I would guess this question has been posed before, but searching for "PIN" brings up 8000000 threads. So, my question is, what is PIN all about? I have had a BB for around 3 years now and really haven't dealt with PIN much. However, since browsing CB and friending BB on FB, I see people post their PIN and ask for other people's PINs. My question is, I know it can be used for BBM, but 1) what else can it be used for and 2) is it safe to hand out to just any (as I see people post theirs for the world to see)?
    03-03-11 01:30 PM
    Some apps reg code is unique to your BB pin.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-03-11 01:42 PM
    A PIN in the unique code linked to a specific blackberry, each phone has a PIN and it cannot be changed. The PIN in how the phone is identified. When you have someone's PIN you can add them to BBM, that is why people post theirs. Another way it can be used is by sending a PIN message, similar to an email rather than BBM, the sender can see when it is delivered but not when it is read, also it is real quick, similar to BBM.

When posting your PIN for the public to see anyone can add you to BBM, so as far as I know that is the extent of the safety issue. I have has a couple people add mine and I can easily ignore their invitation and/or block them.
    Last edited by Kennedy.L; 03-03-11 at 02:02 PM.
    03-03-11 01:59 PM
    I love using BlackBerry Messenger for the fact that you get a report when it's "Delivered" and "Read" by the other person ( a small D appears next to the message, then changes to an R when it is read by the receiver). If it's something urgent that I need to send to someone I know it got read and they are probably going to reply back soon. In general though, the PIN is your device's I.D..
    03-03-11 08:11 PM
    PIN or Personal Identification Number is what a 3rd party app will require from you when you purchase an app. think of it as a Serial number, only shorter and actually easier to remember since it's less than 10 characters.
    YOU use your PIN as well to join/friend another group/person through BBM.
    i wouldn't post it unless you want to be flooded by friend request by the thousand.

Remember, even the people outside the country can invite you as long as they have a BB and a Data Plan
    03-03-11 09:37 PM
    Sometimes you can give out your pin to send PIN messages rather than text messages. Text messages also gives away your phone # and that can get annoying because they can call you. I personally have not had much experience sending PIN messages. I choose to add them to BBM where you can later block/ignore as another poster mentioned above.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    03-04-11 01:36 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD