGS3, and Tmo's delay in getting it wasn't going to have much effect on that demand. But the Z10 has very little pre-existing demand, outside of the locked ward here, so it's more important for next week's launch even to have speedy followup with some carrier or other in the US.

Would I like the device in my hot clammy hand sooner? Of course. Will it be available sooner for other carriers? I'm betting it will, and I'll definitely go play with one of their units (twss) then.
    Same. Incidentally "hot clammy hand" is an oxymoron, not that it should keep you from playing with anyone's units.
    Last edited by ubizmo; 01-24-13 at 12:25 PM. Reason: snafu
    pantlesspenguin likes this.
    01-24-13 12:14 PM
    That's right, I wouldn't complain of some sort of breach of promise. I'd merely be...crestfallen, as when dropping the toothpaste.

My point is that if no US carriers have BB10 before March 27, I'd consider that a botched launch, as far as the US is concerned. I'm not saying that Tmo in particular has to have it sooner--although I'd certainly like it if they do. For the Jan. 30 launch event to be successful in the US, somebody needs to be selling these phones within a few weeks. That, at least, is how I see it. In the case of the SGS3, it was/is the successor to the successful SGS2, so it already had plenty of market momentum. Lots of people already knew they wanted the SGS3, and Tmo's delay in getting it wasn't going to have much effect on that demand. But the Z10 has very little pre-existing demand, outside of the locked ward here, so it's more important for next week's launch even to have speedy followup with some carrier or other in the US.

Same. Incidentally "hot clammy hand is an oxymoron, not that it should keep you from playing with anyone's unit.
    Crestfallen - ISWYDT . And I get you now. I really don't think it'll take the z10 til the 27th to be released in the US. And who knows, maybe plans for T-Mo's release could change between when that document with that date was leaked and the actual release.
    01-24-13 12:31 PM
    31th jan to 3rd feb release date
    01-24-13 12:53 PM
    Why do you think that? LOL Some of us are a little slow here
    Oh I was reading a posting on FaceBook the other night and it was titled "The Perfect Law School Exam" and each answer to the question was a literal interpretation of the question. Your answer fit the mould so to speak. So I was just having some fun with your response to the date for BlackBerry 10 release.
    01-24-13 05:44 PM
    Chances are if I'm ticked at anyone, it will be Sprint. If all other carriers have it within a month or so after the release, but they wait even longer ill move on to AT&T or something.
    Sprint is making me nervous as well. I was wanting to upgrade my whole family to bb10 by th 25th of Feb. I think Sprint is really gonna play the wait and see approach. That and their 4g situation might be the reason for them to delay. I hope we can get some kind of info on pre order and US carrier release dates on the 30th. I have held out on upgrading with sprint far too long and i don't think my patience could last past march.
    01-24-13 11:38 PM
    Remember people the MAIN launch event is in the US last I checked....I would expect they are going to launch in the US at or about the same time they do in Canada. CrackBerry will be in NY, Thorsten Heins will be there...and for some odd reason you all think they aren't going to release in the US for months after that???

Let's use some logic here folks...I would expect Rogers to get it first then followed by ATT and VZW in the US on the same day or VERY soon after that...otherwise why waste so much time, effort, and money in the US at the launch event?

That being said I really thing too long would be anything beyond 2 weeks in any large market i.e. Canada, the US, the UK and so on!
    01-24-13 11:49 PM
    Well in already ticked off that they didn't do this on my birthday. SO CLOSE!!!!!!
    I expect the phones to be available within two weeks.

Sent from my SEXY HOT RED SGIII using Tapatalk 2
    01-25-13 03:22 AM
    Am I invited?

I REALLY want the Z10 but it isn't because I am at all dissatisfied with my 9900. I just REALLY like new tech.
    Sure, but see now I need even more time because you'll want me to invite your friends.
    01-25-13 07:35 AM
    That's a good point. Consumerism is fickle. Always the next thing right around the corner.
    01-25-13 07:37 AM
    Everything (lately over the last 6-12 months) has seemed very organized and calculated by RIM. I'm thinking one of the reasons they delayed launch until now was that they knew that they could have phones available immediately to a couple of weeks from now. I think anything else would cause analysts to crucify their execution yet again. I'm just curious, I would never follow an apple unveiling, but typically how long after their events would the product be ready?
    01-25-13 11:26 PM
    This is the most important launch RIM has ever had. I would expect them to have a release within a month of launch, though we know carriers can mess with that. I would guess this has been discussed extensively as it does affect public response. I'm hoping for a February launch.
    01-26-13 08:13 AM
    I saw that RIMM is supposed to have a super bowl commercial. If accurate, which I don't doubt, then I'd think it should / would be available within a week of the Super Bowl which is played on Feb 3. Too much time after that and I think the initial jolt from the sb would be missed. In the 24 hour continual news cycle, and with Americans short memory span for tech, you need to capitalize right away.

Also, I know it's very expensive but I sure hope they run at least 5 commercials. One in pregame, one before kickoff, two in first quarter and one in the 2nd quarter. For the average non football die hard viewer, which I consider myself, the second half and potentially the 4th quarter could be wasted dollars. I am usually disinterested by then or have gone to bed and I live in the central time zone.
    geoffsdad likes this.
    01-26-13 08:25 AM
    I would hope that any spots they have bought are during the first two quarters, everyone has started and is still watching at that point.
    01-26-13 08:33 AM
    I would hope that any spots they have bought are during the first two quarters, everyone has started and is still watching at that point.
    Agreed because anything after the first two quarters could become a blow out and people will stop watching.
    Release needs to come soon, very soon, after launch or the momentum will/could be lost.
    01-26-13 08:57 AM
    Definitely not american football fans. Else you'd know the game could be won in the last seconds. But otherwise I too hope they have in the first half so you can see the commercial.
    01-26-13 09:05 AM
    Definitely not american football fans. Else you'd know the game could be won in the last seconds. But otherwise I too hope they have in the first half so you can see the commercial.
    While the game can be won in the last few seconds, the simple fact of the matter is that a game could also be a blowout and it would be far better for Rim's commercials to be seen early on rather than later in the game where there is a slight chance of an increased audience offset against the chance of a drastically reduced audience.
    01-26-13 09:15 AM
    Big delays between launching and releasing products are IMO always a bad thing. People get hyped up with launch, the press covers it and most likely ads will start to roll out. However if the actual release is months away, tere will be other, newer devices being launched and maybe even released. Also press coverage will take attention to those newer products.

Nokia is a fine example of launch-release delays. Often there was a delay of around 3-5 months between hardware launch and actual release at retailers and carriers. That was just frustrating. Nothing but a paper launch.

As for the question, I hope for a mid to late february release of BOTH devices. If the X10 gets delayed months after that Z10, I am not sure if I will wait for that one.
    01-26-13 09:37 AM
47 12