Given that they haven't sold through all of the K1s in 2.5 years, and K2s in 1.5 years, it's pretty understandable that they made as few as they did.
    Also, everything we know (including conversations I had in 2017 with BlackBerry Mobile staff) indicates that BBMo did not have any desire to take inventory risk, so they purposefully ordered a conservative number of devices for each market based on actual demand from carriers and retailers. The fact TV that they didn't sell out means they under sold their conservative forecast!

Z10 = BB10 + VKB > iOS + Android
    01-23-20 08:19 PM
    Still strange, taking into acount all said about bad sales figures)
    But there’s no huge rush for now
    01-23-20 08:39 PM
    Also, everything we know (including conversations I had in 2017 with BlackBerry Mobile staff) indicates that BBMo did not have any desire to take inventory risk, so they purposefully ordered a conservative number of devices for each market based on actual demand from carriers and retailers. The fact TV that they didn't sell out means they under sold their conservative forecast!

So it is really finished then . . .
    01-23-20 10:11 PM
    So it is really finished then . . .
    Don't expect an official announcement (which would only bring unwanted negative press to both companies), but, yeah, it's done.
    phuoc likes this.
    01-24-20 12:58 AM
    It's kind of sad in the sense that it's not just Red KEY2 stock they have left...

... but every color of the KEY2, LE and even KEYone.

If they really wanted to liquidate stock, they should calm down with the prices on the BB EU store.

The Red KEY2 is 780€ ...
    thats exactly what i mean, it nearly doesnt look like any liquidation....
    01-24-20 06:00 AM
    thats exactly what i mean, it nearly doesnt look like any liquidation....
    Yep, if they really were that desperate to get rid of everything they still have left, they could write off all the remaining inventory to various carriers/retailers around the world at cost price. Meaning basically "give" them all that remaining stock for the price it cost TCL to make them.
    01-24-20 06:29 AM
    Don't expect an official announcement (which would only bring unwanted negative press to both companies), but, yeah, it's done.
    Oh I know. Hadn't seen before bbadaptor had talked to someone from the company. Was commenting more for others to drive home the point.
    01-24-20 06:43 AM
    There’s no reason for liquidation until the end of the licensing agreement. Doing it this way probably keeps the in compliance with terms of licensing agreement.
    nevilleadaniels likes this.
    01-24-20 07:38 AM
    There’s no reason for liquidation until the end of the licensing agreement. Doing it this way probably keeps the in compliance with terms of licensing agreement.
    Plus, it optimizes revenue for TCL and distributors. No reason to discount if you don't have to do so!

01-24-20 09:49 AM
    I will make my conclusions on actual facts and not opinions.
    With regards to BlackBerryMobile I just got my KEY2 fixed with official repair shop after a bad fall and support / service was great. Also purchased a KEY2 Red Edition and again service was excellent.

Until official confirmed announcements life goes on. But feel free to fuel further hypothesis and or opinions it's your right either way.
    The bottom line is that no answer will make you happy except for the answer you will never get on Crackberry, so why not query TCL/BBMobile directly?

Do you expect a TCL executive to make a CB account and answer you?
    John Albert likes this.
    01-24-20 10:09 AM
    Yep, if they really were that desperate to get rid of everything they still have left, they could write off all the remaining inventory to various carriers/retailers around the world at cost price. Meaning basically "give" them all that remaining stock for the price it cost TCL to make them.
    I seriously doubt that TCL has any inventory left beyond what they held in reserve for legally required warranty service. They have almost certainly pushed all of it to distributors awaiting orders.

As the warranty obligations decline, we may see additional reserved units released in a "drip campaign."

Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-24-20 10:28 AM
    I will make my conclusions on actual facts and not opinions.
    With regards to BlackBerryMobile I just got my KEY2 fixed with official repair shop after a bad fall and support / service was great. Also purchased a KEY2 Red Edition and again service was excellent.

Until official confirmed announcements life goes on. But feel free to fuel further hypothesis and or opinions it's your right either way.
    Ok. So what do you think the LIKELY outcome is with BlackBerry Mobile and future devices, based on YOUR review of the facts?
    Just wondering if you missed my question.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-24-20 11:27 AM
    Reposting from another thread.

Why would TCL make any announcements. They are now going after the consumer low and low mid market for Android phones. The BlackBerry Audience has no interest in these phones. Also, I don't think the vast majority of the people outside of CrackBerry even know BlackBerry Mobile = TCL. All that TCL can get out of an announcement is bad press. Plus I am sure they have a small remaining inventory they would like to sell, and announcement would force them to liquidate this inventory for pennies on the dollar.

BlackBerry Limited does not want any press about BlackBerry Mobile going away. All that would do is dredge up a bunch of retrospective articles about how BlackBerry lost their phone market. Since BlackBerry limited left this market in 2016, they don't want to go through all of this negative publicity again.

Neither company would benefit in anyway to have a bunch of negative articles written about the failure of BlackBerry Mobile. The size of the BlackBerry Mobile user base is so small the press is not even following them. If both companies stay silent they can just let everything fade to black with no negative publicity. The BlackBerries are not unique is this position. Many tech companies do not announce the death of failed ventures, they wait until few remember and then just put them on an EOL list.
    There are tons of posts speculating on this subject here on CrackBerry: where people come to find out what is going on. So if the posters are convinced it is the end and that the bad press from an announcement would hurt both companies, then why are they posting? Why? Surely they aren't so nieve that they think that no one notices. Or...
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-24-20 02:49 PM
    I agree with other mentioned point, but not the security. Key2 will not receive the monthly security patches after this June. It is fine to use an Android phone without a security update for a limited period of time, but not for extra five years!

Five years from now?
    Lol! Just like using Galaxy S3 in 2020
    I am putting Cylance on my devices that are not getting more security patches.
    01-24-20 02:53 PM
    Still strange, taking into acount all said about bad sales figures)
    I wondered about the supply and demand comment as well. Either it is in demand or it is not.
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-24-20 02:56 PM

Due to poor marketing, not least. I pulled out my KEY2 at a booth at a consumer home show. They were selling phone accessories, and were former BlackBerry users, so not unfamiliar with the cell phone market or BlackBerry devices. They had not seen the KEY2 or the KEYone and seemingly did not know they existed. They fell in love with the device, everything about it-- the keyboard, the grippy back, the sturdiness, the beautiful sleek design and on and on--one of them wanted to "just hold it" to savor the experience. I didn't tell them I had my other KEY2 with me or they would have tried to coerce me into selling it to one of them on the spot.
    Why don't people like this know they exist?
    01-24-20 03:08 PM
    Why don't people like this know they exist?
    Because surveys and focus groups and advertising feedback has shown that advertising at the levels necessary to make sure literally EVERYONE knows about it (like, say, Samsung and Apple do, spending over a billion dollars a year) would not increase sales significantly, and certainly nowhere near enough to pay for the cost of that advertising, much less make a profit on top of that.

How many people who saw your phone actually tracked one down and bought it? It's easy to show interest, but that doesn't automatically translate to spending real money - to say nothing of those who buy it and then return it for one reason or another.
    John Albert likes this.
    01-24-20 03:22 PM
    Because surveys and focus groups and advertising feedback has shown that advertising at the levels necessary to make sure literally EVERYONE knows about it (like, say, Samsung and Apple do, spending over a billion dollars a year) would not increase sales significantly, and certainly nowhere near enough to pay for the cost of that advertising, much less make a profit on top of that.

How many people who saw your phone actually tracked one down and bought it? It's easy to show interest, but that doesn't automatically translate to spending real money - to say nothing of those who buy it and then return it for one reason or another.
    Many people who see the phone buy it. Happens every week.
    01-24-20 03:46 PM

Did you read my post? These were people in the industry, people who sell cell phone accessories.
    Last edited by Sigewif; 01-25-20 at 03:39 AM.
    01-24-20 04:14 PM
    In my case it was buy the phone and then see it.
    01-24-20 04:15 PM
    Every week! So maybe 100 more sold in two years? Apple probably sells that many in 5 minutes!.
    chain13 and John Albert like this.
    01-24-20 07:09 PM
    How much extra per device would someone pay for PKB hardware. Multiply that by 1 million pieces and divide that by 2.5 and there’s your advertising budget.
    chain13 likes this.
    01-24-20 07:44 PM
    Every week! So maybe 100 more sold in two years? Apple probably sells that many in 5 minutes!.
    I just did some quick math. In 2019 there were approximately 1.5 billion cell phones sold worldwide. Take Apple out of that and there were 1.3 billion Android phones sold in 2019. That's about 150,000 per hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Methinks that eyeballing a Key phone and buying it has maybe 1 millionth of 1% effect on the market.
    chain13 and pdr733 like this.
    01-24-20 07:59 PM
    I just did some quick math. In 2019 there were approximately 1.5 billion cell phones sold worldwide. Take Apple out of that and there were 1.3 billion Android phones sold in 2019. That's about 150,000 per hour, 7 days a week, 365 days a year.

Methinks that eyeballing a Key phone and buying it has maybe 1 millionth of 1% effect on the market.
    That high?
    anon(10622733) likes this.
    01-24-20 08:02 PM
    That high?
    Hah! It's the_boon that is messing up the stats lol
    the_boon likes this.
    01-24-20 08:04 PM
564 ... 1819202122 ...