Good to see all the ThinkPad users showing love!

BB and ThinkPads just go together...
    I was trying to buy a ThinkPad instead of the Dell I got. I was looking for a Business PC and I had a secret love affair with the ThinkPad though I never owned one. They wouldn't accept my CC though, probably because it's international. Discovered the HP Probooks, same issue. Discovered the Dell Precision and they shipped my order without even charging the card first . All in all I'm glad I ended up with the Dell.
    JR A likes this.
    12-09-12 07:38 PM
    Lol! Mmm I have 5 laptops right now,

A dell netbook, winxp + ubuntu
    An ASUS zenbook, win7
    An HP pavilion, win7
    2x hp elitebooks, winxp+7

And I have even more PCs. One dedicated to backups + media streaming has 30 TB in raid and uses Win8 (better streaming). This one I threw together a month or so ago mostly for Areca incremental backups and data archiving.

But I'm looking at putting down 3000 for a new custom laptop very soon.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9360 using Tapatalk
    12-09-12 07:57 PM
    You would likely be better served by a notebook computer under CAD/USD1000.00 and leverage your existing 3TB archival, streaming, and file storage computer system. Since migrating to a server-centric storage infrastructure for my network I have access to all my files from a multitude of devices. The silence of a quiet notebook computer, my smartphone and tablet is priceless and I find I am able to focus and think more clearly without the whirring fan(s) of a desktop computer system and/or those servers sitting in the same room. The servers are safely stored under the basement stairs in a small closet where the humidity and temperature are relatively constant year-round. In my home office peace and quiet reign supreme apart from the clickity-click of the keyboard and mouse.
    12-09-12 08:09 PM
    That looks like a 2011 MBP
    Thanks for the typo correction...it IS a 2011 lol
    12-09-12 08:58 PM
    I was trying to buy a ThinkPad instead of the Dell I got. I was looking for a Business PC and I had a secret love affair with the ThinkPad though I never owned one. They wouldn't accept my CC though, probably because it's international. Discovered the HP Probooks, same issue. Discovered the Dell Precision and they shipped my order without even charging the card first . All in all I'm glad I ended up with the Dell.
    Get the ThinkPad.

That is all.

Lol! Mmm I have 5 laptops right now,

A dell netbook, winxp + ubuntu
    An ASUS zenbook, win7
    An HP pavilion, win7
    2x hp elitebooks, winxp+7

And I have even more PCs. One dedicated to backups + media streaming has 30 TB in raid and uses Win8 (better streaming). This one I threw together a month or so ago mostly for Areca incremental backups and data archiving.

What are you going to use your custom laptop for? Any special focus?

Also, specs please.
    You would likely be better served by a notebook computer under CAD/USD1000.00 and leverage your existing 3TB archival, streaming, and file storage computer system. Since migrating to a server-centric storage infrastructure for my network I have access to all my files from a multitude of devices. The silence of a quiet notebook computer, my smartphone and tablet is priceless and I find I am able to focus and think more clearly without the whirring fan(s) of a desktop computer system and/or those servers sitting in the same room. The servers are safely stored under the basement stairs in a small closet where the humidity and temperature are relatively constant year-round. In my home office peace and quiet reign supreme apart from the clickity-click of the keyboard and mouse.
    Network storage with a solidly built server PC is the way to go, at least for me. Most of the time, I only need to access very few files. Movies/Video clips are stored to the hard drive. As well as music. However, with Spotify, I don't really need to store music anymore; I haven't paid for a song/album directly in a long time anyway. The important stuff, like documents/files, I have them backed up on my laptop hard drive as well as my desktop, and I also keep em stored in a third place in the cloud using SkyDrive. I prefer SkyDrive since it allows remote-desktop access to all computers you want, and you can either share all or only specific files/folders with the other SkyDrive linked computers.

Network storage would be ideal, but because I'm mobile a lot, I'd have to have 2 networks really - Home and Office.

I know it sounds crazy, but I'd love to have at least a 4TB network consisting of 6-8 SATA3 SSDs (or enterprise grade SAS SSDs) in RAID 0, running a mirrored back up of everything to SSDs in RAID 6 set up to back up at different intervals in the day/night, all patched together with 10Tbit ethernet cable... Lightnight fast read/write, with the peace of mind security.

Last edited by JRAnciano; 12-10-12 at 02:43 AM.
    12-10-12 02:31 AM
    I want a 16G with 1TG storage next!!!

Sent from my BlackBerry 9900 using Tapatalk
    12-10-12 03:42 AM
    I know it sounds crazy, but I'd love to have at least a 4TB network consisting of 6-8 SATA3 SSDs (or enterprise grade SAS SSDs) in RAID 0, running a mirrored back up of everything to SSDs in RAID 6 set up to back up at different intervals in the day/night, all patched together with 10Tbit ethernet cable... Lightnight fast read/write, with the peace of mind security.
    yea it sounds impressive, by why not just go for a raid 60 setup? (raid 6 plus stripe) you`d get the speed of raid0, along with the fault tolerance of raid 6. you`d obv need a decent raid card for that, but it would be better in the long term. as for `back up at different intervals` that`d also be pointless because raid 6 (or 60) has built in redundnancy for at least 2 drive failures.

In reality though id ditch SSD`s from a raid, as they arent really reliable enough, and going HDD will get you the same result either for a fraction of the price, or it`ll give you far more storage.
    As an example, for your proposed raid0 setup you`d need 8x 480gb drives, an intel cherryville 6g/s SSD is �480 in the uk, so for a 4Tb raid0 it`ll cost ya �3840.
    using HDD a WD caviar green 3Tb, 4 drives will cost you �440 total and give you 12Tb in raid 0.

As for raid60, with SSD`s youd need 12 500Gb drives to hit 4Tb or 8 3Tb HDD`s would give you 12Tb. for raid60 you need 8 drives btw.

Also, its funny this is a conversation, becuase last week i started building a raid calculator app for BB10
    12-10-12 05:28 AM
    I want a 16G with 1TG storage next!!!

If you go for something like that, find a latop that uses mSATA for the OS and then a HDD for everything else, currently it seems 32Gb mSATA is the norm with a 500Gb drive, but the HDD can be upgraded at least. that way your OS runs fast being on SSD and you have all the storage you need. best of both worls, and almost like your own `fusion` drive from apple (although thats SSD caching, but close lol).
    12-10-12 05:31 AM
    yea it sounds impressive, by why not just go for a raid 60 setup? (raid 6 plus stripe) you`d get the speed of raid0, along with the fault tolerance of raid 6. you`d obv need a decent raid card for that, but it would be better in the long term. as for `back up at different intervals` that`d also be pointless because raid 6 (or 60) has built in redundnancy for at least 2 drive failures.

In reality though id ditch SSD`s from a raid, as they arent really reliable enough, and going HDD will get you the same result either for a fraction of the price, or it`ll give you far more storage.
    As an example, for your proposed raid0 setup you`d need 8x 480gb drives, an intel cherryville 6g/s SSD is �480 in the uk, so for a 4Tb raid0 it`ll cost ya �3840.
    using HDD a WD caviar green 3Tb, 4 drives will cost you �440 total and give you 12Tb in raid 0.

As for raid60, with SSD`s youd need 12 500Gb drives to hit 4Tb or 8 3Tb HDD`s would give you 12Tb. for raid60 you need 8 drives btw.

Also, its funny this is a conversation, becuase last week i started building a raid calculator app for BB10
    If I was going to build my ideal networking set up, cost would be the last of my concerns. Even if it isn't too much of a performance upgrade to use SSDs from HDDs in RAID, I'd rather dish out the cash and get whatever performance increase I can.

Also, I'd use RAID 6 for my back up storage, located off away from the main server. That way with a main RAID 0 set up and a back up RAID 6, I'd need to have 4 drives fail in order to lose my data, instead of 3 with a RAID 60.

And, since money wouldn't be an issue, I'd have multiple farms backing up each other.

If you developed a RAID calculator for BB10, I'd use it. Although, for some reason I correlate tech/geek stuff like this with Android heads, not BB users. Then again, a fanatic in one thing usually leads to an obsession in another...

If you go for something like that, find a latop that uses mSATA for the OS and then a HDD for everything else, currently it seems 32Gb mSATA is the norm with a 500Gb drive, but the HDD can be upgraded at least. that way your OS runs fast being on SSD and you have all the storage you need. best of both worls, and almost like your own `fusion` drive from apple (although thats SSD caching, but close lol).

The next ThinkPad I buy will be using an mSATA card. I wouldn't get it from Lenovo since they charge a ridiculous price for a measly 16GB. I've seen 100+ GB mSATA going for around $100 on newegg...
    12-10-12 11:44 AM
    If you developed a RAID calculator for BB10, I'd use it. Although, for some reason I correlate tech/geek stuff like this with Android heads, not BB users. Then again, a fanatic in one thing usually leads to an obsession in another...
    Its near to done, so far i have raid 0, 1, 10 (and 0+1), 5 and 6 coded, the math behind it isnt the most simple to write into javascript, but its slowly getting there.

I can see why you`d go for SSD over HDD in a setup, i just dont think at the moment its worth it, if ya used HDD`s running 6gb/s youd probably have a great enough response, the only time you`d really see a difference is if a drive failed, as due to write speed the rebuild time for a SSD would (i imagine) be greatly reduced. although your raid card is gonna have more of a say in that i think.
    12-10-12 03:31 PM
    Its near to done, so far i have raid 0, 1, 10 (and 0+1), 5 and 6 coded, the math behind it isnt the most simple to write into javascript, but its slowly getting there.

I can see why you`d go for SSD over HDD in a setup, i just dont think at the moment its worth it, if ya used HDD`s running 6gb/s youd probably have a great enough response, the only time you`d really see a difference is if a drive failed, as due to write speed the rebuild time for a SSD would (i imagine) be greatly reduced. although your raid card is gonna have more of a say in that i think.
    I think SSDs don't do TRIM when in a RAID...
    12-10-12 04:06 PM

The fact that I can use SSDs over HDDs is what tickles my fancy and gives me a warm and fuzzy on the inside

I've always wanted my *dream computer* to be like ones you see in movies... So fast that when you click the mouse button down to open something, the application/file pops up before the mouse button goes back up. Or if I press the ENTER button to open something, and the file renders before the ENTER button goes back up

I think SSDs don't do TRIM when in a RAID...
    Yes, they do now.

EDIT: You're right, TRIM isn't set up for SSDs in RAID, but there are works in the process for Linux on SSDs in RAID.

Anyway, by the time I get money to build this dream set up, either the technology will allow it, or something better will be invented. Either way, if it gets me what I want, I'm happy
    12-10-12 04:36 PM
    Network storage would be ideal, but because I'm mobile a lot, I'd have to have 2 networks really - Home and Office.
    Depending on the way you want to access the internal files when you are connected to an external network it might be feasible to use port forwarding directed to a specific internal server. You can use the same network with appropriate security configuration or an entirely separate network to access the content. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.
    12-10-12 04:54 PM
    Depending on the way you want to access the internal files when you are connected to an external network it might be feasible to use port forwarding directed to a specific internal server. You can use the same network with appropriate security configuration or an entirely separate network to access the content. Both approaches have their advantages and disadvantages.
    I've considered that option as well. The thing that would hold me back is that I would want to be able to share *different* networks on my laptop. For instance, access some files at the office, but don't want said stuff on home server, and vice versa, yet also having the option to save said stuff on both servers. And then maybe have a "Grand-Daddy Server" that has all data from all my different networks.

It's weird but I actually get excited thinking about this stuff
    12-10-12 04:59 PM
    The fact that I can use SSDs over HDDs is what tickles my fancy and gives me a warm and fuzzy on the inside

I've always wanted my *dream computer* to be like ones you see in movies... So fast that when you click the mouse button down to open something, the application/file pops up before the mouse button goes back up. Or if I press the ENTER button to open something, and the file renders before the ENTER button goes back up

I know what you mean, a boot SSD is pretty much as fast as i need it, i can open my browser faster than my friends sgs3 does!!

for anyone wondering what we`re on about, check this out

For clarity though, these are i believe 3gb/s drives, with current tech you`d get 6gb/s which is circa 500mb/s compared to the 200 mentioned in the vid, so its concieveable done today this video setup could hit the high 3 or low 4 gig/s rates!

Also, if your using a mbp, ditch the cd drive, get a data doubler, get 2 SSD`s and run in a raid, OSX is stupidly fast then!
    JR A likes this.
    12-10-12 05:08 PM
    ^ I remember seeing that video earlier in the year!

And I said the same thing, that's with SATA2 speeds, just imagine SATA3!
    12-10-12 05:15 PM
    ^ I remember seeing that video earlier in the year!

And I said the same thing, that's with SATA2 speeds, just imagine SATA3!
    Yea, i have a friend running a mac pro in raid with 2 6gb/s SSD`s and he`s around the 1gig mark, so that samsung rig would be insane!
    JR A likes this.
    12-10-12 05:31 PM
    Re: 1000$ laptops and using storage:

I actually have a few in this range. The asus zenbook was more than it would probably be worth for some folks.

The problem I'm finding is resolution matters when programming. And smaller screen sizes is not great.

I'm shelling out 3k+ mostly on specs, the SSD is just 2x256 - I'm to cheap to go higher. Not intent on using it for games though but I'm impatient and low on time, so boot times and reaction times is getting *very* important.

On the "master server" (if you can call it that) I'm driving it off a single 128gb ssd, and the 30tb is split. One RAID 0 for media sharing + cifs, and one RAID 5 for the redundancy/backups and incremental archives.

Might seem like a strange drive combination, but being able to lose a drive is handy. And write times for me are less important as its capped @ ethernet anyway.

Once I find that perfect laptop --- ill post specs! Lovin the chat and loving hearing about ppls systems.

Ed

JR A likes this.
    12-10-12 07:45 PM
    One thing I love about ThinkPads is Lenovo's dedication to docking stations.

You're right that sometimes, like programming, you need a bigger screen. I love having the option to dock my ThinkPad and then connect a 27" screen or 50" TV to one of the ports on the dock.
    KermEd likes this.
    12-10-12 08:15 PM
    macbook pro. best for portability and multitasking when youre using a laptop instead of a desktop. the gestured are a godsend

12-10-12 08:38 PM
    Asus I forget the number
    Intel i7 quad core 2.7ghz processor
    16gb ram
    Nvidia 2gb dedicated ram videocard
    500gb hdd, soon to be switched out for something else, also using external 1TB hd
    Dualboot windows 7 and 8
    12-10-12 11:08 PM
    Lenovo thinkpad T400 14.1" screen
    Core2duo 2.24ghz
    320gb western digital black (want to swap with SSD)
    Dual boot camp win7 pro and win8 pro (both 64bit)
    8gb ram
    JR A likes this.
    12-10-12 11:14 PM
    I've considered that option as well. The thing that would hold me back is that I would want to be able to share *different* networks on my laptop. For instance, access some files at the office, but don't want said stuff on home server, and vice versa, yet also having the option to save said stuff on both servers. And then maybe have a "Grand-Daddy Server" that has all data from all my different networks.

It's weird but I actually get excited thinking about this stuff
    Sounds very much like role-based access control (RBAC).
    12-10-12 11:58 PM
    My laptop: MacBook Pro 15 inch , the last generation.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
    12-11-12 04:23 AM
    Dell Vostro 3300 (13in) i3 CPU running Slackware 14, Xubuntu and Win7. Audio piped to SoundFreaq Sound Kick via bluetooth.

12-11-12 10:27 AM
148 ... 23456