I was thinkning of paying full price for a blackberry because my dad doesnt want a contract. What do i get when the phone doesnt have a contract? Can i not text, browse the net, and make phone calls, etc? Is it just like buying the phone and not being able to use it? I heard something about putting a card in the lets you text browse the net and make calls, that true? I would need the phone to be like a pay as you go phone!
    02-18-10 05:50 PM
    Regardless of whether or not you have a contract, you need to have a BlackBerry Data Plan in order to get data features.

Without a data plan, you still need service from a phone service provider which will give you whatever services you sign up for. Typically, phone and SMS (text) if you add that.

In the US, TMobile is the only provider that offers pay as you go BlackBerry Data Plans.
    02-18-10 06:01 PM
    So I could pay full price for a blackberry and then upgrade it on to my contract where i only pay 40 dollars a month, and still beable to do all the things i do on my current contract?
    02-18-10 06:12 PM
    If you want to be able to access web, and you DON'T have a BB now, you will need to add a separate data plan.

The data plan that BB requires is not the same as a regular phone.
    02-18-10 07:11 PM
    DesiLou, what carrier are you on now? And what type of phone are you using now?
    02-18-10 07:19 PM
    Im with rogers, and currently have the lg neon.
    02-18-10 09:46 PM
    Im with rogers, and currently have the lg neon.
    Switch over to Windmobile (which city do u live in) if available in your area. Their BB9700 only $450 , they have no contract. But whichever service provider u r choosing u still have to get some kinda voice and data plan. U have to check what plans they r offering and choose whichever suits your needs the best,
    02-18-10 10:16 PM
    You can do everything with your BB whether you buy it with contract or not. Buying without contract enables you to change carriers( GSM).
    02-19-10 12:49 AM
    I was thinkning of paying full price for a blackberry because my dad doesnt want a contract. What do i get when the phone doesnt have a contract? Can i not text, browse the net, and make phone calls, etc? Is it just like buying the phone and not being able to use it? I heard something about putting a card in the lets you text browse the net and make calls, that true? I would need the phone to be like a pay as you go phone!

Rogers is a GSM carrier, they use Subscriber Identity Modules (SIM) cards to identify you as a customer.

When you insert a SIM card, you can use a BlackBerry, like any other phone, for Voice and SMS text. You will not be able to use Email, Messenger or most third party software that requires BIS to install and initialize.

I suspect the reference to "Text Browsing" is the Roger WAP gateway that is pushed as a service book. It is a Browser, but it only useful for shopping for overprices ringtones and such at Rogers.

If you choose one of the Wifi models like the Pearl 8120, Curve 8320 or Curve 8900, you can use the Browser while you are in a Wifi Hotspot.
    02-19-10 09:41 AM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD