these are found under Wifi options - highlight a profile - BB key - Edit.
    what exactly do those do?
    04-07-10 05:43 PM
    Well, I don't have a wi-fi capable phone but I can help you with one of those I believe. SSID stands for Service Set Identifier and basically it is the NAME of the wi-fi network you are connecting to and/or can see. Every wi-fi network has the capability to BROADCAST its name or not, and the SSID is the name so that it is easier for you to choose which to connect to...given the correct passcode, etc.

At home, if you have a wireless access point set up, you have given it a name...therefore your SSID at home is the name of your wi-fi network...or you could be like my neighbor and just leave it as it is from the box and call it "Linksys"... the default name! LOL...rookie!

Must be on a wi-fi capable phone you are able to manually input the SSID so your phone may connect to the wi-fi network.

If I am way off here, someone please correct me as I do not mean to lead anyone astray.
    ManexR likes this.
    04-07-10 06:13 PM
    Ok, let me take a stab at the other. The inter-access point hand over.
    This has got to mean that as you move, or your phone moves and covers a geographical area, like from your home to work, if you start out connected to a wi-fi network, you have to be handed-over to another wi-fi signal on the same network. So if you're on a service, as you travel, your wi-fi connection should continue to KEEP you connected as you move. You would stay connected to the same wi-fi network: that of your provider, Sprint, Verizon, TMobile, I dunno. So in actuality, they would have to have the same SSID like I talked about above.

I mean the term makes sense to me but I don't know if I have made sense to YOU. Oh someone will come along and clean this up for us, I'm sure. Must be that choice for the hand-over is disabled by default and if you are having problems losing signal, you can check it and enable it? That would be my guess.

Does this make any sense? Maybe not. Maybe I am wrong. I hope I haven't confused you or given you bad information.
    ManexR likes this.
    04-07-10 06:23 PM
    well theres a setting on my phone like i listed above called "SSID broadcasted" and Ya u explained the inter-access point handover pretty well, but the "inter" means?
    what you said about SSID broadcasted apply to the access point like routers etc. but what does it do as an option on my phone?

btw Essex is a great piano =)
    Last edited by new_to_BB; 04-07-10 at 06:33 PM.
    04-07-10 06:24 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD