So if the PB is going to be tethered to a BB via BT, what kind of transfer speeds will it be able to obtain? The transfer rates of BT should be well known but I have no idea. I know the few times I've sent files to other peoples BB's using BT it seems to be dreadfully slow, so I don't see how tethering this way will be advantageous.
    As well what about using say a BT headset on a call whilst trying to do something on the PB while its tethered. Are current BBs capable of handling multiple BT connections?

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    10-22-10 02:44 PM
    So if the PB is going to be tethered to a BB via BT, what kind of transfer speeds will it be able to obtain? The transfer rates of BT should be well known but I have no idea. I know the few times I've sent files to other peoples BB's using BT it seems to be dreadfully slow, so I don't see how tethering this way will be advantageous.
    As well what about using say a BT headset on a call whilst trying to do something on the PB while its tethered. Are current BBs capable of handling multiple BT connections?

well in the intro video, if it works as they say, it shows the blackberry screen change and then the playbook screen follows suit about .8 seconds later.
    10-22-10 09:14 PM
    Bluetooth 2.0/2.1 + EDR has a theoretical transfer speed of 3Mb/s, and an approximate real-world transfer speed of 2.1Mb/s (according to Wikipedia). 2.1Mb/s should be plenty for fast web browsing. It's not exactly blazing fast, but in practice even on a home connection you don't exceed 2-3Mb/s when loading pages (unless there's really large files or images).

There's always the possibility of a WiFi link though. Most BBs have WiFi, and the PlayBook will too. Bluetooth 3.0 allows speeds up to 24Mb/s where the Bluetooth link is used for session setup and management, and a parallel WiFi link is used for the data transfer. While neither BBs nor the PB support Bluetooth 3.0, that part of the specification could be backported as a proprietary RIM extension. There's nothing about it that would require new hardware, thought it might require an OS update for the BB.

The video was supposed to demonstrate the concept of device linking, not the actual implementation, as there really isn't anything to show for an actual implementation (Bluetooth is invisible). I'll be very surprised if changing what you're looking at on your BB affects the PB's screen, or vice versa. Expect it to just be a data link.
    10-22-10 09:34 PM
    Thanks for the reply. I didn't realize the transfer speeds with BT were that high.
    The BT 3.0 sounds interesting, as does the wifi pairing.
    If my Storm lasts long enough that I don't have to get a new BB phone I'm hoping to wait until the 3G or LTE equipped PBs ship. I really don't need a phone if the PB can handle that job too. I always use a BT headset or in car hands free. Worst case is cable connect headset. However if the Storm dies, I guess I'll get something that will tether to the PB when it comes out.

10-23-10 05:25 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD