For me, work gave away some used ones. Having always been a computer and tech hobbyist, I started out trying a 7100g. Intrigued, I moved up to an 8700g and got the data plan. That's really when I realized what all the fuss was about. Now have my 8310 and haven't looked back. I'll be a lifer.

Posted from my CrackBerry at wapforums.crackberry.com
    12-29-08 01:56 AM
    Felt like if you had a berry back then you were about business. At that time I just joined at&t and wanted to climb the ladder fast... well I bought it from someone that was exiting the company for $100 (brand new 8700c).
    12-29-08 02:29 AM
    Well. I upgrade two to three phones per year. Two years ago I had an LG Env from verizon. It was awesome I was one of the few that had it. Well last year everyone and their mother had one and I was looking to upgrade again. I have to have the newest obviously. Well I now the blackberry curve is not new but it is (was) new to the verizon network this year. And that is how I ended up getting a blackberry. I think the having 3 to 4 phones a year tradition is officially dead. Lol.

12-29-08 02:45 AM
    12-29-08 04:26 AM
    I looked at the "enabled" phone offerings when I renewed my contract. Didn't like what I saw. The young lady assisting us listened to my needs and pointed to the other side of the store and told me to look at the BlackBerry smartphones, as I had already learned enough to avoid Palms like a Tabasco enema. Picking up the Curve caused my hands to sing, the scales fell from my eyes, and an addiction was born!

12-29-08 05:52 AM
    iPhone - $150/month

Blackberry - $55/month

12-29-08 05:56 AM
    Picking up the Curve caused my hands to sing, the scales fell from my eyes, and an addiction was born!
    Good lord!! I just about threw up reading that. Hyperbole or humor aside, you
    do realize that it is just a f'n phone.
    12-29-08 05:59 AM
    I must admit the Storm brought me to Blackberry. I had the LG Voyager before this and I was completely satisfied with it. I can say that in the short time that I've owned my storm, I have been converted: Blackberry for life!!
    12-29-08 06:28 AM
    The whole family got new cell phones for Christmas as it was time to re-up anyway. Hubby got a BB Pearl and I was jealous of his data plan... hey, I'm being honest here, so I convinced him that I needed a BB too! I picked out the Curve 8330 and am incredibly hooked!
    12-29-08 07:12 AM
    I wanted email and I wanted to upgrade my old Sony Clie'. I'd be out of the office for meetings, or for vacation and find a pile of emails that were pretty overwhelming ( one of my clients has no impulse control). Having my BB to respond to a few important emails save a lot of heartburn.

When I got it I had no idea how good the internet really was on it, especially the web short cuts. I also didn't know about the movie camera or music player.

The bluetooth options are great. I got a Motoroker T505 for xmas and both the phone and music playing through my car radio are great.

Love my BB.
    12-29-08 07:18 AM
    Hey, try having a sense of humor about things. Having access to all your information on the go is a rip compared to the limitations of just "a phone" as you so cynically mock.*You* may be so jaded that this is just a toy or convenience, but I have spent a great deal of time trying to access information that some take for granted. I spent years trying to find a working phone that didn't smell like a cigarette or vomit, then the cell became affordable. Now, in this biz, information is money, and now I can what I find what I need at my fingertips w/o a big hardware cash investment. Am I tickled? U betcha! So I'm gettin to have some fun, and it'll take more than a couple of negative comments to spoil it.

12-29-08 08:25 AM
    For me, at first it was a business tool. Then as I discovered it's capabilities, it evolved as an entertainment resource. Now it goes where ever I go.

The great invention: The Blackberry

12-29-08 08:35 AM
    It was free.
    12-29-08 09:21 AM
    I'm not gonna lie...i first got a pearl because i saw it had come to verizon and it was pink and it was SOOOOO cute! My ex bought it for me for an early bday present. lol. I didnt learn the functionality till after i found this site
    12-29-08 09:25 AM
    It is all my old boss' fault- he showed me the bbm on the work berry and it was over. When I knew I was leaving my old job I bought a personal blackberry and found all the other cool stuff I could do- bbm took a back seat Its sad but true- my berry goes everywhere with me- I left it at home the other day and we went back to the house to get it- even though we were half way to our destination.
    12-29-08 09:55 AM
    I had no desire to use a BlackBerry at all (was using a Razr, and was perfectly happy with it as a cell phone only phone), and didn't want it because I felt having one meant that I would have to work more since it would make me look at it when I was home with my family. However, my office finally forced one upon me (an old 7290 I think), and once I started using it, loved that I could actually get things done prior to coming into the office, so I actually had less to do when I came back to the office. I was hooked so much that I ended up replacing my personal phone (the razr), with a Pearl 8120.

Since then, my work has updated my BlackBerry to an 8700, and soon it will be a Curve, and I also still carry my Pearl as my personal phone. Love it!
    12-29-08 10:09 AM
    I wasn't looking specifically for a BlackBerry, but after searching on Craigslist for a new phone, I found a really good deal on my 8130. I did some research on it, since I wasn't so familiar with BlackBerries, and decided that it was what I wanted. I've loved it ever since!
    12-30-08 12:24 AM
    Well at first I thought it would make me look and feel important LOL. And I was reading the site and all the fuss made want one even more. Then when I actually got it, I did feel important LOL. But now I'm just plained ol' addicted... Even though my phone is under repair =(
    12-30-08 02:29 AM
    Basically as a teacher I got tired of having information all over the place.Address Book,day planners and calenders... had to streamline it all!
    12-30-08 02:34 AM
    I am a gadget geek. I really wanted something different than the boring phones that I could buy. Also, I make little reminders a lot, check my email a lot, and so on.

I realized I needed a smart phone, but wasn't sure who to go with. Ended up buying a BlackBerry and became instantly hooked.
    12-30-08 08:29 AM
    i went back to vzw for a work phone and got the lg voyager. that one turned off and wouldnt turn back on, got a second one and that one did the same thing. i was going on a business trip and could not be without a phone. i got the bb 8830 because i wanted the email and it was gonig to be the same price as i was paying before. and now i have had nothing but trouble with the bb we too. (i am on my third phone and will be on my fourth soon. - and i have had the darn thing since nov 14 - 2 new ones in the last week)

i hate verizon
    12-30-08 08:56 AM
    I never wanted one at first because i thought it was just too much in one device then i had to help a friend fix his pearl and fell in love. I bought one like 2 weeks later! And I have successfully talked my bf out of buying an iPhone and into a Blackberry either Bold or Storm.
    12-30-08 09:05 AM
    The georgeous screen on the Bold
    12-30-08 09:15 AM
    I had a Sidekick II and then a Kyocera Strobe, both of which had full querty keyboards...a feature which I soon learned I couldn't live without! Both had email capability...sort of...didn't work all that great. And I started a new job as an outside sales rep, which required keeping up with business contacts, tasks and a calendar. I used my Pocket PC but soon tired of carrying around two devices. And I was eligible for an upgrade. I knew I wanted a Smartphone, and was pretty sure I wanted a Blackberry because I had several friends and coworkers who have them. But the *&%$@ sales rep (not my usual one) talked me into a Treo. BAD IDEA! After 5 months and 3 replacement phones, I went to my usual sales rep (who shook his head and said he wished he'd been there that day because he NEVER would have sold me a Treo...Blackberry for him all the way!) and he got his manager to replace the evil Treo with my Curve 8330. I'm a convert, an addict, and probably a lifer now!
    12-30-08 09:25 AM
    I am all about phones, had the iPhone (s) (both 1st gen and 2nd). While I had the iPhone one of my buddies showed me bbm and how fast he got email on his phone, after placing with the World Edition I knew I wanted one....my first BB was the Curve (to hold me over for 30 days) and then now Bold. Not leaving anytime soon
    12-30-08 11:05 AM
50 12
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD