Hey I've been cruising this site for a few weeks now, and am new to Blackberry. This Curve 8330 being my first. As I go through some of the treads and topics I notice a lot of mention of "push email" Just wondering if someone out there can clear up what exactly this is.
    I did try to search forums on this but it comes back with every thread that has mentioned "push email" and let me tell you, there are quite a few.

Thanks.
    08-13-09 11:18 AM
    In layman's terms, rather than the Blackberry "fetching" the data or initiating it's own connection to the email server, checking for new messages (that may not be there) and disconnecting, the server initiates the connection to the Blackberry and sends it new messages only when there are new messages to be sent.

Basically, rather than your device checking the server every X minutes, the server sends you new emails as they come in.

Someone correct me if I'm off base.
    08-13-09 11:21 AM
    Push e-mail is used to describe e-mail systems that provide an "always-on" capability, in which new e-mail is instantly and actively transferred (pushed) as it arrives by the mail delivery agent (MDA) (commonly called mail server) to the mail user agent (MUA), also called the e-mail client. E-mail clients include smartphones and, less strictly, IMAP personal computer mail applications...
    08-13-09 11:22 AM
    OK thanks a lot, just trying to understand all the lingo in and around the forums and my BB.
    Thanks for clearing that up.
    08-13-09 11:31 AM
    It's what makes a BlackBerry a BlackBerry.
    08-13-09 11:31 AM
    Yes from what I gather it is one of the few things that make a Blackberry a Blackberry.
    08-13-09 11:39 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD