That is not the whole story. There were announcements about licensing the building of BlackBerry smartphones. Even Chen mentioned it several times. This is what Towngirl is asking about. The question is whether or not there will be BlackBerry licensed devices. Whether or not we will see anymore BlackBerry branded devices by TCL is the big question and this has been discussed in numerous threads here on CB.
    Yes, thanks.

Geez, people. Get it together

And.... Anything from someone else besides tcl

D, D, D: lmao ... would be out of their faster than you can blink an eye and it would not happen, again. The next one would be awesome

Seriously, no idea. Hope I wake up before they do. I would be back to ... running....
    01-10-20 02:22 PM
    Yes, thanks.

Geez, people. Get it together

And.... Anything from someone else besides tcl

D, D, D: lmao ... would be out of their faster than you can blink an eye and it would not happen, again. The next one would be awesome

Seriously, no idea. Hope I wake up before they do. I would be back to ... running....
    Hmmmm there’s still hope
    01-10-20 02:40 PM
    That is not the whole story. There were announcements about licensing the building of BlackBerry smartphones. Even Chen mentioned it several times. This is what Towngirl is asking about. The question is whether or not there will be BlackBerry licensed devices. Whether or not we will see anymore BlackBerry branded devices by TCL is the big question and this has been discussed in numerous threads here on CB.
    Fully understood what is being asked for and can pretty much guarantee BlackBerry Limited is not going to say anything more about mobile phones. They have zero reason to make any announcements. The only thing that they would get is a bunch of negative press articles dredging up how BlackBerry lost the phone market. BlackBerry Limited is very happy just to let this fade to black.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-10-20 04:26 PM
    When did Chen say this?
    01-10-20 04:42 PM
    Fully understood what is being asked for and can pretty much guarantee BlackBerry Limited is not going to say anything more about mobile phones. They have zero reason to make any announcements. The only thing that they would get is a bunch of negative press articles dredging up how BlackBerry lost the phone market. BlackBerry Limited is very happy just to let this fade to black.
    And, even if the coverage isn't negative, it's not coverage that helps them in any of their target markets, so it's a distraction, at best.

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    eshropshire and ppeters914 like this.
    01-10-20 05:26 PM
    Hmmmm there’s still hope
    For what? Our secret affair? I'm pretty expensive.

Then they suck. Best decide what other phone to get, when this one dies.

I was starting to wonder if the new tclplex was going to end up being some BB slab phone after they tried this new one they made.

And I know there are CB people, that know. And aren't telling us
    joshualebowitz likes this.
    01-10-20 09:36 PM
    That’s ok. It’s the Internet so I’m pretty rich....
    app_Developer and JeepBB like this.
    01-10-20 10:18 PM
    That’s ok. It’s the Internet so I’m pretty rich....
    Lmao
    01-10-20 10:22 PM

Then they suck. Best decide what other phone to get, when this one dies.

I was starting to wonder if the new tclplex was going to end up being some BB slab phone after they tried this new one they made.

And I know there are CB people, that know. And aren't telling us
    BlackBerry Mobile was TCL's attempt to enter the business market and sell a more expensive offering. Unfortunately for many different reasons it did not work out. If you check LinkedIn you will see all of the former leadership of BlackBerry Mobile has moved on.

TCL has decided to take a different approach and go after the lower end of the consumer market. I am sure TCL does not see a connection between their new approach and their old BlackBerry efforts.

I know it would be nice to know more, but I think TCL justs wants to get their remaining BlackBerry inventory sold.
    01-10-20 10:33 PM
    Really? So can you suggest me where to buy for less? Please? European unlocked, thanks
    Of course I can’t, the phone itself is in my “dont buy” list. I just compare it to slabs with similar price point and yes, $350 is still overprice.
    01-11-20 05:43 AM
    BlackBerry Mobile was TCL's attempt to enter the business market and sell a more expensive offering. Unfortunately for many different reasons it did not work out. If you check LinkedIn you will see all of the former leadership of BlackBerry Mobile has moved on.

TCL has decided to take a different approach and go after the lower end of the consumer market. I am sure TCL does not see a connection between their new approach and their old BlackBerry efforts.

I know it would be nice to know more, but I think TCL just wants to get their remaining BlackBerry inventory sold.
    They have always been chasing the low end with the Alcatel line. With their TCL devices they are once again trying to move back into the middle grade (bet they still use the word premium a lot). So basically replacing BBMo with TCL devices, just as they replaced TCL devices with BBMo for a short while.
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    01-13-20 10:56 AM
    They have always been chasing the low end with the Alcatel line. With their TCL devices they are once again trying to move back into the middle grade (bet they still use the word premium a lot). So basically replacing BBMo with TCL devices, just as they replaced TCL devices with BBMo for a short while.
    They are slightly moving up from Alcatel, but their prices are on the low end of midtier. TCL is not going after the business market. I don't think they see their BlackBerry Mobile customers as good targets for their TCL phones.
    01-13-20 01:18 PM
    I don't think they see their BlackBerry Mobile customers as good targets for their TCL phones.
    Damn right they don't.

There are zero things about the Plex that would appeal to a BlackBerry fan.
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-13-20 10:05 PM
    When did Chen say this?
    I don't remember when he said it but it was in at least one of the interviews with him that I watched. It was after the licensing agreements had been underway for a while.
    01-14-20 02:59 AM
    They are slightly moving up from Alcatel, but their prices are on the low end of midtier. TCL is not going after the business market. I don't think they see their BlackBerry Mobile customers as good targets for their TCL phones.
    They would be right, at least as far as I am concerned.
    01-14-20 03:04 AM
    Of course I can’t, the phone itself is in my “dont buy” list. I just compare it to slabs with similar price point and yes, $350 is still overprice.
    For me, a slab is not interesting so they do not and cannot be compared to the PKB BlackBerry device. It gets tedious trying to make such comparisons because they just aren't the same.
    01-14-20 03:11 AM
    I don't remember when he said it but it was in at least one of the interviews with him that I watched. It was after the licensing agreements had been underway for a while.
    What’s different than current licensing model?
    01-14-20 06:00 AM
    What’s different than current licensing model?
    It was after the current licensing agreement began.
    01-14-20 08:59 AM
    If you're referring to Chen's tongue-in-cheek remark about getting back into the device game when talking to Bank of America about issues with BYOD a couple of months back, then you're barking up the wrong tree.
    01-14-20 09:57 AM
    It was after the current licensing agreement began.
    I remember him making a number of comments about licensing... even before any of the three built a phone.

But after that first year, I don't remember him saying much about it any more. BBMP had flopped, Optiemus had backed out of doing anything yet. BBMo had and push a slab that was doa and the keyone's pop off screen was an embarrassment. While BBMo like to say sales were better than they expected... I think Chen's expectation were much higher. He had the numbers that told him what was going on.

The "key" at this point... is BlackBerry has not left enough in place to try any of this again.
    ppeters914 likes this.
    01-14-20 10:35 AM
    So....
    Has anyone heard ANY rumors the last month's of ANYTHING? It really seems like TCL is going to be out of the picture soon and our best hope is a new engaged licensing partner.

I'd take an LG/Motorola/any high end Android device with a PKB & Hub installed.
    01-14-20 12:37 PM
    So....
    Has anyone heard ANY rumors the last month's of ANYTHING? It really seems like TCL is going to be out of the picture soon and our best hope is a new engaged licensing partner.

You're not going to hear silence. It will just die quietly.
    01-14-20 12:57 PM
    So....

Hell I'd take any PKB device...

As long as the PKB works when typing faster than 15 wpm
    01-14-20 01:01 PM
    So....

Anyone that knows anything are usually signing non-disclosure agreements.
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-14-20 01:30 PM
    Yes, NDAs of course but leaks have always happened when anything is happening. I'm surprised we haven't at least heard rumors from BlackBerry itself/Chen that the hardware division is totally dead.

Which begs me to ask, when is the TCL licensing deal "over"?

If they are indeed trying to run through their final Red stock, etc - I would imagine there will be more public information about the hope of a new licensing agreement?
    01-14-20 02:35 PM
564 ... 1415161718 ...