01-07-11 01:46 AM
84 1234
tools
    World events have demonstrated, when the network is overloaded, BlackBerry will be the last channel standing. That is why first responders carry BlackBerry now.

This is accurate only for those connected through a BES and is even then limited. If the network is down (sprint, att, verizon, etc), its down, period. The "type" of device does not matter.
    01-05-11 02:24 PM
    [QUOTE=Reed McLay;5924652]RIM convinced Ericsson to let them tweak the network settings, resulting in a huge increase in efficiency.
    QUOTE]

You are really reaching here man. You are quoting a document thats how many years old?
    01-05-11 02:28 PM
    As a sysadmin I prefer blackberries for the device security. Security wise iphones are a joke. I have used iOS, android, maemo and I came back to Blackberry and glad I did. The others weren't hard, I am a linux nut so I got to get real down and dirty with the android and the nokia n900. My wife has a bold 9000 which she got after I had gotten mine and now I am back on BB we can BBM again and save money.

My BB is the Storm 1 so even having a handset that hasn't got the best rep I still thoroughly enjoy using it, and can't wait to upgrade to something better. I am also keen to get a playbook for work.
    01-05-11 02:49 PM
    Keyboard - Bold Keyboard is far my favourite and best IMO
    BBM & MSN - I use MSN a lot same with BBM

I just love my blackberry so darn addicting!
    01-05-11 02:54 PM
    RIM convinced Ericsson to let them tweak the network settings, resulting in a huge increase in efficiency.
    You are really reaching here man. You are quoting a document thats how many years old?
    About a year, it is from a post in our blog and it draws on the content of Canadian historian and author Alastair Sweeny ... Called BlackBerry Planet: The Story of Research in Motion and the Little Device that Took the World by Storm.

The BlackBerry network has evolved from and been optimized for this purpose.

If the network is down (sprint, att, verizon, etc), its down, period. The "type" of device does not matter.
    The critical point is, when the network is so degraded by node failures and a panic of calling, BlackBerry still works.

In a non-emergency situation, if you find yourself enjoyinng the wonders of the back country, where service is badly degraded, it would be a wise to have a BlackBerry on hand.

01-05-11 02:58 PM
    I love Blackberry because of Blackberry Messenger, you can text for free
    01-05-11 03:17 PM
    I like the push mail, BBM, the keyboard, and it was free without extending my contract.
    01-05-11 03:27 PM

The critical point is, when the network is so degraded by node failures and a panic of calling, BlackBerry still works.

In a non-emergency situation, if you find yourself enjoyinng the wonders of the back country, where service is badly degraded, it would be a wise to have a BlackBerry on hand.

Blackberrys depend on network strength just like any other device. If a network is down/degraded, Blackberry devices suffer like all the rest. Maybe more, maybe less, but they do suffer. They are not all mighty. I have been in MANY situations where my BB does not work but other devices do. Is it a device problem, probably not, its a network problem. There's my point. You're making statements that are just not true. Blackberry is not the Mecca of devices, if it were EVERYONE would see it and jump on the bandwagon. Blackberrys do what they do well, but they are not the best for everyone.
    01-05-11 03:46 PM
    Just for fun i will take some points brought up and use my experience for both android and BB

battery
    Incredible 50+ hours on 1 charge
    storm 1/2 only got 38 max

email push
    Incredible has gmail, yahoo, hotmail, activesync and exchange ALL set up for instant push
    BB has MOST email for push but some are actually on 10-15 polling. hotmail i think is actually delayed now and i know my work was also. So my android actually does hotmail and my work email FASTER.

Profiles
    BB more built in flexibility
    Android can do this with an app just like a BB

Autotext
    again BB is better out of the box but android has many keyboard options that have great autotext capabilities.

Keyboard
    physical keyboards for BB are better than the droid pro probably, i never use a keyboard BB though
    I can still use a storm 2 and type better and faster with the surepress and suretype technology. That is one thing i love about it.
    Swype is awesome though once you get used to it. faster than most any other virtual keyboard set out there i think.

app/games
    no contest, android and apple dominate. there is nothing that you cant find out there. most are cheaper and much better quality over any BB version out there. Facebook is kinda lacking for android but the added push notifications now make the android version quite a bit better than it was.

Just my thoughts but right now there is nothing that a BB can do that cant be done on my android phone and most times better. For me atleast. BBM doesnt even matter, everyone can also use gtalk also. Most people have BBM lists that have shrunk alot in the past 2 years so most people also use gtalk already.

There is nothing that BB has right now to keep me and alot of other people. they need to step up the game and come up with something that can compete again....unless they just dont want to compete in the US anymore, which they can take that route if they want i guess too.
    01-05-11 03:49 PM
    Blackberrys depend on network strength just like any other device. If a network is down/degraded, Blackberry devices suffer like all the rest. Maybe more, maybe less, but they do suffer. They are not all mighty. I have been in MANY situations where my BB does not work but other devices do. Is it a device problem, probably not, its a network problem. There's my point. You're making statements that are just not true. Blackberry is not the Mecca of devices, if it were EVERYONE would see it and jump on the bandwagon. Blackberrys do what they do well, but they are not the best for everyone.
    I am not suggesting that a BlackBerry will have voice service in extreme conditions, but I am confidant the messaging component works when all else fails. The book I mentioned earlier, has an in depth discussion of the consequences and experiences of that infamous day in history, 9/11/01.

In my own experience, I use Email and Messenger when other devices have no reliable service.
    01-05-11 03:58 PM
    About a year, it is from a post in our blog and it draws on the content of Canadian historian and author Alastair Sweeny ... Called BlackBerry Planet: The Story of Research in Motion and the Little Device that Took the World by Storm.

The BlackBerry network has evolved from and been optimized for this purpose.

Reed, livin in the Boondocks like I am the service is pretty much always available but when it comes to data it tends to fade but I can still make calls.

• What keeps me with BlackBerry is:
      Security
      Reliability
      Durability
      Ease of use
      Hybrids
      Instant Email
      BBM
      Essex's keyboard/form factor
      Antenna
      Screen resolution
      TrackPad
      PTT
      Fellow BB fiends/CB community

That is all for right now!

Thnx, Tripster

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    01-05-11 04:02 PM
    I stay with blackberry because its professional at communicating period... Email, sms, mms, instant msg, and bbm that's all I do, I don't talk on my phone maybe 500 minutes a month and that's including nights and weekends... But messaging in general and facebook and crackberry is what I do all the time on my bb.. I hate trying to type on a touchscreen phone they just don't suit me like my awesome curve 3G does.. So bb I will stay.. I have a ipod touch for my apps, games and music needs :-p plus the battery life u can beat with any other smartphone out there.. I am very satisfied customer..

Blackberry user for 3 years! (8300,8330,9330)

Last edited by jlarkins08; 01-05-11 at 04:07 PM.
    01-05-11 04:03 PM
    I am not suggesting that a BlackBerry will have voice service in extreme conditions, but I am confidant the messaging component works when all else fails. The book I mentioned earlier, has an in depth discussion of the consequences and experiences of that infamous day in history, 9/11/01.

In my own experience, I use Email and Messenger when other devices have no reliable service.
    Better hope there's not a BIS outage...

Regular devices should theoretically more reliable since they only have to worry about the cell network as opposed to worrying about the cell network and RIM's network.
    01-05-11 04:07 PM

Regular devices should theoretically more reliable since they only have to worry about the cell network as opposed to worrying about the cell network and RIM's network.
    Well given there's only one server apparently to house everyone on BIS, a DDoS attack should bring it down to its knees for a few days. Not recommending it mind, if BIS goes so does my BBM, email, FB, MSN, etc. I'll be left with a dumbphone.
    01-05-11 04:11 PM

Fortunatly for me, BIS outages are rare events and scheduled outages are planned for middle of the night to minimize disruption. A couple years back, a scheduled maintance outage was posponed due to massive flooding in the Mid-West.

It took a tragedy to get the BlackBerry to launch velocity, and
    it happened suddenly, on September 11, 2001.
    During the horrific attacks that day in New York and
    Washington, the only people trapped in the World Trade Center’s
    Twin Towers who were able to contact their loved ones after cell
    service failed were those with BlackBerrys. Police, firefighters, and
    ambulance drivers and U.S. Vice President **** Cheney all used
    their BlackBerry devices during the crisis.
    According to a RIM insider at the time, “During 9/11, RIM
    staff were PINning [messaging] the **** out of the Mobitex and
    DataPac networks used by people with BlackBerrys caught in the
    towers, while the support workers relied on them to communicate
    even while the regular cell lines were dead. The text network survived
    while the cell network died because it was barely used and
    signal strength was possible from remote nodes.”*
    Throughout the evacuation and collapse of the Twin Towers
    and during the surge in traffic, Cingular kept its text-only Mobitex
    network running despite losing many base stations in lower
    Manhattan. While slow at 12.5 kilobits per second, Mobitex on
    BlackBerrys kept running while others failed because it did not
    have to share precious bandwidth with voice. Also, even if an
    e-mail got delayed because of network congestion, it was queued
    and sent just a few seconds later.
    First responders know and trust BlackBerry.
    01-05-11 04:19 PM
    I have recently had the discussion w/ my sister-in-law who is my cell co. Rep and she was trying to get me to go w/ the new galaxy. Great processor and all. Bunch of apps, etc. Really, is getting to a web page before i blink different than after i blink? Email @blackberry.com i superior to all. If i want touch screen i'll go storm2 or torch. I will not change from my bb........... Oh yeah, no virus protection needed either.
    01-05-11 04:34 PM
    Email, keyboard, security, and the ability to quickly change themes and wallpaper
    01-05-11 05:31 PM
    Love the physical keyboard, email, text, BBM, security, and autotext. I find my BlackBerry is super fast, never had any issues and have no desire to ever switch. The OS is easy to use and navigate. I'm just smitten!

01-05-11 05:59 PM
    Phone works well, perfect form fit. I have yet to find any android device that feels right in my hand. Simplicity and elegance of my Storm 2's OS. I really don't have any issues. I used it for work and personal business. I dropped it several times on hard concrete, still works great. Don't need anything else. If I do, my laptop is right with me.
    01-05-11 06:46 PM
    Two reasons:

I suck at typing on touchscreens.

The Torch was free with a two year renewal at Best Buy.
    01-05-11 06:48 PM
    - first smartphone (8530 curve FTW)
    -does almost everything I need it to (GD these games!)
    -great pre-pay plan with 300 mins ( $35 a month for unlimited everything)
    - the hope that I'll be able to trade in this 8530 for a 9830 from VM USA in about 6 monts or so. (Make it happen VM.please)
    - looking into getting the PB so a having BB phone that's compatible with it only makes sense.

01-05-11 06:52 PM
    I dont have to download a ton of apps to use my blackberry the way i want to use it for increased productivity. It is business oriented and that means it has been perfected in the workplace and board rooms/ War room to be used efficiently
    01-05-11 07:40 PM
    I think the only thing keeping me with Blackberry is their almost flawless email system its simplicity just makes it so much easier and allows for some much more productivity
    01-05-11 07:45 PM
    how is an email system that only allows 2.9 MBs for attachments and truncates the entire email if its too big flawles?
    01-05-11 07:58 PM
    ...using Android Debug Bridge or other apps that we don't need to get into here, Android users can "root" their phone (think of it as jailbreaking, but MUCH better and harder to do) and unlock the superuser component of the phone. This allows the user to alter literally ANYTHING in the system: operating system, ROM, and even the very kernel of the OS...
    That's one of the biggest reasons for not getting an Android powered device. Security.
    How long before you'll need to start buying anti-virus software for your Android? Had enough of that isht with Microsoft
    01-05-11 08:24 PM
84 1234
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD