He's not ruling out the possibility that it may work. But companies tend to be more profitable when they lean on software. Microsoft for example.

Do you see microsoft depending on their phones to stay alive?

No! You make more money when you have the third parties use your software and make their own devices and laptops. In this situation, he wants to sell blackberry security to businesses. If he can get people to buy the software, he can lay a foundation, bring in cashflow, and THEN think about making devices in the future once the brand has been revived.

He can't lean on one phone to save the company from turmoil. Apple laid their foundation with itunes. Then built the ipod lines and then the iphone.

But why did people buy the iphone? Because of itunes!!

Get the flow?

Posted via CB10
    MikeX74 and oneinfiniteloop like this.
    10-09-15 01:13 AM
    Chen that is the last straw

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 03:45 AM
    But why did people buy the iphone? Because of itunes!!
    Just because iTunes worked for Apple doesn't mean a Looney Tunes CEO will work for BlackBerry...
    JeepBB, Asvertus, heepman and 1 others like this.
    10-09-15 03:55 AM
    I'm not going to go through all the forums and cut and paste every instance of someone in a specific profession saying that their are apps they need for their jobs but BB doesn't have them. They are there. One engineer who ran a construction team said he often used apps for converting bolt or pipe measurements. A quick search on Google, and you find:

25 Apps Every Engineer Should Download

Apps in medicine save time when one can't get to a computer, especially in emergency medicine. Many doctors use drug reference apps for dosing and potential interactions plus a bunch of others. This is one reason why my wife, an ER doc, switched from BlackBerry to Android. All her colleagues were quickly looking up things or verifying information while she had to wait for one of a few limited computers to open up. Her BB was slowing her down. Here is a sampling of popular apps, and there are plenty of old posts from doctors when BB10 first came out saying they needed some of these:

12 Must Have Emergency Medicine Mobile Apps | Health Care Insights | Schumacher Group

I am a researcher at a major medical school. There are apps for major publishers/journals, companies we buy supplies from, and new laboratory equipment that sends results directly to your phone. Even scientific meetings now have apps that help you create a schedule for yourself which is really helpful.

In some of these cases, it is in its infancy. But believe me, it's coming. And a lot of the Android versions of these apps are not in the Amazon store. And believe me, people like my wife don't have time to tinker and hope the sideloaded app has full functionality and gets critical updates.

Then there are other apps that are work-related. My university just came out with a safety app for current threats/emergencies on campus. Guess what platform it isn't available for? And oh yeah, the travel service they work with doesn't have an app for BB10 either.

Yes, the bulk of people's work is still probably done on a desktop, but people are relying more and more on mobile devices in their jobs. And most people I know are not fanatics about the OS they currently use and can't understand why I wouldn't just switch so I could get more use out of my phone. I am starting to agree with them unfortunately. I feel like I am getting left behind. And it will just get worse as more and more apps come out in the future.

And what about all the apps out there that we can't use that some would find helpful? You can control your cable and access your DVR through an app. You can check your security cameras via an app. New appliances and electronics are going to have apps to control and interact with them. It's just going to get worse. It's no longer about just a keyboard and the Hub.
    Last edited by Emaderton3; 10-09-15 at 08:32 AM.
    10-09-15 08:07 AM
    I do realize that Chen has a hard job to keep the company going and has to deal with shareholders however I cannot see how he expects people to go jump on the BB Android if he keeps saying handsets could be done? Why would anyone buy a new Blackberry if they think might have no support in a few years BB10 included granted I am not a CEO but I was hoping for a better campaign for what could be BlackBerry's last stand thinking Mike and Jim would have done a much better job of promoting the change to Android and really explaining what the Real picture is .
    10-09-15 09:09 AM
    Why would anyone buy a new Blackberry if they think might have no support in a few years
    Because, simply, in a few years, you'll have bought another new phone anyway. As long as the Priv could get them through the next 2 years or so, that would be enough for most buyers.
    10-09-15 09:27 AM
    I'm not going to go through all the forums and cut and paste every instance of someone in a specific profession saying that their are apps they need for their jobs but BB doesn't have them. They are there. One engineer who ran a construction team said he often used apps for converting bolt or pipe measurements. A quick search on Google, and you find:

25 Apps Every Engineer Should Download

Apps in medicine save time when one can't get to a computer, especially in emergency medicine. Many doctors use drug reference apps for dosing and potential interactions plus a bunch of others. This is one reason why my wife, an ER doc, switched from BlackBerry to Android. All her colleagues were quickly looking up things or verifying information while she had to wait for one of a few limited computers to open up. Her BB was slowing her down. Here is a sampling of popular apps, and there are plenty of old posts from doctors when BB10 first came out saying they needed some of these:

12 Must Have Emergency Medicine Mobile Apps | Health Care Insights | Schumacher Group

I am a researcher at a major medical school. There are apps for major publishers/journals, companies we buy supplies from, and new laboratory equipment that sends results directly to your phone. Even scientific meetings now have apps that help you create a schedule for yourself which is really helpful.

In some of these cases, it is in its infancy. But believe me, it's coming. And a lot of the Android versions of these apps are not in the Amazon store. And believe me, people like my wife don't have time to tinker and hope the sideloaded app has full functionality and gets critical updates.

Then there are other apps that are work-related. My university just came out with a safety app for current threats/emergencies on campus. Guess what platform it isn't available for? And oh yeah, the travel service they work with doesn't have an app for BB10 either.

Yes, the bulk of people's work is still probably done on a desktop, but people are relying more and more on mobile devices in their jobs. And most people I know are not fanatics about the OS they currently use and can't understand why I wouldn't just switch so I could get more use out of my phone. I am starting to agree with them unfortunately. I feel like I am getting left behind. And it will just get worse as more and more apps come out in the future.

And what about all the apps out there that we can't use that some would find helpful? You can control your cable and access your DVR through an app. You can check your security cameras via an app. New appliances and electronics are going to have apps to control and interact with them. It's just going to get worse. It's no longer about just a keyboard and the Hub.
    I have to agree. I'm a retired MD, so I really wasn't missing medical apps, but I know when I was in the hospital it wasn't easy to look up the side effects of a drug when you were in the ER treating a patient with a reaction.
    I have most of the apps I need, but yesterday I finally saw what you are talking about. Someone showed me a Nest surveillance camera. I really liked it so I checked BlackBerry World, no Nest app. Then I checked Amazon apps. No Nest app either. Then the light bulb went on. I DO need apps!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    10-09-15 09:34 AM
    Don't be silly... Chen is not a CIA operative... Clearly he's a Masonic elder... Disney. Wells Fargo. CFR. Committee of 100. Once a George W. Bush appointee... I mean 'Hello Illuminati'... The Global Elite's plan coming full circle...

Posted via CB10
    John ******* chen.
    3 names
    Triangle have 3sides
    Illuminati confirmed.

Posted via CB10
    CivilDissident likes this.
    10-09-15 09:49 AM
    Because, simply, in a few years, you'll have bought another new phone anyway. As long as the Priv could get them through the next 2 years or so, that would be enough for most buyers.
    For the future of BlackBerry and handsets I Hope you are right .
    10-09-15 09:51 AM
    You can buy a Passport SE now. There can't be anything better after that.
    10-09-15 09:55 AM
    I have to agree. I'm a retired MD, so I really wasn't missing medical apps, but I know when I was in the hospital it wasn't easy to look up the side effects of a drug when you were in the ER treating a patient with a reaction.
    I have most of the apps I need, but yesterday I finally saw what you are talking about. Someone showed me a Nest surveillance camera. I really liked it so I checked BlackBerry World, no Nest app. Then I checked Amazon apps. No Nest app either. Then the light bulb went on. I DO need apps!!

9000 > Q10 > Z10 >Z30>Z30>
    And I know that the place I am at issues iPads to some residents. I constantly see them looking at medical records and doing charts. There is also software to look at x-rays and scans if need be. And the majority of those people have iPhones for compatibility. So even if it is indirect, there is no current BlackBerry tablet either that can keep them "productive."

It's not just about text and email anymore. I just saw a post from a business person, that despite his objection, clients are interacting with him via Whatsapp. I would imagine that occurs with other messenger software. And they aren't available for BlackBerry.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 10:38 AM
    It's not just about text and email anymore.
    Amen, brother.
    jmr1015 and JeepBB like this.
    10-09-15 01:30 PM
    They made him fly commercial and he stayed in a Hotel 6 the night before?

Maybe he has the flu and was heavily medicated?

He already has a new job and he is pulling on the parachute strings?
    10-09-15 02:49 PM
    10-09-15 04:27 PM
    Then I guess Canada is getting nuked for Nicleback.

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 06:14 PM
    Come Chen we want the BB10 Priv!!. I would buy two instantly !

  
    10-09-15 06:23 PM

Posted via CB10
    For that we would almost deserve it.
    10-09-15 06:41 PM
    He is an American operative sent by the CIA and a highly secret US phone cabal, including Google, Apple and Microsoft, to finish off a once iconic Canadian brand.

It is well-deserved retaliation for Justin Bieber, Celine Dion & Avril Lavigne.

Posted via CB10
    In that case...who could blame him
    10-09-15 09:09 PM

Posted via CB10
    I've been in my bomb shelter for about 9 years
    10-09-15 09:10 PM
    Let's not forget how we had to defend him endlessly for "App Neutrality".

Posted via CB10
    10-09-15 09:59 PM
    He is an American operative sent by the CIA and a highly secret US phone cabal, including Google, Apple and Microsoft, to finish off a once iconic Canadian brand.

It is well-deserved retaliation for Justin Bieber, Celine Dion & Avril Lavigne.

Posted via CB10
    Maybe Gordon Lightfoot should come back with "Ode to Johnny Chen" or sinking of the Edmond Fitzgerald 2 you know what the new title would be .
    10-10-15 08:39 AM
    Yes it makes me wonder what the hell is he doing out there?.but, having been at the helm for quite some time I do not think changing CEO is good decision.However,the board should sit up and take notice of JC's fool hardy statements to the media and have a chat with him.Anyway, a huge dent has been done in to BBRY brand which is difficult to undo.I myself wanted to upgrade to passport silver edition from my Q10 ....now I really wonder should I go in for it in light of JC's statements that he would take a call on devices as early as feb 2016
    10-11-15 09:03 AM
    Me thinks every time he opens his mouth his foot goes right in automatically!.He is also proving to be proverbial bull with its own china shop!
    10-11-15 09:07 AM
    How can he make almost the same communications mistake as Elop?
    10-11-15 09:09 AM
    I agree completely.

For the record, I'm done. I just switched over to my wife's old HTC One Mini, as she recently upgraded to an LG G4. Bye, bye Z10/Q10 and Blackberry...

The One Mini is still a wicked phone for me, as a person who prefers a smaller mobile. Sexy case, great speakers, excellent camera, nice screen, heavily customizable UI... Free! Why would I waste money on a BB Perv or stick around with (the clearly dead) BB10? Slider? Do not want. Android? So many others do it too...

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    ) HTC will run bankrupt faster than BlackBerry, trust me., it's days are numbered, while BlackBerry still finds a way to keep going

Posted via CB10
    10-11-15 03:39 PM
50 12