its not about advantage, or getting ppl to switch. bbm is a service that rim can provide, and charge for. that's what im getting at.

clearly whatsapp is popular, but no where near as good as bbm yet. rim could easily crush whats app and dominate the multi-platform chat app sector, if they were to compete. whether they charge consumers for it, or carriers, i have no clue. just saying it should be given serious thought.
    lets be fair, whatsapp is popular because its free. ask how many cross platform people would use whatsapp if it wasnt free. i suggest the ammount would be countable on one hand.

and thats the problem with putting BBM cross platform, sure it`d be nice in a way, but i think theyd find it hard to monetize it when all the cross platform competition is mainly free stuff. you`d need a massive USP to get people to pay in quantities to make it worthwhile, and while theres BBM Voice and BBM Video, i just dont think its there yet.
    12-02-12 05:34 AM
    lets be fair, whatsapp is popular because its free. ask how many cross platform people would use whatsapp if it wasnt free. i suggest the ammount would be countable on one hand.

and thats the problem with putting BBM cross platform, sure it`d be nice in a way, but i think theyd find it hard to monetize it when all the cross platform competition is mainly free stuff. you`d need a massive USP to get people to pay in quantities to make it worthwhile, and while theres BBM Voice and BBM Video, i just dont think its there yet.
    Whatsapp is not free... On iOS, it's a one time charge of $0.99 and its been in the top 3 spots for paid apps for at least a year now. On the other mobile OS platforms, it's free for the first year and then $0.99/year afterwards. So clearly people will pay for the simplicity of messaging.

There's no reason why this couldn't be BBM being the top app in all the different app stores. Its definitely doable, especially with the brand recognition. Plus, BBM has the advantage of not giving out your phone number which is required for Whatsapp. Many people do not like to give out their phone number but will give out a "pin" easily.

EDIT: The real key is getting multiplatform. Whatsapp is on every mobile OS out right now, including older Nokia S40 & S60.
    Last edited by Plazmic Flame; 12-02-12 at 07:01 AM.
    12-02-12 06:34 AM
27 12