plenty of years left.....wincentral and webosnation is still around after all
    Dang:-)
    12-25-19 12:57 PM
    The problem is that BlackBerry Mobile failed because the number of customers is negligible. It’s like pretending BB10 customers were target for BBAndroid instead of Android customers. The failure won’t register with the consumer public. Far more people think BlackBerry failed years ago than exiting mobile three years ago.

Be realistic with yourself and what you chose to support. We’re all in the same type situation. Mass acceptance of all people and their feelings isn’t a successful actual business model. People laugh at the idea of using BlackBerry phones and that’s just life. Failing at selling BlackBerry phones is something laughingly stupid and obvious to most consumers. Let it die silently is just obvious. TCL doesn’t care about us. There’s not enough of us to matter.
    TCL's predictions of success with BBMo died when orders from businesses concerned about security didn't come pouring in. No one expected profitability without moderate to high involvement of business customers- we all knew the worldwide individual consumer base alone wasn't profitable at its current level.
    12-25-19 01:00 PM
    I like to think a few of us will be here in 2030, scotch in one hand, using our voice/browser interface to curse that dastardly TCL.
    What are we gonna talk about in 2030?
    12-25-19 03:55 PM
    By not communicating, the company isn’t lying. Silence is golden when there’s no good news. From a pure business perspective, what benefit would TCL have to announcing failure?
    Stock price drop!
    12-25-19 04:06 PM
    What are we gonna talk about in 2030?
    Some of us will still be waiting for Chen's turnaround plan to work!

I don't know if there will be a PKB devices to talk about then. Maybe they will make a comeback. I don't know. I just set up my new 16" MacBook Pro and I'm appreciating how awful the 2016-2018 keyboard was for them. Maybe I have a new appreciation for keyboards in general. (I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1E and that keyboard is still better than this, but this keyboard is close enough now that the extra battery life and extra overall utility compared to PopOS will probably mean I use this 80% of 2020). I hope we'll have similar choices in phones again some day.

For the record, I don't think TCL is doing anything wrong here. They still have to come to a settlement with BB Ltd and it makes no sense to say anything to the public about any of this right now. Yes, some fans are upset, but I doubt that is a significant risk for them. If someone (even TCL) makes a great PKB one day, those same fans will come back.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-25-19 05:01 PM
    Some of us will still be waiting for Chen's turnaround plan to work!

I don't know if there will be a PKB devices to talk about then. Maybe they will make a comeback. I don't know. I just set up my new 16" MacBook Pro and I'm appreciating how awful the 2016-2018 keyboard was for them. Maybe I have a new appreciation for keyboards in general. (I also have a Lenovo Thinkpad X1E and that keyboard is still better than this, but this keyboard is close enough now that the extra battery life and extra overall utility compared to PopOS will probably mean I use this 80% of 2020). I hope we'll have similar choices in phones again some day.

For the record, I don't think TCL is doing anything wrong here. They still have to come to a settlement with BB Ltd and it makes no sense to say anything to the public about any of this right now. Yes, some fans are upset, but I doubt that is a significant risk for them. If someone (even TCL) makes a great PKB one day, those same fans will come back.
    Will they without BlackBerry software and branding?
    12-25-19 05:56 PM
    Will they without BlackBerry software and branding?
    IMO if there is another PKB someday it will be without BB anything. It has been years now that BB has been trying to extricate itself from the phone business. With just $350M in net cash now, it would seem absurd to try to get back into that business.

I just hope someone else figures out how to make a PKB viable. I'm not holding my breath. It seems hard. As for the BB software, I think having a locked down bootloader (which gets in our way as hobbyists) and then running Android apps is like buying a pair of heavy kevlar boots to protect yourself as you walk through the mall in your bathrobe. For my own personal use case at least, the security additions with BBAndroid is more theatre than reality. (The privacy addition is actually disingenuous IMO and was always more marketing/brand than reality)
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    12-25-19 06:12 PM
    IMO if there is another PKB someday it will be without BB anything. It has been years now that BB has been trying to extricate itself from the phone business. With just $350M in net cash now, it would seem absurd to try to get back into that business.

I just hope someone else figures out how to make a PKB viable. I'm not holding my breath. It seems hard. As for the BB software, I think having a locked down bootloader (which gets in our way as hobbyists) and then running Android apps is like buying a pair of heavy kevlar boots to protect yourself as you walk through the mall in your bathrobe. For my own personal use case at least, the security additions with BBAndroid is more theatre than reality. (The privacy addition is actually disingenuous IMO and was always more marketing/brand than reality)
    That was my point. Will a non-BB with PKB sell?
    12-25-19 06:19 PM
    I think at this point the BB10 fans have a better chance of having any extended support for their devices then any announcements from TCL or BBMO for a new phone.
    Lol how tables shift and turn then eventually get thrown out back for firewood lol.
    saint300 likes this.
    12-25-19 06:21 PM
    Stock price drop!
    LOL — not sure that will happen
    12-25-19 06:25 PM
    I think at this point the BB10 fans have a better chance of having any extended support for their devices then any announcements from TCL or BBMO for a new phone.
    Lol how tables shift and turn then eventually get thrown out back for firewood lol.
    Except a device on Oreo, even with only 6-8 months left of security patches, will have solid Play Store support for 5 years+. That also includes constantly-updating, on-device Play Protect software.
    Laura Knotek and Trouveur like this.
    12-25-19 06:53 PM
    Except a device on Oreo, even with only 6-8 months left of security patches, will have solid Play Store support for 5 years+. That also includes constantly-updating, on-device Play Protect software.
    And thanks to BlackBerry's so secure kernel hardening, root of trust and all that other security stuff, using an EOL DroidBerry should be "safer" than using an EOL phone from another manufacturer (aside from Samsung because Knox)

... Right?
    12-25-19 07:29 PM
    And thanks to BlackBerry's so secure kernel hardening, root of trust and all that other security stuff, using an EOL DroidBerry should be "safer" than using an EOL phone from another manufacturer (aside from Samsung because Knox)

... Right?
    Integrity Detection certainly makes it more resilient in general, yes.
    the_boon and Jake2826 like this.
    12-25-19 07:46 PM
    Hey Grinch, can't you let the BB10 peeps have a little glimmer of light lol.
    conite likes this.
    12-25-19 09:30 PM

... Right?
    But you can't just access Knox as an individual.
    12-26-19 07:04 AM
    Communicating the truth is always in a company's best interest. People pay attention. TCL is making a bad decision here.
    TCL is not communicating any falsehoods, they have just chosen to stay silent. Few tech companies every communicate they are winding down failed ventures. Most just let them silently fade away.

What benefit would TCL or BlackBerry Limited get from making any negative announcement?
    12-26-19 12:50 PM
    TCL is not communicating any falsehoods, they have just chosen to stay silent. Few tech companies every communicate they are winding down failed ventures. Most just let them silently fade away.

What benefit would TCL or BlackBerry Limited get from making any negative announcement?
    Nah, this won't silently fade away.
    12-26-19 12:55 PM
    What you seem to forget is that TCL actually produced good products in the BlackBerry Android range. The lack of communication however reflects badly upon them.
    Going forward that stinking reputation on communication, will bowl over to a stinky reputation on products and services company ride no matter what what label they put on, to disguise the facts.

Because they have not communicated properly with their clientele and customers they're likely to get this rub off on the sales of other products.

And it's reputation with BB Android tarnished because of the lack of communication will rub off on to every aspect of their business as a result they are likely to go bust in about 5 years.

Unless they change their attitude to Communications.
    This is not the ferengi Alliance from Starfleet.

This is the earth wide Alliance of customer base, you cannot afford to do damage with a lack of communication. And this applies not just a TCL but to Blackberry Limited as well.

Even corporates are looking to distance himself from Blackberry Ltd moving fully to Samsung Knox or fully to Apple and even Lenovo.
    TCL is moving into the low end and the lower part of the mid tier consumer smartphone market. I doubt they see any possibility of the few BlackBerry Mobile customers being interested in these phones.
    12-26-19 12:57 PM
    Why not. The BlackBerry Mobile customer base is very small in relation to the industry. For the most part BlackBerry Mobile was dismantled around a year ago and no one noticed. Easy to check, do a LinkedIn search on BlackBerry Mobile and see how many active employees have BlackBerry Mobile has their current employer.

No one except a few BlackBerry diehards care about the current state of BlackBerry Mobile. Most people in the world think BlackBerry left the market years ago.
    John Albert and Mecca EL like this.
    12-26-19 01:10 PM
    It already has. Exactly 3 people care.
    12-26-19 01:44 PM
    with all the things you guys saying about TCL and blackberry relations- my question is very simple, )) whatever happens , will we have a new phone with querty keyboard?? whatever it is tlc or BlackBerry? any news on it?
    12-26-19 02:20 PM
    with all the things you guys saying about TCL and blackberry relations- my question is very simple, )) whatever happens , will we have a new phone with querty keyboard?? whatever it is tlc or BlackBerry? any news on it?
    Nothing from this relationship anyway.

Who knows whether or not will ever see something again in the distant future.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    12-26-19 02:27 PM
    Likely yes, but they'll likely be Kickstarter projects like the Cosmo Communicator, the F(x)tec Pro 1, and the Titan. I doubt you'll see PKB phones from any major OEM anytime soon. BB has proven pretty definitively that there's no profit in it.
    John Albert and Laura Knotek like this.
    12-27-19 02:36 AM
    It's funny how at one time the entire world typed on Blackberrys and a physical keyboards, that was the norm with no complaints. Today major OEMs won't take that chance and I'm guessing that the choice boils down to less moving parts and less chance for repair/return/loss of profits.

Hammered out on my Precious Passport
    12-27-19 05:26 AM
    thanks, but i honestly didnt get whats cosmo communicator and Fxtec pro 1 - i will google ))). what iam trying to say, with all these things going on, just bb fans being upset will not save it, people are investing and feasibility and econimic factors are most important to them. All other phones, there is no problem for people to get used to any of other android or even non android phones, but obviously its a keyboard ( key1-2) users like as that are suffering , so reading all of these iam desperately hoping to find any positive news on it, but seems useless)))
    12-27-19 06:01 AM
564 12345 ...