Hello fellow crackberries

This is my first post and I am buying a Bold 9900 tomorrow. I have used every mobile OS on planet earth except for BB. My question to gurus over here is a simple one.

Tomorrow I have a friend who will sell me his brand new 9900 for a cheap price. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for in that phone while buying. Of course I can look at hardware damage externally, but apart from that what else should be there with the phone?. Is it that there should be a certain number with every phone that comes on the box? Should that number (not IMEI) match with phone?. How can I know its not stolen?.

I hope i get some tips before my purchase tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance
    10-01-12 05:28 AM
    Every BB gets a PIN number, there is a sticker under the battery with that number. It should match the PIN on the BB's software. If it activates, chances are it's not stolen, at least not reported yet, other then that I don't think that there is much you can do. Also, make sure all the numbers on that sticker, like the PIN, IMEI, and SN match what the software says.
    chaihg likes this.
    10-01-12 05:55 AM
    youll need a bolt on tariff or blackberry add on contract if you want to use some features so dont mistake that for the phone being barred, if it rings and texts out then it isnt barred, you can check its history and if its clean or not on checkmend.

check over all features like the camera, speakers, earphone jack and if it charges

try to meet in a phone store or your carriers phone store so you can both swap there and the guy cant claim it stolen later

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    chaihg likes this.
    10-01-12 07:26 AM
    Thanks and kudos for the help. I will try to get a blackberry plan before hand and see if I can use some services on the new phone. BB pin is something i will also look at.

Thanks again. .
    10-01-12 09:14 AM
    Do you have the same carrier as the person selling it to you? I ask this because there's another simple test you can do to confirm it's not a hot phone: put an active SIM (with a BIS plan provisioned) in the phone, and BBM someone you know. If the phone's IMEI or PIN is blocked, the message will not go through. If you guys both have the same carrier, this test will be an instant confirmation. If you're on another carrier, it's possible that down the line your friend's carrier could contact your carrier and have the phone blocked (if it's stolen/not paid for, and if there is inter-carrier communication in your country.)

Also, to be extra careful, make sure the IMEI doesn't start with a 0044. The phones that do are RIM test/prototype units and may or may not have their PINs blocked. But these are very rare.
    chaihg likes this.
    10-01-12 01:40 PM
    Do you have the same carrier as the person selling it to you? I ask this because there's another simple test you can do to confirm it's not a hot phone: put an active SIM (with a BIS plan provisioned) in the phone, and BBM someone you know. If the phone's IMEI or PIN is blocked, the message will not go through. If you guys both have the same carrier, this test will be an instant confirmation. If you're on another carrier, it's possible that down the line your friend's carrier could contact your carrier and have the phone blocked (if it's stolen/not paid for, and if there is inter-carrier communication in your country.)

Also, to be extra careful, make sure the IMEI doesn't start with a 0044. The phones that do are RIM test/prototype units and may or may not have their PINs blocked. But these are very rare.
    Thats awesome tip Raino. Thank you very much. I will try to get onto a BB plan as soon as possible and have asked my carrier to do it today. Never knew about this 044 IMEI thing. Thanks a lot
    10-01-12 01:47 PM
    Hello fellow crackberries

This is my first post and I am buying a Bold 9900 tomorrow. I have used every mobile OS on planet earth except for BB. My question to gurus over here is a simple one.

Tomorrow I have a friend who will sell me his brand new 9900 for a cheap price. The problem is that I have no idea what to look for in that phone while buying. Of course I can look at hardware damage externally, but apart from that what else should be there with the phone?. Is it that there should be a certain number with every phone that comes on the box? Should that number (not IMEI) match with phone?. How can I know its not stolen?.

I hope i get some tips before my purchase tomorrow.
    Thanks in advance
    If your buying from a friend I would hope your friend wouldn't sell you a stolen or broken unit.
    Because if said friend would then I think the best advice anyone could give you would be to find a new friend.
    Good luck and welcome to CB.
    chaihg likes this.
    10-01-12 01:52 PM
    Lol . . not exactly a friend to be specific. An acquaintance is a better word
    10-01-12 03:38 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD