Question - what happens to all the applications prior to the OS10 release?
    All OS's thus far have been Java based so I assume all the apps have been developed specifically for this environment and will no longer work on this brand new QNX system.

How does it work? Does the SDK get ported over so all the dev has to do is change a few things and the app is set to run on the QNX?
    03-31-12 05:44 AM
    Basicly the OS and products will continue to be sold and remain relavent for years to come.
    BBos apps will not work on BB10. that fact has been stated clearly many times.
    03-31-12 05:54 AM
    Lots hope developers port over their apps to BBOS10. There are a bunch of great apps out there for 7 and below that I'm sure myself and others wouldn't want to go without
    03-31-12 06:31 AM
    IMHO, correct me if I'm wrong but if OS7 Supports Webworks, then developers can have no problem making those kinds of apps both for BBX and OS7. Java apps however will just... die. Unless of course BBX supports BB Java which I highly doubt.
    03-31-12 07:19 AM
    If you're asking will your phone with the OS7 be outdated.....YES, that's just part of the quick growing tech world. It is what it is.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-31-12 07:51 AM
    we're all gonna QQ.
    03-31-12 08:31 AM
    My main concern was whether this is the right route to go down for BB... essentially it sounds like BB10 will start off with (almost) 0 apps. If that is the case then I can't see BB 10 being very successful in the mobile market for a very long time.
    03-31-12 09:40 AM
    My main concern was whether this is the right route to go down for BB... essentially it sounds like BB10 will start off with (almost) 0 apps. If that is the case then I can't see BB 10 being very successful in the mobile market for a very long time.
    BB10 runs playbook apps, and as already stated webworks apps which are already around for BB5/6/7. so there wont be 0 apps, why od you think BB is giving alot of Playbooks away, its not for playbook dev, but for BB10 dev.
    Bilaal likes this.
    03-31-12 09:45 AM
    Remember that BB10 will run all the apps developed for playbook and it will most likely have the android player running so it will not have zero apps at launch
    03-31-12 09:48 AM
    Surely apps developed for the tablet will need re-designing and re-engineering for the phones anyway?
    Can you imagine a 7" app being squished in to a small mobile phone screen? Quantity over quality?

We all understand the reasoning behind the free PlayBook offer but we could see from a mile away that the majority of them are trash.

It sounds like a very risky strategy and I can easily see devs giving up on the BB platform... especially if they have to re-make it from scratch.

That's if I've got the situation right in the first place and I am not over-exaggerating.
    03-31-12 09:56 AM
    I believe as long as they keep the aspect ratio the same, which they plan on doing the apps will look the same on the PB or the BB 10 phone.
    03-31-12 10:08 AM
    I believe as long as they keep the aspect ratio the same, which they plan on doing the apps will look the same on the PB or the BB 10 phone.
    Except the text will be too small for most people to read and the buttons too small for many people to tap.

It's not that simple, we'll need to do different UIs. This is what we do on Android and iOS now.
    Last edited by app_Developer; 03-31-12 at 11:35 AM.
    03-31-12 11:33 AM
    Except the text will be too small for most people to read and the buttons too small for many people to tap.

It's not that simple, we'll need to do different UIs. This is what we do on Android and iOS now.
    That doesn't happen as often as many people would think. The buttons and fonts on tablet apps are actually larger than most people realize, you just don't notice it because of the perception of the button/font size in relation to the physical size of the device.

I've seen plenty of apps that are identical on 10" tablets and on 3.7"-4.3" smartphones, and the smartphones don't suffer for it.
    03-31-12 11:47 AM

With properly designed scaling routines built in, it should not be an issue. The reason that iOS and Android require it is because there is no standardized seen size/aspect ratio.

With proper programming using the built in scaling routines and a standard aspect rail, this becomes very easy to handle.
    SnoozerBold likes this.
    03-31-12 11:47 AM
    The answer is extremely simple:

Webworks apps that have been around since OS5 will play.

All playbook apps will stay (we have a few quality ones)

The rest we will need to painfully wait for a year to arrive. Like we are with os 6 and os 7 port.

That is the end of a long answer cut short.

Sent from my BlackBerry 9860 on 7.1.0.342 with Tapatalk and my fingers
    03-31-12 12:35 PM
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD