Seems everything I read these days about Blackberry is negative? When in the name of all that is holy is BB going to start fighting back? This Passport I have is an amazing device yet absolutely NO marketing! I swear if John Chen and Blackberry screw this up, I'm going back to Windows Phone. I love Blackberry and my Passport but I am getting very disappointed in how things are going. There is nothing more for me to do other than shake my head.

Sign me frustrated in Wisconsin
    06-12-15 09:10 AM
    If you love the phone and it's working for you, why would you give it up? This attitude is illogical.

Richard
    06-12-15 09:11 AM
    If you love the phone and it's working for you, why would you give it up? This attitude is illogical.

Richard
    There's more to it than that. I refuse to invest a lot of time and effort in a product that will eventually go away. I prefer to look more long term. For those of you who stay with one phone for years, go for it.

Besides, your answer does not even address my main complaint.
    06-12-15 09:17 AM

Richard
    My thoughts exactly

There's more to it than that. I refuse to invest a lot of time and effort in a product that will eventually go away. I prefer to look more long term.
    I thought that the Passport is good because it saves you a lot of time and effort, not because it would require more of these resources from you
    06-12-15 09:26 AM
    I think the problem is that the CEO is a technocrat. He is good at numbers and quarterly reports but lacks the vision of someone like a Steve Jobs to complete a major turnaround.

This is why you have the fragmented handset offering, a "software company" that makes it exceedingly hard to buy and activate one of its best products (BBM protected) and the staggeringly drunk path the company has walked during this turnaround.

Posted via CB10
    zachgeo, sati01, blackmoe and 2 others like this.
    06-12-15 09:39 AM
    It's all negative because everyone is comparing BB to Apple and Google, where in reality, the company's strategy and target market is not the same. Apple and Google are targeting the mainstream majority, Blackberry accidentally hit the mainstream and now everyone thinks that because they cant compete with Apply or Google they suck... where in reality, they were never about the mainstream, they do what they do very well, which is security, and enterprise communications, that has always been what they are about, and still about...

as soon as you start comparing them to companies like Apple and Google you are putting them into a bucket which they do not belong in, and unfortunately... the majority of people do not know this nor understand it, so you get a bad rep... Blackberry has nothing to prove to that market, and I don't think they care to... they are the leaders in their industry, and that's what they're focusing on... making a commercial on TV saying "our phone is better" would be a step in the wrong direction.

They wont necessarily ever go away completely, because what they do, they do very well for their target market, and there will always be a need for security and enterprise communication....

not to mention QNX is running on practically everything that needs serious stability and security... but thats a different story...
    06-12-15 10:06 AM
    There's more to it than that. I refuse to invest a lot of time and effort in a product that will eventually go away. I prefer to look more long term. For those of you who stay with one phone for years, go for it.

Besides, your answer does not even address my main complaint.
    Your complaint is old. Stop beating a dead horse. BlackBerry is clear on its strategy, it's focus is on the enterprise sector. You expect to see consumer marketing, not in the foreseeable future dude.

Posted via CB10
    acovey and paulbbp like this.
    06-12-15 10:49 AM
    Your complaint is old. Stop beating a dead horse. BlackBerry is clear on its strategy, it's focus is on the enterprise sector. You expect to see consumer marketing, not in the foreseeable future dude.

Posted via CB10
    Then why sell it in consumer stores dude? If you're going to sell it to consumers then at least put a little effort into it. You can start with telling the cellular reps to stop bashing Blackberry and steering customers away.
    zachgeo and Blacklatino like this.
    06-12-15 11:09 AM
    It's all negative because everyone is comparing BB to Apple and Google, where in reality, the company's strategy and target market is not the same. Apple and Google are targeting the mainstream majority, Blackberry accidentally hit the mainstream and now everyone thinks that because they cant compete with Apply or Google they suck... where in reality, they were never about the mainstream, they do what they do very well, which is security, and enterprise communications, that has always been what they are about, and still about...

as soon as you start comparing them to companies like Apple and Google you are putting them into a bucket which they do not belong in, and unfortunately... the majority of people do not know this nor understand it, so you get a bad rep... Blackberry has nothing to prove to that market, and I don't think they care to... they are the leaders in their industry, and that's what they're focusing on... making a commercial on TV saying "our phone is better" would be a step in the wrong direction.

They wont necessarily ever go away completely, because what they do, they do very well for their target market, and there will always be a need for security and enterprise communication....

not to mention QNX is running on practically everything that needs serious stability and security... but thats a different story...
    I've read a lot of stupid things here. You win!! "Accidentally" hit the mainstream? You sound like you are making excuses for their prior success and now you are willing to live with and in fact accept failure as their station in the digital world. BB dropped the ball! That's why they are where they are, Not because they were accidentally successful at one point.
    06-12-15 11:18 AM
    OP.... where have you been for the last two years?

I refuse to invest a lot of time and effort in a product that will eventually go away. I prefer to look more long term.
    Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
    06-12-15 11:25 AM
    as soon as you start comparing them to companies like Apple and Google you are putting them into a bucket which they do not belong in,
    And does it seem to you that Apple and Google are satisfied with just targeting the mainstream consumer market? Is that why Apple has a joint venture with IBM which has IBM sales people selling and supporting Apple devices? Carving out an imaginary niche that BlackBerry can have all to itself doesn't constrain competitors in any way.
    06-12-15 12:12 PM
    I've read a lot of stupid things here. You win!! "Accidentally" hit the mainstream? You sound like you are making excuses for their prior success and now you are willing to live with and in fact accept failure as their station in the digital world. BB dropped the ball! That's why they are where they are, Not because they were accidentally successful at one point.
    Yup, they dropped the ball, but when they started the company their goal wasn't to sell as many phones to as many people as they ended up doing at one point.

And does it seem to you that Apple and Google are satisfied with just targeting the mainstream consumer market? Is that why Apple has a joint venture with IBM which has IBM sales people selling and supporting Apple devices? Carving out an imaginary niche that BlackBerry can have all to itself doesn't constrain competitors in any way.
    nope, doesn't constrain competitors from doing whatever they want, answer to the OP's question as to why there is a "negative" image with Blackberry... when people compare Blackberry to Apple and Google, they automatically think of the "smartphone mainstream" aspect of it, consumer-facing things, phones sold, marketing, "sexyness" etc
    Last edited by Esgetn2hoT; 06-12-15 at 12:53 PM.
    Blacklatino likes this.
    06-12-15 12:41 PM
    Most of the negativity are coming from a bunch of Android trolls. I wouldn't be too concern about it. BlackBerry have made it clear they are devoted to the device business so worrying about it will make you lose more sleep. Just enjoy what you have presently. I am.
    acovey, Deitzanova and 2ndHalfCor like this.
    06-12-15 12:53 PM
    Yup, they dropped the ball, but when they started the company their goal wasn't to sell as many phones to as many people as they ended up doing at one point.
    Well, that's not even slightly true. Their goal was to own the cell market with their new communications device, the Blackberry - read 'Losing the Signal' for good insight. They banked everything on a massive ramp-up to sell to every single consumer. They partnered with one of the biggest phone companies in the U.S., took out massive amounts of debt, put up immense manufacturing operations and had as many as 20,000+ employees.

And, it worked for a long while. Blackberry absolutely dominated the phone market with as much as 50% of sales by 2008, roughly a decade into their Blackberry phone. Their goal was to continue to dominate, just like any company, and they were on top of the world with their founders having net worth's of $4.5 and $3.5 billion respectively.
    jojo beaconsfield likes this.
    06-12-15 01:26 PM
    Most of the negativity are coming from a bunch of Android trolls. I wouldn't be too concern about it. BlackBerry have made it clear they are devoted to the device business so worrying about it will make you lose more sleep. Just enjoy what you have presently. I am.
    Who the hell knows, some days it's pretty depressing in here. I think people are pretty harsh on BlackBerry but I would like to think a lot of people would also get behind them as they start to trend. Just my opinion.

Let's just enjoy the ride. Lots of goods things happening right now.

Posted via CB10
    06-12-15 02:19 PM
    Really? Android trolls? How's the kool-aid?

Posted via the CrackBerry App for Android
    06-12-15 02:46 PM
    OP.... where have you been for the last two years?

Fool me once, shame on you; fool me twice, shame on me.
    Fool me ten times....
    06-12-15 02:59 PM
    Actually in this thread(and many like it) the negativity and downright hostility is coming from the Blackberry fans. I guess that will show you OP.
    06-12-15 03:04 PM
    Blackberry turnaround is a myth. John Chen is an Android from Google. The end is nigh. =)
    06-12-15 03:19 PM
    There's more to it than that. I refuse to invest a lot of time and effort in a product that will eventually go away.
    So, by your logic, we should never invest in any technology, since it's all going away. Nice strategy. Let me know how that works out for you.
    06-12-15 03:25 PM
    I think the problem is that the CEO is a technocrat. He is good at numbers and quarterly reports but lacks the vision of someone like a Steve Jobs to complete a major turnaround.

This is why you have the fragmented handset offering, a "software company" that makes it exceedingly hard to buy and activate one of its best products (BBM protected) and the staggeringly drunk path the company has walked during this turnaround.

Posted via CB10
    Apparently you're not familiar with his background. He's actually very familiar with the industry. He began his career as a design engineer in the Tech industry. And was able to turn Sybase (now SAP) around to substantial profitability when they were written off worse than BBRY. He isn't some schmoe with a business degree. He actually knows a bit about what he's doing.

Penned via Tapatalk
    06-12-15 03:57 PM
    So, by your logic, we should never invest in any technology, since it's all going away. Nice strategy. Let me know how that works out for you.
    I believe they were referring to the short term, not ever.
    06-12-15 04:08 PM
    John Chen isnt doing what he promised. He is just not admitting how terrible the situation is right now. John Chen just pretending that everything is fine and BB is going great. @JohnChen if everything is fine, then why do you wish to consider Android on Blackberrys?
    He just cant handle it.
    06-12-15 04:15 PM
    Nothing much,that's the problem.
    06-12-15 04:17 PM
    I find the 'NO marketing' thing, pretty interesting....it is 2015, if I have something I want to know, I search for it. 'Spoon feeding' the masses is what the the 'others' do pretty well. They 'sell' emotions and feelings...you 'need' this phone, because it will make you 'feel good'. If I saw a BlackBerry commercial on TV with silhouettes 'dancing' to EDM, I would be in complete utter shock....in my opinion, BlackBerry just needs a focus on marketing the brand. People will come and the ones already in the know, will continue to stay, if they know the brand is still strong. I don't own a BlackBerry Passport for people to accept me, the phones does what I need....end of story.
    schlemer and acovey like this.
    06-12-15 04:50 PM
56 123