Noob alert.

So I was using desktop manager and at the bottom left there is an option that says "Mobile Internet". Does this mean I can access internet on my computer through the 3G service on my phone? Is there any extra cost? Thanks
    09-08-11 02:23 PM
    Yes, you can use your phone as a modem for your laptop and access the internet pretty much anywhere you have cell service. I do this all the time. It does count against your data plan though and you can rack up data usage from your webbrowser on your laptop pretty quickly if you're not careful. Just keep an eye on your data usage. I have a 6GB plan and do this all the time and I still have not eclipsed the 3GB mark.
    09-08-11 02:41 PM
    Ok but this isn't mobile hotspot correct? I have an unlimited data plan with sprint so if what you're saying is correct, there is absolutely no charge for me?
    09-08-11 05:24 PM
    It's not the same as Mobile Hotspot, correct.

And Unlimited Data on Sprint typically does not include tethering your computer. Typically, that requires an add-on tethering plan.
    09-08-11 05:35 PM
    Yes, you can use your phone as a modem for your laptop and access the internet pretty much anywhere you have cell service. I do this all the time. It does count against your data plan though and you can rack up data usage from your webbrowser on your laptop pretty quickly if you're not careful. Just keep an eye on your data usage. I have a 6GB plan and do this all the time and I still have not eclipsed the 3GB mark.
    What carrier do you use out of curiosity that you have a 6GB data plan?
    09-08-11 06:15 PM
    All 3 Major Canadian Carriers have offered a 6GB plan at once time or another in the last 3 years.

though Currently I believe only Rogers Has said Plan available
    09-08-11 08:36 PM
    I'm currently with Bell and have had a 6GB plan for the past 1.5 years. It comes available every once in a while and costs $30/month.

This data (under my contract with Bell) can be used to tether for no additional charge. Not sure what other carriers' rules are re: tethering.

the catch is that you have to have your phone connected via the data cable - so it's not wireless. This is different from "mobile hotspot" which turns your phone into a router for (typically) up to 5 different devices (labtops, phones, tablets, etc.)at one time.

Hopefully with a future update (as rumoured), they will allow the 9900 to be a "mobile hotspot" as this will be a much easier way to access the internet with my laptop when needed.
    09-09-11 04:14 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD