I would say it's inherently unsafe to use any OS with as many security holes as Android no matter what its iteration. It's inherently more safe to use a device with only a runtime, though as others have noted avoiding Android as a whole is the best option.
    The newest version of Android with most of the published issues fixed and with their new permissions system is better than an old runtime.

But I would agree that for myself and my family we do our banking on iOS. Again always latest version only and only on devices with hardware secure elements.
    09-19-19 04:56 PM
    I would say it's inherently unsafe to use any OS with as many security holes as Android no matter what its iteration. It's inherently more safe to use a device with only a runtime, though as others have noted avoiding Android as a whole is the best option.
    Yet the same company that said the Android 4.3 Runtime wasn't safe for corporate use says:

"BlackBerry and Samsung combine to offer enterprises a tightly integrated, secure end-to-end Android solution. By pairing secure BlackBerry enterprise solutions with the Samsung Knox Platform defense-grade security foundation for Android, organizations can benefit from enhanced security and compliance, as well as increased workforce productivity."
    09-19-19 05:00 PM
    Yet the same company that said the Android 4.3 Runtime wasn't safe for corporate use says:

"BlackBerry and Samsung combine to offer enterprises a tightly integrated, secure end-to-end Android solution. By pairing secure BlackBerry enterprise solutions with the Samsung Knox Platform defense-grade security foundation for Android, organizations can benefit from enhanced security and compliance, as well as increased workforce productivity."
    And that is the same company which also says other things regarding BB10 support that certain parties refuse to acknowledge. I will employ an argument that those folks use in response:

This statement does not specifically state that Android is secure, or indeed that Blackberry recommends Android--it only references "secure Blackberry enterprise solutions" which can refer to Blackberry Balance and similar items that do not run on the Android platform.

It also only refers to "enhanced" security, which essentially means that while it's more secure than using Android without Blackberry's solutions, it does not say it's secure entirely.
    09-19-19 05:03 PM
    And that is the same company which also says other things regarding BB10 support that certain parties refuse to acknowledge. I will employ an argument that those folks use in response:

This statement does not specifically state that Android is secure, or indeed that Blackberry recommends Android--it only references "secure Blackberry enterprise solutions" which can refer to Blackberry Balance and similar items that do not run on the Android platform.

It also only refers to "enhanced" security, which essentially means that while it's more secure than using Android without Blackberry's solutions, it does not say it's secure entirely.
    It is specifically referring to BlackBerry UEM and its ability to work with Samsung Knox in order to provide a "tightly integrated, secure end-to-end Android solution".
    09-19-19 05:07 PM
    It is specifically referring to BlackBerry UEM and its ability to work with Samsung Knox in order to provide a "tightly integrated, secure end-to-end Android solution".
    As some might say regarding other statements from Blackberry Limited, that is not what the statement you quoted specifically states.
    09-19-19 05:16 PM
    As some might say regarding other statements from Blackberry Limited, that is not what the statement you quoted specifically states.
    But we already know that's what it is.

https://www.samsungknox.com/en/blog/...tion-solutions

"One of the first outputs of this partnership will be that joint enterprise customers using Samsung devices with Knox Platform for Enterprise and Samsung DeX will gain the ability – out-of-the-box – to manage all those devices on a single pane of glass via the BlackBerry Universal Endpoint Management (UEM) platform."

And here's the first slide from the BlackBerry blog I quoted above:
    09-19-19 05:16 PM
    But we already know that's what it is.
    We know many things regarding BBL's statements.
    09-19-19 05:19 PM
    In what may be a unique circumstance for these types of discussions, conite actually made my argument for me by stating that the runtime is not vulnerable to Stagefright.
    Conite quoted BlackBerry, Stagefright is multiple vulnerabilities and the write up is saying that only some of the vulnerabilities will impact BB10 under specific circumstances (i.e., you have an Android app installed that uses SMS/MMS functionality).

As for security...let me see if I understand this: Blackberry Balance completely disables Android access to corporate data when a device is only using a runtime...and yet it's somehow considered secure in general to use Android apps on a full Android OS to access sensitive banking data and the like.
    When BB10 was actively developed? Absolutely. Many enterprise users had very specific security requirements that only BlackBerry and their operating systems could meet at the time. This could have been code specific or simply certifications they had. In recent years iOS and Android have pretty much caught up.
    09-20-19 12:12 AM
108 ... 345