Blackberry isn't alone in the fast paced hard hitting mobile device market. Been reading more and more about the once king of Android, HTC hurting.

While not in dire straits like Blackberry, still goes to show that if you start to slip up, no matter who you are and you can't fix it fast, you're in trouble. Apple and Samsung have become so powerful.
    10-04-13 10:47 AM
    Yes but no one is talking about the demise of the Android devices, right?
    I mean with BlackBerry, it's all we hear.
    10-04-13 11:28 AM
    Read some of the same HTC articles and wondered about the deafening silence. It is as if the stars are aligned for BBRY to be in the media spotlight which, considering their current marketshare, is rather interesting.
    10-04-13 11:33 AM
    Read some of the same HTC articles and wondered about the deafening silence. It is as if the stars are aligned for BBRY to be in the media spotlight which, considering their current marketshare, is rather interesting.
    Well I don't think HTC has taken the pummeling Blackberry has. And I don't think it's anywhere near crippled like Blackberry. But it does show that the market for mobile devices has become so competitive that it seems there are spots for very few at the top.

LG is making some nice Android devices in the last year or two, but it's not anywhere near touching the Samsung and Apple dominance.
    10-04-13 12:23 PM
    HTC dosnt even bring anything to the table, if they were to go up for sale I bet nobody would want them. If you don't own your own os you have nothing

Posted via CB10 on my Z10
    10-04-13 04:09 PM
    And that's important to remember. Once the media gets ahold of something, the people listen and a domino effect will follow which will cause the situation to get blown out of proportion. I'm not in any way making excuses for BlackBerry. They are in poor shape and I personally have little faith in their ability to execute. But the media factor is important.

Posted via CB10
    DJM626 likes this.
    10-04-13 04:18 PM
    There's a bit of a difference, don't you think?

HTC can die and Android will still survive... and continue to grow even.

Blackberry dies and it's everything that dies with it. And it's a bigger deal because Blackberry once owned this market.
    10-04-13 04:22 PM
    I read the HTC story today and saw a few articles of the past few weeks, however it's nothing like BBRY. HTC is putting up $1B to advertise and market the products ( shhhh) it's a secret. The issue I see here is that with BBRY, ,there is blood in the water and sharks have been summoned. The competition see a way to put a player out of the game and they are on full attack. I have never, ever seen the WSJ put so many articles out about a company as small as BBRY. I don't think this pressure will cease until they are private, gone or proves everyone wrong.
    10-04-13 04:33 PM
    HTC reports Q3 2013 results, including loss of $101 million http://pdog.ws/1hp0khN

If this was BlackBerry you'd see it posted on billboards.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    10-04-13 05:40 PM
    HTC as a company, is no BlackBerry. BlackBerry was the dominant smartphone company during the mid to late 2000s. A former giant falling from grace is the type of story the media loves. And if you have repeated bad news for them to report, then they'll have a field day with it. HTC's struggles aren't nearly as attractive a headline grab as a BlackBerry's .

It's not part of some big conspiracy as some may suggest, rather it's just the media being the media.
    10-04-13 06:44 PM
    HTC reports Q3 2013 results, including loss of $101 million HTC reports Q3 2013 results, including loss of $101 million | PhoneDog

If this was BlackBerry you'd see it posted on billboards.

CB10 - Z10 -10.2.0.1725
    True, but BBRY is a bigger story because of its previous success, and as berklon noted, the death of HTC wouldn't mean the death of Android, whereas the death of BBRY would likely mean the end of its platforms.
    10-04-13 06:46 PM
    If BlackBerry goes away it will be interesting to see if the media actually picks a new target.

Hold on, before you jump all over that, I'm not saying BlackBerry didn't deserve criticism, just that the media seemed to hand it down with an overzealous sick kind of glee. I'm just wondering if this is just the way of the media from here on out. Pick a villain. Make that villain seem to be the worst villain ever. Earn website clicks. Kill off villain. Feign sympathy, move on to next target.

Every superhero needs a nemesis to showcase how that superhero is so far superior. So who will be the next champion and who will be the next whipping boy?

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 03:13 AM
    Another reason why I think blackberry should get out of the consumer market and fast. They don't understand it. Make a few secure handsets under license by a proper manufacturer like Sony, chase BES hard and get some revenue from services and BBM. Sell to businesses and leave the teenagers to everyone else. They are too fickle.
    10-05-13 03:38 AM
    This is just proof of how toxic the consumer cell phone market is right now. Every HTC phone I've used has been incredible, and from what I hear the HTC One is one of the best (plus it kinda looks like a Z10). The fact that they're consistently beaten by the company with the cheapest, flimsiest feeling phones is just depressing.

A good, metal HTC phone just feels like quality there in your hand. That they're not doing well speaks volumes of the Samsung hype machine.

"In vino veritas, in aqua sanitas."
    10-05-13 05:01 AM
    Consumer electronics=marketing, it's the way it's always been. Quality does not factor in nearly as much as hype ala betamax vs vcr. Those that understand that do well and those that don't eventually have to change what they do or die.

They did market their stuff, for a while they were a major player in the android world and if I remember correctly they were one of, if no the first one to offer "full feature" android phones for near entry level prices. Unfortunately samsung markets theirs even better. When I leave the q10, having already used the iphone 4 I will most likely move to whatever galaxy s# is the latest unless some other player like LG can create something that completely blows them out of the water.

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 05:15 AM
    LG, Samsung, HTC, Sony. What do they all have in common? Great Devices with the same OS. Why is Samsung leading? Its because wherever I go all I ever see is Samsung Samsung Samsung! The marketing and brand is so amazing that even if it advertises tv you still think of phones! They make you want their product! They make you think that having Samsung is the top Android device! Now if only BlackBerry can just pull it back together and market the hell out of their products I believe we could see it move forward!

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 05:27 AM
    Another reason why I think blackberry should get out of the consumer market and fast. They don't understand it. Make a few secure handsets under license by a proper manufacturer like Sony, chase BES hard and get some revenue from services and BBM. Sell to businesses and leave the teenagers to everyone else. They are too fickle.
    There is only one market these days

Posted via CB10
    10-05-13 07:02 AM