I'm an indie developer, and yesterdays announcement of a guaranteed 10K has me interested in trying blackberry 10 development. I'm not looking to skate by on a fart app, but I certainly understand I don't have the next angry birds in my mind either. What are the official terms of "quality apps"?

As an android developer, it would probably be best if I could port my android apps after optimizing them a bit for blackberry. I'm assuming the android player will remain on BB10? Will android player apps qualify as "quality" or are they trying to get dev's to make a native app? If anyone can provide more details, that would be awesome. What I've seen so far has been incredibly vague on the idea of "quality".

Also, I'm assuming not, but might the Playbook get access to a BB10 beta before release? I'm considering getting one if I start development.
    05-02-12 10:58 AM
    I have no idea about the answers to your questions, but IN MY OPINION, an Android app running in the Android Player should never be considered a "Quality App". It has nothing to do with the Android App or the Developers, but the quality of the Android Player doesn't allow for a truely quality app.
    kbz1960 and bluetroll like this.
    05-02-12 11:41 AM
    The "quality app" moniker will be bestowed upon the apps by an independent third party.
    I'm not finding any details as of yet but without knowing the "parameters" an app will be judged by, it's a guessing game for all of us.

Keep in mind that your app will need to fetch $1,000 in sales in order to qualify for the $10,000 guarantee program.

So don't assume you'll be getting $10,000 from RIM just because you develop an app. If you get your app certified on App World and don't earn $10,000 in the first year, RIM will cut you a check for the difference.

I have no idea about the answers to your questions, but IN MY OPINION, an Android app running in the Android Player should never be considered a "Quality App". It has nothing to do with the Android App or the Developers, but the quality of the Android Player doesn't allow for a truely quality app.
    I agree. I assume they're talking about native apps that takes use of several available API's like Scoreloop for games or the BB Social API for BBM integration.
    Last edited by wout000; 05-02-12 at 03:13 PM.
    05-02-12 11:54 AM
    Safe bet, they're going to get a little more picky........ They've already got enough pollution.
    kbz1960 and anon(1464249) like this.
    05-02-12 11:59 AM
    So what does a "certified" apply mean? Is a native (ie non-android) application that is approved by RIM and sold on App World enough? Does the dev apply for certified status? Just curious...
    05-02-12 12:16 PM
    So what does a "certified" apply mean? Is a native (ie non-android) application that is approved by RIM and sold on App World enough? Does the dev apply for certified status? Just curious...
    Not too sure if it includes already existing apps since this campaign is being set up to attract more developers to the BB platform.

We'll have to wait until RIM releases some more details.
    05-02-12 03:15 PM
    The "quality app" moniker will be bestowed upon the apps by an independent third party.
    I'm not finding any details as of yet but without knowing the "parameters" an app will be judged by, it's a guessing game for all of us.

Keep in mind that your app will need to fetch $1,000 in sales in order to qualify for the $10,000 guarantee program.

So don't assume you'll be getting $10,000 from RIM just because you develop an app. If you get your app certified on App World and don't earn $10,000 in the first year, RIM will cut you a check for the difference.

I agree. I assume they're talking about native apps that takes use of several available API's like Scoreloop for games or the BB Social API for BBM integration.
    So the $1000 minimum is a real thing then? Hmmm. That concerns me, simply because who knows how many people will actually buy BB10 devices in a year. It could take off, or it might not.

Not too sure if it includes already existing apps since this campaign is being set up to attract more developers to the BB platform.

We'll have to wait until RIM releases some more details.
    Hope they release them soon. If they want apps by october, 5 months is already a little tight for people who haven't developed for Blackberry to get a quality working app.
    05-02-12 04:12 PM

YUP. There was also a pretty good description in the Front Page Article here on CB
    05-02-12 04:29 PM
    So the $1000 minimum is a real thing then? Hmmm. That concerns me, simply because who knows how many people will actually buy BB10 devices in a year. It could take off, or it might not.
    Ive always said this...

If you make a quality app people will buy it. Im sure more then 5 000 people will buy BB10 devices. That means you need to sell a $1 app to 1/5 people.

if 100 000 people support the platform that means you need to sell that same $1 app to 1/100 people.

I am also sure that AT THE VERY LEAST there will be 500 000 BB10 devices sold. I dont honestly think that anyone out there is saying LESS than 500 000 will be sold.

So at 500 000 you will need to sell a $1 app to 1/500 people to make $10 000... seems pretty damn attainable to me.
    (it is 0.001% of users!)
    OniBerry, bluetroll and CDM76 like this.
    05-02-12 04:31 PM
    I agree FSeverino - People are not doing the math. Submit your app (A quality app that obviously showcases and uses the most out of the new OS and UI) If your app is worth it, it could very quickly make that kind of money. In a year, with good exposure (Don't forget, RIM has final say, seeing as they are gonna cut the difference if they allow it)

Make some rounds advertise on the more popular boards...Bob's your uncle.
    05-02-12 04:59 PM
    Ive always said this...

If you make a quality app people will buy it. Im sure more then 5 000 people will buy BB10 devices. That means you need to sell a $1 app to 1/5 people.

if 100 000 people support the platform that means you need to sell that same $1 app to 1/100 people.

I am also sure that AT THE VERY LEAST there will be 500 000 BB10 devices sold. I dont honestly think that anyone out there is saying LESS than 500 000 will be sold.

So at 500 000 you will need to sell a $1 app to 1/500 people to make $10 000... seems pretty damn attainable to me.
    (it is 0.001% of users!)
    Even on iOS, it's not easy to make $10k per year.

The Average iOS App Publisher Isn’t Making Much Money — Apple News, Tips and Reviews
    05-02-12 05:02 PM
    the AVERAGE iOS app is not 'quality'

The given number of apps is 370,000 for iOS and AVERAGE is the middle of the pack then here is some math.

THE BEST apps would be (i believe) the top 10%(which is VERY generous), THE WORST would be bottom 10%... that means that the MIDDLE 80% of apps are 'the average apps' that you are talking about.

For numbers sake it would look like this:
    BEST - 37 000 apps
    AVERAGE - 296 000 apps
    WORST - 37 000 apps

This is a VERY GENEROUS estimate because usually the 'top' apps are only around 3-5%.

those middle 300 000 apps on iOS are NOT worth $1 in the vast majority of cases.
    Last edited by FSeverino; 05-02-12 at 07:14 PM.
    05-02-12 07:08 PM
    A quality app is a great app.

It looks really good, works really good, is useful, and innovative...a keeper

We've all used really good products, average products, and junk
    05-02-12 07:16 PM
    Sounds like a great program. RIM customers get quality apps. Devs get a risk free investment.

We'll take quality over quantity any time.

Now that is an "INDUSTRY LEADING DEVELOPER PROGRAM"

Very well done RIM.
    05-02-12 07:31 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD