Lol, here's Robin Williams take on it:

12-17-11 02:33 AM
    Yes, I did read it. The problem is that I also read RIM's earnings reports.
    Which tells you what? You going to pretend to be able to make heads or tails of what a 1/4 report says?
    My meaning is this. The Torch 9810 released with a price of $50. The 9800 released at $200.
    The major differences between the 2 is cpu, os, screen resolution and 9810 claims to be 4g. I don't believe the 4g claim. The os was written for the new phones. So they put snap dragon in a 9800, upgrade the screen either with software or hardware then sell it at the fall out price. This is when everybody jumps on the devices because the price lowered. So yea the gross earnings dropped because of the lower selling price but when the 9800 sold at $200 they pay for everything then turned a profit and then lowered the price when the price was total profit. So the 1/4 report even though written as a gross could actually be a net earning.
    How can this be. Well if all the materials where bought in the previous quarters and the earnings paid for them then in the later quarters all money is strictly profit.
    I don't believe this is the case 100 but I don't think its far. Nor do I believe you can look at any bodies report a judge how they are doing. All you know is what they want you to know.
    The only point I'm making is yea people left Rim to go to other devices. At the same time people left dumb phones and some other smart phone and bought blackberry. After all that some folks that left came back.
    How is it that an iphone user is upset at Rim and has nothing to do but come to a BlackBerry forum and talk crap? My answer is... Simply put the grass on the other side of the fence isn't really any greener once you get on the other side. Now you have to convince everybody else you made the right choice.
    12-17-11 06:02 AM
    You know what? iPhone is like the Mini Cooper. Never changes and adds small features one at a time to make customers go wow. iPhone is a money-making machine for Apple. Blackberry doesn't have cool "gimmicks" but has stuff somebody would use. I have a 4S sitting at home. Booted it, downloaded Angry Birds. Told Siri to **** off and used it like an iPod. I really think iPhone should have stayed the iPod Touch.
    12-17-11 06:23 AM
    I'm not an apple fan because of some of their corporate behavior but I would say that Siri, though in Beta is a cool technology. However, the marketing for it was a clever, effective gimmick that got iPhone4 users to upgrade to the 4S.
    Why did apple not offer it for the iPhone4? They could have but chose not to. I agree with the previous posters that Vlingo can a bunch of the actually useful stuff without the attitude.
    I actually made a little video about BlackBerry voice commands. Not to pick on Siri but I think that due to horrible marketing people don't know what BlackBerry's can do.
    I never recommended BlackBerry prior to OS7, even tough I had one but now that is mostly what I recommend.
    I have gotten seven people to buy BlackBerry's from the OS7 launch and they love them. They all looked like I pulled a rabbit out of a hat when I showed them a few things then I mentioned security and it was a done deal.

I did make it a point on all ten videos I'm making not to attack other devices. Just showing some BlackBerry capabilities.

I love my Bold 9930.
    Last edited by guerllamo7; 12-17-11 at 08:52 AM.
    12-17-11 08:50 AM
    Strange, I thought their user base grew 40% this year.

I guess the droves of users abandoning blackberry aren't quite as big as the droves of users flocking to them
    Profit this last quarter was down 70% year over year. You do realize there's a reason why their stick is trading at $13 a share, right?

Which tells you what? You going to pretend to be able to make heads or tails of what a 1/4 report says?
    It tells me that despite a growing user base (in terms of absolute user number, not market share), profit is free-falling. In business, free-falling profit is never a good sign.

So the 1/4 report even though written as a gross could actually be a net earning.
    Except it isn't. Quarterly reports are prepared by RIM accountants and then audited by a professional accounting firm. I'm certain they understand the distinction between "gross" and "net earning." Otherwise, we must believe that a billion-dollar company has an incompetent accounting department and an incompetent auditor. On second thought, maybe that makes perfect sense.

How can this be. Well if all the materials where bought in the previous quarters and the earnings paid for them then in the later quarters all money is strictly profit.
    No, it's not. But even if this were true, RIM would include something in their report that indicated that expenses this quarter are slightly exaggerated due to ramping up production for future sales. They wouldn't wait for armchair accountants to delve into their reports and "figure out" why profit is so low. The goal is transparency, after all, and not disclosing information that puts your company's financial position in a more positive light (because it allows an accurate understanding of your financial reports) is grossly incompetent. The numbers are exactly what they are.

The only point I'm making is yea people left Rim to go to other devices. At the same time people left dumb phones and some other smart phone and bought blackberry. After all that some folks that left came back.
    That's true of all platforms, yet RIM is the one losing 70% profits year-over-year.

How is it that an iphone user is upset at Rim and has nothing to do but come to a BlackBerry forum and talk crap? My answer is... Simply put the grass on the other side of the fence isn't really any greener once you get on the other side. Now you have to convince everybody else you made the right choice.
    No offense, but if discussing the facts of RIM's financial position is "talking crap," RIM is in huge trouble. To be clear, I've never said anyone should not buy RIM products, have never criticized anyone's choice to buy them, and the worst thing I've ever said about any RIM product is that the PlayBook doesn't sell (which is a fact, not an opinion); I stick with the objectives (i.e. financials), and I hope you can appreciate that "X isn't' selling" is a world away from "don't buy X." That RIM's financials haven't been any good since before the PlayBook launch is the reason why the stock price has fallen from $70 to $13 in 10 months.

Is the grass always greener on the other side? Yes. But clearly you misunderstand the meaning of that saying, which is that the grass always appears greener, whether or not it actually is. If I have to explain it any further, then you're not going to understand anyway.
    12-17-11 09:11 AM
    I don't get why people feel the need to justify their purchase, rather an iPhone or BB or whatever they are rocking. I can't tell you how many times I see people stick up for their device, claiming it to be the best thing since slice bread, yet months later getting the new hotness, because it does a couple more things your previous phone didn't.

It is what it is though, lol!

Siri is cool and all, but my genius button works the same way, to a point.

And as always Apple could literally sell crap on a stick and millions would flock to it! They can market the heck out of anything, lol!

Have two friends with Apple phones, one with a 4S and one with a 4 and can't tell a difference besides Siri. ...yeah the one has a dual core IIRC, but seemed as smooth and fast as the regular 4G and both were on big red network.

Asked the one friend why he got the 4S and he says, because he could! lol! Even he don't see much of a difference.
    12-17-11 09:13 AM
    You know what? iPhone is like the Mini Cooper. Never changes and adds small features one at a time to make customers go wow. iPhone is a money-making machine for Apple. Blackberry doesn't have cool "gimmicks" but has stuff somebody would use. I have a 4S sitting at home. Booted it, downloaded Angry Birds. Told Siri to **** off and used it like an iPod. I really think iPhone should have stayed the iPod Touch.
    Wow. Thank you for your thoughtful opinion. You sure educated us!

There is too much arrogance and rudeness happening around here lately. From BOTH sides.

Here's something for EVERYONE to think about. I use my iPhone (and my android before it) to do everything single thing I did on my BB. Plus more because they do things the BB at the time couldn't do. I didn't miss BBM because frankly I hated BBM. Just because YOU PERSONALLY 13echo4 have a hair up your **** about Apple products doesn't make them useless.

If you think the iPhone is only good for Angry Birds you either went into it biased an unwilling to give it a chance or you just didn't attempt to learn about it the way you immersed yourself in BB culture.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by reeneebob; 12-17-11 at 09:31 AM.
    12-17-11 09:15 AM
    Wow. Thank you for your thoughtful opinion. You sure educated us!

Lol. Got frustrated at BB-iPhone discussions. Sorry guys. Meant no harm
    12-17-11 09:23 AM
    No problem iChat.

There was another poster in this thread that was more directed at as well - you are generally pretty easy going. Cheers!

Last edited by reeneebob; 12-17-11 at 09:32 AM.
    12-17-11 09:27 AM
    I have to wonder why these post are started by all sides. Oh well.
    12-17-11 09:35 AM
    The squabbling begins, the thread closes!
    12-17-11 09:54 AM
36 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD