What do you think is the most popular Blackberry device? I have a storm and it seems like that is pretty popular, but I'm sure it's not the most popular one.

What do you think?
    03-21-10 01:34 AM
    That is a loaded question but in pure numbers, I would guess 8300 series
    03-21-10 01:38 AM
    in terms of shear numbers, im sure the 8300 series is the most popular. more specifically, the 8330. its a reliable, yet cheaper device that lots of companies use. most people i meet still use an 8300 series blackberry. part of this is because its been out for about 3 yrs now and has just recently begun to be pulled from carrier websites. its days are numbered now since newer, much better devices are out and beginning the flood the market.
    03-21-10 01:40 AM
    Blackberries are becoming popular in general, there popping up everywhere.
    yeah, I guess that is a loaded question. The curve is another popular device... hmmm there has to be some sales numbers out there somewhere.
    03-21-10 01:52 AM
    nice find.
    03-21-10 01:56 AM
    Interesting question, but as others have pointed out, ya' gotta define "popular." It could be numbers or it could be "most easily recognized/heard of" or something else. I was curious enough to do a quick Google and learned that you guys are right, it was the Curve 8300 series, outselling the iPhone (I know...one carrier vs. multiple) and, combined with the other BBs, RIM was the largest manufacturer. This data was from early 2009 though, didn't see where things are at now. The Curve was #1, iPhone #2 and Storm, #3.

On the other hand, if you were in a stadium full of people between 20 - 60, and said "I just got a new curve.." there would be many who were not sure of what you were talking about. But, if you said "I just got a new iphone..." EVERYONE would know what you were referring to.

Update: Whoops, just went and read Chetan's post/link. Interesting, that article has slightly different numbers than the one I was reading (but mine was first quarter 2009 numbers and his were 8 months later, 4th Q). Here's the link I was going by: iPhone Outsold By BlackBerry Curve In U.S. Last Quarter
    Last edited by EnergyPlus; 03-21-10 at 02:20 AM.
    03-21-10 02:07 AM
    A large segment of the government sector is switching from the 88xx and the 83xx to the 85xx. I just one myself last month. My entire Division has switched, and I'd guess that the agency as a whole.
    Interesting to see if the 85xx outsells the 83xx.
    03-21-10 05:20 AM
    In terms of series, the Curve series by far. In terms of a single device, probably the Bold 9000. You have to remember that Japan for instance only have a single BlackBerry (officially) and that is the Bold 9000. Everywhere I've been to people immediately recognize the Bold 9000.
    03-21-10 07:12 AM
    Currently and future I would say the Curve 8520/30 series. The 83xx is becoming a dinosaur.
    03-21-10 07:31 AM
    Currently and future I would say the Curve 8520/30 series. The 83xx is becoming a dinosaur.
    i wouldnt say the 8500 series currently holds any popularity records yet. i see 10 times more Bolds and 8900's than 8520/30's. it may be a great contender in the future because its an entry level phone at a decent price with great features like the 8300 had.
    03-21-10 07:41 AM
    As a photographer in Las Vegas, I shoot a fair number of events where hundreds, if not thousands, of people from across the country (and the world for that matter) attend. Being something of a "phone geek" I am always noticing what phones people are using. Of course, the vast majority of times, when someone is using a "smart phone" it will be an iPhone. Next on the list is Curves, but I'm beginning to notice a lot of Droid like devices and sometimes, phones I don't even recognize, lol. When you go to a conference though, it is interesting to see that there seems to be a preponderance of smart phones in general, compared to what you see "out in the world." No doubt, that's because I'm in a business environment rather than a general public one. I think the numbers will be very interesting to view during the 2nd quarter of this year.
    03-21-10 01:23 PM
    There is another vector to consider, many corporations issue Blackberries to their employees (or some subset of same), those companies are likely to standardize on one or two specific Blackberry models, which will pump up sales figures for those models. Does that make them "popular"? Would those BB users if given the choice of any phone in the market pick the same model phone?
    Given that, raw sales numbers might not be the best measure.
    03-21-10 01:39 PM
    Definitely the 8300 series just by the numerous number of carriers that have/had it.
    03-21-10 01:42 PM
    Whenever this question comes up the 83xx is usually cited as the most popular.
    This ignores the fundamental question of which is THE most popular. A series
    comprised of four phones can't / shouldn't be considered the most popular unit.
    03-21-10 02:57 PM
    Very true, but if you read the two articles posted, I think you'll find the answer to the specific device!

Whenever this question comes up the 83xx is usually cited as the most popular.
    This ignores the fundamental question of which is THE most popular. A series
    comprised of four phones can't / shouldn't be considered the most popular unit.
    03-21-10 04:37 PM
    Very true, but if you read the two articles posted, I think you'll find the answer to the specific device!
    I did read them both and there is no answer to the "which device" question.

- From the article you posted (mirrors the other article)
    1. RIM BlackBerry Curve (all 83XX models)
    {Does not break down the 8300, 8310, 8320, 8330
    2. Apple iPhone 3G (all models)
    3. RIM BlackBerry Storm
    4. RIM BlackBerry Pearl (all models, except flip)
    {Does not break down the 8100, 8110, 8120, 8230}
    There is no denying the overall sales and popularity of the BB is nothing
    short of impressive. I am still interested in how the individual units perform
    in the smartphone market.

Items in maroon are my emphasis and not from the articles
    03-21-10 07:13 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD