Ok, so I've been a BB user and cell phone user for years now. I have both a Telus and Rogers phone (cdma and gsm). I have even developed a few apps for the BB. So why is it that I can download video's, play games, even map my own location in a photo but I can't get simple Name Display like I can with a landline?

If you have name display (not the one that uses your address book) please respond here or even post a picture of your screen.

It is my belief that if Name Display really doesn't exist on cell phones like it does on landlines then it would be a killer app. Similar to the intermitant wiper blade was for cars.

What do you think? tired of doing a reverse look-up after somebody called? And dam it why does my cell phone not come up with my name instead of "wireless-carrier-telus" or whatever. When you think about it, it's bull right?
    02-15-10 04:13 PM
    I like that it doesn't show my name I prefer it that way
    02-15-10 04:24 PM
    Yes but that is a feature you can add on later just like you can on your landline.
    02-15-10 04:33 PM
    Simplified answer...

When a call is made only the phone number is known. Even with landlines only the phone number is known, however your landline provider can query a database to extract the name of the phone number's owner and send that information to your Caller-ID device. Your landline provider is charged a fee each time they query that database, hence the reason Caller-ID with a Name attached is a service you have to pay for. Cellular providers could do this as well, however since cell numbers are not publicly listed there is a presumption that most of your incoming calls will likely be in your phone's own database (your contact list), which would likely result in not enough subscribers paying for the Named Caller-ID feature to offset the provider's cost to query a database.
    02-15-10 04:42 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD