Hey!

I just thought maybe I should say this. It is just an opinion of mine, but I wanted to share it.

Everyone knows that RIM are predicting a loss for Q1 and that this will be disappointing, although expected. And then right away, it seems that sensational drama on "The end for RIM" or "RIM to be sold" or "RIM to break up". (Why did that need to happen from the media)

Hang on a moment...

RIM are in a transition from the old BBOS to the new, BB10 QNX OS. Of course, this may mean that there are low sales for the BB7 devices. And maybe, the current iPhone and latest Android offerings are more appealing to the mass market...

BUT!!!

Why do the media expect, hope, and some investors (apparently) demand the sale/break up right now? Why not let RIM try it out with BB10.

As to be honest, the stock isn't going to fall any lower in my opinion. And then, if, and only then, if BB10 has gone down like a cold plate of my moussaka, then split the company or open up BIS/BES to iOS and Android or try to be sold.

Why does it all need to be now?! I think RIM might actually succeed with BB10.

I really hope, and wish, that RIM is given the chance to show the world what has been ongoing for so long and looks so promising. I want RIM to succeed. I may not be in a corporate need for a Blackberry or use BES, but I absolutely love my Blackberry - for me, my life, it is the best smartphone and I've tried them all. I want them to succeed, even in 3rd place.

Don't give up, RIM.
    And shareholders, don't give up on RIM yet either.

If I was CEO, I'd have immediately released an announcement to calm all the drama kings and queens down and say there will be no change, until BB10 has had it's fair chance in the market. Only then, will "strategic alternatives" be considered.

There is a silence in RIM and for me, this is not a confidence to stand right by the product, the offering, and the future BB10 that is so close. I am sure they are gunning to get this right - first time - and out the door as quickly as possible.

And one thing, this is just my opinion - please no war about this!
    KAM1138 likes this.
    06-01-12 09:51 AM
    That's essentially the message that Heins DID send in his business update this week. You didn't get that?
    06-01-12 10:00 AM
    Hey!

I just thought maybe I should say this. It is just an opinion of mine, but I wanted to share it.

Everyone knows that RIM are predicting a loss for Q1 and that this will be disappointing, although expected. And then right away, it seems that sensational drama on "The end for RIM" or "RIM to be sold" or "RIM to break up". (Why did that need to happen from the media)

Hang on a moment...

RIM are in a transition from the old BBOS to the new, BB10 QNX OS. Of course, this may mean that there are low sales for the BB7 devices. And maybe, the current iPhone and latest Android offerings are more appealing to the mass market...

BUT!!!

Why do the media expect, hope, and some investors (apparently) demand the sale/break up right now? Why not let RIM try it out with BB10.

As to be honest, the stock isn't going to fall any lower in my opinion. And then, if, and only then, if BB10 has gone down like a cold plate of my moussaka, then split the company or open up BIS/BES to iOS and Android or try to be sold.

Why does it all need to be now?! I think RIM might actually succeed with BB10.

I really hope, and wish, that RIM is given the chance to show the world what has been ongoing for so long and looks so promising. I want RIM to succeed. I may not be in a corporate need for a Blackberry or use BES, but I absolutely love my Blackberry - for me, my life, it is the best smartphone and I've tried them all. I want them to succeed, even in 3rd place.

Don't give up, RIM.
    And shareholders, don't give up on RIM yet either.

If I was CEO, I'd have immediately released an announcement to calm all the drama kings and queens down and say there will be no change, until BB10 has had it's fair chance in the market. Only then, will "strategic alternatives" be considered.

There is a silence in RIM and for me, this is not a confidence to stand right by the product, the offering, and the future BB10 that is so close. I am sure they are gunning to get this right - first time - and out the door as quickly as possible.

And one thing, this is just my opinion - please no war about this!
    Oh no, how silly--RIM should say NOTHING, and just let the Media craft whatever story they want about RIM's Future. Didn't you hear--RIM has NOTHING to inform the public about. (Sarcasm from other thread).

I am not sure what the exact message SHOULD be, but there NEEDS to be a message--and a strong one. Not Hype, not Blathering, but a Confident Direction, and reassurance that RIM is on course and dealing with their problems.

The WORST thing in a leader is Paralysis, and RIM needs to make it known that is NOT what is happening. Problems are going to occur, so the important thing it to make it clear that they are DEALING with the problems.

KAM
    06-01-12 10:00 AM
    RIM need not say anything. They must DO
    06-01-12 10:01 AM
    RIM need not say anything. They must DO
    Well you're half right, and half totally wrong. They need to do both. This is a world largely driven by the media. What you SAY is (unfortunately) as important as what you do.
    06-01-12 10:03 AM
    Thunderbuck, can you find the exact words of what Thorsten said that are similar to what I put? I missed the bit about holding off any change until BB10 arrives. If anything, it seemed as if they are considering changes, right now.

And I agree, they need to say something about the direction. As right now, the media are doing all the talking and RIM and Thorsten should do something about that. That little line that came out of someone at the press office wasn't exactly a confident response.
    06-01-12 10:08 AM
    Untrue. RIM is not a politician. Talk isn't cheap its costly and the more they keep silent the better BB10 will be. Talks about how crapee RIM's doing only convolute consumer opinion. RIM has said everything it needs to. It doesn't owe our personal opinions anyone anything. RIM's gotta do RIM right now and focus, not try to dispel the media talk. The same people saying RIM is dead will the the first ones to report on BB10 and how boss it'll be

Silence is golden, and Berrys are BLACK

Blacknyellow
    06-01-12 10:10 AM
    Untrue. RIM is not a politician. Talk isn't cheap its costly and the more they keep silent the better BB10 will be. Talks about how crapee RIM's doing only convolute consumer opinion. RIM has said everything it needs to. It doesn't owe our personal opinions anyone anything. RIM's gotta do RIM right now and focus, not try to dispel the media talk. The same people saying RIM is dead will the the first ones to report on BB10 and how boss it'll be

Silence is golden, and Berrys are BLACK

Blacknyellow
    I hope we never have to realize how wrong you are about this. No offense, but Media image is a major part of mobile business success. Why do you think Apple (and everyone else) have these release events and conferences with big keynote addresses and such.

That's ALL playing to the media. Companies succeed and fail on how effective their marketing is and how well they manage their image. Unfortunately, the actual quality of their product often trails that.

Avoid hyperbole and nonsensical hype (that doesn't suit BB), and just put out solid information.

"Silence" in a media driven world doesn't mean you get to go about your business--it just means someone else defines you. Fail to understand that lesson, and you will...well fail.

I'm not trying to be a about this, but look around--media image is HUGE. The iphone doesn't succeed because it is the greatest or most innovative--it succeeds because they have some of the best branding and media control in the world. Not saying RIM needs to copy Apple, but to realize that Image is an important factor.

KAM
    06-01-12 10:21 AM
    But why not say something that at least shows to the 78 million customers that RIM stands by it's BlackBerry? As right now, I'm not sure about that and I am not the only one worrying what is going to happen in the future.
    06-01-12 10:40 AM
    Thunderbuck, can you find the exact words of what Thorsten said that are similar to what I put? I missed the bit about holding off any change until BB10 arrives. If anything, it seemed as if they are considering changes, right now.

And I agree, they need to say something about the direction. As right now, the media are doing all the talking and RIM and Thorsten should do something about that. That little line that came out of someone at the press office wasn't exactly a confident response.
    Heins did explicitly say that selling the company is not high on the list of priorities, and that BB10 development is proceeding with a lot of enthusiasm and strong developer support.

That may not be the EXACT wording you were looking for, but it does reflect the same general sentiment: "We have a platform we believe in, and we're committed to it."
    06-01-12 10:44 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD