Oracle CEO Larry Ellison revealed few years ago that his company had at one point considered purchasing either BlackBerry or Palm in order to get in on the smartphone game. Palm�s fate was sealed by HP, while BlackBerry was apparently considered too expensive at the time. Times have certainly changed, but Oracle�s name hasn�t come up in the year since.

Source -The Verge
    Berry picking: a look back at BlackBerry's long list of potential buyers | The Verge

Posted via CB10
    ayngling likes this.
    06-15-16 12:27 AM
    The outlook for future smartphone growth is worse now than it was when BB was sending out feelers in 2013. No way Oracle will look at BB now.

There is a small possible scenario where a buyer gets interested in BB the company post- hardware but that doesn't interest people here.
    06-15-16 01:31 AM
    Samsung is the best Bet, with its constant attempts to skip out on android!

Posted via CB10
    06-15-16 02:27 AM
    If that would happen, I know it is quite unlikely, then I would destroy everthing I have from Blackberry in that instance.
    Oracle, Apple and Monsanto.. those three are really getting me angry.
    06-15-16 02:33 AM
    The very day the deal closed, Larry would close the hardware division. You'll notice that Oracle doesn't deal with retail/consumer products (they're an enterprise/government company), nor with hardware, and Larry didn't get to be a Top 10 billionaire by maintaining money-losing divisions.

I suspect that if Oracle were to purchase BB, they'd do so for the patents and the encryption knowledge, and sell or close everything else.

Be careful what you wish for...
    06-15-16 11:23 AM

Posted via CB10
    what does bb give them to help them get away from android?
    JeepBB and TGR1 like this.
    06-15-16 11:27 AM

Posted via CB10
    It seems like their preferred way away from Android is Tizen, which they already use in their smart TV's and smart watches.
    JeepBB and Dunt Dunt Dunt like this.
    06-15-16 11:41 AM
    Well least this idea makes more sense than MS, Apple, Google, etc. Oracle could do something with BES. Everything would go to the scrap heap though.
    06-15-16 11:47 AM
    I suspect that if Oracle were to purchase BB, they'd do so for the patents and the encryption knowledge, and sell or close everything else.
    And with how poorly Oracle is currently doing in court, purchasing for patents isn't exactly in their best interests right now.
    06-15-16 03:31 PM
    And with how poorly Oracle is currently doing in court, purchasing for patents isn't exactly in their best interests right now.
    Only Larry's massive ego let them take that case to court and continue to pay to fight it. If Oracle won, not only would it have been a tragic injustice for that case, but for software development in general.
    06-16-16 01:12 AM
    See Flip

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 07:47 AM
    Then I guess....

BlackBerry's future will be secured. Hahahaha

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-16-16 07:59 AM
    See Flip
    Flip? Cisco Flip?
    06-16-16 05:11 PM
    Oracle could do something with BES.
    Like raise the price of CAL's to extortion levels? Also, BES would require hardware from Oracle as well as annual service fees on top of your CAL's.

In other words, the same thing Oracle has done with almost anything Ellison has gotten his grubby hands on.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 06:05 PM
    The very day the deal closed, Larry would close the hardware division. You'll notice that Oracle doesn't deal with retail/consumer products (they're an enterprise/government company), nor with hardware, and Larry didn't get to be a Top 10 billionaire by maintaining money-losing divisions.

Be careful what you wish for...
    Oracle does indeed have a hardware division. They always have. What's left of Sun Microsystems is a big part of it. I'm not saying they would keep BlackBerry Hardware open, but they have hardware experience.
    ayngling likes this.
    06-16-16 08:42 PM
    Flip cameras.

Posted via CB10
    06-16-16 10:02 PM
    Oracle CEO Larry Ellison revealed few years ago that his company had at one point considered purchasing either BlackBerry or Palm in order to get in on the smartphone game. Palm�s fate was sealed by HP, while BlackBerry was apparently considered too expensive at the time. Times have certainly changed, but Oracle�s name hasn�t come up in the year since.

Source -The Verge
    Berry picking: a look back at BlackBerry's long list of potential buyers | The Verge

Posted via CB10
    I think we can all count on Larry Ellison not being that big a fool.
    06-16-16 11:31 PM
    Flip cameras.
    Cisco
    06-17-16 12:17 PM
    Damn. You're right. Sorry. I'm stupid.

Posted via CB10
    06-18-16 08:21 AM