No it has to just be better than the current competition.... no one here in the US knows anything about TCL phones of the past.

A friend of mine just got a OnePlus 7 Pro... it is a heck of a package for $499 (direct from OnePlus) and is supported by Verizon (they are rumored to be offering them in the near future). Based on it's specs and the TCL 10 5G, they had better be way under $500. And better have come up with some kinds of actual long term support plan - as in regular UPDATES (PLEX doesn't show much of a change it how they do business).
    Sorry, I keep on forgetting that CrackBerry is largely a USA based fan site now. Not complaining.. just the way it seems to be.
    Last edited by Bbnivende; 01-06-20 at 04:39 PM.
    01-06-20 04:01 PM
    Depends on the yet to be disclosed prices.

TCL is a display maker first and foremost, and the Pro has an "edge-amoled with a quad camera".

The three new phones are being re-branded from Plex to "10".

There are dozens of other good priced phones with AMOLEDs out there.

One can even buy last year's flagships or mid rangers.

There is no reason for these slabs, and I say the same thing for most of them.
    01-06-20 06:52 PM
    There are dozens of other good priced phones with AMOLEDs out there.

One can even buy last year's flagships or mid rangers.

There is no reason for these slabs, and I say the same thing for most of them.
    They also have the first 5G phone based on the mid-range 765 SoC - which should make it well under $500.
    01-06-20 06:55 PM
    The head of Global Communications and Strategy of BlackBerry Mobile tweeted today that Blackberry Mobile is "still alive and well, today was just TCL brand focused." Taking him at his word, and have no reason to believe that he would lie, we might still see a BlackBerry Mobile KEY3 or other successor device.
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-06-20 07:02 PM
    The head of Global Communications and Strategy of BlackBerry Mobile tweeted today that Blackberry Mobile is "still alive and well, today was just TCL brand focused." Taking him at his word, and have no reason to believe that he would lie, we might still see a BlackBerry Mobile KEY3 or other successor device.
    Lol. He still has devices to sell. What else would he say? There is a reason why he didn't throw in that more devices were on the horizon.
    01-06-20 07:32 PM
    Lol. He still has devices to sell. What else would he say? There is a reason why he didn't throw in that more devices were on the horizon.
    He would suggest that people, instead, try the new TCL devices and offer some of the features that might be appealing to current BlackBerry users. No reason to ever be deceptive.
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-06-20 07:45 PM
    His statement wouldn’t be deceptive even with just having devices to sell. It’s just salestalk
    01-06-20 07:48 PM
    They abandoned BlackBerry Mobile and most likely the physical keyboard.

Let's see if people pass on the Plex phones and maybe TCL will give up on smartphones entirely.
    01-06-20 07:55 PM
    His statement wouldn’t be deceptive even with just having devices to sell. It’s just salestalk
    "Salestalk" being the same thing as lying?
    01-06-20 07:55 PM
    "Salestalk" being the same thing as lying?
    But he didn’t lie. BBMo is alive, well, just never producing another device and being allowed to quietly fade away
    app_Developer, phuoc and JeepBB like this.
    01-06-20 08:01 PM
    They abandoned BlackBerry Mobile and most likely the physical keyboard.

Let's see if people pass on the Plex phones and maybe TCL will give up on smartphones entirely.
    They do seem to have abandoned the brand, which would imply that it isn't well. Still, don't think someone would lie on the same date that they are trying to launch a new line of phones.
    01-06-20 08:01 PM
    They do seem to have abandoned the brand, which would imply that it isn't well. Still, don't think someone would lie on the same date that they are trying to launch a new line of phones.
    Eh, doesn't really change a thing.

I did hope that one of the Plex phones would have a keyboard since TCL was starting to get the hang of them, but I guess I was dreaming there too.

Their phones are bland, boring and uninteresting. Just like the majority of slabs that are on the market.

The mobile device market was boring enough as is, but now that BBMo is gone, I don't think I'll be excited for a device for a long, long time.
    01-06-20 08:07 PM
    Everything is sunshine and lollipops until it isn't. He wasn't deceptive. He would be fired if he said they were in trouble, as it would cost the company millions.
    01-06-20 08:24 PM
    It already has. Exactly 3 people care.
    LOL!!!
    01-06-20 08:26 PM
    Everything is sunshine and lollipops until it isn't. He wasn't deceptive. He would be fired if he said they were in trouble.
    If he said that they are "alive and well," while knowing that his statement isn't true, then he'd have misrepresented the truth which is worse than being fired.
    Sigewif likes this.
    01-06-20 08:27 PM
    If he said that they are "alive and well," while knowing that his statement isn't true, then he'd have misrepresented the truth which is worse than being fired.
    Define "well".

One can easily define it as 1) product available, and 2) continued technical support and security updates.
    Troy Tiscareno likes this.
    01-06-20 08:28 PM

I did hope that one of the Plex phones would have a keyboard since TCL was starting to get the hang of them, but I guess I was dreaming there too.

Their phones are bland, boring and uninteresting. Just like the majority of slabs that are on the market.

The mobile device market was boring enough as is, but now that BBMo is gone, I don't think I'll be excited for a device for a long, long time.
    TCL's roadmap has been out since it was leaked back in August.... they seem to be sticking to it. Only thing that will be interesting on it is the FLEXTAB (or whatever the finial name is).
    01-07-20 07:22 AM

CNET called the new TCL phones the prettiest at the CES!
    01-07-20 09:07 AM
    I was hoping that tcl was building a new, non-keyboard, BlackBerry but apparently they ditched us
    01-07-20 09:11 AM
    I was hoping that tcl was building a new, non-keyboard, BlackBerry but apparently they ditched us
    I guess TCL thinks that you would rather pay the small fee for the BlackBerry suite vs the $100 plus fee for the branding , security and apps.

The main issue appears to be that a BlackBerry branded all touch device would create confusion in the US market place and Enterprise customers are not interested. USA carriers will prefer the TCL brand as well.

TCL says that BlackBerry phones are a niche device.
    01-07-20 09:31 AM
    In truth, BlackBerry fans for the most part... ditched them first. I think most everyone here understood they'd need to sell at least 1 Million or more phones every year. Under two million in three years just wasn't enough.

If it was viable to make BlackBerry phones or even just PKB phones.... TCL would be doing it.
    01-07-20 09:35 AM
    LOL.

It couldn't be more obvious that phones are commodities if we're talking about which are "prettiest"!

From the screen of my trusty Z10 using the exceptional BlackBerry VKB.
    01-07-20 10:41 AM
    LOL.

It couldn't be more obvious that phones are commodities if we're talking about which are "prettiest"!

As much as it hurts me to say it, aesthetic does count for something. Otherwise we'd all live in cardboard boxes with no paint.
    01-07-20 11:49 AM
    "ooooooo so pretty"

Form over function in full effect.

I doubt the author who wrote that article on CNET would ever consider using any of the Plex phones.

It's all BS
    01-07-20 12:14 PM
    As much as it hurts me to say it, aesthetic does count for something. Otherwise we'd all live in cardboard boxes with no paint.
    Sure. Since consumers make the purchase decisions, it makes sense to wow them with feathers and glitter. I get that. After all it is called the CONSUMER Electronics Show.

It's just amusing to me, as someone who has never cared about the appearance of my work tech. So long as it doesn't look truly silly, as in a fuschia pink phone with kitten ears, I'm GTG.

01-07-20 12:16 PM
564 ... 1112131415 ...