Hi All,
    I will like some help. My contract has been up I have a 1st gen Storm, I like the phone.
    Heres my issues if I may. I have been watching and talking to several peeps.
    I am starting my own businees in the upcoming months. I need a phone and a cell provider that will keep me mobile, phone and pc, the company will be a small electrcial contractor to start with.

Why should I stay with RIM?
    Apples visual voice mail is free...... I want don't want to pay RIM $3.00
    RIM as a great email capbiliites.... The others suck???
    Who has better tethering.....
    Which phone has the best wifi and ease of use????

I have been doing research on the forums here and I am exhausted.
    I wish there was a website to compare everything truthfully without hype.

Thanx to all who can help....

Bob
    Last edited by 69 Charger RT; 03-12-11 at 07:29 PM. Reason: spelling errors
    03-12-11 06:38 PM
    Well you asked this on a BlackBerry forum, so most people here will of course tell you to stay with RIM.

I urge you to do the opposite.

Android and iOS, heck, even WebOS and Windows Phone 7 have more going for them then RIM does now. If you want to stay on Verizon I would recommend getting one of the new 4G Android phones or wait until this summer for the new iPhone.
    K Bear likes this.
    03-12-11 07:16 PM
    I'd check out Wirefly.com. They usually have good detailed unboxing videos that can give you a better idea about the devices for your carrier.
    03-12-11 07:22 PM
    i would probably go to an android because i hate apple and well the blackberry just isn't doing it for me and bbm isnt all that cool anymore and lack of apps
    03-12-11 07:55 PM
    i would probably go to an android because i hate apple and well the blackberry just isn't doing it for me and bbm isnt all that cool anymore and lack of apps
    What's so bad about Apple?
    03-12-11 07:57 PM
    Well, I guess not much input?? I was really hoping for some.

I am on my own.

I was hoping to be convinced to stay with a BB, TMelon thanx!!!

I have done alot reading and am going to get a torch or I might wait for the bold touch or a windows 7 phone.

I have gotten alot of questions answered by reading days & days of forums here.

Basically the conclusion I have is this:
    BB apps are lack luster.
    BB has the best email & messaging.
    BB has the best notifications & is the only one who pushes messages out to you. HHHHUUUGGGEEE!!!!!
    BB phones for the most part, are a solid device. I drove over my storm with my work truck and it didn't break the screen, it's still working to this day. Had to get a new battery tho.

All around the Driods and I phones are CUTE!!!

End result I will pay for Visual VM and get another BB phone in a few months.
    03-14-11 08:29 PM
    Quite frankly, you could make any of them work for you. They all have good and bad qualities. I am biased to bb, I own a business as well and use mine hard for communication and my bb's have yet to let me down. You're an electrical contractor so I imagine you'll be out on job sites all day so I would get a device with good battery life that lasts all day. I know bb does that as good or better than others...I just can't imagine (as a former electrical contractor myself) what you would need that blackberry wouldn't provide.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    69 Charger RT likes this.
    03-14-11 09:34 PM
    Use google voice for the BB. No need to use visual voice mail.

03-14-11 10:02 PM
    the current BB lineup on VZW sucks for touchscreens, if you want a touchscreen get an iphone or a thunderbolt that will be released on thursday
    03-14-11 10:07 PM
    Well, I guess not much input?? I was really hoping for some.

I am on my own.

I was hoping to be convinced to stay with a BB, TMelon thanx!!!

I have done alot reading and am going to get a torch or I might wait for the bold touch or a windows 7 phone.

I have gotten alot of questions answered by reading days & days of forums here.

Basically the conclusion I have is this:
    BB apps are lack luster.
    BB has the best email & messaging.
    BB has the best notifications & is the only one who pushes messages out to you. HHHHUUUGGGEEE!!!!!
    BB phones for the most part, are a solid device. I drove over my storm with my work truck and it didn't break the screen, it's still working to this day. Had to get a new battery tho.

All around the Driods and I phones are CUTE!!!

End result I will pay for Visual VM and get another BB phone in a few months.
    Sounds like you've pretty much answered your own questions better than anyone else could -- do your research, see what's going to work best for you, you'll get better insight than anybody else can give you. As soon as you pose the BB vs iPhone vs Android challenge, the pointless opinions and brand-bashing come out of the woodwork. I can sit here and tell you how great I think BB's are all day long, but it won't matter a whit if you're needs are different from mine.

I try to stay out of these discussions because there are just so many factors that go into what makes the best choice in a cell phone. In the end, it comes down to which device has the best features for what you need. As you've figured out, sometimes there's something to be said for solid, reliable and intuitive over a bleeding-edge spec sheet. The next round of BB's will narrow the gap on the latter for sure.

03-14-11 10:28 PM
    Thanx Slinky for the Google Visual VM idea.

I am interested in this feature as I have to store VM's sometimes for a week till I get into the office.
    How does the google work?
    I have been watchin the the peeps with there I phones use Visual VM and looks like an desirable app.
    03-14-11 10:47 PM
    Honestly GV is worth it's weight. It stores it as long as you want and you can SMS and everything. If you wanna save money you can even drop texting and use GV. If you use a BB still you can set up GVMax to text with it through Gtalk.

Honestly, play with each phone for a long while in the store. The thing about the iPhone is it's a screen keyboard which can or can't be a dealbreaker, but I must say the layout of that keyboard is very nice.
    03-15-11 04:28 AM
    If you're looking to move to the Torch, I'm assuming that you're also looking to move to AT&T?
    AT&T gives free visual voicemail, there is no fee.

03-15-11 06:32 AM
    I suspect that you'll like the torch comeing from a storm.I really like my Torch. I can't give you a reason to stay with Rim that someone can't get you 3 more to leave.if you like a touch blackberry I really think you'll like the Torch.

03-15-11 04:53 PM
    Sounds like you've pretty much answered your own questions better than anyone else could -- do your research, see what's going to work best for you, you'll get better insight than anybody else can give you. As soon as you pose the BB vs iPhone vs Android challenge, the pointless opinions and brand-bashing come out of the woodwork. I can sit here and tell you how great I think BB's are all day long, but it won't matter a whit if you're needs are different from mine.

I try to stay out of these discussions because there are just so many factors that go into what makes the best choice in a cell phone. In the end, it comes down to which device has the best features for what you need. As you've figured out, sometimes there's something to be said for solid, reliable and intuitive over a bleeding-edge spec sheet. The next round of BB's will narrow the gap on the latter for sure.

Its scary how much sense you make! Wish there were more contributing members like yourself.

There used to be...ever since Andriod...went South! Way South! All about competition, but the Android users are almost as bad as the Apple fanboi's...actually may be worse sometimes.

03-15-11 04:58 PM
    Hi All,
    I will like some help. My contract has been up I have a 1st gen Storm, I like the phone.
    Heres my issues if I may. I have been watching and talking to several peeps.
    I am starting my own businees in the upcoming months. I need a phone and a cell provider that will keep me mobile, phone and pc, the company will be a small electrcial contractor to start with.

Why should I stay with RIM?
    Apples visual voice mail is free...... I want don't want to pay RIM $3.00
    RIM as a great email capbiliites.... The others suck???
    Who has better tethering.....
    Which phone has the best wifi and ease of use????

I have been doing research on the forums here and I am exhausted.
    I wish there was a website to compare everything truthfully without hype.

Thanx to all who can help....

Bob
    I am a small electrical contractor myself. My Verizon contract is comming due so I have been playing around with the idea of getting an android phone. In the end I think I will stick with a newer Blackberry. I like the email alert, instant email(ever need an email from someone in a hurry). The android touch screens I don't think were made for a jobsite(ever drop your phone while 8 feet up on a ladder). The Blackberry seems more rugged. I also like to come home at the end of the day and plug in my phone to the computer and the desktop manager instantly syncs to my Outlook. Why sync to gmail and then your phone. Although i heard HTC Sync will allow you to do that also with any HTC phone. Good luck on your business.
    03-15-11 05:28 PM
    Man this small business thing. Alot to do.....
    Just got done with my Quickbooks class, I'm an Low Voltage electrician not a darn accountant.

Anyhow I have read the comments and want to do a shout out of thanx to all who posted.
    - Bold to the max - I agree and thanx.
    - 18to12fitty - I needed the wake up call, I was getting caught in functional vs cute.
    - 13echo4 - Really the torch?? ooooorrr should IIIII wait for the bold touch. Thank you.
    - manoman - Love the screen name. Yes I have thought about AT&T, I stopped by Big Red on my way home and they told me the Iphone from them also had free Visual VM but not for Blackberry is AT&T free for both???
    - Thornm - Thanx.
    - Slinky & masterobvious - Hey can't wait to get the Google app.
    - K bear - thanx for the website
    - Fuzzy B & spaky223 - Well sparkys thank you for the info from my fellow tradesmen. It has helped

Good night to All on the forums, I'm tired. Thank you again and if I missed someone I am sorry.....
    03-15-11 10:34 PM
    Thanx Slinky for the Google Visual VM idea.

I am interested in this feature as I have to store VM's sometimes for a week till I get into the office.
    How does the google work?
    I have been watchin the the peeps with there I phones use Visual VM and looks like an desirable app.
    google voice is HORRIBLE for visual voice mail, ive never seen anything so inaccurate in my life, its a joke, dont count on or rely on that to sway you at all.
    03-15-11 11:13 PM
    I've owned all 3 and i like BB the best.
    But thats just me, i dont use the 300 trillions apps apple and android offer.
    I just use text, call, facebook and bbm mainly, so my blackberry does it for me.
    03-16-11 01:55 AM
    - manoman - Love the screen name. Yes I have thought about AT&T, I stopped by Big Red on my way home and they told me the Iphone from them also had free Visual VM but not for Blackberry is AT&T free for both???
    Yep, I believe that AT&T offers free Visual Voicemail to all of it's customers.
    I know that I have the Torch and it was a free download for me.

03-16-11 05:19 AM
    Definitely pick the specific phone for each category, so you have it narrowed down to 3 choices, then read up on reviews of each and compare/contrast based on your own usage concerns.
    03-16-11 12:26 PM
    Well you ARE on a BlackBerry Forum! Get the BlackBerry!
    03-16-11 02:58 PM
    Well you ARE on a BlackBerry Forum! Get the BlackBerry!

Hear hear!
    I agree whole heartedly!

03-16-11 03:09 PM
    Hi, iv had two Bb's now (stil got one) and iphone 3g and now got iphone 4. i would choose iphone everytime out of the two.
    03-16-11 05:41 PM
    Having switched from an iPhone 4 after having it for a few days(and still being within the 15 day exchange period) I went ahead and got the BB 9930 Curve. Although the iPhone 4 has alot of apps that you might like and they might come in useful the downside that I noticed is the noticeable battery life and just how quickly it drains. I know this is based on the usage but even through normal use it wasn't working for me. Having had the bb for two days, I find the battery lasts noticeably longer which is a definite plus. Also email, messaging on this is a huge plus. Possibly trying out some of the different options for phones in the store might help decide which option works out better for you.
    03-18-11 05:17 PM
30 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD