Well I'm an Android user, considering to get a Blackberry as my next phone, so a BlackBerry newbie i am

I have few questions regarding BIS, BES and "push-technology".. please take some time and have a look:

1. on my Android, it automatically pull emails, so what's the advantage of "pushing" compare to pulling?
    2. If I want to use Gtalk Gmail, do I must use BIS or BES?
    3. Why my mobile network carrier need to know when I use BIS and BES? Because in my imagination, BIS and BES are just two servers using normal Internet connection, how do they differ from normal mobile data?
    4. Can Blackberry use the Internet without BIS or BES?
    5. How does an app know whether to use BIS, BES, or normal Internet connection?

lots of my friends didn't have a good experience with Blackberry but I quite believe that they didn't investigate Blackberry very well. so that's why I'd like to clarify few things before I get a BLackberry.

Thank you very much indeed
    08-02-11 06:55 AM
    08-02-11 07:02 AM
    Thanks a lot for the useful links, now I understand that BIS and BES are "ISP over ISP".

but still have two questions... if I never use mobile phone network, only using Wifi, am I still able to setup emails?

also, is it true that each Blackberry must use either a BIS account or BES account to allow any app to connect to the Internet?
    08-02-11 07:12 AM
    Pretty sure you need BIS or BES to get data pushed to your BB. You can still go to your email accounts webpage and check it yourself. But the advantages of having a BB data plan are huge.

The other advantage of having your emails "pushed" instead of "pulled" equates to much better battery life. It takes some effort to pull data out of the ether. Where as pushing uses little or no extra juice other than the notifications.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    hzguo likes this.
    08-02-11 07:31 AM
    The blackberry will use whatever internet connection it can find (be it carrier 3g, or wifi, your BB doesn't care which) to connect to the BIS/BES. You'll need to maintain a blackberry account to get your e-mails, web browsing (via the bb broswer), any of the BB stock apps (aim, yahoo, etc...), as they all rely on the BIS service. There are other apps that don't go through the BIS services, and they can be used without a carrier data plan (which includes your BIS account), but there are few that operate like that.

The push mail is like the mailman yelling when you've got mail, pull is like you walking out to the mailbox every couple minutes even if the box is empty, which uses a LOT more energy to do. The BIS/BES compresses data also, so if you're on a limited plan, you can do more with a BB before coming up against your data limit, which can lower your overall cost of ownership too.
    hzguo likes this.
    08-02-11 07:36 AM
    Push data is like sipping soda from a straw versus having it sprayed in your face from a garden hose.

Delil, PsyCorps and hzguo like this.
    08-02-11 07:49 AM
    Also remember the BlackBerry data through BES/BIS is highly compressed which keeps your data use low. The stock web browser also uses data through BES/BIS which is very data efficient.

I know data efficiency is not a big conceern for most, but I am able to do enough web browsing and use a 200MB data plan. I tried an HTC Inspire recently and went roaring into my 65% warning text message from AT&T in 2 days. I have never seen that message before.

Of course a lot of my web browsing is done on wifi. The BlackBerry just uses the best connection first.

hzguo likes this.
    08-02-11 07:54 AM
    Also remember the BlackBerry data through BES/BIS is highly compressed which keeps your data use low. The stock web browser also uses data through BES/BIS which is very data efficient.
    So, just for my own curiosity, does this mean that if I use on average 1.22 GB a month on my 9700, that with the same usage on say, an Android or iOS device, it would be a far bigger number? Like 3 GB or something?
    08-02-11 08:51 AM
    So, just for my own curiosity, does this mean that if I use on average 1.22 GB a month on my 9700, that with the same usage on say, an Android or iOS device, it would be a far bigger number? Like 3 GB or something?
    It all depends on what content you are receiving on your BlackBerry. If you are using the browser that much, yes, you could see your data usage triple. If you are streaming music or video (like Pandora, Slacker, and Youtube), data usage will be about the same, since those don't go through the BIS server.
    08-02-11 09:06 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD