Everyone is upset, and a few people are arguing, but I just want to say that I am in tears at the thought of no more blackberry phones.
    Really big tears. Sobbing.
    I can't be the only one, can I?
    In answer to many people here who don't know why anyone uses a Blackberry 10 or a Key except hobbyists, DoD and Canadian Forces still require BlackBerry level security on devices, same for banks and cops. Those contracts are not BYOD, they are blackberry device specific, require push email, not pull, and have to be honoured, so I have no clue how this works out. Most people I know like that have 2 phones, one govt or business issued, and one personal that they use for gaming, photos, anything that doesn't require words to be typed. I've tried using a VKB for years on my iPad and on iphones and can't type anything longer than one sentence, and I get and send hundreds of emails, messages, texts, DMs a day so this is going to be a problem unless I can rig up a copy of that old Ryan Seacrest snap on keyboard for an iPhone.
    If people don't have a pkb on a phone, I see a lot of people carrying a Bluetooth keyboard for their tablets, or carrying small laptops, but they have to set it down to type so it's not very portable.
    Currently researching those mini keyboards that look like Xbox controllers, seeing if I can rig it up to a case with a slab phone. Because this KeyOne is dying, cracked screen, after I dropped it from a second floor balcony. I'm screwed.
    To get into a government building with a non-govt issued phone, like an android or an iPhone by the way, you have to check your phone at the door, it gets locked up in front in your own drawer, turned off, and the cabinet with all the drawers, is basically a giant Faraday cage.
    So in govt offices, I guess we're all going back to passing stickie notes and then ripping them to shreds and scattering the pieces. No one smokes anymore, no ashtrays so it's hard to burn them.
    Sigh
    Wow and for all this amount of time, I thought Canadian government was like the USA government in terms of modern technology. I guess y’all appear to be stuck in 2013 and will be overrun by the invaders that use Android/iOS technology with drone attack fighters.
    01-07-20 02:54 PM
    My point: it isn't that there is not a (potential) market for them. But there weren't trained sales people who knew how to market them.
    The low advertising budget and lack of sales structure obviously didn't help, but the only reason they didn't sell PKB TCL Blackberry mobiles is that not enough people want a PKB, especially at the prices they are at. Full stop.
    01-07-20 03:31 PM
    The low advertising budget and lack of sales structure obviously didn't help, but the only reason they didn't sell PKB TCL Blackberry mobiles is that not enough people want a PKB, especially at the prices they are at. Full stop.
    TCL plans were never to sell mostly PKBs... that first year was going to be the KEYone that BlackBerry had already worked up a year before (thus the old specs). But there where two SLAB phones planned for that first year as well.

PKB have long been seen as on the outs, even at BlackBerry. It's just all they and BBMo had to fall back on - but it wasn't even close.

In the end Enterprise didn't want BB10 or Android Secure, and that's why neither BlackBerry nor BBMo could find a viable niche.
    01-07-20 03:47 PM
    Super compassionate response there....excellent way to respond to someone who is crying and who also brings up some good points.
    1) the US govt runs the same way....all NATO countries do. You know why? Because using an iPhone is the best way to get shot while out on patrol, especially when they use their GPS always on phones to take selfies in the desert. Yes Trump uses an Android to tweet, and he's the worst offender, the secret service must be flipping out.
    And drones.....retail drones? Really?
    What do you mean by all NATO countries work the same? I don’t think all these countries are operationally dependent on BlackBerry devices in 2020? I know Dutch and American officers with military issued Android and iOS devices. Are you seeing there are some functions or groups where they still issue BB devices?
    01-07-20 03:55 PM
    Super compassionate response there....excellent way to respond to someone who is crying and who also brings up some good points.
    1) the US govt runs the same way....all NATO countries do. You know why? Because using an iPhone is the best way to get shot while out on patrol, especially when they use their GPS always on phones to take selfies in the desert. Yes Trump uses an Android to tweet, and he's the worst offender, the secret service must be flipping out.
    And drones.....retail drones? Really?
    The USA government, USA military and first responders long ago dropped BBOS and never adopted BB10 to any measurable. I really didn’t think you were being serious about crying over BB10 EOL announcement from three years ago.
    01-07-20 04:00 PM
    In answer to many people here who don't know why anyone uses a Blackberry 10 or a Key except hobbyists, DoD and Canadian Forces still require BlackBerry level security on devices, same for banks and cops. Those contracts are not BYOD, they are blackberry device specific, require push email, not pull, and have to be honoured, so I have no clue how this works out.
    While you may not have found the humor in Chuck's lighthearted response, you do seem rather upset about something that isn't really left up to you to figure out. If the demands are as you say, then the Government has the responsibility to acquire those devices and issue them to you and make arrangements with BlackBerry to keep them in working order.

Aside from that, many sectors of the Canadian Government have already adapted to the changes and offer that 'BlackBerry level of security' through the use of BlackBerry UEM, enabling them to use Android and iOS devices. If it hasn't reached your department, it's only a matter of time or alternative measures will be made as the Government is already working on their own FedRAMP solutions similar to that of the US.

Sure, it sucks BIG time to potentially be losing physical keyboard options / BlackBerry devices, but the Government isn't going to take away alternative communication options or leave you unable to do your work.
    01-07-20 04:04 PM
    Who is "she"
    You can reply to me directly.
    Key2's are hard to come by these days, yeah, we'll dig one up, but end of the line, means----end of the line.
    Nevermind, I should remember never to comment on a tech forum using a female avatar or name, and never to express an emotion....
    Done here.
    What she?
    01-07-20 04:04 PM
    Everyone is upset, and a few people are arguing, but I just want to say that I am in tears at the thought of no more blackberry phones.
    In answer to many people here who don't know why anyone uses a Blackberry 10 or a Key except hobbyists, DoD and Canadian Forces still require BlackBerry level security on devices, same for banks and cops. Those contracts are not BYOD, they are blackberry device specific, require push email, not pull, and have to be honoured, so I have no clue how this works out. Most people I know like that have 2 phones, one govt or business issued, and one personal that they use for gaming, photos, anything that doesn't require words to be typed. I've tried using a VKB for years on my iPad and on iphones and can't type anything longer than one sentence, and I get and send hundreds of emails, messages, texts, DMs a day so this is going to be a problem unless I can rig up a copy of that old Ryan Seacrest snap on keyboard for an iPhone.
    If people don't have a pkb on a phone, I see a lot of people carrying a Bluetooth keyboard for their tablets, or carrying small laptops, but they have to set it down to type so it's not very portable.
    Currently researching those mini keyboards that look like Xbox controllers, seeing if I can rig it up to a case with a slab phone. Because this KeyOne is dying, cracked screen, after I dropped it from a second floor balcony. I'm screwed.
    To get into a government building with a non-govt issued phone, like an android or an iPhone by the way, you have to check your phone at the door, it gets locked up in front in your own drawer, turned off, and the cabinet with all the drawers, is basically a giant Faraday cage.
    So in govt offices, I guess we're all going back to passing stickie notes and then ripping them to shreds and scattering the pieces. No one smokes anymore, no ashtrays so it's hard to burn them.
    Sigh
    Shared Services Canada (Canadian Gov IT department) completed its 18 month switchover by Dec 2018, offering Samsung/Android devices to all - in what it called "a new approach to mobile service to better serve its clients, use new technology and adapt to changes in the marketplace."
    Last edited by conite; 01-07-20 at 04:35 PM.
    01-07-20 04:23 PM
    Who is "she"
    You can reply to me directly.
    Key2's are hard to come by these days, yeah, we'll dig one up, but end of the line, means----end of the line.
    Nevermind, I should remember never to comment on a tech forum using a female avatar or name, and never to express an emotion....
    Done here.
    I think you have been very late, on here, to be this upset. We have all done it. Believe me. And being female I can tell you.. ain't no sympathetic males on here

I did work for an area that needed security and they gave up BB years ago. It would have had a shot to keep going if the priv wasn't so bad, but it was and it didn't do the job they needed to do to keep using it.

But the tech people wanted to move on from keyboards. Most people using the phones wanted to move on. I am telling you, BB did not move on to slap phones, that were good, soon enough. They had a chance, they blew it.

So many users would have purchases these phones. Gonna say.. they were looking for the type of an iphone equivalent but made by BB with it's security.
    BB totally miss the boat.

And other companies I know, that move on, wanted the same.

Have to run ..or I Would cry with you
    01-07-20 04:24 PM
    Sigh
    I would get a Red KEY2 and use it for as long as possible.

It is the latest and best BlackBerry device that money can buy.
    01-07-20 04:24 PM
    I think you have been very late, on here, to be this upset. We have all done it. Believe me. And being female I can tell you.. ain't no sympathetic males on here

I did work for an area that needed security and they gave up BB years ago. It would have had a shot to keep going if the priv wasn't so bad, but it was and it didn't do the job they needed to do to keep using it.

But the tech people wanted to move on from keyboards. Most people using the phones wanted to move on. I am telling you, BB did not move on to slap phones, that were good, soon enough. They had a chance, they blew it.

So many users would have purchases these phones. Gonna say.. they were looking for the type of an iphone equivalent but made by BB with it's security.
    BB totally miss the boat.

And other companies I know, that move on, wanted the same.

Have to run ..or I Would cry with you
    Except for me or are we over again?!?!?
    01-07-20 04:41 PM
    Any links on this? Any more info? Is this the hope we have beeb waiting for?)))
    01-07-20 06:15 PM
    Any links on this? Any more info? Is this the hope we have beeb waiting for?)))
    You mean for me with @towngirl ?

She’s just playing hard to get.....
    01-07-20 06:16 PM
    The head of Global Communications and Strategy of BlackBerry Mobile tweeted today that Blackberry Mobile is "still alive and well, today was just TCL brand focused." Taking him at his word, and have no reason to believe that he would lie, we might still see a BlackBerry Mobile KEY3 or other successor device.
    Any links on where to read it? Is this a hope that we have been waiting for?))
    01-07-20 06:16 PM
    Thank you, I'm deleting the rest of my comments, but I appreciate your reply...as to being late to it, I've lurked here for over a decade, had bbs from the start. I wasn't allowed to post anything until recently because reasons, and yes, i probably should have stuck with that, I get overly passionate I guess because these phones have saved lives of people I know more than once. Anyway...I appreciate the kind words xxoo
    Bla1ze and Sigewif like this.
    01-07-20 06:32 PM
    I can't believe I'm being pulled back in...but SSC doesn't do IT for all departments.
    Hopefully never will...ok, I have to stop. Backing away from the keyboard now....
    01-07-20 06:50 PM
    But he didn’t lie. BBMo is alive, well, just never producing another device and being allowed to quietly fade away
    You have no proof and are in effect saying he doesn't mean what he says. If they wanted them to quietly fade they would not have had the display, or if they had the display they would not have also filmed and prominently posted on Instagram, and Twitter, and other social media. That is not quietly fading away.
    Rico4you likes this.
    01-07-20 06:51 PM
    You have no proof and are in effect saying he doesn't mean what he says. If they wanted them to quietly fade they would not have had the display, or if they had the display they would not have also filmed and prominently posted on Instagram, and Twitter, and other social media. That is not quietly fading away.
    They still have thousands of units to dump. They won't hide them until the job is complete.

There is a big difference between a BBMo presence and a small table of 4 BlackBerry devices in a corner of the TCL space.
    01-07-20 07:00 PM
    Any links on where to read it? Is this a hope that we have been waiting for?))

https://twitter.com/JGfromOC/status/...654664192?s=20
    Sigewif and Rico4you like this.
    01-07-20 07:01 PM
    I can't believe I'm being pulled back in...but SSC doesn't do IT for all departments.
    Hopefully never will...ok, I have to stop. Backing away from the keyboard now....
    Why would you back away now when the KEYone/KEY2/LE are still serviceable for years to come?

The day that even the KEY2 with its snapdragon 660 slows to a crawl, then yeah it's definitely time to move on.

But by then, there may be other physical keyboard solutions, whether phones themselves by big/small OEM's or via attachements such as the Typo cases for iPhone.
    01-07-20 07:10 PM
    I think she is not referring to KEY2s but backing away from posting.
    Or did I misread the post?
    Last edited by Sigewif; 01-07-20 at 09:05 PM.
    towngirl likes this.
    01-07-20 08:55 PM
    Get the Red Key2

forget the LE .. that's half of a phone
    the_boon and John Albert like this.
    01-07-20 09:15 PM
    BBMo signed a licensing agreement with performance terms. Recouping as much as possible before settling up with BB only makes sense. Nothing is public and wouldn’t be expected. Just make a common sense educated guess. The slow walk and lack of PIE while introducing cheaper TCL hardware at better value pricing explains where the future economic resources will be spent.
    01-07-20 09:46 PM
    Shared Services Canada (Canadian Gov IT department) completed its 18 month switchover by Dec 2018, offering Samsung/Android devices to all - in what it called "a new approach to mobile service to better serve its clients, use new technology and adapt to changes in the marketplace."
    Absolutely correct.

https://business.financialpost.com/t...le-devices/amp
    01-07-20 11:29 PM
    Yes exactly
    01-08-20 07:41 AM
564 ... 1213141516 ...