Reading this forum for more than a month now, I'm gonna try to summarize, what most BB users want. Let me know or add to the list as you wish.

I also think, the list below would also help RIM tremendously to regain the popularity and give a solid stance to fight at all the competition.

1. BB users do not exactly want an iPhone-

They want a

a. competitive hardware (screen resolution, processing power, Higher Res camera, touch screen functionality etc )

b. and software (reliable operating system, good internet browser, good and quality useful apps)

while still remaining a Blackberry with all bells and whistles of a BB.
    They don't want Steve Jobs, they don't want itunes, they don't want to be locked into a separate world of madness-like electro-tunnel-vision, where everything else beside an Apple logo are blurry and ceases to exist.

2. BB users don't want an Android phone

They want a

a. phone, that is a BB, with the ease of use and speed and efficiency of an Android phone.

3. BB users do not want a

a. BB flip phone that has the same specifications (or lower) as an every day flip phone . There are 100 thousands of non BB flip phones to choose from with similar features and capability as a BB flip phone (aiming at the Style)

b. A BB touchscreen only phone, that has same specs or (lower) than any other touchscreen only phone and I could easily pick a much better (and yet similarly priced) touchscreen only phone than the BB's version (Storm2, Torch).

c. A BB slide phone, that is just eeringly similar to another (Palm Pre) but outdated phone, with functionality, shape and specifications.

What BB users (fans, newcomers) would want:

A BB phone, that is not BB, because it carries the same hardware inside as another BB 3 years ago, but a BB that competes with the competition in hardware specs, functionality, software and 3rd party support.

But even just being just like the others is not enough. You have to offer something unique, that separates BB from the rest, -and again- not by religiously cringing to what made BB successful 3-4-5 years ago, but by offering something that no others offer, and if I go to the store and look at the phones, something would catch my attention of a BB, that sets it apart.

my 2 cents.
    Last edited by Shodan775; 11-21-10 at 01:40 AM.
    11-21-10 01:36 AM
    I want a decent browser. Automatic HTML emails that aren't truncated. Good battery life.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    11-21-10 02:13 AM
    I don't use e-mail so that's not the selling proposition for me. Instead, what got me hooked was 3 main things:

a) stability - my Bold 9000 never froze on me
    3) speed - I've never used another phone that is as fast as this Bold 9000, the speed of which I go through the menus is just... INSTANT.
    4) keypad quality - I type on it as fast as I type on a normal chicklet netbook keyboard - no other QWERTY offered me this.

But all in all, your pretty much 100% to the point with this post. Indeed that is what most of us want.
    11-21-10 02:17 AM
    I don't use e-mail so that's not the selling proposition for me. Instead, what got me hooked was 3 main things:

a) stability - my Bold 9000 never froze on me
    3) speed - I've never used another phone that is as fast as this Bold 9000, the speed of which I go through the menus is just... INSTANT.
    4) keypad quality - I type on it as fast as I type on a normal chicklet netbook keyboard - no other QWERTY offered me this.

But all in all, your pretty much 100% to the point with this post. Indeed that is what most of us want.
    I'm a new Blackberry owner. This Curve 3G does everything I need it to. I use
    Google Maps a lot, I love the speech recognition of the program,it works flawlessly. I like the large,clear screen, it's large compared to my old Sony Ericsson. I had a Samsung Jack and a Nokia E71x and they both have serious software flaws where features on the phones stopped working shortly after I got them and so I got rid of both of them. The BB OS is very stable and that's much more important to me than the latest wow factor app. The BB App Store has a great selection of apps imho. This phone always works for me, I can really depend on it, I love it.

11-21-10 10:51 AM
    1. BB users do not exactly want an iPhone-

They want a

a. competitive hardware (screen resolution, processing power, Higher Res camera, touch screen functionality etc )

b. and software (reliable operating system, good internet browser, good and quality useful apps)
    I suspect very few BB users actually care about the hardware specs, the BB Enthusiasts from this site maybe,
    Hardware wise I want minimal light leakage, crisp easy to see screen, and no lag when performing every day tasks, whilst maintaining a full work day of battery life under heavy textual usage. do so with what ever specs it takes, STOP publishing the processor speed, and such.

as for Software I want way more than a good internet browser, I want to see a change in the way BIS/BES operates, I want a user defined email size limit, not a RIM defined, email size limit, I want to control when emails get truncated, if at all, the software side of things I could go on and on about, but BIS functionality is something that seems to be a universal complaint beyond just enthusiasts. Apps, are not even on my radar, and again are not on the radar of the bulk of Blackberry users, since a Bulk of us on our corporate phones can't put Apps on anyway, we want core functionality.

2. BB users don't want an Android phone

They want a

a. phone, that is a BB, with the ease of use and speed and efficiency of an Android phone.
    I already have that don't I? what does am Android do more efficiently than a BB with the exception of surf the Internet?
    Nothing about Android is attractive to me currently. I don't see how it is more efficient at the core tasks of a Messaging tool, emailing from NON gmail accounts, high priority messaging within the company, phone calls,

3. BB users do not want a

a. BB flip phone that has the same specifications (or lower) as an every day flip phone . There are 100 thousands of non BB flip phones to choose from with similar features and capability as a BB flip phone (aiming at the Style)
    What Flip phones have BBM? and push email notification?
    The Clam shell form factor is one that smartphones neglect, it is a market that RIM can capture, a flip phone user is most likely NOT a touch screen user, they want something they can't pocket/purse dial, and something that will allow them to communicate easily with friends/family/coworkers, if your ecosystem is full of Blackberry's and you are a clam shell fan you can finally drop the Pearl flip,
    Good move RIM!

b. A BB touchscreen only phone, that has same specs or (lower) than any other touchscreen only phone and I could easily pick a much better (and yet similarly priced) touchscreen only phone than the BB's version (Storm2, Torch).
    See Clam shell argument, + See first comment that specs don't NEED to matter if they can deliver a lag free experience, they need to take that spec race game off the table, like apple, since they will never beat the development time of Android based manufacturers.

c. A BB slide phone, that is just eeringly similar to another (Palm Pre) but outdated phone, with functionality, shape and specifications.
    I couldn't wait for my "outdated phone" it does mostly what I need, their isn't another phone on the market that can offer me what the Torch does, if it came with a faster processor, then I would have less battery life, as it is, it JUST makes it through what I want it too, it would have to be a much heavier device, I feel as do 100,000+ users the Torch is a fantastic device, it is only because of iPhones massive sales success that 100,000+ happy users is considered a failure.

A BB phone, that is not BB, because it carries the same hardware inside as another BB 3 years ago, but a BB that competes with the competition in hardware specs, functionality, software and 3rd party support.

But even just being just like the others is not enough. You have to offer something unique, that separates BB from the rest, -and again- not by religiously cringing to what made BB successful 3-4-5 years ago, but by offering something that no others offer, and if I go to the store and look at the phones, something would catch my attention of a BB, that sets it apart.

my 2 cents.
    Your 2 cents are very much what you want.
    I would be glad to keep the same hardware in my torch, or even my tour if the software was more efficient and could do more with less I would be happy with the current software, and those people who buy laptops that are not top of the line, clearly don't only care about specs, if the phone gets the job done, there is little need to change everything just to match the competition.
    11-21-10 11:52 AM

The hardware in my 2 year old Pearl is well behind the state of the art. Does that mean my Pearl is obsolete? No.

Does it mean I am looking forward to my next upgrade? Three years and a quantum leap: bring on the QNX, Flash enabled, triple core, 1080p, 3D in all the form factors.
    11-21-10 12:19 PM
    I do like the proposal of user-defined size limits, and core app functionality. Wireless tether shouldn't be too hard to do on a BB, either.
    11-21-10 01:29 PM
    The hardware in my 2 year old Pearl is well behind the state of the art. Does that mean my Pearl is obsolete? No.

Does it mean I am looking forward to my next upgrade? Three years and a quantum leap: bring on the QNX, Flash enabled, triple core, 1080p, 3D in all the form factors.
    Pure brutal efficiency and functionality, combined with stability and zero bugs which impair function.

Monobloc format, no hinges or sliders to break. Physical keyboard and screen adequate for the job (put touchscreen where the monkey put the nuts and who cares about megapixel resolution... human eyes can't see the individual dots anyway). Battery life to do a hard day under adverse conditions. If that means limited processor speed I'm fine with that because the processor on 3 year old phones is still faster than the cellular network.

Software... I need little beyond core BB apps, and certainly nothing critical. My phone *must* do reliable email, calendar, memo pad - and above all, voice and SMS which is very much alive in my business world. BBM is a bonus for social contact and talking to colleagues when we have data but no voice service.

Data service... RIM meets the requirement. Highly efficient, compressed data is perfect when I travel overseas. Roaming data is expensive and I need it to complete the job. Strangely I have only encountered 3 truncated emails in 2 years, and I was rather pleased they got stopped. Some moronic half-witted Idiot made 3 attempts to send the same technical manual while I was roaming. I was going to read it on PC anyway when I got back to the hotel wifi, so the stoppage saved almost $400 in data charges.

What don't I need... Multimedia, I don't want to watch videos on a tiny screen, and if I'm travelling I will catch up on work or sleep. Notebook replacement, if I need that I need the big screen anyway - did anyone try reading electronic circuit drawings meant for A3 paper, on a phone screen? Fart apps and other crap.... Erm Apple gimmicks... Never.

The bottom line is I need a heavy duty communications device and BlackBerry has excelled at meeting the need. I have just retired a Bold 9000 after 2 years good service. The successor is a 9700 and shows similar promise.

11-21-10 01:59 PM
    what i really want from a phone is signal strenght..and BB Bold 9700 has already given me that..never had an SOS with these BB..and now what i want is for my BB to last..2 years without a problem will make me satisfied..

peace..
    11-21-10 02:05 PM
    ...a 4.3 or BIGGER screen!
    11-21-10 02:16 PM
    I want a decent browser. Automatic HTML emails that aren't truncated. Good battery life.

thats all i would really need to make this phone perfect. if it had thhat i wouldnt look at another phone. maybe a little bit of a stronger radio for the signal but i wont be picky
    11-21-10 03:05 PM
    Great thread and responses guys. I actually agree that they could beef up the processor a bit, but the interface is top notch.

The storm is really the one that needs the biggest overhaul IMO but I think if and when it comes it will have qnx and if that is the next step RIM is taking then they will soon be not only up to par, but exceeding others like android.

The thing I trust RIM will always do is stay true to the core BB user while getting others involved in the future.
    11-21-10 07:00 PM
    And this rim user wants a touchscreen bold with qnx... That would be my end all, be all phone and would cherish it like a new car.
    11-21-10 07:03 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD