Recently purchased the Blackberry Pearl 8130 from a seller on eBay. He sent me original packaging and everything. I saw the holster and though "Oooo, I don't have to buy one! Blackberry owns!" I then open the little plastic wrapper to see it's just a small pouch for my phone. No clips or anything. Can someone please tell me the purpose of this seemingly useless leather-looking item?
    02-18-09 07:37 PM
    It's good so that if you put it in your jean pocket the LCD is less likely to be ruined by the pressure of you sitting down and your jeans getting tighter. Also protects the trackball. Has a small magnet in it as well so that the phone can go into sleep mode and save you some battery life.
    02-18-09 07:40 PM
    Recently purchased the Blackberry Pearl 8130 from a seller on eBay. He sent me original packaging and everything. I saw the holster and though "Oooo, I don't have to buy one! Blackberry owns!" I then open the little plastic wrapper to see it's just a small pouch for my phone. No clips or anything. Can someone please tell me the purpose of this seemingly useless leather-looking item?
    To make you buy one of the great cases they have here at crackberry!
    02-18-09 07:40 PM
    one thing it does is protect your blackberry from scratches, but more than that, your blackberry has an "in holster" setting. basically, if you have your phone on ring while it's out of holster, you can set it to vibrate while "in holster", with the assumption that it's in your pocket or something. i think there's a magnet in it, so that's how your blackberry can tell it's "in holster"
    Last edited by redsoxrocker; 02-18-09 at 07:42 PM. Reason: added something
    02-18-09 07:42 PM
    I don't ever use mine . If I put My BB in it , it wont fit in my pocket.
    02-18-09 07:47 PM
    I don't use mine... just one unnecessary step to getting to your phone.
    02-18-09 07:53 PM
    ...............lolgirls
    02-18-09 09:12 PM

At least you didn't have the dude at the store trying to sell you the same thing. I mean come on man, if you are going to try to upsell me, at least offer me a better product.
    02-18-09 09:27 PM
    be glad they even offer it, all the other phones I've had never came with free swag. except for those stupid wrist cords.
    02-18-09 09:36 PM
    I really think it's useless. In-holster settings are not that big of a deal. I can standby in less than 2 seconds by holding the mute button. And it does bulk up the phone for no reason.
    02-19-09 02:42 PM
    I absolutely love the leather pouch.

I prefer it over that fugly clip holster provided with the Bold.

I would take that over any other case any day, hands down.

Different Strokes, for Different Folks I guess...

It does have its uses though- As Stated Above.

I for one love the Sleep Feature- it really does make a difference in battery life.

Besides, the (P)Leather Pouch adds a touch a of Class.
    02-19-09 02:48 PM
    Yeah...after it's been pointed out how the pouch protects the LCD, the trackball and the case itself, saying it's "for no reason" seems a bit of a stretch.
    02-19-09 02:50 PM
    Yeah...after it's been pointed out how the pouch protects the LCD, the trackball and the case itself, saying it's "for no reason" seems a bit of a stretch.
    Yes, the case itself is actually pretty nice for what it does.

If you think about it- What Other Company Sends its Devices with Nice Classy Leather Pouches?

Not Many.

They Could Always Just Omitt Leather Pouches and Include Cheap Neon Colored Hard Plastic Cases!

Hehehe

02-19-09 02:57 PM
    I didn't use it for the first few months but have now started using the OE pouch when the phone is not in use and I'm on the move, just for some extra protection.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    02-19-09 03:05 PM
    Wow, tight trousers...

02-19-09 03:05 PM
    Seriously, why complain about something that comes with the phone for FREE?! If you don't like it, don't use it. Buy a different one. But to complain about it seems silly. Most phones don't come with anything.
    02-19-09 03:08 PM
    To me it's just an added bonus-great to use while you are trying to figure out the perfect case. I used it for a day-served its purpose and I was grateful to have it but now it's back in the box.
    02-19-09 03:09 PM
    I love the holster on my Storm.... Oh wait VZW decided not to include one.
    02-19-09 03:16 PM
    I love the holster on my Storm.... Oh wait VZW decided not to include one.
    NOR on the Curve 8330!

02-19-09 03:18 PM
    I didn't use it for the first few months but have now started using the OE pouch when the phone is not in use and I'm on the move, just for some extra protection.

Same here. First few months I didn't even touch it. But now I've used it so much that I'm about to buy a new one to replace my original. I love the thing.

02-19-09 06:46 PM
    Many companies do not give any form of phone protection.

Blackberry gives you a slip on case. A LEATHER case. Nokia and others give you nothing, not even a cloth bag.

Leather,
    and you ask for the point?
    03-15-10 05:32 PM
    this is what people usually use in the mean time, until we can purchase our fancy cases.
    03-15-10 07:27 PM
    I absolutely love the leather pouch.

I prefer it over that fugly clip holster provided with the Bold.
    I received the clip holster with my 9700. The OEM holster is sturdily built. I'd rather have it on a holster than in my pocket to get all scratched up, but different strokes for different folks
    03-15-10 08:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD