I've talked w/ a few people over the years that would real like to have a blackberry but don't want BIS. So why not has blackberrys bis/bes optional with regular data packages. Since browsers now are copies of pc browsers you can set home page to your email so email will be painless.
    I understand the people that want email sent to them instead of "checking" email. For the others they should be able to have the choice.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-30-11 11:35 AM
    Why would they then want a BlackBerry device? No BIS means NO push of any kind, no bbm, no email, no app notifications. Everything would have to go the "pull" method. Apps would "check for updates" to whatever you wanted at whatever specified interval. This would kill not only your battery, but any data usage cap you have.
    12-30-11 11:38 AM
    What if I could get a Big Mac at Burger King?

That's just not how they make theirs...
    12-30-11 11:54 AM
    I don't think if someone put up a survey and asked what you propose that you would get more than 1% in agreement. If you are paying for a data package, you don't HAVE to set up BIS, it isn't mandatory, and get your email through your browser if your provider supports it. Does kind of defeat the whole purpose though. And BES requires an additional package from providers, PLUS support of company that has BES servers or an outside BES support company. Strange post.

I've talked w/ a few people over the years that would real like to have a blackberry but don't want BIS. So why not has blackberrys bis/bes optional with regular data packages. Since browsers now are copies of pc browsers you can set home page to your email so email will be painless.
    I understand the people that want email sent to them instead of "checking" email. For the others they should be able to have the choice.

12-30-11 11:56 AM
    I don't see what the problem is with BIS. It is the same price from all the major carriers as their regular plans.
    12-30-11 12:01 PM
    I don't see what the problem is with BIS. It is the same price from all the major carriers as their regular plans.
    Only in the U.S. and Canada. Everywhere else in the world, BIS is an additional cost. Some places, it's a minimal addition. In other places it's almost double the regular data rate. Those are the places people might want BIS to be optional.
    12-30-11 01:46 PM
    You can already use the browser without bis, in the browser you will see a bookmark from your carrier, if you go to that bookmark first from then on you can browse away with no bis.

At least this works with Vodafone and Orange uk.
    12-30-11 02:25 PM
    I think not real sure but I think bis is $2 more on att. That doesn't bother me none if that's the case.
    I don't know why any body wouldn't want to be on bis personally. I mean I hear people cry that youtube sucks coming thru bis and that web surfing is slower and just crying about being or would have to be on bis.
    If I hadn't read it here I wouldn't have known bis went down. I never had a problem w/ my phone.
    We haven't found a way to run att's data thru a blackberry. My sister is on a go plan and I gave her my 8520 and went thru this whole thing w/ att to put a regular sim card in it but setup on a go plan. Everything but data works. No internet at all. I can't quote the message that we get when you open the browser but its summed up that we don't have a bis setup. Tried it on my 9700 same thing. I've tried changing some settings and never got any where. So she just we and got a $15 pkg. It just stinks a little bit cause she buys a $50 card and doesn't get to use the data that comes with it. Until she finds another phone.
    I take it yall think it wouldn't be a feasible option. The problem going to BK to get a big mac is BK probally don't have the stuff to make the big mac. They could get somewhat close I think. 2 meat paddies, 2 bottom buns and a top and salad dressing. Huh? Kinda close no? But att has everything needed so this doesn't even compare.

12-30-11 04:38 PM

BIS is required for BBM, would people want a BlackBerry without BBM? that is the big kicker, ALSO RIM is hedging their ecosystem on BBM if you look at the products they have launched and the "super app" tools
    12-30-11 04:49 PM
    I understand you completely (on a financial perspective).
    In Belgium, BIS is an additional cost of €15 (about $19). And with all providers, you already need a plan of €15 per month just so they can "activate" your BIS. €30 is expensive for an average BB user just so he could BBM and push email. And this doesn't even include free phone calls.
    Anyway, I have BIS and I enjoy it so much so it doesn't kill me. Having a BB without BIS is like having the remote but not the television.
    12-30-11 05:08 PM
    Only issue I had with BIS is when it went down. That was a pain.
    12-30-11 05:28 PM
    I do not bbm at all. I tried it a couple times a few weeks ago with a fellow member here on cb. Had a lot of problems so we quit trying. I'm bot going to put bbm down. I'm just answering the question, me. That said I like my email sent to me cause email is the last thing I think of checking.

12-30-11 05:31 PM
    I think not real sure but I think bis is $2 more on att. That doesn't bother me none if that's the case.
    I don't know why any body wouldn't want to be on bis personally. I mean I hear people cry that youtube sucks coming thru bis and that web surfing is slower and just crying about being or would have to be on bis.
    If I hadn't read it here I wouldn't have known bis went down. I never had a problem w/ my phone.
    We haven't found a way to run att's data thru a blackberry. My sister is on a go plan and I gave her my 8520 and went thru this whole thing w/ att to put a regular sim card in it but setup on a go plan. Everything but data works. No internet at all. I can't quote the message that we get when you open the browser but its summed up that we don't have a bis setup. Tried it on my 9700 same thing. I've tried changing some settings and never got any where. So she just we and got a $15 pkg. It just stinks a little bit cause she buys a $50 card and doesn't get to use the data that comes with it. Until she finds another phone.
    I take it yall think it wouldn't be a feasible option. The problem going to BK to get a big mac is BK probally don't have the stuff to make the big mac. They could get somewhat close I think. 2 meat paddies, 2 bottom buns and a top and salad dressing. Huh? Kinda close no? But att has everything needed so this doesn't even compare.

BIS is the same price as other smartphone data plans on AT&T.

12-30-11 05:33 PM
    BIS is optional, just buy a different brand.

This is exactly the point I was making with the McD-BK analogy. Just because they have the parts and YOU want it, doesn't mean that is something they are going to make for you if it doesn't fit their business plan.
    12-30-11 05:42 PM
    BIS is required for BBM, would people want a BlackBerry without BBM? that is the big kicker, ALSO RIM is hedging their ecosystem on BBM if you look at the products they have launched and the "super app" tools
    By the way, a little OT but you've essentially nailed why BBM on the Playbook is not a technical issue, but a business one.

At this point, all BBM devices belong to subscriber devices where RIM collects a fee each month (if not from the user, then from the carrier). If RIM sells a device outright that can run BBM WITHOUT that subscription fee, they incur an incremental cost.

If (God forbid ) the Playbook DID take off, RIM would be in the uncomfortable position of either charging NON-Blackberry owners for BBM, or taking a hit on however much it would cost to provide service to those customers.

Purely a business decision.
    12-30-11 05:50 PM
    By the way, a little OT but you've essentially nailed why BBM on the Playbook is not a technical issue, but a business one.

At this point, all BBM devices belong to subscriber devices where RIM collects a fee each month (if not from the user, then from the carrier). If RIM sells a device outright that can run BBM WITHOUT that subscription fee, they incur an incremental cost.

If (God forbid ) the Playbook DID take off, RIM would be in the uncomfortable position of either charging NON-Blackberry owners for BBM, or taking a hit on however much it would cost to provide service to those customers.

Purely a business decision.
    I have long said no BBM is a business / Political choice over a technical one,

though for different reasons that you are saying
    12-30-11 06:04 PM
    BIS is optional, just buy a different brand.

This is exactly the point I was making with the McD-BK analogy. Just because they have the parts and YOU want it, doesn't mean that is something they are going to make for you if it doesn't fit their business plan.
    Att will sell you a data plan. They don't care what its on. Att has nothing to do with it. Bis isn't optional if you want internet on your blackberry. That's the point.
    The question isn't could it or should it be?

12-30-11 06:05 PM
    I have used Internet on my browser and used the gmail app to check my mail. All with a regular data plan (Vodafone India). So I guess it's dependent on carrier and is optional.

Rates are much more in bis. Regular data plan with a data cap of 2 gb is around $2.
    Unlimited bis for mail and IM is around $6. Unlimited mail,IM plus Internet browsing is around $12 and so on.

Above is common for most carriers here.
    12-30-11 10:52 PM
    No BIS means NO push of any kind, no bbm, no email, no app notifications.
    ???
    If I could bypass BIS (I don't do BBM), I probably could have complete IMAP push email by gmail. There are a few other benefits of going through BIS, but I am only saying that push email is not the monopoly of BB.
    Last edited by xanadome; 12-31-11 at 12:30 AM.
    12-31-11 12:27 AM
    I'm surprised to see a major issue not mentioned here.. RIM needs to continue to uphold some kind of quality control of the user experience.. There are already page after page of people even on this site who complain about their blackberry simply because they don't know how to use it properly.. can you imagine if people who didn't know any better, where allowed to walk out of a carrier store with a new blackberry without BIS? They'd be walking around with a device that did virtually nothing, showing it to other people who also have no clue and exclaiming what a piece of S#!T it is.. definitely bad for the brand.
    12-31-11 10:50 AM
    I'm surprised to see a major issue not mentioned here.. RIM needs to continue to uphold some kind of quality control of the user experience.. There are already page after page of people even on this site who complain about their blackberry simply because they don't know how to use it properly.. can you imagine if people who didn't know any better, where allowed to walk out of a carrier store with a new blackberry without BIS? They'd be walking around with a device that did virtually nothing, showing it to other people who also have no clue and exclaiming what a piece of S#!T it is.. definitely bad for the brand.
    Did nothing? So I guess all a blackberry does is bbm?
    If the blackberry was enabled to use the carriers data service the carrier could provide an email client and you would be surfing the internet. Only thing completely lost is bbm(trade name) to some I m client and update notifications. Which I dontnis going to be a total lost cause surely its an easy fix in that I'm emailed as well when there's updates and surely rim can still send notifications to the device. If not there's still the email alerts.
    So really what's lost?
    @

12-31-11 11:52 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD